PDA

View Full Version : scalp massage?

Baby_doll
December 1st, 2014, 02:54 PM
ive been doing scalp massages for some time, and it hasn't really had any effect on my hair, mainly because i do them sporadically, but i bought one of those spider looking scalp massagers because if i see it in my room im likely to do it more. i was wondering who has seen any hair improvement with scalp massage, and how long should it be done for, since i can get all my head at once now because of the spider, i was curious if anything bad could happen if i do it too much, and if anyone else uses the spider things with any effect?

meteor
December 1st, 2014, 04:01 PM
They look like fun, but I've never used a "spider" massager, because I just assumed that I can get a lot better control with my own fingers.

I am generally a big fan of scalp massages, but I'm way too lazy to keep them up. I did get slightly faster growth and generally healthier feeling scalp, probably due to increased blood circulation or dislodging dead cells and dirt with a massage... I don't know for sure. I think scalp massages are just a nice relaxing spa-like experience, but completely unnecessary for great hair.

And I don't think you can easily overdo it: you'd literally get tired arms or sore scalp or a headache before you could do any damage, I think. But some people can't handle seeing shed hair, and scalp massages can make hair fall out that was going to fall out anyway. Overall, your weekly shedding should not increase.

If there is something I'd caution against, that would be using products during scalp massage with any potentially irritating ingredients like citrus essential oils (or practically any undiluted EOs) and scrubbing with nails or anything rough and abrasive (like salt crystals, any rough scrubs...).

Madora
December 1st, 2014, 04:03 PM
Personally, that "spider" thingie gives me the creeps. I much prefer my own fingertips which give much more response than a metal "thingie".

I don't massage every day. I do it sporadically. However, I do brush in the upside down position every day, and I believe my scalp gets just as good a workout with that, as it does with digital manipulation.

As with any implement, if you use it too much, expect some damage. Better to use is as recommended by the manufacturer (assuming the manufacturer knows what they're talking about!)

And I would suspect you would see a change in your hair with daily scalp massage...but done over a period of at least 7 months. Just doing it a few times over a month is not going to do much of anything. You have to work at it.

Catatafish
December 1st, 2014, 04:22 PM
Baby_doll
What is the type of scalp massager that you have? I would like to get one.

I like to use my tangle teaser to massage my scalp, but often I'm lazy and don't want to bother de-tangling my hair before I do it.

I have no idea if it would improve the health of your hair/scalp. The only way to find out for sure would be to do an experiment on several sets of identical twins that are kept in the exact same conditions! But if you like it, and it isn't obviously damaging, why not I say :)

MsPharaohMoan
December 1st, 2014, 05:02 PM
BBBing my hairline has given me baby hairs that grow like crazy! It's kind of funny.

Catatafish
December 1st, 2014, 06:26 PM
BBBing my hairline has given me baby hairs that grow like crazy! It's kind of funny.

Do you think that they are new hairs? I would be concerned that the BBBing was giving me breakage, or pulling out hairs that weren't ready if that started happening to me...

I don't mean to alarm you by the way, it is just that I have been thinking about buying a BBB and I'm trying to tell if it is for me. And also suss out how other people get on with it.

Baby_doll
December 1st, 2014, 07:49 PM
Catatafish, there isn't a brand or anything to mine, it just says "scalp massager" and has a picture of a girl using it. I heard about it awhile back and they said it was at dollar tree but when I looked at the one down the street it wasn't there, I came across mine on blackfriday at old navy in the checkout line, it was originally 4$ but I got mine for 2$, someone on here was saying they found there's at bed bath and beyond I'm not sur the pric there though

Baby_doll
December 1st, 2014, 07:51 PM
Mine looks like a spider and has 8-10 metal "legs" and a wooden handle. It's pretty good. The first few times I used it it was super tickly on the back of my neck

Catatafish
December 1st, 2014, 07:54 PM
Mine looks like a spider and has 8-10 metal "legs" and a wooden handle. It's pretty good. The first few times I used it it was super tickly on the back of my neck

Is it like this?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hand-Held-Scalp-Head-Massager-Health-Care-/251721248875?pt=UK_Health_Massage_RL&hash=item3a9bc1706b

Also, I forgot to mention that you should check if it has any rough bits, or seams. I don't think using something like that would cause damage, but seams can.

mamaherrera
December 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM
I have one exactly like that. I do it for a few minutes and then use my "denman" scalp massagers that have teeth to massage and scritch a bit, but not "brush"

Baby_doll
December 1st, 2014, 08:28 PM
Yea it's like that one, mine has the little bulbs on the ends and stuff so there's no seams or anything.

Johannah
December 2nd, 2014, 02:18 AM
My mom bought such a spider thing for me some days ago. God I love that feeling :lol: Not sure if it actually does something for my hair, but it gives an amaaaazing feeling after wearing my hair up for an entire day!

AmyBeth
December 2nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
The "spider thingy" feels good and is fun to have someone else use on you, but it doesn't increase the circulation the way a fingertip massage does. I'm a huge advocate of daily massage, because I know it absolutely helped speed up my own growth! To really get results you really have to do it every day, or very near to every day. You don't have to make a second career out of it, though. I think I must spend maybe 2-3 minutes every morning, just long enough to feel the tingle of increased circulation. It took a month or two to really notice that my hair was growing faster, from a little less than 1/4 inch per month to a little over 1/4 inch per month. Not an awful lot of increased growth rate, but I'll take it!

Baby_doll
December 2nd, 2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks amybeth, ill probably mix them, like do a few minutes of each, the spider one makes my scalp tingle when I use it in a circle motion,