PDA

View Full Version : DEVA CUT - Good technique or bad? Beauty school thinks it is bad.

pinchbeck
December 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
Yesterday I was calling around to find a Deva Curl stylist to cut my child's shoulder length hair. I watched some videos and read reviews but didn't find much information. When I saw a video of a stylist taking each curl off of her client and snipping a piece off I wondered if there was a pattern being followed to achieve a certain look or some kind of symmetry.

I called a beauty school to find out if they used this technique and was told they had never heard of it. They did say that curly hair should never be held taught when cutting which I already knew even though every stylist has cut my child's hair this way. The lady on the phone googled Deva Cut and said their is no rhyme or reason to this practice and she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Now I am confused. Is a Deva Cut a good technique or bad? Do curls not sorta fall differently from wash to wash? I don't have curly hair as mine is wavy underneath with a straight canopy.

A photo of my son's hair is below. Sorry for the one image being so big (please do tell how to make it smaller). I don't know if my child's hair type would benefit from a Deva Cut or if we should to continue to layer it like a straight hair. It doesn't look bad, but enhancing what is there would be good...if that is even possible.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14608&d=1417564493

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14607&d=1417563247

Kina
December 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
I was trained as a cosmetologist. When I trained, there was NOTHING about how to treat curly hair. My sister cuts her hair in the deva curl method and maintains a gentle U shape.

The cut is more than just curls, it also depends on the curl pattern, hair texture and what the person wants as a style. You may want to google curly girl stylists to see if there are any in your area, but call ahead to confirm. There is one listed here who's clients tell me that HATES curly hair, but trained in the method (?) one of my friends who goes to him has 3b - 3c hair, he immediately straightens her hair for the cut and then to style it even though she doesn't wear it that way outside of her salon visits.

jeanniet
December 2nd, 2014, 06:14 PM
A proper Deva cut is amazing. Once I found a good stylist who really knew the technique, I was set. Curls pop, easier to style, looks better at its worst than it ever looked at its best. The downsize is that hemline may be uneven if straightened, which of course mly matters if you do straighten. Not cheap, but keeps its shape longer than a regular cut. Finding a good stylst can be difficult, but I definitely recommend the cut.

Hootenanny
December 2nd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Pinchbeck, the beauty school that you called is correct about one thing: curly hair should not be held taut while cutting. However, this has no bearing on whether Deva cuts are good or bad, since the Deva cutting method definitely does not stretch curls during the cut.

What happens during a Deva cut is: (1) your hair is washed and dried to its fully curly state (or you go in having already done this yourself), (2) the hair is cut while dry and curly, one curl at a time, with the curls unstretched/held loosely, into the length/style/shape you want, (3) the hair is again washed and dried to its naturally curly state, and (4) the stylist checks to make sure that the cut still looks good, and makes any necessary adjustments.

Whether the Deva method is good or bad depends on whether you ever straighten the hair, as jeanniet says. If you straighten your son's hair after a Deva cut, the hemline may look uneven. If you don't plan on straightening his hair, then this isn't a concern, and I think you will be quite pleased with the results.

Overall, it sounds like people where you live are not familiar with curly hair, or with this style of cutting, so I would second Kina's recommendation that you call in advance and make sure you find someone with experience in this method of cutting. You can probably also search the Deva website for recommended stylists. Good luck! :)

ETA: I had a number of Deva cuts before I stopped cutting altogether.

molljo
December 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM
The Naturally Curly site has a section devoted to curl-friendly stylists and salons where you can search by city http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons/

jeanniet
December 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Interesting, Hootenanny, I've never heard of anyone going in and having their hair washed prior to cutting at the salon, although I'll take your word for it that it sometimes happens. Usually they just want you in with clean hair without products (or minimal).

I did want to add that a Deva cut, by nature, means layering at least to some extent. How much depends on what you want. I have my hair heavily layered because right now I'm not growing it out and I want as much lift at the crown as possible. Without heavy layering, the weight of my hair pulls the crown flat. I also like fuller, wilder hair. I think your son's hair might get more root curl with a Deva-type cut.

If you can, find a stylist who mostly does curly cuts. My stylist would prefer to do only curly hair, but has a few longtime clients who still want blows out and such. What you want is someone who really loves cutting curly hair. Needless to say, avoid anyone who thinks curly hair has to be cut straight, or wants to straighten afterward. The Deva website has a list of stylists who have been trained in the method, but it's somewhat hit or miss. My first stylist, who was OK at first and then pretty much sucked, is on the list and shouldn't be. I don't think my current stylist, who is an artist with scissors, is on the list. I found her through Yelp reviews and then went in and had a consult first. She also allows clients to do cut-only after the first visit, which saves about $20. I prefer to wash and style myself, so it works out great. And--amazingly--she doesn't push Deva products. I use cheap conditioner and gel, because that's what works best, and she said to keep on using them because my hair looks great. I love my stylist. I need a shaping soon--need to make an appointment!

pinchbeck
December 3rd, 2014, 11:07 AM
There is a Deva Curl stlylist in a neighbouring town. I like the idea of 'root curl', but do want to keep the length of my son's hair since I cut off 2" two months ago due to chlorine damage from swimming everyday. Is it possible to keep the length and enhance his root curl at the same time? Does root curl suit everyone's face shape or does it make a person's face look longer?

I never straighten my son's hair or my own so having an 'even hemline' wouldn't matter but a choppy look would. There aren't enough videos on Deva Cuts to watch. I'd like to see one from start to finish. So far everyone who has replied has had positive things to say about this technique.

Would it be best to let my son's hair grow a wee bit longer before taking the Deva Cut plunge? I have a feeling his hair is too short at the moment.

