PDA

View Full Version : bobby pins

mamaherrera
December 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
Ok this might be a hard question to answer, but I'm so frustrated. What is the learning curve for bobby pins and hair pins, cuz I don't get how to strategically place either one so that they give me some hold. right now, I just want to do a Frida hair style, with two side braids wrapped around behind my bangs, like rainbows (hope I described that right). I put in like 3 hairpins, and 15 bobbypins, and nothing is staying. Obviously I'm not putting them in the right places, because they're just popping out and my braids are flipping around. what is the secret?? thanks, from a frustrated me!!

Amapola
December 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM
Well, for me, there just IS no secret. It's quite out in the open: my hair DESPISES bobby pins and spits them out in contempt. The crinkle Amish pins are not a whole lot better.

I learned my lesson: I use spin pins. They are the only thing my hair will go along with. And even then, there are days.... :rolleyes:

gthlvrmx
December 1st, 2014, 01:17 PM
I would suggest trying out spin pins. You just screw it into your hair and they hold very well. I'm able to run and exercise with a bun held with spin pins better than with bobby pins. I think to make bobby pins work you would have to try using them like you would with hair sticks- stick it in the bun, then point it outwards and then slide it back in. Something like that. Sorry if that's not a good explanation! Maybe this video will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQwLBvwoZE&list=FL-EEBYDuihLFrJHdrDflk7A&index=56

muddblood21
December 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM
Big big second on the spin pins! The do the work of a dozen bobby pins in my hair, and they are much easier to locate and remove.

spidermom
December 1st, 2014, 01:20 PM
There is a learning curve for me with bobby pins. Sometimes I can pin 2 braids up with about 8 bobby pins and the style stays comfortable all day. Other times I use twice that many and the whole thing slips down in an hour or two. So I obviously haven't mastered the secrets of the pinned up style, but I like such styles so much more than buns that I'm going to keep trying.

mamaherrera
December 1st, 2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks, well there is no solution, but at least I feel like I'm not the only one who struggles with this. I got it, finally now, after having to redo it three times, and still, I move in a certain way, and one of my bobby pins sticks me in the scalp. Oh the fun of having long hair!!

Catatafish
December 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM
I have not yet figured out the mysteries of bobby pins, and their cousins, the open crinkeldy ones.

I only sometimes have luck with spin pins. It is very variable for me, but at least with spin pins I know I have gotten them to work at least once before, and I'll get them to work again.

I definitely recommend spin pins though. They are much easier to learn how to use at least.

chen bao jun
December 1st, 2014, 04:33 PM
Bobby pins are actually created to hold tiny wisps of hair out of the way. I definitely can't put my hair up with any amount. I also use spin pins or Amish pins when a stick or fork won't do.

Nique1202
December 1st, 2014, 04:36 PM
My hair is too slippery and fine to hold bobby pins for more than a few minutes, if at all. It doesn't matter which way I put them in, how I anchor them, or anything else I can do, it just won't hold unless I stick two in at right angles to each other and one hooks on the grooves of the other. That's about the only way they do any good for me, and it's not very convenient for most styles. I think some people's hair just isn't compatible with bobby pins.

Madora
December 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
[http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/92214Howtousehairpinsindoublebraidbun.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/92214Howtousehairpinsindoublebraidbun.jpg.html)COL OR="#0000FF"]
How to use crimped hairpins:
1) Put the crimped hairpin through the outside edge of the braid or bun. The feet of the hairpin should be facing OUT, away from the bun
2) PIVOT the pin down to the scalp, turning slightly towards bun as you scrape up a tiny bit of scalp hair with the pin
3) Weave the pin with the scalp hair into the center of the bun in an up and down motion. Don't just stick it in straight. That way never holds for long!
4) Use crimped hairpins at the 4 directions: North/South/East/West. If you need more, use 'em!
5) Wash your crimped hairpins once a month.
crimped hairpins are very easy to put in/take out. BE SURE the feet of each pin has a little "ball" at the end! This is much more hair friendly than crimped pins whose feet do not have "balls" on the ends!
Crimped hairpins can be found at Sally's Beauty Supply or on Amazon. Usual dimensions: 2", 2-1/2" or my fave, 3".

Bobby pins are only meant for tiny whisps of hair. They are not good at all for weight bearing tasks.

If you want to do Frieda Kahlo braids (which begin at the ear and end at the back of the other ear), when you're going to need 3 inch crimped hairpins, depending on the thickness of the braids.

First off, create your two braids (braid loosely!)
Then, lay the braids so that they are next to each other on the head, flat, with edges touching
Use your hand to hold the braids at the top center of your head. Use a 3 inch crimped hairpin thus:
1 Insert pin straight down so that it is headed for the scalp..but the legs are straddling the inside edge and outside of the braid.
2 Press down slightly on the pin until it touches the scalp, then PIVOT the legs of the hairpin IN towards the scalp, while you are picking up a tiny bit of scalp hair. Weave the hairpin thru both braids.
3 Note: When you insert the hairpins, do it on a slight angle, not ruler straight into the braids.
4 Use crimped hairpins on the front row braid to anchor it. Then use some more crimped hairpins on the back braid row to anchor it. You need to have both braids securely anchored in order for the style to stay in place securely.
5. If a hairpin hurts, take it out and try another place.

