PDA

View Full Version : Protein and silicones?

Baby_doll
December 6th, 2014, 04:21 PM
So my ends need some protein, and I have a protein treatment buuuut it also has silicones, and I know those can cause problems especially since I'm a water only girl. But my ends neeeeeeeeeeed protein. My hair is very delicate and fine. But my ends really need protein. Would vinegar get the silicones out??? I'm not sure, advice?

Baby_doll
December 6th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Sorry about the title. LHC does not work well on my iPod -.-

Anje
December 6th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Sorry about the title. LHC does not work well on my iPod -.-

What were you going for? I can change it for you. :)

Oddly, in my line of work, "proteinase" is an entirely acceptable word, though it's not something I'd be trying to put on my hair!

--------

Answering your question, I don't think WO is going to get the silicones out, but I have an alternative to suggest.

Get some low-sodium soy sauce or some Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Both are hydrolyzed protein and have been reported to work well for protein treatments. Dissolve a little in water, like 1 Tablespoon in 1 cup of water. Dunk your ends in, pour it over your hair, and let it sit in there for a while (maybe 30 minutes?) before rinsing it out. See if that doesn't do the trick without disrupting your routine much.

If you're like me and end up with rough, stiff hair after protein treatments, you might need to soak in something moisturizing after that. Adding some honey or glycerin might help.

Baby_doll
December 6th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Lol it was suppose to be protein and silicones. But my iPod had other ideas on what it was supposed to be called.

Anje
December 6th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Ha! I know how that goes. My Android phone has similar goofy ideas.

Alexa
December 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I use a couple of protein treatments without silicones. They are pretty gentle, too. They are marketed toward curly hair, but work for any wave pattern. Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein Treatment and Curl Junkie Repair Me! Both brands also sell conditioners with some protein (less than the treatments) which can be used more regularly and really benefit my fine hair.

Hotrox
December 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM
How do you intend to get the protein treatment out of your hair? Just with water? You could use diluted shampoo just this once to wash it out and the cones off. Or as others recommended using a natural alternative that'll rinse easily with water.

mica
December 7th, 2014, 04:10 AM
What silicones does the protein treatment have? Some are water soluble or can be washed out with gentle cleansers, in which case a vinegar rinse may work.

RainbowBowser
December 7th, 2014, 04:23 AM
Not sure how to help you there but for future reference DermOrganic Deep Repair Masque has protein in it and it is a godsend, no cones in it.

Panth
December 7th, 2014, 06:27 AM
What silicones does the protein treatment have? Some are water soluble or can be washed out with gentle cleansers, in which case a vinegar rinse may work.

Vinegar rinses are not cleansers. Nor are they clarifyers. Vinegar rinses would be no better than water.

However, I do agree that if the 'cones are water soluble ones then you should have no problem adding them to a WO routine.

MissMoppet
December 7th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Yes, the type of silicones are key. Can you post a pic of the label, or write out what silicones are listed?

Baby_doll
December 7th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Here's a list, I can't figure out how to work pics on here (I'm a bit of a ditz at times, it's ok)
I looked over it and only really found this one, i thought there was a ton more Amodimethicone. Wht types of silicones are water soluble? Is this one?

Baby_doll
December 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Here's a list, I can't figure out how to work pics on here (I'm a bit of a ditz at times, it's ok)
I looked over it and only really found this one, i thought there was a ton more Amodimethicone. Wht types of silicones are water soluble? Is this one?

Baby_doll
December 7th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I have a sulphate free shampoo that I can dilute and put where I used the silicones, but if much rather not use anything that will mess with my 2.5 months of water only.