PDA

View Full Version : Scalp trouble?

höpönasu
December 5th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I just googled dandruff and it literally said dandruff is dead skin cells from the scalp. However, I don't suffer from dandruff ever since I was a teen. When I massage my scalp wether it's with or without oils I get them dead skin cells kind of pop out. They're very visible and doesn't look appealing at all. I know it's not dandruff but then again it is. I have no problems with my scalp, I don't use anti-dandruff stuff etc. Some bits I get removed with just brushing but mostly it needs a lot of fiddling and and means oily scalp. How do I deal with this overflow of dead skin cells on my scalp and does anyone else suffer from this too? :ponder: *I wrote this with my phone and we don't get along that well so there might bre wrong words and other mistakes.*

lapushka
December 5th, 2014, 04:45 PM
It might be worse than just dandruff, and even be something called seborrheic dermatitis. Try and have a doctor look at it.

Bananfot
December 6th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I have seborreic. I Started to get it in my... hmmm i think when i was 23 years, or it was around then i noticed that i hadd it to get very irritating. My mother has it too. I have talkt to doctors about it. they say only i can use anti fungal shampoo.
They don`t know why some have it. but it may come form hormonal "inbalance". I konw i have high testosterone by nature, so i think it can because of that, because high testosterone can make skin and scalp oily (but can help you build more muscles easier then other girls that have normal or low testosterone l;) that is something i do like.)

I do not use anti fungal shampoos. I use castil shampoo, and cassia that are super good for the scalp, and i do have tea tree oil, lavendel oil and rosemary in the cassia! It is sooo soothing for my scalp. And i wash my hair 2-3 times a week, and i use ACV rinse after every wash and i rinse that if with coooold water that helps keep the PH balace in the scalp and hair.And that helps me keep it better:) I just did a cassia mask because its have been a month since i have done. and my scalp have been iching thise last 3 days:/ but my scalp feels sooo good now!

Or you can use sulafte shampoo. The most important thing to do is to keep youre scalp clean and not so oily. I am very in to herbal stuff. i have heard that tea tree, ore rosemary rinse also helps because they are natural anifungal and anti flamatory plant/oils.
Red clover tingture or red clover in general helps balance womens naturale hormone, so maybe that could help you to.

But you should as youre doctor first Of course if you feel you need it:)

I think we have to start a ew thread for seborreic dermatitis! so we all can give tips:)

McFearless
December 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Does your scalp itch or burn? Is it dry? Any recent changes in diet or medication? I'd have a doctor look at it regardless but massaging your scalp to loosen dead skin isn't an issue and can be done right before washing.

Panth
December 7th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Have a doctor look at it. There's a number of things it could be, including:
- eczema on the scalp
- psoriasis on the scalp
- "dry skin" (xerosis)
- yeast infections, including seborrheic dermatitis
- sensitivity / allergy to some ingredient of your shampoo - this can include fragrances, preservatives, surfactants, etc.

Regular "anti-dandruff" shampoos are often too harsh and irritating for the dry skin conditions and often not good enough antifungals for the yeast-based conditions. The best bet is to get a proper diagnosis from a doctor, particularly as the treatments / prevention strategies aimed at some conditions can exacerbate other conditions.

AmberJewel
December 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I have a similar problem, I think. My hair tends to be dry, but the scalp starts getting oily after a couple days. Even then the greasies aren't bad, but the itchiness drives me nuts!

evelynmosby
December 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I had this problem too when I switched to WO and let the time between washes go to long. I read on MarksDailyApple about a honey treatment for dandruff which I am currently doing. It it definitely helping with the appearance of dandruff and the itchiness. It's really simple just one part hone to nine parts warm water apply to scalp and rub in. Leave in for 3 hours. Then rinse out. I wrap my head with plastic wrap and put a beanie on while I wait. Then I just rinse with water.

Mahars
December 7th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I have this problem too. It started in fifth grade and my scalp would itch so bad I would scratch until I had sores. It took some time but I've finally found a routine that works for me. Some things that help: avoiding sulfates and artificial fragrances, which can be harsh and irritating. To get rid of build up I do a pre shower oil rub with gentle scratching. Then after washing I do an apple cider vinegar rinse. Finally, once hair is dry, I put two drops of tea tree oil on a brush and brush through. That provides instant relief from itching and helps a bit with scalp build up and oiliness too. Hope these ideas help. It's taken me years of trial and error.

Wildcat Diva
December 7th, 2014, 09:05 PM
My scalp completely flakes if I scritch it. Tiny, snow like flakes. Does not itch at all. If I scritch right after shampooing, there they are. If I do a brown sugar scalp scrub, right after, there they are. Only with scritching, humph.

Baby_doll
December 7th, 2014, 09:48 PM
I gave a similar problem, have you tried a vinegar rinse and then when dry outing alittle tiny bit of oil on your scalp? Mine is due to super dry skin, and probably alittle psoriasis mixed in since I get that on my arms and legs. But the rinses and oiling tends to help me, that and really scrubbing when I was and lettingu hair get greasy. But like everyone else said u may want to see a doc, ESPECIALLY if you shed alot more than average. Or if u start too

maybeinthemtns
December 7th, 2014, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure if I have exactly what you are describing, but I definitely have a lot of skin coming off of my scalp and it's gross. My skin is crazy dry plus I have keratosis pilaris, which I am not sure but might be a factor.

In any case, I have found apple cider vinegar rinses to be very helpful. The flakes do come back, but unlike shampoo, the rinse removes them for a while - about a week. Tea tree oil also seems to help. Good luck!