PDA

View Full Version : Look at this crazy braided hairstyle!

Laurenji
December 1st, 2014, 08:35 PM
So, I was messing around with braids today, and taking my inspiration from some of those faux Mohawks, and I came up with this really odd hairstyle! Sorry the pics are so bad, all I have is my iPad because my camera is in my baby's room and he's sleeping...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15740322660_f4b790ff01.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/15925648171_f80cea6cff.jpg

Basically I parted it like a mowhawk, then did a French braid in the center part and Dutch braids on each of the sides. Then I tucked the French braid all the way up (the tassel is basically all the way at the front of my head), which gave it volume and hid the length. There were several things that I could have done with the little Dutch braids, but ultimately I rolled them up and pinned them under the back of the French braid as well.

Arete
December 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
THat is so fun! Is the fauxhawk a french braid over a smaller french braid?

Laurenji
December 1st, 2014, 08:39 PM
THat is so fun! Is the fauxhawk a french braid over a smaller french braid?

Sorry! My tablet posted and I had to go back and edit the post. The fauxhawk is a French braid, the smaller ones are Dutch braids (for less volume)

allycat
December 1st, 2014, 08:53 PM
I love it!

Chocowalnut
December 1st, 2014, 08:55 PM
That is awesome lol I want to try it

truepeacenik
December 1st, 2014, 09:11 PM
Very nice. How to hide hair from grabby babies, too.

meteor
December 1st, 2014, 09:52 PM
That looks so damn cool and unique! :) I wish I were better at braiding so I could try this.

Johannah
December 2nd, 2014, 02:15 AM
That looks amazing. Wow!

embee
December 2nd, 2014, 05:16 AM
Very cool. :) I wish I had enough thickness to even try this.

allierat
December 2nd, 2014, 05:50 AM
Looks awesome!

browneyedsusan
December 2nd, 2014, 06:26 AM
Very cool! :thumbsup:

I like the idea of threading the tail back under the French braid to pop it up more. :)

Maria12
December 2nd, 2014, 06:39 AM
Awesome and fun!

Begemot
December 2nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
That is so cool! I hope you will mess around and experiment with your hair more often and share the results with us again :D

Laurenji
December 2nd, 2014, 07:05 AM
That is awesome lol I want to try it

You should! You should do it and post the pictures here for comparison. :)

Very nice. How to hide hair from grabby babies, too.

Definitely. He LOVES to play with my hair, even my little tiny wispies, so no hairstyle is completely safe. This one was pretty good, though.

That looks so damn cool and unique! :) I wish I were better at braiding so I could try this.

Very cool. :) I wish I had enough thickness to even try this.

Looks awesome!

Thanks guys!

Very cool! :thumbsup:

I like the idea of threading the tail back under the French braid to pop it up more. :)

Mostly I was trying to find a way to hide the tail, so I tucked it under like you would for a tucked French braid. The added volume was a bonus. :)

That is so cool! I hope you will mess around and experiment with your hair more often and share the results with us again :D

We'll see! I don't often get a lot of hair inspiration. I mostly just wear the same bun every day. . .

proo
December 2nd, 2014, 08:44 AM
I do this too,
but french braid the opposite way, from nape to forehead,
so the braid ends up coming out the front.
I then topsytail the braid underneath the mohawk,
so it ends up underneath close to the nape.
The sides are rope-braided back to the nape
then topsytailed back and forth,
woven side to side on the mohawk toward the forehead.
I prefer this because it puts the volume at the front,
and it's pinless, holds like a rock.

browneyedsusan
December 3rd, 2014, 05:46 AM
I do this too,

Sounds neat! Share a picture?

MissMoppet
December 3rd, 2014, 12:33 PM
So, I was messing around with braids today, and taking my inspiration from some of those faux Mohawks, and I came up with this really odd hairstyle! Sorry the pics are so bad, all I have is my iPad because my camera is in my baby's room and he's sleeping...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7574/15740322660_f4b790ff01.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/15925648171_f80cea6cff.jpg

Basically I parted it like a mowhawk, then did a French braid in the center part and Dutch braids on each of the sides. Then I tucked the French braid all the way up (the tassel is basically all the way at the front of my head), which gave it volume and hid the length. There were several things that I could have done with the little Dutch braids, but ultimately I rolled them up and pinned them under the back of the French braid as well.

Cool!!! I love the fau mohawk look. I tried something like this , except with a dutch braid on the top, and it did not look as cool as this. I have to try this. My hair is not long enough to tuck the rest of the braid back under the hair. I wonder if it would work if I pull the braid out to plump it up a bit. Anyway, thanks for sharing! :)

Laurenji
December 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
I do this too,

OOOO. I will have to try that next. Although I am not quite sure what you mean about topsytailing the sides back and forth & weaving them side to side. Pictures pretty please?

Cool!!! I love the fau mohawk look. I tried something like this , except with a dutch braid on the top, and it did not look as cool as this. I have to try this. My hair is not long enough to tuck the rest of the braid back under the hair. I wonder if it would work if I pull the braid out to plump it up a bit. Anyway, thanks for sharing! :)

The Dutch braid doesn't work as well as the center braid because since you pull the hair under, it pulls the hair down flat & gets rid of all the volume. The braid is on the outside and the hair is underneath. It works really well if you need a really defined-looking braid, or if you're trying to make your hair flat except for the braid part. With a French braid, the added hair is on the outside and the braid is on the inside, so it makes a more subtle-looking braid, but it has more volume. Plus it's much easier to tuck in ends, because it basically creates little "arches" of hair. Like a mini hair-cathedral.

How short is your hair? If it's long enough to put a ponytail holder at the nape of your neck, it should be long enough to tuck under, although you may need to use more pins to hold it in there. I was doing tucked French braids when I was at shoulder length. (You may have to do something else with the sides though.)

MsPharaohMoan
December 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM
Wow! I love doing one side in a dutch braid - it looks like a faux side cut. But this takes that to a whole new level!

Dragon Faery
December 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM
This is cool! I look weird with lots of volume on top, but you rock that look! Thanks for sharing!

Fericera
December 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM
That's so cool! I don't think my hair is long enough yet, but I'm going to give it a try.

Laurenji
December 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM
That's so cool! I don't think my hair is long enough yet, but I'm going to give it a try.

If you do, you should post a picture! I love seeing other people's attempts at things. :)

spidermom
December 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!