PDA

View Full Version : Debating a trim... thoughts? (pic heavy)

Arete
November 30th, 2014, 12:25 PM
So I'm nearly to BCL, aobut an inch to go now. My hair is healthy, ends greats, but I feel right now that my hem line makes it look thinner and shorter than it is because I used to cut mild layers in my hair and my shortest layer is a little above waist length. I keep going back and forth on whether I should trim up about 3/4 inches to the top of my hips, and then let it grow for a couple of months so my shortest layer gets to hip and then trim up again so I have a blunt hemline. However, I also kind of like my hemline as it kind of has that natural V "fairy tale" look without the ends being wispy and thin. And of course, losing almost half a year's to a year and a half's growth is painful as I really want to get to TBL as I feel my hair will finally start to look/feel long at that length (my growth rate has varied from less than half an inch to and inch and a half per month :confused:). Any ways, on to the pics!

Taken the 16th. Post wash (still slightly damp)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x385/TheJazzPony/IMG_3612_zpsfcd445f1.jpg

Taken the 15th, prewash

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x385/TheJazzPony/hairpre11-15_zps7a8d6741.jpg

Taken the 10th 2nd or 3rd day hair. (Usually I have stronger curly wurly's, but since half up, under layer sometimes is straighter)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x385/TheJazzPony/IMG_20141026_1609217611_zps384aa1ac.jpg

Note sure when this was taken exactly. Some time late October pre wash

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x385/TheJazzPony/IMG_20141025_115305923_zps86f87b48.jpg

Mid october post wash

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x385/TheJazzPony/IMG_20141012_1150598141_zps7be07ac5.jpg

October 1st

elsieivy
November 30th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Your hair is beautiful! I definitely wouldn't take off 3 or 4 inches. If you're really unhappy with the ends maybe do a microtrim but I really don't think even that is necessary.

Arete
November 30th, 2014, 12:29 PM
The lat one won't show up, so October 1st after 1/2" trim and damp comb through

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x385/TheJazzPony/IMG_20141003_2046459911_zps88981e20.jpg

Johannah
November 30th, 2014, 12:31 PM
It's a personal preference off course. If you want to have an even hemline though, I wouldn't cut 4 inches all at once. Maybe just maintain for a while, or cut half your growth. Or just grow until TBL and maintain from there.

Gertrude
November 30th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Wow ! Beautiful hair. I would say to just let it be. Definitely not take inches off. Micro trim, dust, perhaps take off half your growth at most until your hemline is more like you want it.

spidermom
November 30th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Lovely hair; no trim needed. Grow grow grow.

LauraLongLocks
November 30th, 2014, 12:53 PM
There is nothing at all wrong with your hem. It looks wonderful just the way it is. However, if you would rather have a blunt hem, I would not cut more than half your monthly growth. There is no need to part with a lot of hair all at once.

maegalcarwen
November 30th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I think it is not your hemline, it is just how your hair is. You have pretty hair! If it bothers you, I'd trim a little each month and grow it "together". Maybe cut until hip 1-2 times and its all pretty all over: ) Or just microtrim. I would not do a drastic cut - it doesn't look bad at all!

hannabiss
November 30th, 2014, 01:27 PM
How ever you feel. I had my bf trim my hair. And im happy he did. He took off 1/4 inch and my hair feels sooo much better.

McFearless
November 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Your layers will move downwards at the same rate regardless of what happens to the ends so you might as well reach your length goal before trimming.

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Your hair looks fine to me. I'd say happy growing. Your hem curls and all look great.

lapushka
November 30th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Lovely hair; no trim needed. Grow grow grow.

Yes. This. ^^ Notice how your hem hangs different each time. That's just the nature of the beast. One picture is not going to do it justice. So I'm sure that hem is just fine! Please don't cut. Why do we always get scissor happy when goals are in reach? ;)

askan
November 30th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I think your hemline is perfect for your hairtype! It's just my personal taste, but I think curly hair looks so good with some layering and not a too blunt hemline. =)

sarahchant
November 30th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I think your hair looks gorgeous and I would suggest not trimming yet...

LongCurlyTress
November 30th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I have very curly 3b hair and I am going to disagree with what most of the other posters have said. My hemline was like yours is until a few weeks ago. I also have layers growing out, and the thin braid tassel and also how the ends felt at the end of a bun were driving me crazy. I had not trimmed since July, so I did cut off between 1-1/2 inches of just the bottom part of the v/u shaped hemline. Now my hemline is thicker and feels better. I still have layers growing out, but I will continue to trim every 6 months or so until they are gone. I am glad I did this and now my hemline is alot more even, well, it is hanging more like a u instead of a V shape now. I am glad I trimmed. I also like to wear my hair in a half up/half down and now the ends are neater looking. I am not a fan of fairy tail ends, on me at least. I just don't like the way they feel on me. Well, just had to put in my two cents since most of the others dont want you to do anything, and since I was in your situation, I wanted to share what I did. My hair seems to have just reached 30+ inches again as I just measured last night, so not sure how I already had new growth, but I did. ;)

lacefrost
November 30th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Your hair looks perfect. You don't need a trim. It really comes down to if you want one.

Hotrox
November 30th, 2014, 09:17 PM
You've got beautiful hair and I see nothing wrong or needing with the ends. Trim if you feel it is necessary but it really doesn't look like it is needed from an outsiders eye.

Arete
December 1st, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thank you for all the compliments, ladies :). I think I'll keep growing to TBL and then maybe trim when I get there, or maybe I'll just keep growing all the way to classic.

Baby_doll
December 1st, 2014, 03:32 PM
the way i see it you can abruptly cut off a bunch of hair and start over on that area, or you can continue growing til tail bone then maintain it til it all fills in and you have a solid tbl, or you can slowly trim and even it out as you go, persoanlly i would wait til tbl to start maintaining and trimming to keep it there until you fill out, then continue growing from there, but its up to you and how you want to do it, i think waiting though might make the wait seem like less.

cat11
December 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
the way i see it you can abruptly cut off a bunch of hair and start over on that area, or you can continue growing til tail bone then maintain it til it all fills in and you have a solid tbl, or you can slowly trim and even it out as you go, persoanlly i would wait til tbl to start maintaining and trimming to keep it there until you fill out, then continue growing from there, but its up to you and how you want to do it, i think waiting though might make the wait seem like less.

Agree!! You're so close... grow it out and then maintain.