PDA

View Full Version : The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

WittyWordsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Plus, applying the SMT to dry hair means fewer drippy drip drips down your neck!

This is true! But I'm also learning today that it means you need more mix! I'm mostly well-saturated, but there are parts of my hair that aren't quite soaked like I'm used to.

I just did my best to tuck those dryer ends into the rest of the wet hair while I clipped it up. Hopefully they'll get treated by association! :)

proo
May 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Can molasses or karo syrup be used in place of honey?

GRU
May 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Can molasses or karo syrup be used in place of honey?
Yup, it sure can! :D

dainaleeo2
May 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Sitting with my first SMT on my head! :)
What a shame, I've had this thread bookmarked since I joined, & only recently decided to do it [bad dye job this morning...]. My hair in back is a copper color [washed out remnants of my red hair haha], & the front a more light blonde. The dye...well, I was lightening all over, mostly to get rid of the copper color, but of course that part didn't lighten but the front blonde is now rather ashy to the point of semi-grey. Ah well, I'll let it fade or just do a dark blonde & be done with it :p Silly hair.

I did the ratio using tbsp, so 4 of my Tresseme Naturals moisture conditioner [sometimes use it as a CO wash...great conditioner with no cones!], then 1 tbsp of the Fruit of Nature clear aloe, & 1 tbsp of just the regular honey from the little bear you can pick up anywhere.

It's sitting in my hair right now, under a shower cap, but it felt so smooth while putting it on. I slathered a TON on, which may or may not leave it semi-greasy, but if I rinse well then I don't think it'll be bad. If anything, after class I can simply CO wash & do it again, since I have enough left :)
Next time I may not nuke the ingredients, as I also want some of the lightening from the honey. Even if it's a small amount that's fine. I may add a few drops of jojoba oil as well :) I'll update/edit when I rinse! I may also use the aloe as a 'gel' for scrunching. I'm trying not to use as many chemicals, since I felt as if my old mousse was drying my hair somewhat.

[edit]
WOW! I really, really love this method! I've tried the oil shampoo, which didn't pan out for me, & I CO wash most of the time, but this really seemed to add that extra moisture that my hair craves :) It's come a long way since I've joined, but I'm just sorry I never tried this earlier.
The mix I have worked well. It's not greasy, didn't feel knotted since it was easy to rinse out. I love my condish, which has aloe in it as well, but I may pick up the Tresseme Naturals smoothing condition too, which has jojoba & coconut oils. My hair was so so soft! & I added a wee bit of the aloe [which I think my hair really likes] & the waves were really nice & soft, defined without being crunchy, which is how the mouses make them. So this one is a winner for me! :) I'll post again if I feel like the other conditioner is better.
Hopefully if I decide to flat iron every so often this will make it look amazing as it feels :)

WittyWordsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Way to go, dainaleeo2! Isn't that stuff great? And I love adding jojoba to it. Any extra moisture you put in can't do anything but help, and the humectants just suck it right into your hair!

I love SMTs and I think they've played a big part in the transformation of my hair. It's fun to play around with the recipe and tailor your results.

Enjoy!! :D

dainaleeo2
May 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
@WittyWordsmith: It really is! Such a shame that I just decided to use it now haha. Though I'm sure it'll become a staple in my hair care routine now. :)
I'm definitely going to add jojoba oil next time. My hair loves it. Hah it's so humid where I live & go to school that I can imagine my hair just sucking all of that moisture out of the hair. The frizz is worth it though.
I'm interested to know if anyone had any lightening if they didn't microwave the SMT, using honey of course. A bit of added lightening wouldn't be such a bad thing.

WittyWordsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
From what I've read, unintentional lightening in an SMT is quite rare. If you end up getting that result, you're a lucky one!

