PDA

View Full Version : Does hair grow slower as you age?

RavenBaby
December 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM
My friend is extremely convinced that a 22 year old's hair will grow slower than a 15 year old or a 16 year old's hair, I assume she means slightly slower per month or whatever but does anyone else think this might not be true? I would love to hear what everyone thinks of this claim. Is this a misconception maybe? thanks so much :).

Sarahlabyrinth
December 6th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I think probably not - unless you are talking extreme old age - and 22 doesn't come into that category :)

Though growth can certainly slow down or even stop due to stress, poor diet, illness, etc.

dulce
December 6th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm 62,no heat,no dye,no chemicals,no smoking and good nutrition and it still grows at the rate it did when I was younger,about an inch a month.Hairdressers[in past when I went to them,now I don't anymore]used to always comment on my fast growth.So age doesn't always do that.
I am battling early breast cancer[no chemo] and it has shed due to stress/surgeries but the growth has not altered.

Madora
December 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Your hair growth rate slows down once you are past 55 (at least that's what happened to me).

The rate of growth depends on a great many things, diet, activity level, genes, medicines being taken, how well (or not) the scalp is stimulated to encourage growth. It is very possible for the 20 something to have faster growth than the younger person...and vice versa!

spidermom
December 6th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Last I measured, I had about 2/3 inch growth per month. It might have been faster when I was younger, however.

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2014, 09:20 PM
My growth has always been about the same.
The color changed in my 20's, and I know others who have experienced changes in color or texture from hormonal or medical drama. (Having children, chemotherapy, whatever...)

chen bao jun
December 6th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I don't know how fast my hair grew when I was younger, as I wasn't interested in having extremely long hair and didn't pay attention. (I also pretty much ripped it out at a rapid fate). But I am 57, started on the LHC at age 55, post menopausal and have not been having any trouble growing. And since I have better hair practices, I retain my growth. So even if I did grow faster younger, I don't believe it actually matters much.
I'd be surprised if there was a difference between age 15 and age 20, though. If there is a difference, it would be after menopause, and plenty of us on this forum are post menopausal and still growing hair, so there is no reason to stress..

mica
December 7th, 2014, 04:44 AM
I've heard one's growth rate can slow down at a certain age or after menopause, but as others have pointed out, I believe how well you've been treating your hair, your overall health and your genes play a big role in it. My mother is in her mid-50s and her hair is growing as fast as always, between 1,5 and 2 cm per month (she keeps complaining about how often she was to retouch her roots :p)

Nique1202
December 7th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Our bodies have hormonal and metabolic changes well after puberty, so it's possible for one's growth rate to slow down during one phase of life and speed up during another. I can say that my mom just turned 50 and her hair still grows almost an inch a month, just like mine.

Baby_doll
December 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I think for some people yes it could, but if it's a short age difference like your friends I doubt it, it's more likely nutrition differences or stress. My grandmother who's 71 her hair grows very fast, waaaaaaay faster then mine and I'm 16. She doesn't like it though because she'd prefer her hair be thicker instead of longer (I'd totally trade!) but it just goes to show that age doesn't always effect that sort of thing. Perhaps your friend is just THINKING it grew faster. Like how if you think about how fast time went by when you were younger it may seem like time has slowed. Matter of perception.

lapushka
December 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm over 40 now and it's half an inch a month, same as when I was younger (I think).

Garnetgem
January 20th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Not noticed any difference my hair grows just as fast now as it did 20 years ago.

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I haven't noticed any change in my growth rate as I've gotten older, personally.

PixiePoesie
January 20th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Im over fifty and my hair grows at the same rate as it always has - fast! Short pixie to classic in six years. However, like just about all matters physiological, diet, exercise, stress are factors to consider when analyzing hair growth. Don't stress, be healthy and take in all the great hair advice here, and you should be just fine. Happy growing!:)

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 03:46 PM
I'm 64 and grew from chin to hip in 3 years with trims...no slowing rate there :D

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I'm 64 and grew from chin to hip in 3 years with trims...no slowing rate there :D

That's amazing!!:agape:

Deborah
January 20th, 2016, 08:32 PM
I don't think mine grows any slower now, and I am 63. My 85 year old Mum's hair still grows fast too. She has truly beautiful, soft, silky silver hair.

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2016, 09:29 PM
That's amazing!!:agape:
I know right?! I sure am lol :)

I don't think mine grows any slower now, and I am 63. My 85 year old Mum's hair still grows fast too. She has truly beautiful, soft, silky silver hair.

On cool...another granny :wink:
Cherish having your Mum; mine passed away 6 years ago already (she was 82).

Mirabele
January 21st, 2016, 12:37 AM
i believe yes, it may grow slower with age, but i think we speak about some time around 60 or a decade later. don't think there is any difference whether you 22 or 15. if someone experiences slower growth, it must be due to other factors (nutrition, general body health ..)