PDA

View Full Version : Braid tutorial for curlies?

Allar
December 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on a topic that has been puzzling me for a long time, maybe there's alredy something on the web but I've been searching without success, so I decided to just ask :)

I would like to learn how to self braid my hair that have now become quite long, at least for me, but even if I know the basics of classic french braiding I'm having a hard time managing my hair which is mostly a 2c type with some 3a curls. The biggest problem for me is dividing the hair in strands because they tend to tangle one in another creating a big mess, even worse for one that tries to learn braiding.
I've found a lot of tutorials for types 1 and even types 3, but nothing for hair in between that for me is a lot troublesome.

Anyone have experienced my same problems and have any advice to finally learn how to get a decent braid? :o

Arete
December 1st, 2014, 02:41 PM
The most important thing to do is stay on top of the bottom strands braiding themselves together. If you don't you can get a real knotty, tangly mess. Also keeping the same tension on your braid so the wurlies don't pop out if you go tight-loose-tight. If you have trouble gathering strands, you might want to try picking them up with a ratail comb. Also, detangle before you braid to make it easier. You also can spray yur hair with water to dampen it so the strands stick together while you're doing the styling to help with rogue strands.
I have hair similar to yours (2C with a bit of 3A), and I will tell you that ultimately it comes down to try, try, try again and you'll get better. I find dutch braids easier to do on myself than french. Mayhap you could give that a try?
My braiding looked awful when I started, but now I have the title of braid ninja in several social circles. :p

lapushka
December 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM
These are a rope-braids for 2nd day hair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4do7ELUXdik

And here's regular braiding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_962974&feature=iv&src_vid=4do7ELUXdik&v=13-aID_uJPc

Madora
December 1st, 2014, 03:30 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on a topic that has been puzzling me for a long time, maybe there's alredy something on the web but I've been searching without success, so I decided to just ask :)

I would like to learn how to self braid my hair that have now become quite long, at least for me, but even if I know the basics of classic french braiding I'm having a hard time managing my hair which is mostly a 2c type with some 3a curls. The biggest problem for me is dividing the hair in strands because they tend to tangle one in another creating a big mess, even worse for one that tries to learn braiding.
I've found a lot of tutorials for types 1 and even types 3, but nothing for hair in between that for me is a lot troublesome.

Anyone have experienced my same problems and have any advice to finally learn how to get a decent braid? :o

Your main area of trouble would be keeping all 3 strands separated after you make one crossover. Ideally, after you make the crossover, hold the braid in one hand, and then open the fingers of your other hand so that they resemble a rake. Then very slowly - I cannot emphasize how doing the "raking" of the 3 strands s l o w l y, is so important. Rake all the way down the strands so that they are completely separated. Do this raking every time you make a crossover (either from left to right, or right to left).

I don't know if this would help, but another suggestion: Once you are about to begin braiding and have the 3 sections separated, maybe you could "caterpillar" each section with soft chenille hair ties, wind them around the strands twice. Ideally, they should hold in place, but be easily moveable down the strands. As you braid, move each little hair tie down the section a bit. What you are doing is confining your hair to make it more easy to braid. Depending on your length, maybe 5 chennile ties on each section.

Also, when you practice this, perhaps it would be best to practice with your hair in front of you, so you can see how the braiding is progressing. As you become more familiar with braiding this way, then you can return to braiding down your head, etc.

Allar
December 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
Detangling? What is detangling? My hair refuses to understand this word! :D

This is the biggest problem, I could comb for hours and get rid of every knot, but whenever I move my hair its poofy ends just stick to eachother, that's why I find it difficult to manage strands and properly braid them in a decent form. Water unfortunately makes things even worse, so I just try to avoid it altogether, not even adding aloe vera gel makes it better.
Maybe I should try something oily, but my hair is so picky and delicate when it comes to balance moisture, it can shift from dry to oily with just a few drops of the lightest oil.
Oh well, probably I should insist with practice, practice and practice... :)

Edit: I wrote before reading Madora's post, indeed the biggest problem is keeping the strands separated, especially after the crossing, maybe I should really try your caterpillar idea, but anyway I guess I just have to learn how to rake the strands at every crossing.
About braiding in front of me, oddly I find it more difficult than braiding behind my head, somewhat I find it easier to imagine the right movement of the strands :)
Thank you for the helpful hints, I will try to figure how to properly use my hands to detangle at every crossing without losing the strands! :p

Arete
December 1st, 2014, 03:46 PM
Have you tried a leave in conditioner?

darklyndsea
December 1st, 2014, 03:48 PM
Oily braids don't look bad the way other hairstyles look bad when they're overoiled, so you might want to try it to see if you like the look or not.

lapushka
December 1st, 2014, 03:49 PM
Just found this one as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPOX6e0UrYk