I think many people heat the honey because they (like me) just aren't willing to chance it. :)

Charlotte:)
May 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM
dainaleeo2 As I mentioned in the honey thread, I don't think the honey would lighten your hair unless it was raw. "Regular" honey has been heated during the pasteurization process. :shrug:

dainaleeo2
May 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Aw, darn. I haven't read up on the honey thread in a long time. But I suppose it's alright :) I'll just continue heating it then. I could just do another honey lightening treatment, but the drips & sticky mess just isn't something I look forward to. As long as it's healthy, then that's all that matters to me anyway :)

pixiestar
May 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
I can't wait to try a SMT:D I'll try and do it at the weekend with my Tresemme naturals smooth conditioner, honey and aloe same proportions as dainaleeo2:)

Sundial
May 24th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I just had to check: those who heated your honey, did you not experience lightening at all?

I have been using raw honey previously and I know hair is dead but silly me thought it wouldn't hurt to have more nutrients in raw honey. I checked the honey lightening thread and also this SMT thread for occurrences of lightening from use of honey and it seems that lightening requires distilled water and SMT didn't seem to cause lightening in most users. So I went ahead with raw honey without first heating it.

I have been noticing lightening for some time and recently people have been commenting on it being really light especially under the sun. I checked through all the threads again and Phalaenopsis was talking about damage from honey lightening, it sounds like what my hair is experiencing. I backtracked and realized that water is a major ingredient in the conditioner that I was using. I'm not sure if it was distilled but it did lighten my hair and it is quite obvious because it is a huge contrast from my dark hair.

So I guess this post is mainly for your information. And I just wanted to confirm that those who heated their honey prior to use did not experience any lightening before I continue SMTs with heated honey :confused: also, those who have tried it with heated and unheated honey, did you notice any difference in its effectiveness in SMT treatments?

dainaleeo2
May 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM
@ Pixistar: can't wait to see if you had the same awesome results as I did! That conditioner is amazing in its own right. So mixed with this it just gets elevated to a super level :)

@Sundial: I don't know if this will help much, since my honey is not raw but is the generic kind in the little bear, but the second time I did this treatment, same stuff as within the first, I didn't heat it. I wanted to see if it would lighten just from my own curiousity. But, as the others stated, it didn't. Again I don't use raw so there's probably an added element with the raw honey. But I didn't get any added lightening, not that I could tell anyway, so that's just what happened with me.

Anje
May 27th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I haven't gotten noticeable lightening. Then again, honey doesn't seem to stay liquid in my house and gets microwaved sooner or later, so I'm not a good one to compare to. :)

If you want to avoid that risk altogether, just use molasses or corn syrup or something of that sort instead of honey.

Sundial
May 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks dainaleeo2 and Anje! I'll substitute the honey to be on the safe side :flower:

GlassWidow
May 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm sitting with this treatment in my hair right now, and I'm excited to see the results. It smells AH-MAY-ZING between the honey and the berry conditioner I used. :cheese:

Phalaenopsis
May 28th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks dainaleeo2 and Anje! I'll substitute the honey to be on the safe side :flower:
Same here, I want to try SMTs after all this time and I bought me some apricot syrup.

Guenhwyvar
June 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
For those of you who got good results, how long did you leave it in? I was all ready to sleep in it, but my plastic shower cap is biting my head a bit :(

I have a softer one, but I think it will just run down my head more as it is not very tight....

GRU
June 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
I usually do about an hour....

WittyWordsmith
June 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
For those of you who got good results, how long did you leave it in? I was all ready to sleep in it, but my plastic shower cap is biting my head a bit :(

I have a softer one, but I think it will just run down my head more as it is not very tight....

I do at least an hour, but usually no more than 2.

GlassWidow
June 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
I managed two hours before I couldn't stand it any longer. It got pretty drippy the last half hour, for some reason.

|Xei
June 5th, 2011, 04:04 AM

I think the most I did was 2.5 hours, though usually I aim for 1.5-2 hours. In my experience, the longer I leave it in, the longer the results last. Just as a note though, I do put oil into my SMTs.

