PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a braid up, my hair just falls out.

luztrella
December 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
I was wondering if you all had any ideas to keep my braids in place, it all just falls right out and ends up on top of the band. I did do a search but I wasn't able to find anything.

Saldana
December 2nd, 2014, 08:03 PM
We have a similar hairtype (at least, before I moved to the PNW, where my hair is developing more wave and texture). My hair used to slither out of just about any kind of braid or updo.

I think when you have more length, you'll find it easier. But until then, you might try a tiny bit of oil on the length to help your hair 'stick' together. Put your braids in, band them tightly at the end, and then smooth the braid with aloe vera gel. Then don't touch the braid. Your hair will probably still slide out, but it might stay a bit longer. Oh! - you could also try doing your braiding when your hair is still damp or even wet.

meteor
December 2nd, 2014, 08:11 PM
Hm, hair that is 1a/F is typically quite slippery. I second the oiling tip: it seems to add a bit of texture and hold. Or you could try updos on slightly dirty hair.
Also, check out the Masara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k and the mini-Masara if your hair is shorter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj5QW8uzUXU
Simplified Elling woman braided bun is also a "grippy" braided style that might work for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_biroGTJ7A also this simple style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9W-kbWPSfQ

ETA: if your hair is too short for the styles above, how about crown braiding, French/Dutch braiding as the base (it can add grip to create sturdier updos) and adding spin pins to your updos?

luztrella
December 2nd, 2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the great tips and videos. My hair is about two and one half times as long as it shows in my profile photo (it hits an inch or two below my bra strap in back when down). Now I want to go and give it a go! I think I will add some oil to the mid/ends and see if that helps. Those look great and I sure hope they work. I have a couple of spin pins I've never used so maybe those will help too.

Any recommendations for oil that smells good and is good for hair? I don't think I want to smell like olive oil. LOL

cat11
December 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Try a good amount of dry shampoo on the hair before you braid for texture and grip ;) I definately think it provides stick and some people use it for a lot of little hair fixes.

also when I read one of the above tips on aloe vera gel, it made me think that putting aloe vera on the length would help. I dont have slippery hair at all but I find aloe vera makes my hair hold together better and gives it stronger body. People also use it as a loose gel. I think it would be worth a try :)

Good luck!

edit: good oils are coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and kukui oil... theres a lot more too I cant think of. I personally use coconut oil for heavier oilings (or a mix oil I have) but kukui oil for daily oiling because it's lighter and wont weigh down fine hair easily. It also smells so good. Coconut oil is scentless.

Madora
December 2nd, 2014, 09:58 PM
I was wondering if you all had any ideas to keep my braids in place, it all just falls right out and ends up on top of the band. I did do a search but I wasn't able to find anything.

What kind of braid were you doing when it fell out?

If you have trouble with ultra fine hair being too slippery, then try dampening it with a bit of water (a spray bottle helps a lot)!
If you must use oil, then mineral oil is very lightweight (use only 2 drops. Do not apply the drops directly from the bottle to your hair. Instead, put 2 drops in a small receptacle (an old pill cap is great), then take a baby swab, moosh it around in the oil so that it is thoroughly coated, then apply the swab all over your hands. Then run your hands through all your hair 5 or 6 times until the oil sheen on your hands is almost gone.

If you do use MO, be sure to get the type that contains ONLY the mo plus a fragrance. Additives make MO less effective.

MO washes out easily in your next shampoo, leaves no after scent, helps tame frizzies, is a great moisturizer and detangler. Be sure and only use two drops!

MO works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can use it on damp (not wet) hair also.

Here's a hairstyle that you might like to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Another way of achieving a fake crown braid is via inversion braiding..how to here:

Preliminaries:
1 Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
2 Detangle hair thoroughly with wide tooth comb
3 Make sure hair is straight and has no bumps from back to front
Begin to braid - (head slightly lowered)
1 Take a small section of hair from just in front of the right ear and about 2 inches IN from the front of your head. You want to preserve a small band of hair in the front of the actual lace braid.
2 Divide your hair in 3 sections. Check for tangles!
3 Make ONE complete crossover - that is: right strands over CENTER strands, HOLD, RAKE)
then LEFT strands over center strands, HOLD, RAKE
4 Right strands over CENTER strands, HOLD, RAKE
5 Carve a small section of hair down your head (back to front). You are working on hair that is to your LEFT SIDE. Add that section you just carved to the CENTER SECTION of the braid you just started. Pinch the CENTER section to hold in place, RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
6 Take RIGHT section and bring it over CENTER SECTION. PINCH center section to hold in place,
RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
7 CARVE a small section of hair down your head. You are working on hair that is to your LEFT side. Add the section you just carved to the CENTER SECTION of the braid you are working on. PINCH CENTER SECTION, RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
8 Take RIGHT SECTION and bring it over CENTER SECTION. PINCH center section to hold in place, RAKE all strands to keep them separate.
Continue working in this way, always ADDING hair from your LEFT to the Center Section, until you reach just in front of your left ear. Stop lace braiding.
FINISHING the lace braid in front - stop lace braiding when you reach the top of your other ear.
Gather all your hair in one hand, gently detangle and then divide hair in 3 sections. Dutch braid the remaining hair. The first crossover should be snug, to help avoid any saging where the braid technique changes from lace braiding to regular dutch/english braiding.
Braid to end. Fasten with hair friendly elastic.
Take the braid and direct it around the back of your head and up to where you started the lace braiding. Tuck the tassle under the lace braiding section.
Secure with crimped hairpins! Voila! You have created the fake lace crown braid (fake, because only the FRONT is a lace crown braid. The rest is a single Dutch/English braid.
** TIPS ** Hold your hands/elbows UP while braiding! You are trying to lift your hair up, ever so slightly. Braid a little loosely! The center section should be pulled ever so slightly more than the other 2 strands. Don't pull hard!
Keep your fingers IN your hair, close to the scalp, while you are braiding.
Once you reach the middle of your forehead area, begin to turn your head slightly to the RIGHT and angle the braid towards the back of your head.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg.html)

luztrella
December 3rd, 2014, 12:42 AM
Thank you Madora for the great instructions. I will have to practice that one, I tried it and I was amazed at how long my braid turned out and the volume I got on top around my face. I don't have long enough hair to wrap my entire crown though, I think if I work with it some I might be able to find a way to make it work though. I had tried a similar french braid around the hairline as shown in the video you referenced, I like volume around my face but I think I may just have to put it in tighter to get it to stay. Mostly I french braid my hair. I tried the Masara braid which I think might work. I love all of the videos on youtube, I could watch them for hours I think. LOL

Madora
December 3rd, 2014, 07:38 AM
Thank you Madora for the great instructions. I will have to practice that one, I tried it and I was amazed at how long my braid turned out and the volume I got on top around my face. I don't have long enough hair to wrap my entire crown though, I think if I work with it some I might be able to find a way to make it work though. I had tried a similar french braid around the hairline as shown in the video you referenced, I like volume around my face but I think I may just have to put it in tighter to get it to stay. Mostly I french braid my hair. I tried the Masara braid which I think might work. I love all of the videos on youtube, I could watch them for hours I think. LOL

Glad you liked it, luztrella. That inversion braiding technique is very handy in that you can still have your crown braid in front, and have a little bit of face framing volume too. It just depends on how much space you leave between your scalp and the point where you begin the braiding. If I want a medium bit of "pouf" in front, I start my braiding about 2 to 3 inches from the scalp. It's a bit tricky...finding just the right placement..but once you understand where to begin braiding, everything more or less falls into place. Happy hair styling!