If your braids are thin, then you might have better luck with a 2 inch crimped hairpin. I'd say roughly you'd need about 6 for each braid. Hope this helps! (ps. 3 inch crimped hairpins are much better for stability in general).
[/COLOR]

Entangled
December 1st, 2014, 10:49 PM
Seconding Madora's tutorial. The key with hairpins is to weave them. As for bobby pins, I just hope to get lucky. One thing I've learned is that I personally prefer bendier ones. The hard, matte looking ones that Goody sells are NOT for me!

Nadine <3
December 1st, 2014, 11:14 PM
I use them to hold my bangs back when I'm tired of them. Using them for anything else is a gamble. I haven't received the spin pins and amish pins in the mail I ordered yet, hopefully those will be better!

Johannah
December 2nd, 2014, 01:33 AM
I use them for (a part of) my bangs, but not for buns. They aren't made for that, or at least not when you have long hair. If you use them for parts of your hair like bangs, make sure the 'curved' side is at the bottom. I actually use them as hair sticks and actually a bit like Madoras tutorial.

mamaherrera
December 2nd, 2014, 02:47 AM
I'll keep trying with my amish pins, but they don't work and the 3" ones I have are great for buns, but not or Frida style, as they are too long and come out the other end. But meanwhile, spin pins on Friday type hair style, I can't see how that would work, so I think that's out of the question. I can and do use them on buns, sometimes they hold it up. others they don't. I mean, two, I guess I could try using four spin pins, but like I said, for Frida style, there is no way I could use spin pins. There are mini spin pins out there though, I saw them today!

Elly May
December 2nd, 2014, 05:37 AM
To me, bobby pins are very damaging. I like the amish pins (thanks to Madora's excellent tutorial!) and spin pins. They seem to hold my hair better with no damage. Just the design of bobby pins--tight and stiff--makes me cringe...

mamaherrera
December 2nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
no Elly May and if you'd seen how many times I took them out and redid them, like 10 times each bobby pin, you'd really pass out, talk about damage. I had no pain though, so I don't think I pulled any hairs out, but I"m sure I broke a few!

yahirwaO.o
December 2nd, 2014, 12:30 PM
I use them to hold my bangs back when I'm tired of them. Using them for anything else is a gamble. I haven't received the spin pins and amish pins in the mail I ordered yet, hopefully those will be better!

Yeah Bobby pins and updos unless ur teasing and hair spraying the hell out of it, simply get along... for bangs and short pieces is totally good

Arctic
December 2nd, 2014, 01:51 PM
double post

Arctic
December 2nd, 2014, 01:52 PM
I have always loved bobby pins, they are my favourite hair tools. My hair is now at shoulder length, but I've used them successfully when I had about BSL length hair (my hair type these days is slightly wavy, medium thickness, fine, med and coarse strands. Previously I have very fine and thin and slippery hair.).

They come in different sizes, you might need bigger ones, and you might be trying to put too much hair in there. Some people recommend using them so, that the crincly side is against the head - should stay better that way. I haven't used that trick as I don't have any problems with them staying. Other often see tip is to spray them with hair spray before putting them in use. I use them in similar way as Madora posted about hair pins (which I love too but they don't work on the length I have now).

I open the bobby pin a bit, insert is so that it at first point to the opposite direction, then flip it in the correct direction and push firmly but gently in place allowing the tips follow the scalp. If the pin feels like it starts come out of the hair immediately, you's inserted too much hair inside the pin. It's extremely hard to explain my technique, I've been using bobby pins and hair pins since childhool and it comes automatically for me. Anyway, I bet there are youtube tutorials for this, too.

ARG
December 2nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
Bobby pins and I are mortal enemies; they give me such headaches. My hair spits out amish pins no matter how many tutorials I try. Spin pins and I have come to an understanding, and they work pretty well for me.

I'm sticking with my single hair stick for the best hold, lol.

MissMoppet
December 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hey guys!

I just wanted to chime in about bobby pins. I too get frustrated by them. They look so useful but they all slide out of my hair quite quickly. I read somewhere yesterday that if you spray them with hairspray and put them in before they dry, they stay put a lot better. Also, I have been customizing some bobby pins for myself by painting one side with red nail polish. (Christmas colors!) I find they seem to stay in my hair a bit better after the sides get a bit coated in color. I have not tried the hairspray thing, but when I do I will try to come back and report on my success (or lack thereof.)

spidermom
December 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
Just remembered about bobby pins regarding placement: The way the hair lies is vertical. Make sure the pins are going in horizontal or at least at a 45-degree angle to catch under the scalp hair. If you put the pins in vertical, they won't catch any scalp hair and will spring right back out. Or they might catch just a bit of scalp hair and pull. I find that bobby pins do hold better if you put them in as Madora illustrated earlier, then crimped side down (against scalp).

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Spin pins, and big crinkly open hairpins are awesome for buns. Bobby pins are good for holding back my bangs. I have decided I only like Sally's bobby pins though. Any other brand I have tried scrape and break my hair more when I am taking them out (even though I try to keep them open while taking them out of my hair). I still have a lot of various brand bobby pins laying around, but once they disappear, I'll never buy anything else but Sally's bobby pins. Magic grip pins are fine if you file down the edges and seams first. They hold really well.

mamaherrera
December 8th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I have magic grip pins, need to get them filed, as I've been using them just out of the box.