PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions thread. Feel free to add your own.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MeAndTheMaz
December 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
And I have a bunch of 'em. I'll start of with one, though.

I keep seeing here that wet hair is more prone to breaking than dry hair. Why is that?

LauraLongLocks
December 3rd, 2014, 03:45 PM
I think this article explains it well.

http://www.hairboutique.com/blogs_p/index.php/2009/07/06/why-hair-is-weakest-when-wet-tips-to-prevent-damage/

meteor
December 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
AWESOME idea for a thread! :thumbsup:

I keep seeing here that wet hair is more prone to breaking than dry hair. Why is that?

Great question! I think it's because water breaks hydrogen bonds of hair (which makes it easy to restyle, of course) and hair stretches and swells a lot with water, making it easy to break without even noticing or hearing that ominous snap sound.

Here's what I found:
http://www.hair-science.com/_int/_en/topic/topic_sousrub.aspx?tc=root-hair-science^so-sturdy-so-fragile^properties-of-hair&cur=properties-of-hair
"Despite the close fitting scales of its cuticle and the sebum which naturally coats it, a hair in good condition can absorb more than 30% of its own weight of water. If the hair is alread damaged by other factors, this percentage can reach 45%. Its length can thus increase by 2% and its diameter by 15% to 20%!

In cosmetics, this swelling is used to good effect to make large molecules penetrate into the body of the hair. This is the case for dyes.

But, in general, water is harmful to hair and considerably amplifies the many factors damaging it. It particularly accentuates the negative effects of sunlight, hair's other great enemy. Melanin degradation is encouraged and sun linked decoloration intensifies. Keratin itself is altered, making the hair fragile and easily damaged."

meteor
December 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM
And I think I'll piggyback my question off yours, MeAndTheMaz. :)

Why do they say that straight/slightly wavy hair should be completely dry before detangling? Why isn't damp (and more elastic) hair better for detangling?

Elly May
December 3rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
I have thin fine straight BSL hair that tangles easily. I have been reading on LHC about letting it dry before detangling it and honestly, I thought it was a crazy idea. Yesterday I was off work and it was a wash day and so I decided to try it. I was AMAZED at how much easier it was to detangle dry! WOW. It really worked for me. Now the problem will be trying to wash it on days that I don't work or getting up extremely early to give it time to dry....I wash every four to five days at this point.

arr
December 3rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
I prefer to detangle when my hair is wet and I've added my leave in conditioner and oil. If I wait for it to dry, then it will dry with a wonky shape, but if I detangle when wet, it dries into a nice pattern. My preferred detangling tool is a Tangle Teezer.

Puffer Fish
December 3rd, 2014, 07:28 PM
I want to wear my hair up so I don't fuss with it and cause damage, but I'm still less than shoulder length.

What can I do other than ponytailing and the horrible "pony-bob" where I don't pull the ends all the way through? I don't want elastic damage this early on in the growing process...

Madora
December 3rd, 2014, 07:30 PM
And I think I'll piggyback my question off yours, MeAndTheMaz. :)

Why do they say that straight/slightly wavy hair should be completely dry before detangling? Why isn't damp (and more elastic) hair better for detangling?

Since hair is weakest when it is wet (regardless of what type of hair you have) it is gentler to detangle it (with a comb) while it is wet, provided you do it very slowly and gently. That is the key...slowly and gently. I never could fathom how anyone could wait until the hair was completely dry to detangle. When the hair is filled with detangler/conditioner, is it far easier asI've found in 40 years of doing so. I used to detangle when my hair was dry and it was just once wretched mess and a boatload of frustration. When hair is full of conditioner (or whatever you use for slip) it just makes the process so much more pleasanter, than to fight with dry hair when detangling.

Meteor, did they (whoever "they" are) say WHY straight/slightly wavy hair should be completely dry before detangling?

MeAndTheMaz
December 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
I have gotten to the point where I'm finger combing conditioner into my hair, the raking it through a bit later (though I need to get a better shower comb). By the time I get out of the shower, there's not really much tangling to deal with.

MeAndTheMaz
December 3rd, 2014, 08:30 PM
BTW, thanks TripleL and meteor for the links. They were quite informative.

Entangled
December 3rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
With straight vs. wavy hair, I believe it's because there's less of a pattern to mess up, while curlies don't have that luxury. (Look at the Curlies: brush your hair thread.) It's a necessary evil for many non straighties.

gossamer
December 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM
I have thin fine straight BSL hair that tangles easily. I have been reading on LHC about letting it dry before detangling it and honestly, I thought it was a crazy idea. Yesterday I was off work and it was a wash day and so I decided to try it. I was AMAZED at how much easier it was to detangle dry! WOW. It really worked for me. Now the problem will be trying to wash it on days that I don't work or getting up extremely early to give it time to dry....I wash every four to five days at this point.

For most of my childhood, I tried to detangle while wet on my slightly wavy hair and disasters ensued. Finally, when I was in my mid-late teens, a senior hairdresser giving instructions to the more junior hairdresser working on my hair alerted me to the fact that my hair won't detangle until it gets mostly dry. Serious lightbulb moment for myself there!

Lindenare
December 3rd, 2014, 10:03 PM
My hair is fairly slippery when dry, so it detangles well. In fact, it hardly tangles most of the time. When it gets wet, however, the strands clump together, lose their slip, and are practically impossible to separate without breakage. Combing my hair wet will result in breakage and tangling, no matter how slow and gentle I am. I have never, ever been successfully able to detangle my wet hair. Half-dry hair, though, is manageable to comb through (very carefully!). As a bonus, separating the strands at that stage dramatically reduces drying time.

Hotrox
December 3rd, 2014, 11:16 PM
I want to wear my hair up so I don't fuss with it and cause damage, but I'm still less than shoulder length.

What can I do other than ponytailing and the horrible "pony-bob" where I don't pull the ends all the way through? I don't want elastic damage this early on in the growing process...

Have you tried a tails up (start with a hand held pony, give the base a twist and hold with a claw clip). Sock buns, French roll and a Gibson tuck may work at your length.

Also, vary the height of your ponytail, so that the friction is not always on the same area of hair.

Seventy7
December 3rd, 2014, 11:17 PM

The peacock twist might work for you already http://youtu.be/boGblrUa_O8
This can also be done with claw clips or spin pins.

I'm enjoying the gibson tuck as well. This does need an elastic, but the ends are nicely protected. http://youtu.be/zmZR-PlJ_AU

And ofcourse start to practice braiding. Two dutch or french braids, or lacebraids might very well be a possibility. You can join them at the nape to get the tassles out of sight as well.

Alternating hairstyles put the elastic at different places and avoids damaging one part a lot. And make sure you have hair-friendly elastics.

DragonAngel
December 4th, 2014, 01:24 AM
I am reading about silk pillows , silk sleeping caps etc etc...Is this something I should be seriously considering ? I am trying to minimise all damage at the moment to reach my classic goal.

Johannah
December 4th, 2014, 04:31 AM
I am reading about silk pillows , silk sleeping caps etc etc...Is this something I should be seriously considering ? I am trying to minimise all damage at the moment to reach my classic goal.

Silk/satin gives less friction and is less damaging. It's not number 1 think you should to for healthy hair, but yes, it can help. I have a satin sleep cap from SilkyCocoon on etsy and I don't even need to detangle anymore in the morning (which I still to for my buns, but still).

DragonAngel
December 4th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Silk/satin gives less friction and is less damaging. It's not number 1 think you should to for healthy hair, but yes, it can help. I have a satin sleep cap from SilkyCocoon on etsy and I don't even need to detangle anymore in the morning (which I still to for my buns, but still).

brilliant !! thankyou, i have ordered one :o

alabaster
December 4th, 2014, 06:19 AM
I know that oils have been talked about on this site a lot, but I'm wondering which one is actually the best for your hair/most like your natural sebum?

Johannah
December 4th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I know that oils have been talked about on this site a lot, but I'm wondering which one is actually the best for your hair/most like your natural sebum?

Jojoba oil looks most like natural sebum. This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6810) might be interesting for you.

meteor
December 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Thank you very much for your insights, guys! :D

Meteor, did they (whoever "they" are) say WHY straight/slightly wavy hair should be completely dry before detangling?
I heard this from hairdressers and a few friends, but the only reason I heard was that hair is weakest when it's wet.

You can look into the so-called artificial/synthetic sebum. Dermatologist create it from oils to mimic human sebum.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19134124
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/10/whats-cookin-oil-blend-recipe-for-hair.html
And Natural Haven Bloom suggests this blend to mimic sebum:
"1. Squalene (around 15%)
2. Wax esters (around 20-25%) - there are some plant derived wax esters such as jojoba oil
3. Triglycerides (around 40-60%) - You can find these in olive oil, coconut oil , cotton seed oil...
4. Fatty acids (around 0-15%) - Coconut oil is a good source
5. Cholesterol and related esters (around 3%) - Cholesterol can be bought"
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/02/best-oil-to-use-is.html

chillerthanice
December 4th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Okay, I got one. How do you quote multiple people in your reply?

Puffer Fish
December 4th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Okay, I got one. How do you quote multiple people in your reply?

See the little "+ button next to the "reply with quote" button on the far bottom right of a post? Click that little button on more than one post so that those posts have a checkmark, and then click on 'reply with quote' on one of them.

chillerthanice
December 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Thank you Puffer Fish! Much appreciated.

Madora
December 4th, 2014, 07:13 PM
brilliant !! thankyou, i have ordered one :o

That's great, DragonAngel but please also take this into consideration to "hedge your bets": wear your hair in a protective style at night too. Loosely braided is easy and comfy. Not only is your hair protected, but next morning, the detangling of your hair with your wide tooth comb goes much faster and you have less mechanical damage because of it!

Madora
December 4th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Have you tried a tails up (start with a hand held pony, give the base a twist and hold with a claw clip). Sock buns, French roll and a Gibson tuck may work at your length.

Also, vary the height of your ponytail, so that the friction is not always on the same area of hair.

For the sake of your hair, try to avoid the ponytail holder if at all possible. They are not hair friendly for several reasons -- mechanical damage and repeated use can eventually bring on traction alopecia if you twist too tightly.

Instead, if you want to twist the hair for an updo, detangle all hair gently, then gently twist (starting at the nape..do not twist tightly at nape!). Secure the top of the twist with a one piece barrette (Goody makes a great one piece barrette! A one piece barrette is gentler on your hair because there are no sharp edges or places that can snag tiny hairs). Also, when using a claw clip type device, make sure it is not too heavy and that you vary the place where you use it.

DragonAngel
December 5th, 2014, 12:55 AM
I keep seeing APL mentioned and I know it is between SL and MBL but what does it stand for ?

TayDragonis
December 5th, 2014, 01:27 AM
I second that, does anyone have a list of forum abbreviations?

DragonAngel
December 5th, 2014, 01:40 AM

I found it , it is ArmPit length. I think I know the rest.......
SL = shoulder length
APL = armpit length
MBL = mid back length
BSL = bra strap length
WL = waist length
HL =hip lenght
BCL = bum crease length
TBL = tailbone length
CL = classic length
TL thigh length.......there might be a mid thigh length etc but my knowledge runs out there hahaha ...

Johannah
December 5th, 2014, 02:37 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7084

Johannah
December 5th, 2014, 02:40 AM
I found it , it is ArmPit length. I think I know the rest.......
SL = shoulder length
APL = armpit length
MBL = mid back length
BSL = bra strap length
WL = waist length
HL =hip lenght
BCL = bum crease length
TBL = tailbone length
CL = classic length
TL thigh length.......there might be a mid thigh length etc but my knowledge runs out there hahaha ...

http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif :)

Lady melissa
December 5th, 2014, 03:26 AM
The times i let my hair hang and dry and try to comb it afterwards with my Tangleteezer, it was horrible! Knots and knots and knots :'( Yesterday i washed my hair and combed it in like 10 minutes, very fast, very smoothly and if i comb it dry after some days, it takes at least 30 minutes to manage it a bit properly...if you are careful i don't see why you wouldn't want to comb it wet, it works so much better...

TayDragonis
December 5th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Thank you ^.^

diddiedaisy
December 5th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I have fine 2a hair that likes tangling. What I do is apply a serum to wet hair then comb through with a wide tooth comb. It slips through my hair then. I couldn't comb without serum or leave in conditioner, I would damage it everytime. I then give it a scrunch and leave it to dry. I never ever comb my hair when it's dry for two reasons, firstly I would look like a puffball and secondly because of the tangles. If I need to comb it when it's dry, I always rub a bit of serum on the ends first.

DragonAngel
December 5th, 2014, 05:02 AM
http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif :)

thankies :o

Lady melissa
December 5th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I've never heard of BCL: Bumb crease length...what does that mean? Is it like tailbone?

Johannah
December 5th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I've never heard of BCL: Bumb crease length...what does that mean? Is it like tailbone?

Butt crack length :)

ETA: it isn't the same as tailbone per definition, but it could be. It's individual.

browneyedsusan
December 5th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I'm going to try oiling this winter, and have a jar of coconut oil at the ready.

How much, how often?

DragonAngel
December 5th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Butt crack length :)

ETA: it isn't the same as tailbone per definition, but it could be. It's individual.

I saw it somewhere on this site and yes it is close enough to be about the same but the beginning crease of one's posterior is usually the sacrum a little bit higher than where the end of the coccyx is, so, if like me every little benchmark counts then it could be used for more clarity ? :o

Madora
December 5th, 2014, 06:45 AM
I'm going to try oiling this winter, and have a jar of coconut oil at the ready.

How much, how often?

Heidi W, a LHC member, explains how much and how to do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

You might also find this interesting about The Drying Capacities of Oil written by former LHC member Ktani: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

Also by Ktani: How to Avoid the Winter Hair blues: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-avoid-winter-hair-blues.html
Hair-Moisture,Frizz and Buildup: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/hair-and-build-up-and-moisture.html

Coconut oil: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/12/frequent-mineral-oil-email-topics.html

Ktani's blog, Ktanihairsense.Blogspot, is a treasure trove of information, that has been thoroughly researched by her, about various aspects of hair care. She's worked in the industry and knows her apples.

Madora
December 5th, 2014, 06:53 AM
The times i let my hair hang and dry and try to comb it afterwards with my Tangleteezer, it was horrible! Knots and knots and knots :'( Yesterday i washed my hair and combed it in like 10 minutes, very fast, very smoothly and if i comb it dry after some days, it takes at least 30 minutes to manage it a bit properly...if you are careful i don't see why you wouldn't want to comb it wet, it works so much better...

One of the reasons people comb their hair when wet is that it is easier to deal with, provided, however, that you section the strands, and detangle slowly and carefully (from the bottom of the strands and up to the scalp). Hair is weakest when wet and prone to snap easily. That is why you take your time. Combing it "very fast" as you stated, is not conducive to good hair care, if you love your hair and want to grow it longer.

One of the key ingredients to growing long hair is to detangle it SLOWLY and comb it slowly when it is wet. I've been doing this for years and I take the time to do it gently. Locating all the snarls hiding in your hair is one of the key points to keeping mechanical damage to a minimum. The more careful you are when handling that comb and using your fingers to undo the snarlmatt, the less mechanical damage you will have. There is no "fast" when you want to grow your hair long!

Chromis
December 5th, 2014, 06:55 AM

How much, how often?

I oil post-wash, once my hair is fully dry and I give my ends a bit more the next day if they are looking dry. Other people like to damp oil, so try it both ways and see! Damp oiling gives me stringy hair and scalp cleavage. Not much either! Try a fingernail scrape warmed in your hands. You can always put more on if that got sucked up right away (sometimes I need more if my hands were really dry!) I also oil my scalp, but very sparingly. Most people strictly stick to the length or ends only, just depends if you have a dry scalp.

I would try a bit on the ends after a wash at first. Then work your way up until you find the point your hair isn't absorbing it as well and then you will know when to back off and find a happy middle.

