PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting copper highlights, need opinions.

AmberLouise
December 1st, 2014, 01:30 PM
Lately I have been bored with my natural hair color and have been thinking about dying my hair a copper color but I thought I would start with copper highlights first to see how I like it. The problem I'm having is that my hair looks so different depending on the lighting that I'm not sure if it will look good or not (sometimes my hair looks ashy but other times it looks very golden). My question is when picking out something like highlights what lighting do you use to base your decision on, indoor or outdoor lighting?

These pictures were all taken on the same day just under different lighting.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/raingirlred/Untitled_zps0bc528a7.png (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/raingirlred/media/Untitled_zps0bc528a7.png.html)

lapushka
December 1st, 2014, 02:48 PM
Ooh, I wouldn't do it. Your hair is an absolutely lovely color in an of itself. It might cost you length once you start the dyeing process (because we all know that is a never ending thing once you start).

maegalcarwen
December 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM
I think it is such a pretty hair color! It is blonde, coppery, [insert every fancy hair color between blonde and red here which name I don't know], and it looks different in every light! It is so unique!:) Try doing something else if you want to keep growing it out, maybe bangs or heat-less curls or some nice hairstyle?

meteor
December 1st, 2014, 03:20 PM
First of all, I agree with everybody else: your hair color is stunning! I wouldn't change a thing!

You do mention that your desire to change the color is driven by being bored with your natural color. Then how about getting clip-in extensions in coppery red? Or even a wig? No commitment, no damage, no maintenance!

Also, since your hair color is light, veggie, non-damaging, temporary dyes in coppery shades will show very well in your hair and they will fade after a few washes. I'd look into Manic Panic / Adore.

Best of luck! :D And happy growing! :D

maegalcarwen
December 1st, 2014, 03:22 PM
First of all, I agree with everybody else: your hair color is stunning! I wouldn't change a thing!

You do mention that your desire to change the color is driven by being bored with your natural color. Then how about getting clip-in extensions in coppery red? Or even a wig? No commitment, no damage, no maintenance!

Also, since your hair color is light, veggie, non-damaging, temporary dyes in coppery shades will show very well in your hair and they will fade after a few washes. I'd look into Manic Panic / Adore.

Best of luck! :D And happy growing! :D

Oh yes, the clip in extensions! Maybe you could create a coppery low-lights effect. Sounds like an awesome idea!

Baby_doll
December 1st, 2014, 03:27 PM
im with lapushka, i wouldn't dye my hair if i were you, not only can you loose length but dyes can effect your hormones. but its your hair not mine.

spidermom
December 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM
Please don't dye it, not with a permanent color. What you have is jaw-dropping gorgeous! The upper picture on the right looks lavender on my monitor; so unique and beautiful.

I agree with nondamaging vegetable dyes like Manic Panic, Special Effects, Punky by Jerome Russell. Or you could try a non-permanent salon dye. I had my hair colored copper for my daughter's wedding August 2013, and it took a year for the last traces of that dye to fade away. The fade was so gradual that I only had roots at about 6-8 weeks, then the grow-out line faded. Also - no damage.

JellyBene
December 1st, 2014, 03:43 PM
If that's your natural color you wouldn't have to do hilights at all :) hilights require lightening the hair. you could get deposit only (demi permenant color) lowlights in a copper color that only lasts 6-8 weeks. demi permenant dye doesnt harm the hair in the least

Catatafish
December 1st, 2014, 04:05 PM
Your hair is beautiful the way that it is!

That being said, I have been constantly dying my hair different colours most of my life, so I understand the impulse.

I would suggest that you buy clip in extensions in the colour that you're thinking of dying your hair. That way you can wear them for a while, photograph them in different light, and play with the placement.

If after 6 months, they are definitely what you want, then reassess. But in my own experience, I wish that I had done this instead of constantly going from colour to colour. Colouring your hair is a huge commitment, even if you don't want to grow your hair that long, and have hair that can handle colouring well. You have to constantly get the roots done, the colour fades.

Then your hairdresser leaves and the new one puts the highlights in the wrong place and it costs a fortune!!! Ok, never mind me :)

But really, just buy some clip ins in the colour that you want. I know they aren't the BEST if you want to grow you hair very long, but I think I would be better to do that then dying your hair then regretting it.

JellyBene
December 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM
BUT may I add that in my humble opinion I like your hair the way it is as well

Hotrox
December 1st, 2014, 10:03 PM
Your hair is beautiful, no dye necessary. But I was thinking you could take a section, or ends , or whatever you like and do a henna colour. That could give you a copper colour without damage. Still a big commitment with up keep if you liked it.

Johannah
December 2nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
Your hair color is beautiful!! Dying is your own choice, off course. But I remember when I was bored with my hair and I dyed it (or at least, put blonder highlights in my hair), I got a lot of damage and not to mention I got bored with that too. It wasn't worth it, at all. So please, think this through and use the 2-week rule!

ErinLeigh
December 2nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
I love the color. I fear you would lose your natural color variations if you dye even pieces of it. When you color your hair tends to fade and can leave a brassy hue left behind that needs touched up.
I like the idea of maybe cassia/henna in an underside streak to experiment perhaps... but darn I would hate to see you lose your wonderful natural color. (this coming from someone who dyes their own hair-fighting the many grays)

browneyedsusan
December 3rd, 2014, 08:01 AM
My hair used to be that color, when I was a pup.
I'd give my right arm to have it back. Just saying. :)

FWIW: red chemical dyes don't last very long. The dye molecule is big, and doesn't penetrate very well. Before I found out about henna, I dyed/highlighted a LOT--myself and at the salon. Red or strawberry blond would last about a week, even if I babied it. Then, it turned ashey.

Begemot
December 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
Like many others here, I must say that your natural hair color is beautiful! But I do think that copper highlights would suit you nicely if you decide to go for it. You seem pretty warm colored to me. I'm not an expert of subject but I think that copper hair looks great when the person is warm or warm/neutral. Your hair color changes a lot and if I were you I would probably judge it based on how it looks when it's in natural light or the way it looks most of the time.