PDA

View Full Version : ACV Rinse Info.

Sparklylady82
December 2nd, 2014, 12:02 AM
Can someone explain what an ACV rinse is for? I am noticing people doing this but I am not sure why? There are probably threads on it but I couldn't find the information! Thank you in advance.

Nadine <3
December 2nd, 2014, 12:06 AM
ACV helps close the cuticle so it makes hair really soft and shiny. It also removes some build up from hard water, and that's why I use it. We have really hard water here, and without a vinegar rinse after I wash my hair will eventually get tangly, dry feeling, and dull. Hope this helped!

Johannah
December 2nd, 2014, 01:19 AM
What Nadine says, though it doesn't remove build-up like a clarifying shampoo off course. Also, it'll bring back the ph balance after using shampoo.

Entangled
December 2nd, 2014, 05:31 AM
Nadine and Johannah got it right. One important thing: it's a diluted rinse, not straight vinegar. Also, ACV can redden or darken light hair with repeated uses, so many lighter-haired folk use white vinegar. I use it because it's cheaper. I love acid rinses, because they make my hair soft and shiny.

fiğrildi
December 2nd, 2014, 05:57 AM
ACV rinses can also help with frizz, leaving hair softer and shiny (and less prone to tangles), as others said above :wink:

Baby_doll
December 2nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
I use them because I'm water only and after a few months my hair gets a bit stringy looking, so I dilute distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray on my roots it the shower, then rinse really good

Bananfot
December 2nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
It also can help with seboerreic eczema. I think ACV is good too use because the water in the spring is usually filled with cemicals, fluorid,clorine and so on. And that can mess up the hair ph balance.

Chromis
December 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Most of us who do ACV and other acidic rinses like citric acid have hard water. It's easy to get your water tested (pool supply stores, aquarium stores, and places that sell water softeners are good bets!), but most of us with hard water can also see white deposits on on our taps, tea kettles, showerheads etc.

Sparklylady82
December 2nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Very interesting! I have well water where I live, I wonder if that is hard water? (off to look for the white deposits! haha)

So, you use it diluted after shampoo? Do you condition after or before the rinse? Also, sometimes I co-wash. Does it work well then?

Nadine <3
December 2nd, 2014, 10:54 AM
Very interesting! I have well water where I live, I wonder if that is hard water? (off to look for the white deposits! haha)

So, you use it diluted after shampoo? Do you condition after or before the rinse? Also, sometimes I co-wash. Does it work well then?

I always do mine last. I actually use bottled water for mine, not necessary, but I love it. I have a 16 oz empty body wash bottle that I fill with a sploosh (that's my literal measuring system haha) bottled water, and then I add some EO's for some extra scalp benefits. I slowly squeeze this onto my head, making sure it's saturating everything and I leave it on with no rinsing. I think most people just take a cup with a bit of vinegar into the shower with them and then fill the cup up the rest of the way with shower water, but I like my method. The bottle lasts for about 4-5 hair washes so I can just leave it in there and don't have to worry about it.

I did try doing my rinse after shampoo, then conditioning afterwards but I found I didn't like it and it didn't have the same affects. I think you could use it with CO washing, or at least try it...it won't do anything bad.

Anje
December 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
It's often useful on grumpy scalps, too. Scalps like to be at a slightly acidic pH, and sometimes a quick dilute vinegar rinse is all it takes to encourage them to behave.

I'm in the ranks of people who use them because I have really hard water. Which is typically a regional thing, not a city/well water thing (my hometown in WI softened their hard water on a municipal level, but I don't believe that's typical outside that area and my current town doesn't).

Most people who use a soap-based shampoo bar find that they benefit a lot from a vinegar rinse, especially if they have hard water. Soap + hard water = soap scum, and dilute vinegar is sufficient to wash this away from hair. It's not bad on the bathtub, either!

MissMoppet
December 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I have been experimenting with this myself. I tried washing my hair, doing an AC rinse and then putting on conditioner, but my scalp felt weird. (Previously I tried the backing soda shampoo, then AC vinegar rinse, but it dried out my hair.) I then held my hair up and poured my AC rinse just on my scalp at the roots, and it made my scalp feel fantastic. I really like this, as it's helped me stretch out my time between washes now drastically. I am going to try doing the AC rinse after the conditioner though, to see if this works even better!