Oh and for an opposing wet versus damp. I never comb wet, not even with conditioner. Always dry or very close to dry. I really try not to comb it damp. I'd rather just put it up if I need to leave the house and then take it back down later to finish. My hair tangles much to easily otherwise!

In fact one of my biggest tips would be tangle prevention. If you don't get the tangles, you won't have to remove them. I sleep with my hair braided, put it up during the day, and don't pile it on my head when washing. I'm not a fan of sectioning even, since my klutz fingers often make tangles along the way if I am less vigilant about smoothing down the hair each and ever braid movement. I must be wide awake to preform French braids!

Johannah
December 5th, 2014, 08:36 AM

How much, how often?

I used to do this every week as a pre-treatment. I left it overnight and I used quite a bit from the ears down (like my hair was reaaaaly greasy). You can use it as a leave- in as well, but make sure you don't use too much, just enough to give your hands some shine.

MeAndTheMaz
December 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM
More of a philosophical question.

Some here are trying to grow out, and eliminate, their bangs/fringe. At what point do they stop being bangs/fringe? How long do they need to be?

arr
December 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM

Some here are trying to grow out, and eliminate, their bangs/fringe. At what point do they stop being bangs/fringe? How long do they need to be?

Ive always thought that when you can effectively tuck them behind your ears, they are no longer bangs/fringe and instead have become face framing layers.

DragonAngel
December 6th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I have seen some high praise for wooden bristle hair brushes, can I ask what the LHC think ? It works on the premise that the wood naturally collects the sebum in much the same way as boar bristles and then act to redestribute the oils while massaging the scalp.

Johannah
December 6th, 2014, 11:36 AM

For me (growing out a part of blunt bangs), when they hold in a bun for an entire day. :)

Rushli
December 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Have you checked out flexi 8s? They are perfect for tails up or peacock twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDl0O3dIPg
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17757

meteor
December 6th, 2014, 12:18 PM

How much, how often?

It really depends on how "thirsty" (i.e. dry) your hair is. Usually textured and thick hair can take more oil than straighter, finer hair.
For 1b/1c/F/i/ii hair type, I'd highly recommend Heidi W's video where she shows how she oils her stunning mane. As you can see, she uses very, very little. :)
See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk
If it's too little for you, you can always build up more. I like "gradual" oiling: adding a drop or two more every day or every other day, building it up until my wash day. This provides control and helps avoid over-oiling.
For pre-poo oiling, you can use a lot of oil (a few tablespoons, for example), but not so much that you need to shampoo twice instead of once, because it kind of defeats the purpose IMHO.

Puffer Fish
December 6th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Have you checked out flexi 8s? They are perfect for tails up or peacock twist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDl0O3dIPg
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17757

I actually have a flexi, but every time I try a peacock twist it flops down and looks like the saddest attempt at a ponytail ever, lol.

Madora
December 6th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I have seen some high praise for wooden bristle hair brushes, can I ask what the LHC think ? It works on the premise that the wood naturally collects the sebum in much the same way as boar bristles and then act to redestribute the oils while massaging the scalp.

Personally speaking, you want to use a brush that will interact with your strands as gently as possible. Pure boar bristles are the "hair" of the wild boar, and as such, interact more sympathetically with human hair. A wooden bristle is not as thin as a boar bristle. Consequently, more pressure is placed on delicate strands. And for what it is worth, a brush, of any sort, does not "collect" sebum. The sebum is already in your hair; the bristle simply moves it down to lubricate the strand when you brush it.

swearnsue
December 6th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Personally speaking, you want to use a brush that will interact with your strands as gently as possible. Pure boar bristles are the "hair" of the wild boar, and as such, interact more sympathetically with human hair. A wooden bristle is not as thin as a boar bristle. Consequently, more pressure is placed on delicate strands. And for what it is worth, a brush, of any sort, does not "collect" sebum. The sebum is already in your hair; the bristle simply moves it down to lubricate the strand when you brush it.

I miss Ktani. You posted a link to her blog earlier and I miss her no nonsense and rational information. *sigh*

Madora
December 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I miss Ktani. You posted a link to her blog earlier and I miss her no nonsense and rational information. *sigh*

You said it, swearnsue! Ktani was the hair guru to end all hair gurus! Thorough, detailed, and everything researched to the last particle! She's the only one (apart from the GM folks) who'd I'd trust my hair to!

maryj
December 6th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Hi. Im new to the long hair community and Im dying for my hair to grow long and strong! Any advice?

Madora
December 6th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Welcome, mary j! For starters: Hair tips (based on my own experience of more than 40 years):
Be patient.
Less is more. Don't overload your hair with products!
Not everything works for everybody!
Use gentle shampoos
Stay far away from: blow fryers/straighteners/hot curlers/bleach/backcombing/teasing/Brazilian blowouts
Eat sensibly! Exercise moderately. Drink water.

The best thing you can do for your hair:
wear it up to protect it
detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb (every day)
brush it daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon or rubber!)

learn new hairstyles to keep from being bored

ponytails are not hair friendly. Avoid them!

Weekly S and Ding are beneficial for keeping white dots and split ends in check. Use SHARP shears!

Don't obsess on how fast (or not) your hair is growing! That'll drive you bonkers.

Mineral oil (baby oil), used sparingly (2 drops) is great for detangling, taming frizzies, and helping with moisture. You place the drops in your palms, rub it all over the hands, then draw your hands through your hair until the oil sheen has just about vanished from your palms. It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, washes out in the next shampoo, and is dead cheap.

Always detangle with a WIDE TOOTH COMB! Never detangle with a brush!
Detangle from the ends of the hair, then up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots.
Daily gentle scalp massage in the bent at the waist position is a great way to stimulate your follicles for a boost in hair growth.

A silk pillowcase cover - or sleeping cap - is a great way to protect your hair while sleeping.

Of course there are a lot more pointers! Check out threads on The Mane Forum

I cannot emphasize too strongly to be gentle and slow when detangling your hair every day. That is HALF of the battle in growing long hair. Patience, above all! Good luck!

Madora
December 6th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I wish I got a nickel for every double post! Sorry 'bout that, Chief!

MeAndTheMaz
December 6th, 2014, 08:43 PM
The best thing you can do for your hair:
wear it up to protect it
detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb (every day)
brush it daily with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon or rubber!)

Out of curiosity, is there a vegetarian version of a BBB?

chelsea89ms
December 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM

You can try the tangle teezer, I have one and love it. I dont think it works as well as a BB for moving oil from roots to ends, but it doesnt make my hair as frizzy. Its still important to detangle with a wide tooth comb first though. Here is a thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334

MeAndTheMaz
December 7th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Thanks. I'll look into it.

DragonAngel
December 7th, 2014, 01:41 AM

I am finding it difficult to find a flat base pure 100% boar bristle brush without added man made bristles in it....my search continues....

Mellenoire
December 7th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Anyone have tips for getting through a stall? I think my hair care and diet are acceptable. It hasn't "stalled" for long but it's really strange of my hair to just park at a particular length. Especially when my length is as short as shoulder.

Is this just a matter of patiently waiting? I got better growth last winter than I am this summer!

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I am finding it difficult to find a flat base pure 100% boar bristle brush without added man made bristles in it....my search continues....

I recently purchased several to try out. So far, my favorite is the Spornette brush. I got it on Amazon.

swearnsue
December 7th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Anyone have tips for getting through a stall? I think my hair care and diet are acceptable. It hasn't "stalled" for long but it's really strange of my hair to just park at a particular length. Especially when my length is as short as shoulder.

Is this just a matter of patiently waiting? I got better growth last winter than I am this summer!

It could be a stall OR your ends are breaking off. I thought I was in a stall for months until I realized I was having breakage!

Madora
December 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Out of curiosity, is there a vegetarian version of a BBB? No, there is not...and personally speaking, the boar bristle brush is the closest thing in nature that mimics the human hair. Hair understands hair and meshes well with it. The TT and others of its sort are plastic, whose bristles are not as thin as bbbs and thus cannot act as closely with the hair as a true, pure bbb.

I don't doubt many here love their TTs, but a lot of TTers do not understand the need to first detangle their hair with a wide tooth comb BEFORE the brush touches their hair. Also, half the battle of having beautiful, healthy, as little damage as possible hair, is to brush SLOWLY (emphasis on the SLOW) and gently, from the tips up, in SMALL pencil thin sections). Just whoosing a TT (or any brush) down thru your hair is asking for tangle city and damage like you would not believe.

If you do not approve of bbbs for personal reasons, then stick with a wide tooth comb. At least with the wide tooth comb, you are still helping keep your hair in good shape, and doing it with a tool that has few "teeth" to wreak havoc on your delicate strands (provided you detangle properly and comb gently and slowly).

Madora
December 7th, 2014, 01:51 PM

DragonAngel, I don't know if you have the Conair brand in England, but if you do, they make a really nice, inexpensive pure bbb named The Conair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster (retails for under $10.00 US). It has a flat bottom, with 6 rows of nicely placed bristle klumps, in an elongated brush. The neck of the brush has a small, nubby back neophrene like rubber band around it, to help give your hand a better grip on the brush when you are using it. My hair hated that rubber band so I took a box cutter and snipped it off. The brush is a rich, shiny caramel in color and has a round hole at the bottom of the brush handle. And yes, it is 100% pure boar bristle (they are black). I liked it so much I purchased two of them.
Moderately stiff bristles, I might add.

Madora
December 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM

Yes, patience plays a huge part...but there's more to it than that! What is your hair routine like? Are you using gentle products and implements on your hair? Do you detangle every day with a wide tooth comb? Do you S and D regularly? How often do you trim? Is your diet good (very important!) Are you getting enough water? Are you taking any medications?

All these things can affect your hair growth...not to mention your genes. Hair stalls can average from a month or more to several years. Patience is key! In the meantime, continue to baby your hair. Wear it UP (very important if you want continued hair growth. protecting those ends is paramount!). You might want to try inverted gentle scalp massage (every day). Good luck!

LiftItNaked
December 7th, 2014, 02:07 PM
This is a great and informative thread! I've learned so much already!

My turn for a question!

What exactly are fairytale ends? They're mentioned around here quite often and some people seem to like them and some people don't.

slynr
December 7th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Fairy tail ends are when your hair is allowed to grow and not trimmed. Since hairs grow at different rates it results in a hemline that is more tapered typically. This would be the opposite of a blunt hemline where all the ends are constantly maintained at the same length. Hope that makes sense.

meteor
December 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM

I don't know what is a "vegetarian BBB", but you can definitely find cruelty-free BBBs made with shed (instead of shaved) boar bristles.
Alternatively, you can check out the Tangle Teaser, the Wet Brush, soft wooden brushes... And of course, some of us (especially with textured hair) do better with no brush at all.

LiftItNaked
December 7th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks Slynr! That helps! I guess I'm going for fairytale ends then haha

MeAndTheMaz
December 7th, 2014, 11:10 PM
No, there is not...and personally speaking, the boar bristle brush is the closest thing in nature that mimics the human hair. Hair understands hair and meshes well with it. The TT and others of its sort are plastic, whose bristles are not as thin as bbbs and thus cannot act as closely with the hair as a true, pure bbb.

Thanks. TBH, I'm not sure I'm actually in the market for one, but I was curious.

If you do not approve of bbbs for personal reasons, then stick with a wide tooth comb. At least with the wide tooth comb, you are still helping keep your hair in good shape, and doing it with a tool that has few "teeth" to wreak havoc on your delicate strands (provided you detangle properly and comb gently and slowly).

"Yes, well. That's the bit that still needs work." He said sheepishly, looking at the floor. :o

I don't know what is a "vegetarian BBB", but you can definitely find cruelty-free BBBs made with shed (instead of shaved) boar bristles.
Alternatively, you can check out the Tangle Teaser, the Wet Brush, soft wooden brushes... And of course, some of us (especially with textured hair) do better with no brush at all.

"Cruelty-free" would probably be an acceptable alternative. They're probably much more expensive though.

Thanks to all.

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 12:15 AM
What is the etiquette for starting a new thread vs reviving an old one?
Also, I'm not sure if this question should go in this thread since it is a newbie question, but not hair related. Feel free to move it elsewhere.

DragonAngel
December 8th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Also, I'm not sure if this question should go in this thread since it is a newbie question, but not hair related. Feel free to move it elsewhere.

I have made this blunder a couple of times because I am not sure how navigate to existing threads but if there is an existing thread someone will usually politely and cheerfully let you know :o

Mellenoire
December 8th, 2014, 02:07 AM
It could be a stall OR your ends are breaking off. I thought I was in a stall for months until I realized I was having breakage!

Yes, patience plays a huge part...but there's more to it than that! What is your hair routine like? Are you using gentle products and implements on your hair? Do you detangle every day with a wide tooth comb? Do you S and D regularly? How often do you trim? Is your diet good (very important!) Are you getting enough water? Are you taking any medications?

All these things can affect your hair growth...not to mention your genes. Hair stalls can average from a month or more to several years. Patience is key! In the meantime, continue to baby your hair. Wear it UP (very important if you want continued hair growth. protecting those ends is paramount!). You might want to try inverted gentle scalp massage (every day). Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions!

MeAndTheMaz
December 8th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Seems like it can go either way. There are loads of "duplicate threads" that have been started by people just asking an old question in a new thread. However, if you find a thread that seems relevant, by all means, go ahead and revive it.

Chromis
December 8th, 2014, 08:45 AM
For hair topics, reviving an old thread is a nice way to keep info in one spot if you have a related question/observation. If you wish to ask the original poster how things went with something you should check to see if they have been active recently though!

On the friendship forums, it depends. On the hobby threads, sure bump them right up! On relationship threads though, I'd let them be and start your own in general. (My honest non-mod rule of thump there is that if you need to start a relationship thread, you have probably answered your own question and the answer is likely not very promising unless you are starting a thread to tell us how awesome your SO is.)

Bumping a two year old thread to say "Me too!" or "nice hair" is a bit odd/spammy though.

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I have made this blunder a couple of times because I am not sure how navigate to existing threads but if there is an existing thread someone will usually politely and cheerfully let you know :o

Seems like it can go either way. There are loads of "duplicate threads" that have been started by people just asking an old question in a new thread. However, if you find a thread that seems relevant, by all means, go ahead and revive it.

For hair topics, reviving an old thread is a nice way to keep info in one spot if you have a related question/observation. If you wish to ask the original poster how things went with something you should check to see if they have been active recently though!

On the friendship forums, it depends. On the hobby threads, sure bump them right up! On relationship threads though, I'd let them be and start your own in general. (My honest non-mod rule of thump there is that if you need to start a relationship thread, you have probably answered your own question and the answer is likely not very promising unless you are starting a thread to tell us how awesome your SO is.)

Bumping a two year old thread to say "Me too!" or "nice hair" is a bit odd/spammy though.

Thanks guys!

I usually use google to search 'topic'+'long hair community' before I start my own thread. A lot of times I've noticed that when people revive old threads somebody kindly tells them that they're 2+ years old. But also, sometimes chime in to say that there's already a thread on this topic (and you probably should have used that one).

Once or twice I've noticed new members posting in a lot of old threads quick succession. Sometimes I can tell that they're a real person interested in hair, searching for their answers, and sometimes you know something dodgy is definitely going on.

hollygail3
December 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Do any of you have a section of hair that is just completely different from the rest of your head? I have one section right at the nape of my neck that is very fine, tangles very easily, is much lighter than the rest of my head, and is stick straight and does not hold curl. This section has always been like this and I have no idea why. I know we all have variations in our head but I find this one particularly odd as the rest of my head is M/some C and 2A/2B.

sjlaurence
December 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM
MeAndTheMaz, thank you for starting this thread :) I feel a little overwhelmed on here sometimes by the lingo and everyone seems to know so much. Enough rambling on to my question: what is so bad about hair elastics? And is it only ones with metal or are they all bad? Which ones aren't bad?

