PDA

View Full Version : How to find good trim person

MagpieMama
September 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I confess I am mostly a lurker and am not here as frequently as I probably should be :o, so I apologize if I am asking something that has been answered (I will try to hang and read more)

I have been growing my hair for almost 3years - with maybe 1 or 2 cuts in the past 2. I have been rather unhappy the last few salon visits - it was so spendy and I left with way too much product on my hair. My hair really really needs a trim, but I am not sure how to find someone who can/ will do a simple trim.

I would be so grateful for some help / recommendations.

(also, I have that kind of hair that changes significantly with weather: wicked curly to fly away waves. Hair dressers always want to blow it out <ick>. Based on everything I have learned here, I have tried no-poo - but am back to washing 1-2x / month with co-wash as necessary in between. Wide tooth and finger combing. I try to keep hair up at night. Stretched my hair is around BSL, I think. Will try to get pics. ... Hope I am not missing anything)

TIA!

MagpieMama
September 27th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I am such a flake - I am in the Chicago area/ north - probably need to know that for any specific recs.

thanks again!

(couldn't find a link to edit my prev post)

FrannyG
September 27th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm afraid that right now, I trust no one but myself to trim my hair. I never imagined I'd be able to do it, but I trim my hair very successfully using Feye's Self Trimming Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). I've been doing it for 2 1/2 years.

I can trim as much or as little as I want with this method.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, and welcome. :blossom:

OR Cowgirl
September 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I've been thinking very seriously about going to the barber shop, where I take my son, for my next trim. Any barber shop tips, ladies?

Mariah

ladyshannonanne
September 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Go to a cheap salon or a barber shop. There's way less ego involved for the stylist and they tend to do more what you ask instead of what they just learned at beauty school.

atlantaz3
September 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I would lurk around a few salons in your area and watch how people go in and then come back out. I would also make an appointment to speak with the stylist and then make an appt for the cut. That way if you have second thoughts about the appt you can cancel. You might have to pay for a partial visit, but in my book it's worth it. Last suggestion any other long hairs around that you can ask - but I'm sure you have already thought of that one.
I found my stylist by sending my dh to the starter side of the fancy salon I was going to. When she left for another shop and I had to pay 60+ for a hair cut (current rates is that salon are now over $75 for a cut) I made an appt with the dh's stylist. She is in on the grow out process and has cut my hair for about three years now. She says she will not normally cut hair below the back of her chair but is going to make me the exception.

Delila
September 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
... She says she will not normally cut hair below the back of her chair but is going to make me the exception.

If it were me, I'd find a stylist who didn't put such limitations on her availability. Yikes.

manderly
September 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I was going to second Feye's self trim method........super easy. I was freaked out the first time I did it, but the results were exactly what I wanted and I had all the control over the cut.

memphisluvr
September 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Yup, I self trim as well. I'm very pleased and can only blame myself if I'm not ;)

atlantaz3
September 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
As I'm just barely there I'll see how it goes - as others I've had to very slowly grow out a few bad chops. I am trying to talk the dh into trimming actually...

Finoriel
September 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I would also suggest to try self trimming. It´s really not as hard as it sounds and if you have questions after reading Feye´s tutorial :wink: you know a place to ask.
If you do not want to selftrim, the idea with the Barber shop is very good. Preferably one with lots of experience where the owner still cuts hair like he did 40years ago when the shop opened. Far away from the inner city. Those are usually very relaxed places and they´ll do what their customers want, instead of what they think looks best. Good thing is that they are often much cheaper and do usually not insist on washing, blowdrying and "style" your hair, aka loading your hair with products and blowdry it in shape to hide what they just did. :wink: Stay away from every place which looks fashionable, fancy or modern in any way, usually is the safest bet.

gdimoonbeam
September 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I found the "cheap" places work for me. The pricey salons will add 10-20 bucks on for a long hair cut and all they do is run the scissors across the bottom or cut your hair the length they think you should have. I went to one once where I told the stylist to cut 1to 2 inches off and she some how came up with 12. I walked out speechless and in shock. Once that first cut was made there was no going back.

MagpieMama
September 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I found the "cheap" places work for me. The pricey salons will add 10-20 bucks on for a long hair cut and all they do is run the scissors across the bottom or cut your hair the length they think you should have. I went to one once where I told the stylist to cut 1to 2 inches off and she some how came up with 12. I walked out speechless and in shock. Once that first cut was made there was no going back.
oh my goodness! yes - this is another thing I fear. I am off to review the method recommended.
(Although before I even review, I am wondering if it will work as well on curly/ uncontrollable hair)

thank you so much for all the ideas so far!

PS if there are any north side Chicagoans around with any recommendations - or who know how and have good scissors - hint hint :D :laugh: