PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels wet when it's dry!

Number 3
December 6th, 2014, 12:37 AM
It's weird, I noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed it in the middle of my hair, while both roots and ends are normal.

It feels cold wet/damp.

kaydana
December 6th, 2014, 02:41 AM
How do you wash and dry your hair?

darklyndsea
December 6th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Sometimes that happens to me if I'm not careful to wash out all of the conditioner. It's also sometimes really hard to tell if my hair is wet, or if it's just cold.

Number 3
December 6th, 2014, 04:53 AM
How do you wash and dry your hair?

I use shampoo bars and follow up with ACV rinse (1-2 cap full to 12 oz glass of water)

I use a microfiber towel. Air dry only

Sometimes that happens to me if I'm not careful to wash out all of the conditioner. It's also sometimes really hard to tell if my hair is wet, or if it's just cold.

I don't use conditioner.

fiğrildi
December 6th, 2014, 05:24 AM
It's possible that your current washing routine is not working out very well. If your roots are clean, maybe you didn't wash thoroughly the middle part of your hair (and therefore it's a bit greasy ---> wet feeling).
Maybe you could co-wash: if the wet effect dissapears, perhaps you should consider a change in your hair routine.

My hair used to feel that way as well, for some weeks, after I had an accident involving vaseline, clay, plaster and washing-up liquid (don't ask me how it ended up in my hair... it was such a nightmare to get rid of all of that mess).

kaydana
December 6th, 2014, 05:29 AM
My advice would be to start by clarifying (make sure you do all of your hair, don't just shampoo your scalp). If that doesn't fix the problem, try a protein treatment (I recommend using gelatin if you want to go home made, or you can buy a protein treatment. Don't bother with home made protein treatments involving yoghurt or egg, they contain the wrong types of protein and don't work) and see how your hair feels after that.

If you ever bun your hair while damp, stop doing that and make sure you leave your hair down until it is completely dry.

spidermom
December 6th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I agree - clarify. I recommend using a clarifying shampoo, not baking soda. BS can dry your hair out so bad!

Johannah
December 6th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Another vote for clarifying. My hair feels like that when I have build-up or too much product in my hair.

KittyBird
December 6th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Do you wash your entire length with shampoo bars, or just the scalp? How long have you used them? I got that "wet" hair in the beginning when I used shampoo bars, because I only washed my roots. I thought the length would get cleaned when the soap was rinsed out, but it didn't work for me. I had to slide the bar all over my length, and then carefully squeeze the soap into the hair to get it clean. :)

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2014, 11:18 AM
One of our members here had wet feeling hair that was cold and damp and she was using glycerin in it. That was likely the cause, but I never heard back whether the dampness ended with discontinuation of the glycerin.

meteor
December 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
My advice would be to start by clarifying (make sure you do all of your hair, don't just shampoo your scalp). If that doesn't fix the problem, try a protein treatment (I recommend using gelatin if you want to go home made, or you can buy a protein treatment. Don't bother with home made protein treatments involving yoghurt or egg, they contain the wrong types of protein and don't work) and see how your hair feels after that. If you ever bun your hair while damp, stop doing that and make sure you leave your hair down until it is completely dry. I agree with this wholeheartedly. Also, you mentioned that you use shampoo bars, and those are often rich in oils and glycerin, which can definitely create that "wet" feeling on hair if used in large quantities. Soaps/shampoo bars can also leave a residue behind. I recommend clarifying with a standard or clarifying shampoo to remove this build-up, not soap/bar, not baking soda, not herbs/clays at this moment. Good luck! :)

Number 3
December 6th, 2014, 06:29 PM
It's possible that your current washing routine is not working out very well. If your roots are clean, maybe you didn't wash thoroughly the middle part of your hair (and therefore it's a bit greasy ---> wet feeling).
Maybe you could co-wash: if the wet effect dissapears, perhaps you should consider a change in your hair routine.

My hair used to feel that way as well, for some weeks, after I had an accident involving vaseline, clay, plaster and washing-up liquid (don't ask me how it ended up in my hair... it was such a nightmare to get rid of all of that mess).

No, it's not greasy, I know how greasy feels.
I did co wash twice and the wet feeling was present.

My advice would be to start by clarifying (make sure you do all of your hair, don't just shampoo your scalp). If that doesn't fix the problem, try a protein treatment (I recommend using gelatin if you want to go home made, or you can buy a protein treatment. Don't bother with home made protein treatments involving yoghurt or egg, they contain the wrong types of protein and don't work) and see how your hair feels after that.

If you ever bun your hair while damp, stop doing that and make sure you leave your hair down until it is completely dry.

I clarify every now and then. I use Tresemme shampoo deep cleanse with vitamin C.
I've been searching for a protein treatment, never thought of gelatin. Does it matter if I used vegan gelatin?
Or do you recommend other protein treatment product that I can buy with no silicon?

I never bun my hair damp, gives my scalp a bad smell.

Do you wash your entire length with shampoo bars, or just the scalp? How long have you used them? I got that "wet" hair in the beginning when I used shampoo bars, because I only washed my roots. I thought the length would get cleaned when the soap was rinsed out, but it didn't work for me. I had to slide the bar all over my length, and then carefully squeeze the soap into the hair to get it clean. :)

Yes entire length. I've been on them I think since February.

One of our members here had wet feeling hair that was cold and damp and she was using glycerin in it. That was likely the cause, but I never heard back whether the dampness ended with discontinuation of the glycerin.

Not using any glycerin or serums.

Thanks everyone, I have clarified my hair before and I clarified it 2 days ago.

Will see what happens after the protein treatment.

rusika1
December 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Vegan gelatins (at least the seaweed based ones) are made up of polysaccharides, not collagen, and probably aren't useful for protein treatments.

kaydana
December 7th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Vegan gelatins won't work. If you're vegan/vegetarian you'll need to look for a commercial protein treatment. I'm afraid I can't help you there because I don't use them.

Number 3
December 7th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Oh, ok. I'll be buying regular geltain.

Can I have your input on the following: (should I buy them or not for protein treatments)
- Bragg's liquid Aminos
- Soy sauce (any brand)
- Collagen powder (maybe from meiji?)

Henrietta
December 9th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Can you ger hydrolysed keratin/silk somewhere? I get mine in an on-line shop for people who make their own beauty products. Not chemists at all, it's for everyone :) That would be best as a protein treatment...

I think protein treatment will work if what you have is over-moisturised hair. (Hence Laura's mentioning of glycerine.) Proteins balance humectants that way.

Anje
December 9th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Oh, ok. I'll be buying regular geltain.

Can I have your input on the following: (should I buy them or not for protein treatments)
- Bragg's liquid Aminos
- Soy sauce (any brand)
- Collagen powder (maybe from meiji?)

I've heard of people doing mild protein treatments with either Bragg's or low-sodium soy sauce (less salt in the hair!). Usually it's diluted in water (I think 1 Tbsp in 1 cup was the ratio I saw, but I'm sure you can adjust it), rinsed through the hair, and left in for a while before being rinsed out. Sounds like the results were pretty positive. I've tried it once or twice myself, and my hair felt mildly proteined. :) My hair doesn't like too much protein and then only occasionally, so mine were intentionally dilute.

If you're trying for vegan, then you'll want to avoid gelatin, collagen, keratin, and silk. If you're not -- go for it!

Number 3
December 11th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Can you ger hydrolysed keratin/silk somewhere? I get mine in an on-line shop for people who make their own beauty products. Not chemists at all, it's for everyone :) That would be best as a protein treatment...

I think protein treatment will work if what you have is over-moisturised hair. (Hence Laura's mentioning of glycerine.) Proteins balance humectants that way.

I thought of buying it, but how did you feel it helped your hair? Did you try gelatin? which one do you prefer?

I've heard of people doing mild protein treatments with either Bragg's or low-sodium soy sauce (less salt in the hair!). Usually it's diluted in water (I think 1 Tbsp in 1 cup was the ratio I saw, but I'm sure you can adjust it), rinsed through the hair, and left in for a while before being rinsed out. Sounds like the results were pretty positive. I've tried it once or twice myself, and my hair felt mildly proteined. :) My hair doesn't like too much protein and then only occasionally, so mine were intentionally dilute.

If you're trying for vegan, then you'll want to avoid gelatin, collagen, keratin, and silk. If you're not -- go for it!

I'll go for it, but which one did you like the best?

Anje
December 11th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I'll go for it, but which one did you like the best?
Honestly, all I've ever done is just a drizzle of soy sauce. My hair really doesn't care for protein more than rarely, and I still pair it up with something moisturizing or it'll go completely stiff. (I've read a lot about it though, partly in trying to figure out why my hair is weird about it.)

Most peoples' hair is less picky than mine about protein avoidance, though.

Number 3
December 12th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Honestly, all I've ever done is just a drizzle of soy sauce. My hair really doesn't care for protein more than rarely, and I still pair it up with something moisturizing or it'll go completely stiff. (I've read a lot about it though, partly in trying to figure out why my hair is weird about it.)