Laurenji
December 8th, 2014, 02:05 PM
MeAndTheMaz, thank you for starting this thread :) I feel a little overwhelmed on here sometimes by the lingo and everyone seems to know so much. Enough rambling on to my question: what is so bad about hair elastics? And is it only ones with metal or are they all bad? Which ones aren't bad?

The overall, general reason that hair elastics are bad is that they can cause mechanical damage through the rubbing, pressure, and tangles that occur when you take them on and off or wear them in the same place for an extended period of time.

Hair elastics exist kind of on a scale: ones with metal are the absolute worst, strong elastics or ones with rough coverings are next, those soft flat "ribbon elastic" ones are better still, and next are scrunchies and elastics made out of old pantyhose. Those little tiny silicone ones may or may not be damaging, depending on how you wear them and whether or not you cut them out of your hair instead of trying to pull them out.

browneyedsusan
December 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM
@sjlaurence:
I have trouble with the silicone elastics, but that's just me. I love the way they look--almost invisible, and how grippy they are, but they tear up my ends. Some people don't have any damage from them, though.
I use covered elastics most of the time. My hair is too slippy for the ribbon kind, and I'm certain a scrunchie would slide off almost immediately.
You'll have to do some trial and error. Everybody's hair is different. :)

Madora
December 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Years ago, when I wore ponytails (horrors!) I used very large fabric coated elastics (no metal). Elastics can be very useful, provided you:

1) vary the place where you put them and do not pull them off. Ideally, you should remove them the same way you put them on (to protect your hair)
2) don't make them too tight...and don't pull your hair tighter when wearing them. I've seen some people with a slightly sagging pony tail just grab the tail, make 2 sections and then pull the living daylights out of it to tighten the ponytail. Very bad for your hair! Not only is it putting pressure on the hairs by all that pulling, if you make it a habit, you could "pull" your hair into a case of traction alopecia (ditto, if you use ponytails every day that are very tight)

3) don't put too much hair in one elastic. Too much strain on the scalp. Instead, divide the hair in two sections and then use the holders to hold each section in place.

Clea
December 8th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks for asking this! I was going to ask myself. I wear a lot of ponytails held with scrunchies (bad habit, I know!). I've often wondered how much damage they inflict on my poor hair!

browneyedsusan
December 10th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Had a look at my back "layers" today: several blown-out ends. I'd love to clean them up. Anybody got a good dusting method? They're still too short to pull to the front and see. (I have old eyes!) I might be able to get them in the bathroom mirror? Please advise. :)

Laurenji
December 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Had a look at my back "layers" today: several blown-out ends. I'd love to clean them up. Anybody got a good dusting method? They're still too short to pull to the front and see. (I have old eyes!) I might be able to get them in the bathroom mirror? Please advise. :)

Recruit a friend! Or kid (if you trust a kid with your hair . . . lol)

jackie_rapunzel
December 10th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I have two questions. I know y'all mentioned that a loose braid is good for sleeping however I feel the pony tail holder always damages my ends. Any other simple ways to sleep with it? I usually throw it up in a super loose bun but as my hair is getting longer I am starting to notice that it is pulling.

Also, I know ponytail holders are bad. But when my hair gets very oily (I was every fourth day) I have to slick it back some how for it to be acceptable looking for work. In the mornings I run pretty short on time. Any suggestions on ways to slick it back but not use a ponytail holder? Braids show the oil too much during the last two days before washing.

Madora
December 10th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Perhaps a hair friendly head band?

As for the sleeping issues: you could braid a length of cord or ribbon into your hair and tie it off with that instead of the ponytail holder.

LauraLongLocks
December 10th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Had a look at my back "layers" today: several blown-out ends. I'd love to clean them up. Anybody got a good dusting method? They're still too short to pull to the front and see. (I have old eyes!) I might be able to get them in the bathroom mirror? Please advise. :) If you don't mind keeping the layers, you could do a compact cut. If you want to eventually grow out the layers, try microtrimming with Feye's method or something similar until they are cleaned up. If you can't see by pulling the hair around front, and all you want to do is S&D, you could sit on a chair, bend at the waist, flip your hair over, detangle it thoroughly, and trim the splits while in this awkward upside down position. Sorry, that's all I have in the way of ideas.

I have two questions. I know y'all mentioned that a loose braid is good for sleeping however I feel the pony tail holder always damages my ends. Any other simple ways to sleep with it? I usually throw it up in a super loose bun but as my hair is getting longer I am starting to notice that it is pulling.

Also, I know ponytail holders are bad. But when my hair gets very oily (I was every fourth day) I have to slick it back some how for it to be acceptable looking for work. In the mornings I run pretty short on time. Any suggestions on ways to slick it back but not use a ponytail holder? Braids show the oil too much during the last two days before washing.

For the night braid, secure with a scrunchie or ribbon ties http://www.amazon.com/Crease-Hair-Ties-Kenz-Laurenz/dp/B00BROQU8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418267731&sr=8-2&keywords=ribbon+ties+hair. If you wear a satin sleep cap, you might not need to secure the braid at all under the cap. I don't need to with my hair.

I, too, like the security of a snug ponytail holder sometimes. Nothing holds better. If you aren't using it all the time it shouldn't break a significant amount of hair. Be careful not to tighten your ponytail by pulling the hair apart, and when you take the ponytail down, be sure and unloop it one loop at a time rather than pulling the whole thing down the length. Also, don't go too tight with your ponytail holder, causing extra stress on your hair strands. You might be okay with the ribbon ties or scrunchies as an option some of the time instead of an elastic. Buns can also be a good option, and they protect the hair more than a ponytail. Try the disc bun or Gibson tuck (I have a Youtube tutorial for these on my channel... see link in signature). These can be done at shorter lengths than some of the other buns/updos. Good luck!

sjlaurence
December 11th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Thank you all (Laurenji, browneyedsusan, and Madora) for your quick replies. I believe I understand now. I think I will use elastics in my hair as little as possible and utilise a parandi when my hair becomes long enough to braid for bed.
Thank you all again, I truly appreciate all your responses.

browneyedsusan
December 13th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Laurenji, LauraLongLocks. Good suggestions. I've thought of asking DD to help, but she can't be bothered to trim her own splits, let alone mine! Mine aren't horrible; the problem ends are white or fanned out slightly, not yet split. I think I'll just nurse them along until they're longer. If I have a sunny day, I'll try your upside-down method in the dining room window, LLL. It's easier to see them in the sunshine, but there isn't a lot of sun in the winter here.

Thanks for the coconut oil video(s), Madora! I tried EVOO a year or so after I joined, but didn't like it. (I tried mineral oil too. I knew you loved it, and had some in the cupboard, but I couldn't make that work either!) I got discouraged and decided my hair didn't like oil. I didn't buy coconut oil until just now, because I thought it looked like high-dollar Crisco. Holy Catoot! Coconut oil is fabulous! I use it on everything: face, hands, body, makeup remover, AND hair! Thanks for helping me. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2014, 01:57 PM

You could always get an LHCer to do it for you:)

MeAndTheMaz
February 25th, 2015, 09:11 PM
"Canopy". Can someone explain? I'm thinking it's the top of your head? Or is it the outer layers of hair?

(End shameless thread bump.)

LauraLongLocks
February 26th, 2015, 08:26 PM
"Canopy". Can someone explain? I'm thinking it's the top of your head? Or is it the outer layers of hair?

(End shameless thread bump.)

Yes. You are correct.

poli
February 27th, 2015, 12:20 AM
I got one - what's an advantage of wooden comb? I got plastic, works fine for me, just wondering?

molljo
February 27th, 2015, 12:55 AM
I got one - what's an advantage of wooden comb? I got plastic, works fine for me, just wondering?

Most plastic combs you can buy at the store have seams on them from when they were molded in the factory. Those seams can snag, catch, or wear away at your hair, causing mechanical damage and breakage. Seamless plastic combs are available, but many users prefer wooden combs because they don't cause static.

poli
February 27th, 2015, 01:03 AM
Most plastic combs you can buy at the store have seams on them from when they were molded in the factory. Those seams can snag, catch, or wear away at your hair, causing mechanical damage and breakage. Seamless plastic combs are available, but many users prefer wooden combs because they don't cause static.

Ok, thank you :) Mine have seams. I didn't notice before.

MeAndTheMaz
February 27th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Yes. You are correct.

Okay, but about which one? Or is it both (top and outer layer)?

Arctic
February 27th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Canopy is the outer layer, the surface that people see when you have your hair down (if you have straightish hair). But if you think of it, it usually grows from the top part of your head.

oOoAMANDAoOo
February 27th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Here is my question: I think I'm at waist length (still) after my recent hair disaster. Unfortunately, I can't yet post photos for you, so the avatar is all I've got for now. But.... where does hip length start? I'm trying to decide if I want to go for hip or a little longer. I'm pretty petite and only 5'1" so I don't want to overwhelm myself.
I've also seen mention of BCL and TBL and I'm having a difficult time differentiating between the two; my BC & TB seem to be in relatively the same spot, no?

-Fern
February 27th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Here is my question: I think I'm at waist length (still) after my recent hair disaster. Unfortunately, I can't yet post photos for you, so the avatar is all I've got for now. But.... where does hip length start? I'm trying to decide if I want to go for hip or a little longer. I'm pretty petite and only 5'1" so I don't want to overwhelm myself.
I've also seen mention of BCL and TBL and I'm having a difficult time differentiating between the two; my BC & TB seem to be in relatively the same spot, no?

Your waist is the narrowest part of your abdomen--your "hip" measurement is usually at the widest part of your pelvis:
http://blog.kokofitclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/waist-to-hip-man-and-woman2.jpg

oOoAMANDAoOo
February 27th, 2015, 08:50 PM

Ooooo..... have you tried a wooden brush yet? A thread on here strongly recommend one, so of course I ran out and purchased one for myself. LOVE IT!!!! It caused static in my hair at first, but after a few times of using it, I believe the natural oils in my hair kind of 'seasoned' it and now it no longer causes static.

I bought the Bass cushioned oval from Whole Foods for under $10. The also carry the Bass wide tooth wooden combs. That may be my next purchase.

Your waist is the narrowest part of your abdomen--your "hip" measurement is usually at the widest part of your pelvis:
http://blog.kokofitclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/waist-to-hip-man-and-woman2.jpg

Maybe my body is a peculiar shape because it looks like my BCL is near my hip... LOL!!! Is BCL and TBL similar?

MeAndTheMaz
February 27th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Here (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XLovmMC3H0o/UozdA2UKp-I/AAAAAAAAAxY/dQklDRGlc8Q/s1600/hair-length-chart.gif) is a hair length chart.

TBL and BCL, I think, are fairly close. Maybe the difference is not worth noting?

molljo
February 27th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Re: the whole hip/bcl/tbl thing, I think it comes down to how your body is structured. On some people they'll be so close that they're basically the same, and on others they'll be more spaced out, making them more meaningful markers. So, I think, depending on your own body, pick and choose the ones that make the most sense for your biology.

Arctic
February 28th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Every bodyshape is different and the relations between bodyparts are very unique. For example the hip shape alone varies a lot. Some people have the hip bone jut out right after waist, some people they form a more even curve, some people have straight hips. For me the waist length is only about an inch before my hair would be a hip length.

For some people the widest part of the hip is actually more on the legs area than on the pelvis area, so I'd say hip length is where the hipbones start.

I can't say about the tailbone/BCL but I remember reading years ago that there is some anatomical difference, that most people think tailbone is at a different spot than it is. I never really thought about it as it has never been current measurement for me and my hair. However I don't think I'd like to call my hair BCL :)

hinabelle
February 28th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Do you use ACV after a wash or before? And do you use filtered or unfiltered?
What are some good treatments for dandruff? :confused:

-Fern
February 28th, 2015, 05:44 PM
ACV rinse after washing/conditioning... you want the hair cuticle to be smooth and lying down as you finish.

Arctic
February 28th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Do you use ACV after a wash or before? And do you use filtered or unfiltered?

You can do it before, middle or after. It depend the effect you are after. For example pre-shampoo ACV is great for treating dandruff. You can use any kind of vinegar you happen to have at hand, white, apple cider, red wine... filtered or unfileterd, with "mother" or without.

My long term dandruff has been under control for years after I started using a shampoo with active ingredient called piroctone olamine. Vinegar and Nizoral helped too, as did scalp scrubs. But my vote is to piroctone olamine.

meteor
February 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Do you use ACV after a wash or before?
After.

And do you use filtered or unfiltered?
I prefer unfiltered, unpasteurized, with the "mother" on scalp.

My first recommendations would be: Regenepure (http://www.regenepure.com/regenepure-dr-doctor-recommended.html) and Nizoral, both with Ketoconazole.
Alternatively, go for shampoos with selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue), zinc pyrithione (Head & Shoulders, etc), salicylic acid (Neutrogena T/Sal, SheaMoisture Deep Cleansing), tar coal (Neutrogena T-Gel).

Panth
March 1st, 2015, 03:48 AM

A doctor visit.

"Dandruff" can have a variety of causes, from yeast infections (e.g. seborrheic dermatitis) to skin conditions (e.g. eczema, xerosis, psoriasis) to irritation/allergies (e.g. to SLS, fragrance, preservatives). The treatments for one problem can exacerbate others - e.g. eczema and xerosis are treated with moisturisers and emollients, which will actively exacerbate seborrheic dermatitis by providing extra yeast food and thus promoting yeast growth.

Once you have a proper diagnosis, you can start considering an effective treatment. As meteor said, ketoconazole-containing shampoos are often good (it's an antifungal, so great for seborrheic dermatitis). The other shampoos she listed may be better, depending on the exact cause of your dandruff.

MeAndTheMaz
March 1st, 2015, 07:09 AM
After.

I prefer unfiltered, unpasteurized, with the "mother" on scalp.

My first recommendations would be: Regenepure (http://www.regenepure.com/regenepure-dr-doctor-recommended.html) and Nizoral, both with Ketoconazole.
Alternatively, go for shampoos with selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue), zinc pyrithione (Head & Shoulders, etc), salicylic acid (Neutrogena T/Sal, SheaMoisture Deep Cleansing), tar coal (Neutrogena T-Gel).

Okay, now I gotta ask. "Mother"?

As far as before or after, I always use after and don't rinse out. The vinegar smell does not linger.

LauraLongLocks
March 1st, 2015, 10:57 AM

Sorry, I misread your first post and combined what you said into one. It is the outer layer of hair that grows from the top part of your head.

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 11:10 AM
Okay, now I gotta ask. "Mother"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar
"Mother of vinegar is a substance composed of a form of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air. It is added to wine, cider, or other alcoholic liquids to produce vinegar."
It has a cobweb-like, muddy appearance and can make the vinegar look slightly congealed, darkened and muddy. Bragg's is a typical brand of ACV with the mother in N.America. Depending on where you live, you can find some local ACV - I see them sold in huge bottles in fall (apple season) at farmers' markets.

I like this kind of unpasteurized ACV only on scalp (very heavily diluted, of course). As light hair can get a slight reddish color from ACV, white vinegar is what I use on hair length.

Auni
March 1st, 2015, 12:54 PM
Ok. So, Im currently ay BSL, and am very excited at the prospect of getting to my goal of TBL, and then, who knows! However, I kinda had a freak out last night.shudder: All these questions popped into my head that had me thinking, " Do I want to do this?!" SO, here I go!
1. How do you guys sleep at night? Literally, do you braid, bun, what? It seems like your hair would be EVERYWHERE!!!
2. How do you wash your hair?! Is it easier just to do it in a sink, and if so, doesn't your hair take up the whole sink?! And how long does it take to dry?! Mine already takes up to almost ALL DAY at my current length and being healthy!
3. Braids: It seems like youd be wrestling with your hair, Braiding the top and having the ends twist and braid too, not to mention the upper arm strength! How do you do it?
4. How much conditioner do you go through in a month?
5. How does your spouse feel about all your hair, everywhere?
6. Does anyone get frequent headaches or neck aches from the weight of their hair? Anything that helps with that other than ibuprofen?
I guess I just want to know what I'm getting into, It won't affect my decision to grow it long and strong!

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 01:09 PM
Ok. So, Im currently ay BSL, and am very excited at the prospect of getting to my goal of TBL, and then, who knows! However, I kinda had a freak out last night.shudder: All these questions popped into my head that had me thinking, " Do I want to do this?!" SO, here I go!
1. How do you guys sleep at night? Literally, do you braid, bun, what? It seems like your hair would be EVERYWHERE!!!
Always braided! Sometimes braided and bunned (if the pillow is super-fluffy, so the bun doesn't pull on hair).
Usually, I just coil my braid (wrapped in silk scarf, untied) ABOVE my head and pillow, so I can toss and turn and the braid stays.
I haven't gone to bed with loose hair in years.

2. How do you wash your hair?! Is it easier just to do it in a sink, and if so, doesn't your hair take up the whole sink?! And how long does it take to dry?! Mine already takes up to almost ALL DAY at my current length and being healthy!
I prefer in the shower, though my wet hair does feel very heavy and kind of pulls on scalp uncomfortably when wet. But last time I tried it in the sink, I had horrendous, scary tangles and yes, it took up the whole (big) sink.
I am washing my hair in braids now, and I love it for tangle prevention and getting easier access to scalp.
I let it air-dry for about an hour or so, then put it up in a bun and go about my day, when I take it down at night, it's still wet, so I let it air-dry loose for a while.

3. Braids: It seems like youd be wrestling with your hair, Braiding the top and having the ends twist and braid too, not to mention the upper arm strength! How do you do it?
You are right, it's a problem. Personally, I can ONLY English braid, I'm afraid. I can't do those French/Dutch braids at this length... Forget about crown braids for me - I do something like coronet braids instead. Many folks on the LHC are super-skilled and have some mad braiding skills even at extreme lengths! :D

About a bottle? Depends on the product and humidity and how my hair feels...

N/A

6. Does anyone get frequent headaches or neck aches from the weight of their hair? Anything that helps with that other than ibuprofen?
N/A. I do not get headaches or neck aches. In fact, if you do, go see a doctor - it's probably NOT your hair. :)
Your scalp gets used to the extremely slow incremental increase in hair weight (1/2 inch a month is slow enough for your scalp to adjust). The only exception is when your hair is wet, since wet hair can absorb water up to 45% of its weight! When my hair is wet, my scalp does hurt or feel uncomfortable. Solution: try to dry it fast if you can, next to a fan or heater or outside...

Arctic
March 1st, 2015, 01:19 PM
Auni, by "you" I guess you mean members with TBL hair and longer. I have never had such long hair myself, but I think you'll get answers to your questions simply by reading and participating in the different threads. One thing's for sure: everybody is different and there are no one answer to your questions. Having been here a long time, I can answer some of your questions though :)

1. some people braid, some bun, some use sleep caps, some keep it open, some push it over the pillow....
2. there are tens of different washing methods
3. secret of braiding hair of any length is to continuously seperate the strands after each pass. some people have better arm strength for this type of detailed work than others. Practice makes it easier.
4. depens a lot of the hair type, washing method and frequency, products, personal preferences. In general long hair use more conditioner than shampoo (if one uses shampoo at all).
5. probably varies a lot.
7. some do. some are able to pinpoint what causes it (a certain bun, for example). People with very thick and very long hair seem to have more problems. Learning to make balanced updos (weight is balanced) helps many.

Salty Sloth
March 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
I guess I just want to know what I'm getting into, It won't affect my decision to grow it long and strong!

1. I usually braid my hair since I sleep with my bf and we both roll around a lot in our sleep. Otherwise I risk yelling at a sleeping man who has no idea he just crushed my hair.

2. I still wash in the shower since I'm only at waist, BUT if I can afford a removable shower head again I may get a small tub and use that to wash it with the removable head and might enable me to try some soaks that I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

3. I only really braid the back of my scalp with my arms above my hair. As soon as I've got enough braided to flip it over my shoulder I do that, which is much less pressure on my shoulders. I also sometimes ask my bf to help me separate hair sections while I'm doing french and dutch braids, so I do get an extra set of hands sometimes.

4. I don't go through a whole lot! I don't wash more than twice a week, so although I use a lot each each, I don't wash often enough to constantly run out.

5. He has a good sense of humor about finding my hair everywhere.

6. I do get headaches but it isn't from my hair! Headaches from the weight of hair can be prevented/helped by sectioning your hair before putting it up, in order to divide the weight over more of your scalp, reducing pressure in any specific spot.

Ava Ruu
March 1st, 2015, 04:20 PM
Everyone seems to agree that split ends are bad for your hair. What bad things do they actually do?

Arctic
March 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM
Everyone seems to agree that split ends are bad for your hair. What bad things do they actually do?

It is microscopic damage of the hair shaft. The hair is often broken from that spot, or if it's higher up the hair shaft, it forms a weak spot where the hair might break easily. They cause tangles and rought look and feel to the hair. A split end han also travel upwards inside a hairshaft, so it might cause damage on a longer stretch than just at the tip. These were just quick ones from the top of my hat. :)

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 04:46 PM
It is microscopic damage of the hair shaft. The hair is often broken from that spot, or if it's higher up the hair shaft, it forms a weak spot where the hair might break easily. They cause tangles and rought look and feel to the hair. A split end han also travel upwards inside a hairshaft, so it might cause damage on a longer stretch than just at the tip. These were just quick ones from the top of my hat. :)

I agree. I'd also add that abundance of split ends (or other forms of damage) can make hair tangly. Additional detangling and manipulation can add up to mechanical damage, which is why hair feels a lot more manageable after a good trim if the ends were badly damaged.

Ava Ruu
March 1st, 2015, 04:47 PM
It is microscopic damage of the hair shaft. The hair is often broken from that spot, or if it's higher up the hair shaft, it forms a weak spot where the hair might break easily. They cause tangles and rought look and feel to the hair. A split end han also travel upwards inside a hairshaft, so it might cause damage on a longer stretch than just at the tip. These were just quick ones from the top of my hat. :) So the split ends are cut to stop the damage from creeping higher? That makes sense.

hinabelle
March 1st, 2015, 06:13 PM
Wow, thanks to all for the responses!! :o I truly appreciate all the help!
I've been looking around the stores to find some ACV, so I'll keep browsing. :)

meteor
March 1st, 2015, 06:25 PM
^ Local grocery stores should have it (condiments sections or wherever they sell oils)! If not, check out health food stores. Alternatively, nothing wrong with simple white vinegar: it's the acidic effect that you want. :)

hinabelle
March 1st, 2015, 09:14 PM
meteor: Thank you! I think ACV is what I'm most excited for when I start taking care of my own hair. :D

MeAndTheMaz
March 1st, 2015, 11:24 PM
Auni, it's not like you're going to wake up one day with TBL length hair. So you should be able to adjust as you "grow into it".

So the split ends are cut to stop the damage from creeping higher? That makes sense.

Yes. A lot of people here do what's called S&D (search and destroy). Rather than getting a full on trim, you look at the ends of your hair and snip off--with sharp shears-- any splits you find.

LLL and meteor, thanks for the answers. Very helpful.

Panth
March 2nd, 2015, 01:25 AM

This all really depends not only on length but on thickness and texture. That said, here's a fine/thin haired and super-long haired (1b/F/i/ii, knee+) perspective:

1) English braid, worn down (specifically, the one I wore bunned during the day). Yeah, it sometimes wraps around me/pillows/husband, but for the most part it behaves. I tend to either throw it up on top of the pillow, above my head, or off the edge of the bed to keep it out of the way.
2) In the shower. That said, I have and can washed it in the (kitchen) sink with minimal difficulties. Shower is easier, IMO, though mainly because you don't have to keep changing basins of water. Someone with thicker hair might have more issues. Drying-wise ... a few hours? I honestly don't bother keeping track. It dries quickest if I wrap in a towel for 5-10 mins (until most of the dripping stops) then comb with a wide-toothed comb (to detangle but also to spread everything out - increased surface area for evaporation) then leave it down. However, usually I just do as much of that as I have time for then braid it and forget about it - it's often still damp when I unbraid but that's not a problem. Occasionally I'll blow dry on cool (it's not damaging on cool/warm and in the winter it's horrid to sleep with wet hair).
3) I always do low braids (from the nape) so have no issue with arm strength. Otherwise, I guess it's just practice?
4) Ummmm? Half a bottle? Maybe? I have no idea...
5) He doesn't mind it, provided it's not trying to attack him...
6) Nope, though this is partly a thickness thing and partly how you style it. Improperly positioned/secured hairstyles most definitely can cause headaches. However, with practice you just won't do those and, on the rare occasion you do, will take them down promptly before they start causing problems. I do find that if I already have a headache then I can't tolerate updos. However, that's different (and the cure is just: wear a loosely done braid or have your hair loose until the headache goes away / painkillers kick in).

Tbh, I think you're worrying too much, though. You're not going to magically wake up with TBL hair overnight. Likewise, if you get to, say, waist or hip and decide that you actually don't want it any longer, no one's going to force you to grow to TBL because "oh, you said you would!". Most of these things come as incremental adaptations - length gain is slow, so you have plenty of time to learn and adapt. Anyway, if you decide you don't like it or can't stand it that long, there's a very quick, very easy fix for that. :D

Soulina
March 2nd, 2015, 02:57 AM
I am not exactly a newbie anymore, but is there thread for growing beards?
Not that I have one my self :p but my boyfriend asked he has awesome over 5 inch long chin beard and asked tips how to grow it longer.

MeAndTheMaz
March 2nd, 2015, 06:37 AM
I haven't seen one, Soulina, but that doesn't mean you can't start one. There are fair number of men here, but I don't know how many of them have long beards.

Failing that, I'm sure you can find sites on the Intertubes dedicated to beards.

hinabelle
March 2nd, 2015, 08:04 AM
I'm back already! :o
Is there a thread here for beginners to buns/updos/etc? I have only ever put my
hair up in elastics and sometimes a claw clip. My hair is getting to that length
where it gets snagged on my bag straps... and on top of it all, hot days are
approaching quickly where I live. I have no idea where to begin with putting
my hair up since when I do, I often can't do much with it or do not know what
to do with it. :confused:

Madora
March 2nd, 2015, 08:20 AM
hair up in elastics and sometimes a claw clip. My hair is getting to that length

Hinabelle, have you tried inversion braiding? Here's a link to my tutorial:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126929

hinabelle
March 2nd, 2015, 08:24 AM
Madora: I have some time, so I'll try it right now! This will be my first time
ever braiding my own hair... here we go! :)

Arctic
March 2nd, 2015, 08:29 AM
I am not exactly a newbie anymore, but is there thread for growing beards?
Not that I have one my self :p but my boyfriend asked he has awesome over 5 inch long chin beard and asked tips how to grow it longer.

If there isn't you can always start one! I do have a faint memory that years ago such thread excisted!

Arctic
March 2nd, 2015, 08:38 AM

There used to be a wonderful article section which was a treasure trove to beginners and longtime members alike. Unfortunately it seems to have vanished, I don't know what happened to it. But you can find some of the articles from archived forum or internet archives (I think links are provided at the articles section).

You seem to have very thick hair, and I think that is contributing to why it feels difficult to put your hair up. You might find it easier to divide your hair in parts. Like make several buns, several braids etc. You also need good tools. I don't know if your hair spits out bobby pins, but hair pins (the u-shaped type), spin pins and mini clawclips are good at shorter lengths, as are hair forks. You would probably find it more sturdy and comfortable to use several of them, what ever type you are using (for example many mini claw clips around the bun), so the weight of your hair is distributed better.

Cinnabun is the most easy bun, and for your thickness, if making several buns is not what you want, you can still make it by dividing your hair. First do a halfup and make cinnabun. Then take the hair that is left down, divide it into 2-3 sections and wrap them around the original cinnabun, pinning as you go.

I have been working on a collection of hair styles for shoulder length hair. Mine is on the thinner side-middle of medium thickness, so some of my styles might work for your with your iii and APL hair. You can find my collection in my blog, I keep adding to it regularly.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 2nd, 2015, 01:06 PM
How do I add photos to a new post? Can I edit and add them into an old post? Also, which upload method is easiest?

Arctic
March 2nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
I use Photobucket to host my photos, then add them to my post using the "Insert Image" button (near where there are text editing options).

Salty Sloth
March 2nd, 2015, 02:33 PM
I use imgur. :) No need to log in unless you want to create an account there! It also includes a deletion link if you just want to temp host the photo.

MsPharaohMoan
March 2nd, 2015, 02:38 PM
Someone once googled the long beard community and apparently it was a thing... Perhaps send your boyfriend that way!

meteor
March 2nd, 2015, 02:41 PM
I use imgur. :) No need to log in unless you want to create an account there! It also includes a deletion link if you just want to temp host the photo.

Great to know! :) Does the deletion link mean that those photos are safe to share online? Or can they still be stolen?

lapushka
March 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
If there isn't you can always start one! I do have a faint memory that years ago such thread excisted!

Yep, try using the search function. I seem to remember a thread on beards as well... :confused:

Chromis
March 2nd, 2015, 02:57 PM
Great to know! :) Does the deletion link mean that those photos are safe to share online? Or can they still be stolen?

Any photo you post online can be stolen! You can watermark them to at least make it more annoying to re-use them although that doesn't stop many of them. Some sites allow you to have private albums, but if you post them in a public place (like the Mane forum), they can still be scooped. That's why I only post backshots.

meteor
March 2nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
^ Thank you very much, Chromis! :flowers: Great to know!

epicrosie
March 3rd, 2015, 03:59 AM
Hi
I wanted to ask about how you guys S&D? I've been growing for almost 2 years now but haven't had any trims (I think) the whole time apart from my fringe which I do myself. I've started to find some splits but I look away for a second and lose them :doh:
Any tips for doing more systematically?

Also have taken up oiling but every time I do this on wet hair it just looks really greasy but this doesn't happen if I leave it until my hair is dry? Am I just using too much or does anyone else have this?

Chromis
March 3rd, 2015, 05:34 AM
Epi - First thing is to get a set of hair shears and don't use them for anything else! You want them to stay really sharp. I just grab small sections and hunt through in bright light. They often are easy to spot the next morning after my nightly braid has gotten a little mussed poking out. If you are having trouble finding them again, you probably don't have very many, which is pretty awesome.

I get the same thing if I oil on wet hair so I wait until mine is dry or very close to it. I think this is just variable between people and maybe hair types :)

Madora
March 3rd, 2015, 07:57 AM
Hi
I wanted to ask about how you guys S&D? I've been growing for almost 2 years now but haven't had any trims (I think) the whole time apart from my fringe which I do myself. I've started to find some splits but I look away for a second and lose them :doh:
Any tips for doing more systematically?

Also have taken up oiling but every time I do this on wet hair it just looks really greasy but this doesn't happen if I leave it until my hair is dry? Am I just using too much or does anyone else have this?

Epicrosie, here is a link to LHC member Heidi W's hair oiling video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

As far as S and D is concerned, I try and do it daily, using cuticle scissors. I concentrate on the last 8 inches which are very loosely braided. I pick a section of the braid apart and then hold up a section and search for any splits/white dots. Strangely, this is done in front of my tv (which is not on) with strong sunlight coming in from my right hand side.

However you do it, be sure that you have good lighting!

hinabelle
March 3rd, 2015, 08:07 AM
Arctic: Thanks much! I'll have to try the cinnabun as well. Your help is super appreciated :o
Can forks be found at just about any store or should I look at hair/beauty stores for them? It looks
like I need to take a trip out and browse for new ways to put my hair up as my current arsenal
isn't so reliable. Bobby pins work about 50% of the time for me, so I'll have to check those u-pins out.
I've never heard of them until now! Those spin pins seem fun too... :)

Madora: I tried the braid but I think my hair isn't suited for it just yet. It got quite fussy on
me after I turned it over! :uhh:

Auni
March 3rd, 2015, 09:40 AM
1. I usually braid my hair since I sleep with my bf and we both roll around a lot in our sleep. Otherwise I risk yelling at a sleeping man who has no idea he just crushed my hair.