MissMoppet
December 3rd, 2014, 12:46 PM
Nadine and Johannah got it right. One important thing: it's a diluted rinse, not straight vinegar. Also, ACV can redden or darken light hair with repeated uses, so many lighter-haired folk use white vinegar. I use it because it's cheaper. I love acid rinses, because they make my hair soft and shiny.

I did not know that AC vinegar can redden or darken hair. If that is why people might turn to white vinegar, then I think I need to change. I have dark brown hair, and I like it as is. Why does everyone not use the white vinegar? I am just learning, so I am curious.

meteor
December 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
I did not know that AC vinegar can redden or darken hair. If that is why people might turn to white vinegar, then I think I need to change. I have dark brown hair, and I like it as is. Why does everyone not use the white vinegar? I am just learning, so I am curious.
Good question... Could be because ACV is widely loved for its health properties so many people have it in their pantry anyway - and they think it should work topically too? I'm one of those people that gets a reddish tint from ACV, so I only use white vinegar now, but I don't really see a difference, to be honest.

I'm not sure that vinegar rinses are that important, if your water isn't hard. I guess if you put something alkaline (soap/shampoo bar, baking soda, ...) on your scalp/hair first, then an acidic rinse is quite useful to restore pH and remove soap scum. But a much better option would be to avoid putting anything alkaline on your hair/scalp in the first place!
As for fungal issues, ACV can help a bit, but a medicated shampoo will probably be more effective.

I also wanted to post some links to Natural Haven Bloom's experiments on washing hair with ACV - and she put some really interesting photos there:
Hair washed in ACV under microscope (1) (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9nxeLuhSXL0/U7Quo42E-zI/AAAAAAAABd0/AbZC3J0YFJ8/s1600/acv_natural_hair.jpg)
Hair washed in ACV for 10 minutes under microscope (2) (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D5fvSPLHVEU/U7Quo9WjlGI/AAAAAAAABd4/IwZ9Yrj_zGg/s1600/acv_natural_hair_2.jpg)
Hair washed in ACV (3) (https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tlZf5PEFsUQ/VGKUbLJQrUI/AAAAAAAABmI/Y-6BAzMHa6Q/s1600/acv_caucasian_hair.jpg)
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/07/can-you-wash-your-hair-with-baking-soda.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2014/11/caucasian-hair-cleansing-shikakai.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/05/apple-cider-vinegar-good-or-not.html

Baby_doll
December 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
I forgot to add that hen I do my vinegar rinses afterthought ward I spray a few squirts on my fingers and run it through on my scalp, the way I see it when I rinse the vinegar out with hard water it's just starting te build up anew right then, so I put a tiny bit on my scalp after the rinse so that it's clear til my next none vinegar rinse.

MeAndTheMaz
December 3rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
You can do the ACV rinse as the final step. No need to rinse that out after. The smell goes completely away.

Like Nadine <3, I have a squirt bottle (in my case a 20oz mustard bottle), and just leave it in the shower. It lasts a few uses, and doubles as a cold rinse.

On a side note, I took some of my water to work (pool shop) and tested it for hardness. I came up 160ppm, which is on the high side of hard water. Then I tested some after Brita-ing it, and it came out at 80ppm. . .ya know. . .FWIW.

Entangled
December 4th, 2014, 06:51 AM

I'm not sure why apple cider vinegar is the preferred choice; I do know that it only significantly darkens light hair. People have experienced reddening, which could be good or bad depending on what color you like. If you have dark hair, it's not as much of a problem. Again, white vinegar is much cheaper, so it's my choice. ACV smells yummier to me, though!

alabaster
December 4th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I think I am going to have to start doing this. I have sort of an angry scalp that gets itchy and i get pimples here and there... maybe this will help

Zebra Fish
December 4th, 2014, 08:18 AM
My scalp isn't too fond of ACV, so I use it here and there, but my length loves it :) Sometimes I use it only on length coz of that.

sjlaurence
December 17th, 2014, 01:44 AM
...One important thing: it's a diluted rinse, not straight vinegar...

Please could you tell me how diluted it should be?