PDA

View Full Version : I *think* I am making headway on split ends!

LauraLongLocks
December 3rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
I have really stepped it up with my deep conditioning treatments - aiming for weekly moisture treatments and monthly protein treatments. I have also been really consistent with applying shea butter & coconut oil to my ends, in addition to my usual jojoba oil on my length and ends. (In summer I switch from jojoba to argan oil because it is lighter.) I have also done many S&D mini-sessions and I have microtrimmed about 2 cm over the course of the last several months.

The last few S&D sessions I have been struggling to find splits. Yes, I still find them, but they aren't so easy to spot like they used to be.

I think I am making progress. I hope I am.

MeAndTheMaz
December 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM
Certainly sounds like it. Congrats on (nearly) split free hair. :hifive:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 4th, 2014, 12:16 AM
I'm sure you are making great progress, Laura, and your hair is like molten chocolate! Just the best!

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Sounds like you're making great progress. I'm glad your hair is doing great.

pearlsandpinups
December 4th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Yay! That's wonderful! :D Your hair is just beautiful!

fiğrildi
December 4th, 2014, 04:14 AM
That's wonderful news :)
It sounds like you've done a big progress! Congrats :flower:

Johannah
December 4th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Good to hear, Laura! After all the work and stressing you put in your hair, you deserve less splits! Congrats!

lapushka
December 4th, 2014, 04:47 AM
I'm glad the routine pays off. I keep my hair well moisturized all the time and have yet to discover splits. I really think there is something to it.

Zebra Fish
December 4th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Congratz on reaching the "almost splitless point"!! :o

Just please, don't do same as me, after few S&D sessions that splits were hard to find I got lazy, and then after some months of freely reproducing I had work to do. It's been a year and a half by then and I'm still not back to the "almost splitless point" :shrug:

meteor
December 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Yay! :applause: I'm so happy for you, LauraLongLocks! Way to go!

I know you've been taking great care of your hair, so it made total sense that you'd soon win the split ends battle!

Yes, generally speaking, if split ends occur, it could take a few twists in the routine (e.g. adding protein, more oiling, regular more intense conditioning) to keep them at bay.

TrapperCreekD
December 4th, 2014, 12:05 PM
So exciting, congrats! :toast:

Squiggy
December 4th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Yay! Nice work! I always get lazy and remember that it's been a month or more since my last S&D -- not a good way to go about things.

LauraLongLocks
December 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone, and SarahLabyrinth, I love the image... molten chocolate. Love that. Hey, and I'm finally memorizing how to spell labyrinth!

swearnsue
December 4th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Great news! I sounds like you are definitely making progress! How often will you S&D now? Weekly? Monthly?

LauraLongLocks
December 4th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Great news! I sounds like you are definitely making progress! How often will you S&D now? Weekly? Monthly?

Still checking every day or two... no longer than a week passes without me looking for and cutting off splits.

Nadine <3
December 4th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Lucky!! Your hair is beautiful too, I can rally see the work that goes into it! Hopefully I'll follow suit and get my split ends to go away.

ARG
December 4th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Congratulations, Laura! You're my hair inspiration.:crush:

LauraLongLocks
December 4th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Congratulations, Laura! You're my hair inspiration.:crush:

Wow! That's such a compliment. Thank you.

MsPharaohMoan
December 5th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Man I've been waiting for your split-end battle to be conquered! You can do it! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

ETA: I wonder because we have a similar hair type (I have fits of small daily s+ding, but otherwise don't worry myself over the splits) how you handle protein? In lots of your posts you mention your quest to banish split ends which I find amusing. But since you are finding something that's working and you only adding protein recently-ish (am I correct in this?) I am curious how it specifically has been a game-changer.

Avis
December 5th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Yay! I'm glad you're making good progress. It's also good to know that moisture can help keep splits at bay. Rooting for you! :applause:cheer:

Savvyhorsez
December 5th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Yay! Congratulations!

LauraLongLocks
December 5th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Man I've been waiting for your split-end battle to be conquered! You can do it! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

ETA: I wonder because we have a similar hair type (I have fits of small daily s+ding, but otherwise don't worry myself over the splits) how you handle protein? In lots of your posts you mention your quest to banish split ends which I find amusing. But since you are finding something that's working and you only adding protein recently-ish (am I correct in this?) I am curious how it specifically has been a game-changer.

I don't know yet if the protein has become a game-changer. I have only used a deep protein treatment once, but I have been using a regular protein conditioner at least weekly for several months. I think the bigger game changer in my routine is the regular moisture deep treatments. I've been doing them weekly for about two months or so, whereas previously I was only doing them once a month, or on a good month I would manage it twice.

About a week ago I committed myself to twice daily brushing with a BBB. Then I found out my BBB was actually a reinforced BBB. I ordered four new 100% BBBs to try. Three arrived today and the fourth should be here within a week. I am hoping that using a 100% BBB will help my splits, too, but I don't know yet if it will. Additionally, I am trying out sulphate-free shampoos (though I realize some of the sulphate-free ones are just as harsh as with SLS). Last night I did a thorough olive oil slathering all over my scalp and hair and slept on it overnight before washing this morning. I don't know yet if this will have any effect on the splits, but I hope it will.

If/when I figure out the magical routine that works perfectly for my hair, I will definitely post.