5) He doesn't mind it, provided it's not trying to attack him...
6) .

Tbh, I think you're worrying too much, though. You're not going to magically wake up with TBL hair overnight. Likewise, if you get to, say, waist or hip and decide that you actually don't want it any longer, no one's going to force you to grow to TBL because "oh, you said you would!". Most of these things come as incremental adaptations - length gain is slow, so you have plenty of time to learn and adapt. Anyway, if you decide you don't like it or can't stand it that long, there's a very quick, very easy fix for that. :D
Thanks for everyone's replies! I realize I was worrying too much, and it dawned on me, later in the day after I posted this, what Panth said! Can't imagine just waking up and," Oh! Look at that! I reached my goal overnight!":p

rosestark
March 5th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone! This is a great thread! You guys have already answered several questions I had in the back of my mind. I am for sure a newbie with apl hair (the longest it's ever been) & I love getting all the tips and support LHC gives :heart:
So I have a question - maybe it fits in this thread. I am noticing more wispies...Is there some way to know if they are breaks (oh no) or new growth (oh boy)?

Laurenji
March 5th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone! This is a great thread! You guys have already answered several questions I had in the back of my mind. I am for sure a newbie with apl hair (the longest it's ever been) & I love getting all the tips and support LHC gives :heart:
So I have a question - maybe it fits in this thread. I am noticing more wispies...Is there some way to know if they are breaks (oh no) or new growth (oh boy)?

It's not a surefire method, but the way that I check is to look at the end. If it's smooth and pointed, it's likely new growth. If it's blunt, frayed, has a "bump" at the end, or looks shredded in some way, it's a break.

It's not perfect, because sometimes broken ends break and wear off to a smooth, pointed look, but you get the hang of it after you look at a few.

meteor
March 5th, 2015, 03:40 PM

If you can examine the ends of those hair strands, you might be able to tell. Smoothly tapered ends (looking like this under a microscope (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/microscope/meapr09end.jpg)) would indicate new growth, while splits, white dots and rough-feeling ends would indicate breakage.

ETA: Sorry, I cross-posted with Laurenji. :oops:

rosestark
March 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM
It's not a surefire method, but the way that I check is to look at the end. If it's smooth and pointed, it's likely new growth. If it's blunt, frayed, has a "bump" at the end, or looks shredded in some way, it's a break.

It's not perfect, because sometimes broken ends break and wear off to a smooth, pointed look, but you get the hang of it after you look at a few.

That makes sense - thanks! I think at least my shorter wisps are new growth then (maybe because I stopped highlighting & blow drying at least a year ago)...I'll go with that. But I have a suspicion that the longer wisps I have in the back are the result of ponytails/buns (and I can't see the ends haha). Still this is a helpful tip! I had literally no idea how to tell a break from a new growth!

rosestark
March 5th, 2015, 03:50 PM
If you can examine the ends of those hair strands, you might be able to tell. Smoothly tapered ends (looking like this under a microscope (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/kitsunethief/microscope/meapr09end.jpg)) would indicate new growth, while splits, white dots and rough-feeling ends would indicate breakage.

ETA: Sorry, I cross-posted with Laurenji. :oops:

Oh just saw your response - thanks for replying too! :)

MeAndTheMaz
March 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Okay I've got (yet another) silly question. At what point am I "washing" my hair. "wash day", to me, includes shampoo. On non-wash days, I usually rinse my hair and slather some conditioner on so I have fighting chance of raking a comb through it in the near future.

I understand that conditioner has cleansing properties, but to me, that just isn't washing (though my hair does seem cleaner after). :silly:

RancheroTheBee
March 5th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Okay I've got (yet another) silly question. At what point am I "washing" my hair. "wash day", to me, includes shampoo. On non-wash days, I usually rinse my hair and slather some conditioner on so I have fighting chance of raking a comb through it in the near future.

I understand that conditioner has cleansing properties, but to me, that just isn't washing (though my hair does seem cleaner after). :silly:

Well... that's kind of complicated. I always counted wash days as CO-only washes as well, since part and parcel of the excursion still involves wetting my hair and moving it around and stressing it out to some degree or another. But conditioner is only really "cleansing" if you're massaging it into the scalp.

Laurenji
March 5th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I don't know . . . for me it's pretty easy, since if it's not "wash day", my hair doesn't get wet. But I could see how that might be a blurry line in your case.

MeAndTheMaz
March 5th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Well, that's just it. The idea of not getting my hair wet in the shower is just foreign. Especially in the summer. I work outside, so not giving it at least a rinse is pretty much out of the question, and if I'm doing that, I gotta slather on the conditioner.

Arctic
March 6th, 2015, 05:09 AM
MeAndTheMaz - reading how you feel about it, I'd say you wash when you shampoo, and wet/rinse on the other times. That would mean you can say when the topic comes up that I wash x times per week. Or you could put it in the form of I rinse my hair daily but shampoo every Xth time.

MeAndTheMaz
March 6th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Cool. That'll give me some dinner party conversation. :)

TBH, I'm not really worried about my routine. As they say, "it is what it is". Does that make me a CO washer?

I wonder if there's a thread for I rinse my hair daily but shampoo every Xth time. :)

hinabelle
March 6th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Since we're on the subject, how do you protect your hair in the shower when it's not wash day?
My hair is incredibly sensitive to steam, so I usually have to take a lukewarm shower
which is unpleasant. I used to wear a shower cap but that was making the steam problem
worse, so now I use a claw clip to hold it up. That works about 50% of the time,
as I sometimes accidentally get it wet anyway. So I either end up taking a short, hot
shower (and I don't like short showers) or a long, lukewarm shower (which, again -- unpleasant!) :confused:

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Since we're on the subject, how do you protect your hair in the shower when it's not wash day?
My hair is incredibly sensitive to steam, so I usually have to take a lukewarm shower
which is unpleasant. I used to wear a shower cap but that was making the steam problem
worse, so now I use a claw clip to hold it up. That works about 50% of the time,
as I sometimes accidentally get it wet anyway. So I either end up taking a short, hot
shower (and I don't like short showers) or a long, lukewarm shower (which, again -- unpleasant!) :confused:

When my hair was much longer, I used to bun it and take a bath instead, to be honest. The steam would help recurl my hair but it wouldn't get wet.

But now my hairtype is starting to get straighter and my hair is very short, and I don't have a bath. Maybe bun it and use a stick to keep it up, instead? What is the steam doing to your hair, exactly, making it frizzy? There might be a way to combat that, as well.

hinabelle
March 6th, 2015, 09:00 AM
RancheroTheBee: Yes! My hair gets incredibly frizzy from the steam.
I don't have a stick just yet, but I've been looking around for one.

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2015, 09:06 AM

Yeah, that's what I would always get, too. Bunning it always helped. The crown would be a little frizzy, and my scalp would feel vaguely damp, but I'd wait a minute or two after my bath, take it down and then maybe add a bit of leave-in conditioner to smooth it out. Sticks aren't too hard to find. To be honest, until I bought a real set, I used chopsticks (make sure they're smooth, unseamed plastic or wood; the cheap wood ones make splinters and seamed plastic will shred your hair).

ETA: I forgot to add - for some extra volume, I would always do two buns: one at the top, and one near the nape.

hinabelle
March 6th, 2015, 09:21 AM
RancheroTheBee: I'll have to try that, then! I have a set of food chopsticks
that I'll just clean really well when I go to wash, hahaha :) Thank you very much!

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2015, 09:24 AM
RancheroTheBee: I'll have to try that, then! I have a set of food chopsticks
that I'll just clean really well when I go to wash, hahaha :) Thank you very much!

No problem! And yeah, check for any seams and if you're using wooden ones, maybe sand and oil them before you use them. Because your hair is so thick, a warning: your hair might eat them. I lost a few sticks that way.

Panth
March 6th, 2015, 10:57 AM

I would be inclined to suggest that you're actually wavier/curlier than you think.

Do you comb/brush your hair damp? If so, it's possible that you're straightening your waves out.

Mehry
March 6th, 2015, 12:44 PM
New here ... Straight/fine/slippery hair, TB/Hip length, and some pressing questions:

1. I shampoo AT LEAST every other day - front hair and bangs look limp, greasy, and stringy in a hurry. Dry shampoo just makes it static-y. Though I understand it's better for long hair, the idea of washing any less frequently kind of gives me the willies. How do you cope between wash days … and how spaced out should they actually be? And how do your SO's (if applicable) feel about spaced washes?

2. Any mothers of small grabby children - Practical tips on how to manage hair day-to-day without looking either frumpy or as if I'm ashamed of it (tucked and clipped out of the way, under hats, usually in severe “school-marm” buns)? Quick and attractive do's that take little or no bobby pins and can be accomplished in under 5 minutes would be ideal. I've about perfected the nautilus bun, but besides that, I know may be asking the impossible.

3. And with all this ... Ladies, is it really worth it? Hair this long does seem pretty impractical, esp with small children, but I'm sick of hearing "Just cut it. It'll grow back."

Really, I like my long hair, and my husband adores it - he'll even brush it and braid it fun ways and everything. It's just these few issues that keep putting proverbial knots in the mane of daily life, and I've nowhere else to turn in perky short-hair people land. Even Google keeps sending me back here. :)

I know that's a lot to ask all at once, but thanks in advance ...

RancheroTheBee
March 6th, 2015, 12:48 PM
New here ... Straight/fine/slippery hair, TB/Hip length, and some pressing questions:

1. I shampoo AT LEAST every other day - front hair and bangs look limp, greasy, and stringy in a hurry. Dry shampoo just makes it static-y. Though I understand it's better for long hair, the idea of washing any less frequently kind of gives me the willies. How do you cope between wash days … and how spaced out should they actually be? And how do your SO's (if applicable) feel about spaced washes?

2. Any mothers of small grabby children - Practical tips on how to manage hair day-to-day without looking either frumpy or as if I'm ashamed of it (tucked and clipped out of the way, under hats, usually in severe “school-marm” buns)? Quick and attractive do's that take little or no bobby pins and can be accomplished in under 5 minutes would be ideal. I've about perfected the nautilus bun, but besides that, I know may be asking the impossible.

3. And with all this ... Ladies, is it really worth it? Hair this long does seem pretty impractical, esp with small children, but I'm sick of hearing "Just cut it. It'll grow back."

Really, I like my long hair, and my husband adores it - he'll even brush it and braid it fun ways and everything. It's just these few issues that keep putting proverbial knots in the mane of daily life, and I've nowhere else to turn in perky short-hair people land. Even Google keeps sending me back here. :)

I can only answer the first one, really. I stretch as much as four days, but I have thick, dry, coarse hair, and I can go for much longer without stretching. You can try just rinsing it with water, but honestly, if it turns out your hair can't tolerate more than every other day, as we say here, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Don't worry too much about what other people are doing. Oh, and my SO wouldn't ever notice. But then again, once I dyed my (red) hair black, and it took him twenty minutes to notice the difference.

Panth
March 6th, 2015, 01:13 PM

1) Stretching washes a YMMV thing. Some people (with really dry hair/scalp and, perhaps, dark coarse hair that doesn't show grease badly) can go with a wash once every 2 or even 4 weeks. Most people here are somewhere between washing every other day and washing once a week, I think. Washing twice a week is common. You can generally stretch better if you use SLS-containing shampoos. Also, it's quite possible to do a bangs-only wash (and bangs tend to look greasier quicker, as they pick up sweat from the forehead and get touched more). Personally, I wash about twice a week and don't push it further than that. I tried, it didn't work, so I just don't bother. Stretching washes is not something you can (indefinitely) train your scalp to accept. Nor is it absolutely necessary. You certainly should not be going around with hair that makes you feel gross or ugly. However, if you can stretch a little (even if it's just to every other day) it'd probably be good if only because it'll save you time and money (less products to use/buy!).

2) Buns of all sorts - worn high or low, as you please. Single or double. Etc. There are masses and masses - check out LHC members' youtube channels, e.g. TorrinPaige, Hypnotica, etc. Also, braided styles such as maiden braids, hair taping, Freida Kahlo braids, etc. To get away from the "school marm" look, consider accent braids, parandas, nice hair toys, etc.

3) IMO, it'd be more practical with grabby children, as you can actually get long hair up and out of the way, whereas with shorter hair you don't really have that option. Personally, I find long hair massively more practical (and less effort and cheaper) than short hair. It's just a question of where you spend your time. I don't need haircuts, dye, etc. so no hairdresser visits. I don't need to blow-dry or style (unless it's super-cold weather) as I can just plait or bun damp hair and it looks neat and tidy. I always have a quick, easy style that looks good for every-day and doesn't require blow drying, straightening/curling tongs, product, etc. However, I'm very much a benign neglect person, I've had long hair forever (and so am super-used to dealing with it) and I don't have children. YMMV.

MeAndTheMaz
March 6th, 2015, 01:16 PM

:scissors:

Even Google keeps sending me back here. :)

Afraid I have no useful advice. Except to say "welcome". The Google can be very smart some times.

ETA: To add to what Panth said about videos, here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120673) the "I made a video" thread. You'll find lots of useful stuff there.

Laurenji
March 6th, 2015, 02:37 PM

1) You might not be able to stretch. Not without prolonged willingness to look at greasy hair. The only reason I can stretch washes now is because I a) grew out my bangs and b) basically gave up on my hair while I was pregnant, and just braided it and kept it in a bun every day. It looked and felt thoroughly, utterly greasy by the time I got around to wash it. But it helped me learn tricks that made it look less greasy (like a dutch lace braid right across the front, or dutch braiding a mohawk-thin strip across the top), and it also means my hair no longer looks or feels as greasy on the first couple days after I wash it. I think what really happened is it just increased my tolerance for greasy-looking hair. If you don't want to do that, I definitely don't blame you.

2) My hair is basically always in a bun or a braid. Braids are not always workable depending on how grabby my 18 mo son is being. Buns look much more fancy if you add accent braids (like the accross-the-front lace braid or down-the-middle braids I was talking about earlier), and I've found that especially if I sleep on a silk pillowcase, my braids can last for a day or two without rebraiding. Then all the time that it takes is just to do the bun. Buns can look fancier depending on what kinds of hair toys you use; I think Ficcares are pretty classy-looking, and you can get knock-off versions at Ulta for $8.

3) I think the only way short hair would be easier is if it were all the way short, i.e. a very short pixie. That's the only way that it would not get in my face, not be in the way of grabby hands, not need styling, not take much time to wash, etc. Anything longer than that (in the range of long-ish pixie through about BSL) would just be too much bother, because it gets in your face, is too short to put up properly, can easily be grabbed by grabby babies, requires someone else to cut it for you, and is just generally a pain. My long hair is so much easier than, say, shoulder-length hair or a bob would be.

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 03:34 PM

I bun my hair and cover it with a plastic shower cap. :)

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 03:43 PM

I do scalp-only washes in between full washes. I just braid and/or bun my hair, cover it with 2 plastic caps and wash my scalp, focusing on the hairline the most. I use diluted shampoo and an applicator bottle to make it easy.

I like the braided cinnabun, Elling woman bun, Amish braids, braided lazy wrap bun... They all hold pretty well! :)

Robot Ninja
March 6th, 2015, 04:27 PM

Bobby pins are pretty useless. Get yourself a pair of sticks, or try spin pins, or if you want a really cheap option, get some double-pointed knitting needles and bend them in half around a doorknob, they make excellent hairpins. With practice, there are a lot of buns you can do in less than a minute. I find if you do them at the back of the head they look the most school-marmy, whereas a low bun with a side part is a more sophisticated look, and a bun at the crown of the head is a more youthful style.

This is the wrong place to be asking that question, because we'll all say yes. I say, if you like it, it's worth it. Just bun it when the kids get grabby. They'll grow out of it soon.