As far as the Deva Curl products go, they contain quats and the way this ingredient feels in the hair isn't favourable to me. Quats build up in the hair so we won't be purchasing anything from the Deva Curl line.

share801
December 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
Interesting, Hootenanny, I've never heard of anyone going in and having their hair washed prior to cutting at the salon, although I'll take your word for it that it sometimes happens. Usually they just want you in with clean hair without products (or minimal).

I have never been to a salon that did not wash hair prior to cutting it.

meteor
December 3rd, 2014, 01:53 PM

I think it's a curly vs. straight(ish) hair distinction. If you go to salons that cater to mostly straight hair and your hair is on the straight(ish) side, they tend to push for washing hair in salon and also stretch hair down as they cut, in order to make a very straight cut. But with curly hair, this approach doesn't work at all.
Now that I know that hair looks good when cut on dry, I insist on that. :)

Hootenanny
December 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
As far as the Deva Curl products go, they contain quats and the way this ingredient feels in the hair isn't favourable to me. Quats build up in the hair so we won't be purchasing anything from the Deva Curl line.

Agree 100%. Polyquats are the absolute worst in my hair, and the build-up is atrocious. I don't understand why so many of the Deva products are loaded with them. The only things in the Deva line I use are the B'Leave-In and sometimes their spray gel when I want some protein (although not sprayed; I pour it into my hand). I used to use their Angell gel, but they reformulated it to include - guess what?! - polyquats. *sigh*

jeanniet
December 3rd, 2014, 04:22 PM

Curly hair should be cut dry, so washing beforehand is not necessary--and most people want their hair styled after anyway. I wouldn't want my hair washed/dried, cut, then washed/styled.

Polyquats don't bother my hair terribly, but I don't like the Deva products at all, which is why I get the cut only and then wash and style myself.

jeanniet
December 3rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
There is a Deva Curl stlylist in a neighbouring town. I like the idea of 'root curl', but do want to keep the length of my son's hair since I cut off 2" two months ago due to chlorine damage from swimming everyday. Is it possible to keep the length and enhance his root curl at the same time? Does root curl suit everyone's face shape or does it make a person's face look longer?

I never straighten my son's hair or my own so having an 'even hemline' wouldn't matter but a choppy look would. There aren't enough videos on Deva Cuts to watch. I'd like to see one from start to finish. So far everyone who has replied has had positive things to say about this technique.

Would it be best to let my son's hair grow a wee bit longer before taking the Deva Cut plunge? I have a feeling his hair is too short at the moment.

He could maintain most of his length, sure, but there would need to be some layering for more root curl. I can't tell for sure if his hair is layered now or not. It's very possible a good stylist could layer minimally and still give some lift, depending on how heavy his hair is.

pinchbeck
December 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
He could maintain most of his length, sure, but there would need to be some layering for more root curl. I can't tell for sure if his hair is layered now or not. It's very possible a good stylist could layer minimally and still give some lift, depending on how heavy his hair is.

His hair is layered. When it isn't layered it puffs out and he looks like a triangle. Maybe the interior of his hair could be shaped, but not the perimeter. But again I don't want it to look too short because we've already cut enough length off due to chlorine damage (we didn't clarify until it was too late).

jeanniet
December 3rd, 2014, 11:34 PM
I would see about doing a consult first. Talk to the stylist, see how you feel about it, and go from there. Don't go ahead if you're not comfotable.

vega
December 4th, 2014, 04:05 AM
His hair is layered. When it isn't layered it puffs out and he looks like a triangle. Maybe the interior of his hair could be shaped, but not the perimeter. But again I don't want it to look too short because we've already cut enough length off due to chlorine damage (we didn't clarify until it was too late).
Hi pinchbeck I have really curly hair and when I trim I do it myself by doing feyes method ,I'm so happy with the results , I gave up on stylists as they never understood my curly hair, I would ask for a trim and would walk out with super short hair , have a look at feyes method and this way you get to control ho much gets taken off goodluck

Kina
December 4th, 2014, 04:37 AM
The last time I allowed a traditional stylist to cut my hair I went from full bcl to bsl dry. If I tried to wear it curly it was shoulder length. I cried for days. I won't let anyone who doesn't understand shrinkage anywhere near my hair.

How does your son want his hair? Does he want root lift? Does He Always wear It loose? If he gets layers cut in, he might have trouble putting it up.

pinchbeck
December 6th, 2014, 12:49 PM
The last time I allowed a traditional stylist to cut my hair I went from full bcl to bsl dry. If I tried to wear it curly it was shoulder length. I cried for days. I won't let anyone who doesn't understand shrinkage anywhere near my hair.

How does your son want his hair? Does he want root lift? Does He Always wear It loose? If he gets layers cut in, he might have trouble putting it up.

I know what "bsl" is, but not "bcl". Walking out of a salon with an outcome not wanted is disappointing, frustrating, and upsetting. I've had stylists cut my hair on an angle where I had to have it corrected which meant loosing more length and I overheard the one stylist say, "Be careful...she's is really picky". Not sure if that was derogatory or not.

My son wears his hair down and I am not sure if root lift would be more attractive on him. If we give him that and decide we don't like it, we'll have to wait months for it to go back to the was was. In the meantime we will probably go with a consult just to see what the deva stylist's opinion is.

Kina
December 6th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I know what "bsl" is, but not "bcl". Walking out of a salon with an outcome not wanted is disappointing, frustrating, and upsetting. I've had stylists cut my hair on an angle where I had to have it corrected which meant loosing more length and I overheard the one stylist say, "Be careful...she's is really picky". Not sure if that was derogatory or not.

My son wears his hair down and I am not sure if root lift would be more attractive on him. If we give him that and decide we don't like it, we'll have to wait months for it to go back to the was was. In the meantime we will probably go with a consult just to see what the deva stylist's opinion is.

bcl = butt crack length. good luck!