Most peoples' hair is less picky than mine about protein avoidance, though.

Oh.
I just shampooed my hair with a shampoo bar, and dilluted soy sauce and soaked my hair in it, let it for 3-5 mins and rinsed it. I wanted to follow it up with ACV rinse but I was out.

My hair feels weird, I don't know what's the correct word but I feel it's a tiny bit on the stiff side. Noticed a slight reduction in frizz, and I feel it's a bit thick, or feels like I haven't washed my hair well (it's just how it feels, I rinsed it a couple of times)

I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow without the shampoo, but this time I'll finish off with ACV rinse.

As for the wet feeling , it's actually gone before I started the protein thing, I'm thinking it might be coconut oil ?!

Anje
December 12th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Oh.
I just shampooed my hair with a shampoo bar, and dilluted soy sauce and soaked my hair in it, let it for 3-5 mins and rinsed it. I wanted to follow it up with ACV rinse but I was out.

My hair feels weird, I don't know what's the correct word but I feel it's a tiny bit on the stiff side. Noticed a slight reduction in frizz, and I feel it's a bit thick, or feels like I haven't washed my hair well (it's just how it feels, I rinsed it a couple of times)

I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow without the shampoo, but this time I'll finish off with ACV rinse.

As for the wet feeling , it's actually gone before I started the protein thing, I'm thinking it might be coconut oil ?!
Did you clarify? A stronger washing would be a likely culprit for making the hair not feel wet. Coconut oil would actually make mine feel more wet while it was in, but it's possible that it helped dissolve something so it was more easily removed.

The weird stiff hair thing is definitely a result of the soy sauce. It's a pretty standard result from a protein treatment. If it's too much (especially if the hair feels rough and tangly), you'll want to do something moisturizing afterward. For me, an SMT or a soak in conditioner is the default for that, and it counters the effect well.

Number 3
January 4th, 2015, 01:46 AM
I think the wet feeling is caused by coconut oil. But is is a good sign?

lapushka
January 4th, 2015, 09:10 AM
I think it would be best to stop putting things in your hair. Just simply shampoo and condition, and see what that does.

Johannah
January 4th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I think the wet feeling is caused by coconut oil. But is is a good sign?

What do you mean exactly? Maybe you didn't wash it out properly.

Number 3
January 6th, 2015, 12:24 AM
I think it would be best to stop putting things in your hair. Just simply shampoo and condition, and see what that does.

For how long? a week?

What do you mean exactly? Maybe you didn't wash it out properly.
You know the feeling when you hold coconut oil in your hand? feels wet and cold.
Same feeling in my hair but the coconut oil is washed out properly. My hair doesn't look or feel oil/greasy.

It made think of that is when I did a coconut oil treatment and as soon as I scooped the coconut oil, it just snapped! same feeling.

lapushka
January 6th, 2015, 06:27 AM
For how long? a week?

I don't know how much you wash, but I'd say at least 2 washes. If not more. And why put all that stuff in your hair, anyway if it doesn't agree with you?

meteor
January 6th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Number 3, yes, at this point it does sound like typical over-oiling. Many of us have been there at some point or other. :) I'd lay off oils until your hair goes back to normal after a few washes, and then, if you do decide to start oiling again, use much less: a small fingernail amount or a couple drops should be more than enough at this length. No need to swear off oils altogether, just go much lighter. Check out how little some LHC-ers use successfully even on extremely long hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Number 3
January 11th, 2015, 04:42 AM
I don't know how much you wash, but I'd say at least 2 washes. If not more. And why put all that stuff in your hair, anyway if it doesn't agree with you?

The wet feeling gives the feeling of a moisturized hair, I don't know if it's a good thing or not.

The reason for me is because I'm trying to have healthy hair, the other day I heard the hair stylist saying if you want t see a healthy hair keratin look at a child's hair 2-4 years old, because they don't use heat/products.
I'm trying to achieve that since my hair was damaged, trying to grow healthy hair with at least 80-90% damage free. Staying away from cones and heat and other ingredients.

Number 3, yes, at this point it does sound like typical over-oiling. Many of us have been there at some point or other. I'd lay off oils until your hair goes back to normal after a few washes, and then, if you do decide to start oiling again, use much less: a small fingernail amount or a couple drops should be more than enough at this length. No need to swear off oils altogether, just go much lighter. Check out how little some LHC-ers use successfully even on extremely long hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I know how the hair feels when not being washed well after an oil treatment, and how it feels when not washing for several days.
This wet feeling is not greasy and stick, it's bouncy.

Thanks all.