Breanna
March 6th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I'm technically not a newbie but since I'm "new" to overnight hair treatments I would like to ask, how exactly do you cover your hair well enough for the treatment to not get all over your pillow and bed? I feel like just my shower cap would come off too easily.

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I'm technically not a newbie but since I'm "new" to overnight hair treatments I would like to ask, how exactly do you cover your hair well enough for the treatment to not get all over your pillow and bed? I feel like just my shower cap would come off too easily.

I haven't done overnight treatments in ages (apart from pre-poo oiling), but what I like to do is to cover my pillow with a towel that I don't mind staining.
In general, watery, drippy treatments mess up my sleep, so I don't do those.

Ava Ruu
March 6th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Is there a place for discussing diy hair sticks or forks? I feel like playing with a knife, a saw and a block of wood, but since it will certainly be more difficult than I expect it would be nice to read experiences from similar projects.

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Is there a place for discussing diy hair sticks or forks? I feel like playing with a knife, a saw and a block of wood, but since it will certainly be more difficult than I expect it would be nice to read experiences from similar projects.

Oh YESSS! We have an awesome and huge thread on self-made hair-toys: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131 Lots of thud-worthy gorgeousness there! :D
Also, there are threads on resin-casting: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129120 and learning how to make hair sticks/forks: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130058 and probably more in the Crafts & Hobbies section of the LHC. ;)

Ava Ruu
March 6th, 2015, 07:05 PM
^Oh, and they are all in sections that I can not access yet. Good to know that they exist, I will read them one day. Thank you for your answer.

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM
^Oh, and they are all in sections that I can not access yet. Good to know that they exist, I will read them one day. Thank you for your answer.

Oh yes, they are all in the Crafts & Hobbies section, and I only found it a few months ago myself, he-he. I didn't realize the restriction... I guess one needs 25+ posts to access that section...

Breanna
March 6th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I've made my own hair sticks and I can give you some information until you can access those threads, if you want! :flower:

meteor
March 6th, 2015, 07:27 PM
^ How awesome of you, Breanna, to offer help and tips! :applause
I am not crafty at all (all my self-made hairsticks broke right away :( ), but one easy tip I have is to find reusable, sturdy chopsticks (the ones for children are shorter) and paint them with nail polish. :)

Ava Ruu
March 6th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I've made my own hair sticks and I can give you some information until you can access those threads, if you want! :flower: Thank you! I was mainly wondering if the hardness of the wood matters. Softer wood types would be easier to work with but do they also break more easily? And does the direction of the wood grain make a difference? Should the stick be oriented along the grain, perpendicular to it or at an angle? I thought that I would start by making sticks. I know that I like them to curve a little but I will still need to figure out the right thickness. I also have some chopsticks already. I might try your suggestion, too, meteor.

MeAndTheMaz
March 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I don't know anything about making hair sticks, but I can tell you that you want the grain to run the length of the stick. If the wood is going to break, it's going to break along the grain.

Laurenji
March 6th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Hard wood is better, as it will stand up to the pressures of being in your hair better. It's not impossible to make a stick/fork out of softer wood, but it is more likely to break.

Breanna
March 6th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Thank you! I was mainly wondering if the hardness of the wood matters. Softer wood types would be easier to work with but do they also break more easily? And does the direction of the wood grain make a difference? Should the stick be oriented along the grain, perpendicular to it or at an angle? I thought that I would start by making sticks. I know that I like them to curve a little but I will still need to figure out the right thickness. I also have some chopsticks already. I might try your suggestion, too, meteor.

Definitely use softer woods so that you don't kill your hands trying to carve haha. Softer woods are still pretty sturdy, I wouldn't worry. The grain should run through the stick length-wise, and that way it will be easier to sand and it'll be stronger. My dad tried to make a comb for me but the grain was the wrong way and it broke before he finished it :'( Anyway hope this is helpful!
How big is the piece of wood you're using, and what kind is it?

Mehry
March 6th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Thank you all the people! I'm feeling wondrously educated already. I've never heard of parandas, Elling woman braids, Amish braids, lazy wrap bun, bent knitting needles ... lots of encouraging places to start. :)

RancheroTheBee
March 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Oh, I have a silly one, even though I am not a newbie.

My hair gets pretty dry, especially in the winter, and it's been bleached once so it tends to need some extra care. I use 'cones because I like the slip it gives my hair, but by day three my ends feel a bit crunchy. I know oils aren't moisturizing, and I am not interested in adding another layer of 'cones to my hair halfway between washes, but I'm concerned that any leave-in conditioner wouldn't really get into the shaft, what with the 'cones. Any ideas?

-Fern
March 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM

My hair gets pretty dry, especially in the winter, and it's been bleached once so it tends to need some extra care. I use 'cones because I like the slip it gives my hair, but by day three my ends feel a bit crunchy. I know oils aren't moisturizing, and I am not interested in adding another layer of 'cones to my hair halfway between washes, but I'm concerned that any leave-in conditioner wouldn't really get into the shaft, what with the 'cones. Any ideas?

Heya! Sounds very similar to what I find with my hair (I use a 'cone-y conditioner), and our hair types are fairly similar, too. I wet my hair with warm water and apply SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) just to the ends and then wrap my hair with plastic and then wrap a warm towel around the plastic. Let it sit for about twenty minutes, and I usually reheat the towel halfway through. Rinse out. Dry per usual routine.

ETA: In my length picture here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12233&attachmentid=15966), you can see how crunchy the ends are. After doing the above, the ends looked just like the rest of my hair. Hope it works for you!

CurlyGrace
March 8th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but what is this S&D method that I keep hearing thrown around? What does S&D stand for? It's a trimming method, right? How does one do it and how often should you do it? Is it just as or less beneficial then just giving yourself a basic trim?

Anje
March 8th, 2015, 08:51 AM

It's not true for everyone, but I find I get crunchy dry ends at about day 3 when I use cones (seems like it's dimethicone, but I can't rule out the volatile ones like cyclomethicone as culprits). Have you tried going without and using a conditioner with behentrimonium in it instead? That's my magic bullet for slip without the problems cones give me. On the other hand, I doubt the silicones on your hair have made it totally impermeable; some leave-in should still penetrate.

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but what is this S&D method that I keep hearing thrown around? What does S&D stand for? It's a trimming method, right? How does one do it and how often should you do it? Is it just as or less beneficial then just giving yourself a basic trim?

S&D == Search and Destroy. It involves just snipping off the broken tips of hairs that are split. If you've got some splits but not tons, you can eliminate them and keep growing without a trim. (Obviously, there's eventually a point where it is worth it to cut out the damage rather than individually trimming so many hairs.) It's great for people like me who have a few odd splits scattered through their hair at many different levels instead of just at the hemline.

RancheroTheBee
March 8th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Heya! Sounds very similar to what I find with my hair (I use a 'cone-y conditioner), and our hair types are fairly similar, too. I wet my hair with warm water and apply SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) just to the ends and then wrap my hair with plastic and then wrap a warm towel around the plastic. Let it sit for about twenty minutes, and I usually reheat the towel halfway through. Rinse out. Dry per usual routine.

ETA: In my length picture here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12233&attachmentid=15966), you can see how crunchy the ends are. After doing the above, the ends looked just like the rest of my hair. Hope it works for you!

Okay, thanks! I've never actually tried an SMT despite being here for like, six years. :p Thanks!

As Anje said, it's only for if you don't need a full trim. Tip: make sure that you use very sharp, real barber's scissors, not craft scissors or something. Do not let yourself or anyone else use those scissors for anything other than hair, otherwise you just breed more splits.

fisaah
March 8th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Re: About the hairstick question - I used pens and pencils to put my hair up and then measured which length fit me the best (including the topper) and then based on that I ordered a bunch of hairforks and sticks. This is really the best way to do it because every person is different so there is no "standard."

meteor
March 8th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Silicones are great for coating and protecting bleached or otherwise damaged hair, they are occlusives (reduce fast evaporation of water from the surface) and their effect is somewhat similar to oils. So actually in wintertime, if your hair is dry, I'd increase the use of oils, silicones and other occlusives, on top of moisturized hair (let's say: after an SMT). Consider pre-poo oiling, adding oils to conditioner and oil rinses. Here's a good article on how to make oils work for different hair types: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html

For winter dryness, I'd look into getting a humidifier (your skin will thank you too) and sleeping on silky materials (avoid lint-producing flannel and other rough materials).

SMT (rich in humectants: aloe and honey) is going to attract water to your hair in high humidity, so it's good to use in the shower, where there is steam.

Also, I'd recommend looking into hydrolyzed proteins - they are great for bleached/porous hair. Something like a DIY gelatin treatment or Joico K-Pak reconstructor should help. Gelatin treatment recipe: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
More on protein: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html

Also, I'd recommend reading this article by Nightshade: it has lots of great tips on hair TLC - http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Last, but not least, if you continue with bleach, use coconut oil and hydrolyzed proteins (e.g. Aphogee 2-Step) on hair both pre- and post-bleach - that helps reduce damage a bit.

RancheroTheBee
March 8th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Silicones are great for coating and protecting bleached or otherwise damaged hair, they are occlusives (reduce fast evaporation of water from the surface) and their effect is somewhat similar to oils. So actually in wintertime, if your hair is dry, I'd increase the use of oils, silicones and other occlusives, on top of moisturized hair (let's say: after an SMT). Consider pre-poo oiling, adding oils to conditioner and oil rinses. Here's a good article on how to make oils work for different hair types: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html

For winter dryness, I'd look into getting a humidifier (your skin will thank you too) and sleeping on silky materials (avoid lint-producing flannel and other rough materials).

SMT (rich in humectants: aloe and honey) is going to attract water to your hair in high humidity, so it's good to use in the shower, where there is steam.

Also, I'd recommend looking into hydrolyzed proteins - they are great for bleached/porous hair. Something like a DIY gelatin treatment or Joico K-Pak reconstructor should help. Gelatin treatment recipe: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
More on protein: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html

Also, I'd recommend reading this article by Nightshade: it has lots of great tips on hair TLC - http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Last, but not least, if you continue with bleach, use coconut oil and hydrolyzed proteins (e.g. Aphogee 2-Step) on hair both pre- and post-bleach - that helps reduce damage a bit.

Thank you so much! As of right now, I sleep on a silk pillowcase (when my boyfriend doesn't steal it), and I use a protein pack with some frequency. I don't plan on continuing with the bleach, but I can definitely attest to the pre-oiling saving it from getting too bad the one time I did.

As for the humidifier, I was thinking about it, but by the time spring rolls around here, it gets so humid that most places here require a DE-humidifier.

In any case, thank you for the advice! I think I'll try 'coning after a good moisturising treatment, but I just did a pre-shampoo oiling and that seemed to help a bit.

meteor
March 8th, 2015, 12:11 PM
^ Sounds great, RancheroTheBee! :thumbsup: And I sure hope spring and humidity are going to help our hair soon! :D

Ava Ruu
March 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Thank you for all answers related to diy hairsticks! I have only got rather small pieces of wood - branches the wind has dropped and small recycled bits so there is not awfully much carving to do. The hardware store can only sell quantities from three meters up, so I am hoping to get some leftovers from my parents or friends who have been renovating their homes. My first stick is almost ready, in the testing stage. The thing wants to keep rotating in my hair, so it is maybe a bit too curvy after all.

I have a new question concerning the surface treatments. The stick does not glide through my hair, in Finnish I would say that it feels tahkea, if that means anything for someone. The stick feels smooth to my hands and nothing graps my hair, but there is more resist when I insert it to my hair than for my old hairstick (of unknown material, maybe plastic or horn). Would oiling, staining or painting improve the surface or do I just need to keep sanding and sanding? Are wooden hairsticks usually sticky?

Breanna
March 8th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Thank you for all answers related to diy hairsticks! I have only got rather small pieces of wood - branches the wind has dropped and small recycled bits so there is not awfully much carving to do. The hardware store can only sell quantities from three meters up, so I am hoping to get some leftovers from my parents or friends who have been renovating their homes. My first stick is almost ready, in the testing stage. The thing wants to keep rotating in my hair, so it is maybe a bit too curvy after all.

I have a new question concerning the surface treatments. The stick does not glide through my hair, in Finnish I would say that it feels tahkea, if that means anything for someone. The stick feels smooth to my hands and nothing graps my hair, but there is more resist when I insert it to my hair than for my old hairstick (of unknown material, maybe plastic or horn). Would oiling, staining or painting improve the surface or do I just need to keep sanding and sanding? Are wooden hairsticks usually sticky?

Branches are great for carving! You might need to get some more fine grit sandpaper and keep smoothing it down, when it's ready it should be almost shiny. It's also good to put some oil on it afterwards.

lazuliblue
March 8th, 2015, 07:11 PM

Are you using different grits of sanding paper? You need to start off with a coarse grit sandpaper and then work down gradually to a finer one, then you can oil them and put a wax on top of that, if you like (once the oil is dry.) Then they should be smooth.

Also, does the stick have a gradual taper? I sometimes find it hard to put a stick into my hair if it is quite thick and then only tapers at the end, if that makes sense!

Ava Ruu
March 8th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Thank you both! I have a couple of different grits of sandpaper, but I should probably get one (or two) finer. Back to sanding, then. The stick has gradual taper but I could try to enhance that a bit more.

MeAndTheMaz
March 8th, 2015, 10:50 PM
How fine a grit of sandpaper are you using? If you really want to smooth out your stick, you might have to go to something like 500 grit paper.

epicrosie
March 9th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Thank you both! I have a couple of different grits of sandpaper, but I should probably get one (or two) finer. Back to sanding, then. The stick has gradual taper but I could try to enhance that a bit more.

You should put some photos up when you're done. That would be awesome to see your masterpiece :D

hinabelle
March 10th, 2015, 07:02 PM
How often does one S&D on average? I have been finding myself doing it whenever I have time,
so once a day or once every other day. It's so frustrating to be out and about and see some
split ends but have no scissors!! I have weaker than normal hair and I also read a few posts from
other threads, so this is part curiosity, part advice-seeking.

How do I tell if my scissors are too blunt? I am using hair scissors that have only ever been used
for hair, but they aren't very high quality. When I S&D, the hairs come clean off and all is well, but
I've noticed some strange looking "frayed" splits recently. I'm wondering if they came from the scissors.
It could also be attributed to my non-metal elastics but I don't know. I'm concerned because I need
to S&D but I don't know if I should get a different pair of scissors! :confused:

How do you put a stick in your hair? What parts of a bun need to have the stick through it? I tried
a bunch of different times to keep my bun up with a chopstick but it would always unravel at some point.
Also, what's the best way to keep your hair up for exercise without using an elastic? I figure that
a stick could kind of jostle its way out during activity but perhaps a fork or a clip could keep my hair
up better. I've been trying to stay away from elastics as much as I can, but I don't know if that's necessary.
My hair is weak due to chemical straightening, but I'm finding that as long as I treat it like silk and baby it,
it is alright. :)

meteor
March 10th, 2015, 07:38 PM
So many great questions... :thumbsup: I'll just answer what I can. :)

How do you put a stick in your hair? What parts of a bun need to have the stick through it? I tried
a bunch of different times to keep my bun up with a chopstick but it would always unravel at some point.
Also, what's the best way to keep your hair up for exercise without using an elastic? I figure that
a stick could kind of jostle its way out during activity but perhaps a fork or a clip could keep my hair
up better. I've been trying to stay away from elastics as much as I can, but I don't know if that's necessary.
My hair is weak due to chemical straightening, but I'm finding that as long as I treat it like silk and baby it,
it is alright. :)

For pinning a bun with a hairstick, grab some hair on the edge of the bun, then point the stick in the opposite direction, grab some scalp hair under the bun as you are pushing stick through the other side of the bun... If it's a center-held bun (lazy wrap, nautilus...) then you don't even need to weave the stick through much. The key is to ease the stick in, not to torque and not to use too much pressure.
Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf4ElyLAAE

For sports, I'd do a braided bun/updo - Interlaced Dutch braids, Amish braids, Ellingwoman braided bun... braids hold a bit better, and even if the bun unravels, you can bun your braid(s) back up again within seconds.

Lauraes
March 10th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I have super fine, super straight fussy hair. It seems like most of the people on this forum don't wash their hair every day and I've heard it's bad to wash too often, but with my hair type, is it possible that my hair should be washed daily? After 24 hours without shampooing (no matter what brand of shampoo/conditioner I use), my hair starts to look really dull/flat, greasy, frizzy, and it becomes a lot more prone to tangles, which damages my hair. I've switched to sulfate free shampoo and I've started using coconut oil once a week, along with my leave in conditioner (and maybe a tiny bit of CO) that I use daily.

meteor
March 10th, 2015, 07:47 PM
^ Yeah, why not? You can wash daily if you really feel like you can't stand the look of oily hair, but consider things like dry shampoos, scalp-only washes, CO-washing, ...
It's just that if you wash your hair weekly, you put your hair through some wet manipulation, exposure to detergents, hygral fatigue, post-wash detangling only 52 times a year, but if you wash your hair daily, you put your hair through all that 365 times a year... Personally, I'd try to stretch, but YMMV, and if your scalp and hair protest and want to be washed daily, then trust your scalp and hair! ;)

Lauraes
March 10th, 2015, 08:07 PM
^ Yeah, why not? You can wash daily if you really feel like you can't stand the look of oily hair, but consider things like dry shampoos, scalp-only washes, CO-washing, ...
It's just that if you wash your hair weekly, you put your hair through some wet manipulation, exposure to detergents, hygral fatigue, post-wash detangling only 52 times a year, but if you wash your hair daily, you put your hair through all that 365 times a year... Personally, I'd try to stretch, but YMMV, and if your scalp and hair protest and want to be washed daily, then trust your scalp and hair! ;)
Oops, I forgot to mention that when I wash, I put shampoo on my roots, and conditioner on the length, then I wash/rinse, then I condition everything, including the roots. So the length of my hair isn't really exposed to the shampoo except once a week after my CO treatment, when I have to shampoo everything to get the oil out. :)

meteor
March 10th, 2015, 08:12 PM
^ Great! :D But you still need to wet it and dry it and detangle it post-wash...
Have you looked into scalp-only washes (where you keep the hair braided/bunned under a plastic shower cap and wash only scalp)? They are so helpful for cases when the scalp is oily but hair is dry - saves lots of time and effort, too.
Personally, I like this method for partial scalp-only washes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

Panth
March 11th, 2015, 02:14 AM
How often does one S&D on average? I have been finding myself doing it whenever I have time, so once a day or once every other day. It's so frustrating to be out and about and see some split ends but have no scissors!! I have weaker than normal hair and I also read a few posts from other threads, so this is part curiosity, part advice-seeking.

How do I tell if my scissors are too blunt? I am using hair scissors that have only ever been used for hair, but they aren't very high quality. When I S&D, the hairs come clean off and all is well, but I've noticed some strange looking "frayed" splits recently. I'm wondering if they came from the scissors. It could also be attributed to my non-metal elastics but I don't know. I'm concerned because I need to S&D but I don't know if I should get a different pair of scissors! :confused:

How do you put a stick in your hair? What parts of a bun need to have the stick through it? I tried a bunch of different times to keep my bun up with a chopstick but it would always unravel at some point. Also, what's the best way to keep your hair up for exercise without using an elastic? I figure that a stick could kind of jostle its way out during activity but perhaps a fork or a clip could keep my hair up better. I've been trying to stay away from elastics as much as I can, but I don't know if that's necessary.
My hair is weak due to chemical straightening, but I'm finding that as long as I treat it like silk and baby it, it is alright. :)

I've heard some members say they S&D multiple times a week. Personally, that seems exceedingly excessive to me - if there really are that many splits and they're causing tangles and trouble then a microtrim (<1/4") would be far more time-efficient and easier on the eyes! Personally, I don't S&D systematically. Rather, if I'm bored I might check my braid tassel. Certainly no more than once every few weeks. However, I have virgin hair that gets daily updos - the damage and splits are relatively minor.

I'd suggest that if you've had chemical damage, that'd explain both your frayed splits and the large number of splits. Often if you're nursing major damage microtrimming is the best way to go about things, if only for time's sake. The whole point of S&D is to not take off good ends along with the bad but if most of your hair is split then the advantages of S&D disappear. You'll also likely need to trim more often than someone who's not babying major damage. For some people, that's as much as trimming half or all of their growth off every month. YMMV. It'll depend on your goals, how damaged your hair is and how much damage you can put up with - both aesthetically and from the tangle-promoting perspective.

I'd certainly recommend ditching the hair elastics, though, especially if you're using them for ponytails. Although the no-metal ones are better, they're still damaging. Ponytails are especially bad and especially so if you do the "tighten by splitting the ponytail and pulling the two halves apart" thing.

sjlaurence
March 12th, 2015, 07:20 AM
I noticed today on one of my shed hairs that it has a white bulb on the one side. Is this normal? Should it be white? The only other "hair bulb" I have seen is from plucked eyebrow hairs which looked different. I know it isn't a split because I can see that it comes from the root side of my hair due to colour difference in my hair.

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I noticed today on one of my shed hairs that it has a white bulb on the one side. Is this normal? Should it be white? The only other "hair bulb" I have seen is from plucked eyebrow hairs which looked different. I know it isn't a split because I can see that it comes from the root side of my hair due to colour difference in my hair.

It's normal. The bulb is most likely the root of the hair. They can vary quite a bit in how they look, depending where on your body you take the hair and in what of its growth phases it is in at. The eyebrow hair is plucked out when the bulb/root was still alive, so the bulb looks big and black and moist (or what ever it looks like). The small, light bulb is probably a hair root that has reached its maximum age, and has sort of died and shed out from the scalp - or pushed out of the scalp by a new, growing hair shaft.

Ava Ruu
March 22nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
When people write of satin (as a material for pillowcases or sleeping caps) do they mean polyester satin or just any fabric weaved using the satin weave?

Arctic
March 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
^ Probably depends on a person, but I assume most people don't know it's actually a type of weave.

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 01:27 PM
When people write of satin (as a material for pillowcases or sleeping caps) do they mean polyester satin or just any fabric weaved using the satin weave?

Satin weave creates a very smooth finish, so I think that's what those people focus on.
Oh, and by the way, the material itself doesn't have to be silk, it can be anything that's smooth and not overly absorbent and doesn't create too much static or lint or other potential issues for hair. ;)

Ava Ruu
March 22nd, 2015, 01:42 PM
Thank you!

I was also wondering if there is a good place to learn of inci codes? I would like to know a bit more of what the different incredients used in shampoos and conditioners do, but when it comes to haircare I do not know enough to tell if the websites are good or not.

Pinni
March 22nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
Where I can find information about essential oils in hair care?

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 01:57 PM
Thank you!

I was also wondering if there is a good place to learn of inci codes? I would like to know a bit more of what the different incredients used in shampoos and conditioners do, but when it comes to haircare I do not know enough to tell if the websites are good or not.

With newer ingredients, this can sometimes get tricky, and this post by Beauty Brains explains some issues with the nomenclature pretty well: http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/07/06/understanding-cosmetic-ingredient-names/
Personally, I find it easy to just Google ingredients I don't know and go to websites I'm more likely to trust. I sort of like Beautypedia's guide to cosmetic ingredients - http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/, but lots of new names appear all the time, so simple ad-hoc googling seems to work best for me. :shrug:

Arctic
March 22nd, 2015, 01:59 PM
Pinni here are two LHC threads, one leads to the archived forum and one is here at the active forum. Both concentrate on hair loss and recovering from it. There might be others, too, but you might find better info from elsewhere. I warmly recommend borrowing a book over reading this and that over the internet, especially if aromatherapy is new to you.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

Ava, I have been learning myself. Just googling ingredient names. You'll soon notice if the website is trustworthy looking or not. There are many threads about certain ingredients in LHC too, you probably have more luck finding them using google than the site's own search function.

Pinni
March 22nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Pinni here are two LHC threads, one leads to the archived forum and one is here at the active forum. Both concentrate on hair loss and recovering from it. There might be others, too, but you might find better info from elsewhere. I warmly recommend borrowing a book over reading this and that over the internet, especially if aromatherapy is new to you.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

Ava, I have been learning myself. Just googling ingredient names. You'll soon notice if the website is trustworthy looking or not. There are many threads about certain ingredients in LHC too, you probably have more luck finding them using google than the site's own search function.

Thank you!

Brad
March 22nd, 2015, 02:08 PM
I got one for you.
When you have posted something, or following a post.....how or is there a way that you can keep track of what you have been doing? A notification that a new reply on what you were following ???something????? wondering?

Arctic
March 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure if you need 25 posts to access these features, or not, but here's one way of how:

On the upper part of the page, there is a a drop down menu called "Quick Links". Click that, and choose "Subscribed Threads".

Hope this helps!

Ava Ruu
March 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks again, meteor and Arctic!

Brad
March 22nd, 2015, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure if you need 25 posts to access these features, or not, but here's one way of how:

On the upper part of the page, there is a a drop down menu called "Quick Links". Click that, and choose "Subscribed Threads".

Hope this helps!
okay, I found that, now how do I subscribed to the threads?

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 03:34 PM
okay, I found that, now how do I subscribed to the threads?

Go to the top of the thread - you'll see "Thread Tools" in the right corner, click on it and then click on "Subscribe to This Thread" in the drop-down menu. HTH :flower:

Brad
March 22nd, 2015, 04:33 PM
Go to the top of the thread - you'll see "Thread Tools" in the right corner, click on it and then click on "Subscribe to This Thread" in the drop-down menu. HTH :flower:

Thanks, it worked hehe

Lolino
March 23rd, 2015, 07:28 AM
I do apologise if this has been asked already, I tried searching the forum, and the thread, but maybe my search terms weren't precise enough ^^; But making a new thread also felt redundant.

How do you actually tell the difference between dandruff/dry scalp/ buildup /other ?

Reason for asking;
Quite often when I'm scratching my head (not due to itching, just thinking process) I get some sort of white gunk under my nails, even if I washed my hair 10 minutes ago. Sometimes it's more gunky, sometimes not. Also when I scratch my hairline under my bangs, small flakes sort of start snowing down on my shirt but they don't normally show in my hair. I'm guessing the latter is dry scalp, but what's the gunk? And how do I treat it? I tried oiling my scalp but it just got stuck in my hair and never reached the skin. My hair felt fabulous! But my scalp was still bleh-y. I've changed shampoo/conditioner to see if that was the cause, and done a vinegar rinse but it's still the same. I don't use any other products except an argan oil serum on the length.

Also, S&D. Do you do like... sessions, or just cut splits when you see them? and how high up from the split should one cut? Is it just splits or also tips that look..I guess white-ish, or at least much lighter in colour compared to the rest.

Arctic
March 23rd, 2015, 09:25 AM
I do apologise if this has been asked already, I tried searching the forum, and the thread, but maybe my search terms weren't precise enough ^^; But making a new thread also felt redundant.

How do you actually tell the difference between dandruff/dry scalp/ buildup /other ?

Reason for asking;
Quite often when I'm scratching my head (not due to itching, just thinking process) I get some sort of white gunk under my nails, even if I washed my hair 10 minutes ago. Sometimes it's more gunky, sometimes not. Also when I scratch my hairline under my bangs, small flakes sort of start snowing down on my shirt but they don't normally show in my hair. I'm guessing the latter is dry scalp, but what's the gunk? And how do I treat it? I tried oiling my scalp but it just got stuck in my hair and never reached the skin. My hair felt fabulous! But my scalp was still bleh-y. I've changed shampoo/conditioner to see if that was the cause, and done a vinegar rinse but it's still the same. I don't use any other products except an argan oil serum on the length.

Also, S&D. Do you do like... sessions, or just cut splits when you see them? and how high up from the split should one cut? Is it just splits or also tips that look..I guess white-ish, or at least much lighter in colour compared to the rest.

These are very good questions, and I think worthy of a thread of their own. I might not be able to answer to the first part of the question. But....

Dandruff. I, personally, knew I don't have dryness related flaking because my skin is not dry. I have oily skin and scalp, oily hair, and almost never suffer from dry feel. I have acne prone skin, and sensitive scalp. My scalp reacts furiously to many things, like new shampoos, conditioner on scalp, prolonged times between washings, oiling, many hair products, etc.

Things that my scalp likes: frequent cleansing with shampoos many here would consider harsh, essential oils, aloe vera gel, vinegar rinses, keeping it clean in general and keeping product off of my scalp. Specific dandruff shampoos help my scalp (best active ingredients for me: piroctone olamine and ketoconazole).

These things together are a clear signs that the dandruff I have suffered since teenage is real dandruff, that is, yeast over-growth related imbalance of the scalp (ps. using piroctone olamine -shampoo as my main shampoo has enabled me to have a dandruff-free scalp for years now, vinegar rinses have always been great. Before I found my trusty shampoo, I got bouts of better and worse periods, and Nizoral helped to calm the worse periods. Now I haven't had to use it in years.).

If you have dry skin in general and your flaking is more like "dust" than bigger flakes, it might be just dry scalp issue.

BTW it's completely normal for everyone, for every part of our skin, to have a layer of dead skin cells, sebum, etc, as a thin layer on top. If you scratch your leg, you will notice this layer is removed mechanically (gunk under nails, dusty particles). The layer is not a bad thing, it protects the skin and helps to keep the pH balance healthy, etc. (Some skin issues lead to abnormal skin functioning, which may effect how the skin looks, how thick the layer is and how fast it forms, etc.)

Buildup on scalp. I guess it's normal too, to a point. There are the dead skin cells, sebum, airborne particles, dust, lint, minerals from water, coating agents from shampoo and conditioner and oils (and yes, even if you don't put conditioner or oil or serum in your scalp it can and will travel upwards at least on some hairtype. On very curly hair maybe not so much.)... and not every washing strips everything off of the scalp, especially the more gentle LHC-style washing methods. And yes, different shampoos and other products may cause different amounts and types of buildup.

I think it's very normal to have some "snowing" when you scratch your scalp, even if you don't have dry scalp or dandruff. The fact that scalp renews itself just like skin elsewhere does BUT the dense, thick and long hair (compared to other body parts) prevents the dead skin (etc, all those above mentioned things that form the layer of scalp) slouching off easily.

You could try exfoliating your scalp sometimes. Brown sugar scalp scrub is nice, but if you suspect fungal infection, I would avoid putting sugars in my scalp, because yeasts feed from sugars. I've been known to exfoliate my scalp with fine grain sea salt (I just mix it with my shampoo). I haven't noticed any drying effect on my hair, even though salt is drying in general. For one it's only in contact with my hair for a moment and secondly, salt seems to be an ingredient on most shampoos, so I don't think it's harmful used like this.

This all being said, if your scalp looks and feels healthy, and your hair is growing well, I wouldn't think you need to get rid of the gunk. It is partially a defence mechanism that your scalp naturally has, it's part of the acid mantle.

Oiling scalp. As for applying oil, or anything else on your scalp, how easy it is, depends a lot of your hairtype, how thick and dense your hair is. Looking at your hairtype indicator, I think it's more of a technique issue for you. I get all of my scalp easily this way: I sit down and bend my head forward so, that my hair hangs downwards. I have a small, shallow dish where I have my scalp treatment, and I dip my finger tips in there. Then I start from the front (or back, or sides, doesn't matter where you start) hairline, and glide my finger tips against my scalp towards the crown. I re-dip my fingertips as I feel they need more treatment (I say treatment instead of oil, because I personally can't use oils, but I use other things, like vinegar or aloe gel). I get all the hairlines done first all around the hair, and then start working/gliding my way to the innermost parts, re-dipping my fingertips as needed, and working methodically towards the crown. When I feel it's all covered, I can give myself a scalp massage.

S&D. There are probably as many ways of doing it as there are people who do it. And I bet many people do both approaches: snipping one here and there and sometimes doing longer sessions.

It's hard to say how much to cut. Rule of thumb is to cut as little as you can get away with but to create a new, undamaged end at the same time. If the damage is minimal, say a 1 mm baby split at the very tip, maybe cut 1-2 mm above it. Always cut a little bit above it, because the split can travel inside the hair strand. If after the cutting the end looks and feels good, you have done a good job. If it still feels rough or re-splits immediately, cut some more. (Note: if you have wiry hairs, don't mistake them for damaged hairs. Wiry hairs can naturally feel rough and can kink, but they are normal and grow like that.)

Yes, sometimes lighter colour is an indicator of damage, but not always. For example a virgin, never cut hair, the tip can look lighter untill it reaches to it's normal thickness. These tips looks like veeeery delicate, tapered letter V. If you see rough looking white tips, like an abruptly ending hair with a white dot at the very tip, that is a broken hair and should be cut, otherwise it might split. If you see white dots higher up the hairshaft, those are damage too. (But can also be styling product or dust, so be careful.) Sometimes if the end is about to split but has yet, it can look thickened and lighter in colour. These can be cut too. Then again, if the hair is very dry, that might make the ends appear lighter. On very long hair ends are (almost) always lighter in colour than roots, so not all light areas are damage.

Lolino
March 23rd, 2015, 10:35 AM
Arctic Thank you very much for that detailed reply! :bowtome:

By your description, I don't think I've got dandruff. I used to have it (according to my hairdresser) as a child and teenager, but after reading that I'm not so sure it wasn't just dry scalp, since the product she sold me for it never really worked. The skin on my face is mostly combination, but parts of it gets very dry during the winter for example, and I have noticed the flaking a lot more recently, which is why I decided to post.

Logically, I should have connected the dead-skin on face/body = dead skin on scalp as well I suppose.. I hadn't thought of that at all! Most likely that is actually it, since my hair is doing nicely in all other matters, and my scalp isn't itchy or anything such. It's a relief to know it's normal(ish) :) I realised it wasn't a huge issue since I wasn't itching or bleeding, but nevertheless, unknown things cause worry after all.

I have never heard of using a scrub on my scalp! That's really interesting. I've done my own sugar/oil scrub for my body and face before, but would never in my life have thought of doing something similar to my scalp. I have to try that now although I'll try without sugar to be on the safe side, even if I do doubt that I have dandruff.

Your description of treating your scalp helps a lot, really, thank you! I did it completely differently, and in hindsight, obviously the oil won't get to my hair if my hair isn't out of the way in some manner first...Big d'oh moment. I will try your way, and see how it works for me, and how my scalp likes it (hopefully it will)! I will try with jojoba oil this time also, I believe last time the oil was also a bit too thick for me to use until I get the technique down a bit better.

Regarding the S&D, I've managed to get rid of my most obvious splits, but I believe I cut a bit too little on some of them so have to keep an eye out to make sure they're not re-splitting. Some of my ends are just 2-3 mm or so of a very light colour compared to rest, I imagine these are then close to splitting? On the other hand, some ends are shinier or darker on those same 2-3 mm, which is also confusing me. It's not the entire strand, just that very end. Is this also damage, or something else?

How do you reach the shorter hairs on your head for S&D? Since hair is always growing new strands, some of them are too short for me to see properly, do I just wait to do so, or use a mirror? :confused:

Questions leads to answers, which leads to more questions it seems!

Arctic
March 23rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Lolino - I'm glad if I can be helpful!

If the flaking has increased noticeably lately, then it might be that something is up. Keep an eye on it and hopefully it will get back to normal soon!

He he, I hadn't heared of scalp scrubs either, before joining LHC. Here's a link to a Brown Sugar Scalp Scrub recipe: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55237
The link takes you to the archived forum, I'm not sure if there is a thread going on at the current, active forum. The recipe calls for conditioner and brown sugar, both of which I'm not comfortable at putting on my own scalp. I did try the recipe as is years ago, and it was lovely! But as I said, I have started to do mine mixing fine grain sea salt to my shampoo. The scalp scrubs make the scalp feel really good, so I do recommend trying them! If your scalp is dry, the original recipe might help add moisture to it, the conditioner base in itself is moisturizing but also the sugar as a humectant would be moisturizing.

Hopefully you'll get the scalp treatment/oiling work from now on; they, too, make the scalp feel relaxed and nice, especially if you give yourself a few minutes of scalp massage too (just place your fingertips on scalp, and more the scalp in small circles, placing your finger tips in new places and repeating, trying to cover the whole scalp area little by little. So, in other words, you are not moving your fingertips in circles, but your scalp.).

You know what, if you've gotten rid of obvious splits, then my best advice I can give is to enjoy your hair and not obsess with S&D and splits :D Really! It can become very addictive and obsessive thing for many people. Your hair is not better or worse if there are some possible future splits in there. If you are unsure, there's probably no reason to cut. I think you'll be fine to concentrating on the obvious splits and ends that feel rough, and maybe only doing the sessions occasionally, if you feel they (splits and S&D) start to consume your thoughts (and excessive S&Ding can thin out the length/ends over time, too). I speak from experience, because I did become very obsessive with it, and for that reason I am not S&Ding anymore.

Ofcourse you can S&D as much as you like :D And not everybody develops such a negative obsession as I did. Sure, mirror can be used as help, but it will probably make your back and neck and eyes hurt after a while. I would personally only search splits from hairs long enough for me to comfortably to see without mirror, and concentrate on obvious splits/broken hair ends. The shorter hairs (assuming they are not broken) are young ones, so likely to be relatively healthy.

Brad
March 23rd, 2015, 01:59 PM
I have put together a grouping of my hair over the last couple years. (claimer: I take bad pictures, the hair cutting but the first June 2013 I did, please give me slack) hehe

July 2013.jpgJuly 2014.jpgEarly 2014 1.jpgEarly 2014.jpgFall 2014 1.jpgFall 2014.jpgMarch 2014.jpgMarch 22,2015.jpg

I am having trouble's, I do not know if this will come up.

Brad
March 23rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
I have put together a grouping of my hair over the last couple years. (claimer: I take bad pictures, the hair cutting but the first June 2013 I did, please give me slack) hehe

July 2013.jpgJuly 2014.jpgEarly 2014 1.jpgEarly 2014.jpgFall 2014 1.jpgFall 2014.jpgMarch 2014.jpgMarch 22,2015.jpg

I am having trouble's, I do not know if this will come up.

As you can see it did not work, how do I get them from my folder to here?

Anje
March 23rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
As you can see it did not work, how do I get them from my folder to here?

You're going to want an image host. Flickr, Imgur, Photobucket, etc. Upload those guys and copy the URL for the image (often they'll give you a forum-formatted one).

I've got a link in my signature pointing to more detailed instructions. :)

Arctic
March 23rd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Brad, where is your photo folder? If it's on your own computer, you will need to upload your photos to eiher a photo hosting site (like Photobucket) or into an LHC album, but I think you need more posts to open an LHC album. From photohosting site, you copy the link to your photo and paste it here, inside those [IMG] tags like you did on your post above.

ETA: A-ha, Anje beat me!

Lauraes
March 25th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Is vegetable oil any good for hair? Would it be similar to olive oil? Just curious :D

Anje
March 25th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Is vegetable oil any good for hair? Would it be similar to olive oil? Just curious :D

Most generic "vegetable oil" is soybean oil. Certainly not a bad option, though I prefer others. :) Most of us experiment a bit to find what we like best in our hair.

brickworld13
March 25th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Most generic "vegetable oil" is soybean oil. Certainly not a bad option, though I prefer others. :) Most of us experiment a bit to find what we like best in our hair.

Or corn oil. As I don't keep either in my house I wouldn't use it, but if you have it around anyway you might as well try it.

molljo
March 25th, 2015, 02:02 PM

I tried it once, but the smell was so overpowering that I had to wash it out before I could see if there were any improvements.

Panth
March 25th, 2015, 02:19 PM

Or corn oil. As I don't keep either in my house I wouldn't use it, but if you have it around anyway you might as well try it.

Here, generic "vegetable oil" is usually rapeseed oil.

Anje
March 25th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Must vary by region. Rapeseed oil here is sold as "canola oil" at a bit of a premium.

meteor
March 25th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Yes, nothing wrong with vegetable oil. :agree: Check the ingredients, try it and see if you like the effect. You never know! ;)

Chromis
March 25th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Must vary by region. Rapeseed oil here is sold as "canola oil" at a bit of a premium.

Canola oil always makes me giggle, so as a fellow word nerd I shall share: Canola was named by the Canadian Rapeseed Marketing Board as a more palatable name to sell more of the stuff. The "can" is for "Canada" and "ola" means "oil", so it is really named "Canadian oil". So when people call it canola oil, they are saying Canadian oil-oil :laugh:

I've heard it also as standing for "Can(ada)+o(il)+l(ow)+a(cid)" which also still has oil in the name already :bluebiggr

dellad
March 25th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Canola oil always makes me giggle, so as a fellow word nerd I shall share: Canola was named by the Canadian Rapeseed Marketing Board as a more palatable name to sell more of the stuff. The "can" is for "Canada" and "ola" means "oil", so it is really named "Canadian oil". So when people call it canola oil, they are saying Canadian oil-oil :laugh:

I've heard it also as standing for "Can(ada)+o(il)+l(ow)+a(cid)" which also still has oil in the name already :bluebiggr

So interesting. I never knew this, even though I'm Canadian.

epicrosie
March 27th, 2015, 03:29 AM
I've got another question, this sounds so silly but how can I tell if my ends are dry, I've not had longish hair before and always been neglectful of my hair when it has been longer. My hair is normally kinda frizzy and I normally have little hairs sticking out of my hair everywhere near the roots so how do I know that they are dry/breaking? Or should I almost just assume that they are and treat them nicely regardless?

Federica
April 1st, 2015, 06:25 AM
Epicrosie, I think that those baby strands sticking out from your roots are new growth.
There's a simple way to tell if it's breakage or new growth: look at the end of those shorter strands, if the end is pointy is new growth, if the end is a split end or a white dot it's breakage.

I have a question:
I've just updated my siggy (I didn't have one before), but even if in my profile page I can see it updated, I couldn't see it in my older posts.
Maybe it will start to show now?
I'll use this reply as a test.

ETA: Ok, so it shows my siggy, but not the siggy picture I've successfully uploaded... What do I do to make it visible?

Islandgrrl
April 1st, 2015, 06:31 AM
Epicrosie, I think that those baby strands sticking out from your roots are new growth.
There's a simple way to tell if it's breakage or new growth: look at the end of those shorter strands, if the end is pointy is new growth, if the end is a split end or a white dot it's breakage.

I have a question:
I've just updated my siggy (I didn't have one before), but even if in my profile page I can see it updated, I couldn't see it in my older posts.
Maybe it will start to show now?
I'll use this reply as a test.

ETA: Ok, so it shows my siggy, but not the siggy picture I've successfully uploaded... What do I do to make it visible?

I don't see a picture. :( Now that you mention it, the signature picture I uploaded ages ago isn't showing in my signature either (and it looks like it's there in my settings). I wonder how long that's been going on?

ETA: I figured it out. After you upload your picture, in the area where it shows you the picture is uploaded click on Insert Signature Picture. Just above that, you'll see the box where you can enter text and smilies, and you should see this: . At the very bottom of that box, click on Preview Signature. Make sure your picture shows up in the preview, then click Save Signature. It should work. It just did for me.

Federica
April 1st, 2015, 09:57 AM
Thank you so very much, Islandgrrl!

Lauraes
April 4th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Is it possible to over oil your hair?
Recently, I've gotten myself into a coconut oil obsession. As in, I use a small/medium amount on a daily basis as a leave in/extra protection for my hair, and a large amount as a weekly deep conditioning that I keep in for anywhere between 7-15 hours. I'm just wondering if too much use of the same oil is a bad thing. When I only used coconut oil once a week, my hair would be managable for about 2 days afterwards, then it would transform back into the same tangly, dry mess I started with. Using oil every day seems to help a lot, but I don't want to overdo it. Should I also use olive oil for the weekly deep conditioning so that I'm not treating my hair with the same thing over and over? Speaking of olive oil, I'm really confused about how coconut oil is supposedly the only oil that penetrates hair. If that's true, what's the point of using other oils? :confused:
(If it makes any difference, I have color damaged/heat damaged hair that used to be washed daily with sulfate shampoos, so it definitely needs a lot of TLC.)

gthlvrmx
April 5th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Recently, I've gotten myself into a coconut oil obsession. As in, I use a small/medium amount on a daily basis as a leave in/extra protection for my hair, and a large amount as a weekly deep conditioning that I keep in for anywhere between 7-15 hours. I'm just wondering if too much use of the same oil is a bad thing. When I only used coconut oil once a week, my hair would be managable for about 2 days afterwards, then it would transform back into the same tangly, dry mess I started with. Using oil every day seems to help a lot, but I don't want to overdo it. Should I also use olive oil for the weekly deep conditioning so that I'm not treating my hair with the same thing over and over? Speaking of olive oil, I'm really confused about how coconut oil is supposedly the only oil that penetrates hair. If that's true, what's the point of using other oils? :confused:
(If it makes any difference, I have color damaged/heat damaged hair that used to be washed daily with sulfate shampoos, so it definitely needs a lot of TLC.)

Olive oil and coconut oil are 2 of the oils that can penetrate hair. I am sure there are others, someone made a list before of them on here.

Johannah
April 5th, 2015, 05:11 AM

If it works for you, go for it. That goes for everything about haircare IMO. If your hair has enough of the oil-pampering, it'll let you know so you can find a new routine.

Beezle
April 5th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Is looking at wet hair a better way to see if hair is tapering too much? I don't notice much obvious taper in my very thin hair until it's wet under the shower. Then it looks to be dramatically thinner than the rest of my hair. Which would be the best indicator - wet or dry?

Arctic
April 5th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Beezle (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=65165) All long hair clumps at the ends when wet, even if it wouldn't have lot of taper. It's just a nature of hair. It can fluff out a LOT when it dries, depending on the hairtype. Even 1a hair, even if it's not such dramatic effect.

I would eyeball the way dry hair looks, simply because I usually wear my hair dry :D If you go around with perma-wet hair then gauge wet hair :)

meteor
April 5th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Don't worry about using the same coconut oil for leave-in gradual oiling and as a pre-poo oil. If your hair likes it, go for it. :) If you do happen to over-oil, you'll know it and will likely need to clarify and/or reduce how much oil you use. A potential downside of oiling too much is more lint/dust/dirt sticking to hair or hair getting greasy and needing more frequent washes, but if it doesn't seem to be a problem - then I'd just oil away. :)

Coconut is probably not the only oil that can penetrate hair, but it's the one that's been scientifically proven to do so. (Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094) It's the short- and medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) that penetrate hair, and since coconut oil is quite high in penetrating MCFA, lauric acid (a 12-carbon lipid which is small enough to get past the cuticles of your hair), it is known as a popular "hair oil". Also, it has polarity which gives the oil an attraction to the keratin in hair, binding to it and somewhat protecting it during normal wear & tear, washing, bleach, etc. Other oils with similar fatty acid composition should somewhat penetrate hair, too. By the way, the more hair is damaged/porous (e.g. presence of chips in the hair cuticle), the more stuff can penetrate that hair, including with larger molecules.

However, if an oil doesn't penetrate hair (e.g. mineral oil), it doesn't mean at all that it's useless in hair care. Coating/sealing oils have a great coating ability, they create a hydrophobic film on hair that repels water a little bit (helping against humidity/frizz problems) and prevents fast evaporation of water from hair - i.e. occlusion. This is great for increasing hair elasticity and slip for detangling, as well as for mild protective action.

More on oils that penetrate vs. coat hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

Effect of oil films on moisture vapor absorption on human hair: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17520153

Investigation of penetration abilities of various oils into human hair fibers: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16258695

Auni
April 6th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Awesome info in all those links there, thank's Meteor!