Guenhwyvar
June 5th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks everyone. I did leave it overnight though :). I had to wash it out with shampoo in the end as I had white flakes and a thick oily? residue. I did not use oil but I used handmade naturals condish. I find any oil etc in my hair leaves an oily residue and looks wet even when dry.

Was great after though :)

redheadlynn
June 5th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I am cone free and CO washing. I do not and have never heat styled (probably less than 25 times in my life, ie blow drying after salon haircuts and getting my hair straightened at parties as a preteen). I use only a wooden comb. I tried oiling my hair with coconut oil, but I started this at the same time as starting CO washing, and I found that my hair was just too lank (still felt dry though). Now that my hair has transitioned I can start adding daily oilings back in. I am using Fox's Shea Butter recipe on my ends daily.

ETA: I suspect this is due to an undiagnosed health problem. I have the same issue with my skin, painfully dry all the time. Using Eucerin Original Creme all over once or twice a day, with Eucerin lotion top ups throughout the day has kept that at bay. I need something similarly over the top moisturizing for my hair until I get my health under control. I don't want to irreparably damage my hair in the meantime, I don't want to have to grow out to BSL from my new growth in order to get my thickness back.

Hey! I agree with you, especially if you aren't normally dry-skinned. Thyroid, maybe? Sometimes estrogen imbalances can cause hormonal issues, too.... I know pregnancy makes my skin extra oily, even post Accutane.

I took Accutane as a teenager, which means that now my skin and hair are very dry. VERY DRY. I feel your pain. I live on shea butter and coconut oil. Coconut oil in my hair before bed, before shower, and after shower (less after shower than at other times). CO wash only (I shampoo every week or so). My skin gets unrefined shea butter, but coconut works as a pick-me-up during the day, and is less oily feeling on my face. Coconut oil has saved my hair, that's for sure. I just use LOTS of it, as it absorbs into my hair and skin pretty quickly.

Perhaps you should try more natural oils on your skin, rather than the eucerin?

I hope you find something that works for you, and that you can figure out what is causing the dryness. :(

Charlotte:)
June 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I tried my first SMT last night! I used Suave Naturals Sun-Kissed Conditioner, raw clover honey, and aloe vera gel freshly harvested from my own plant. I left it in for an hour and then rinsed for a VERY long time followed by a vinegar rinse, because my fine hair can't stand to have anything left behind in it. Then I waited for it to dry most of the way, put a bit of oil in, braided it, and went to bed. The next morning, my hair was so light-feeling, smooth, and easy to comb. It felt as baby-fine as it was when I was a child, and I just couldn't stop playing with it! Unfortunately, my individual strands of hair still feel like straw, but I'm beginning to think that's just how my hair naturally feels without cones (I've been coneless for several months now.) I think I'm going to try a coconut soak for my next deep moisture treatment.

Anje
June 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I did leave it overnight though :). I had to wash it out with shampoo in the end as I had white flakes and a thick oily? residue. I did not use oil but I used handmade naturals condish. I find any oil etc in my hair leaves an oily residue and looks wet even when dry.

Was great after though :)
Ugh. I hate those flakes, and get them occasionally too. I think there are some conditioners that interact with the aloe to do that. If I omit the aloe, I've never encountered it, at least.

WittyWordsmith
June 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately, my individual strands of hair still feel like straw, but I'm beginning to think that's just how my hair naturally feels without cones (I've been coneless for several months now.) I think I'm going to try a coconut soak for my next deep moisture treatment.

Yay for a successful SMT!! :D

Ok, I'm not 100% on this, but I thought that when hair felt like straw it had too much protein in it. Would a coconut treatment just put more in there? I've heard people who end up with straw-like hair say they try to avoid protein products.

Maybe that's why your strands aren't so soft? Or does coconut soaking not have protein in it?

prettykitty
June 9th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I tried my first SMT last weekend! I took a little 100ml travel bottle and filled it with a couple of good squirts of aloe vera, a bunch of my fave conditioner, the last of the honey (heated) and a squirt of oil. Wrapped up and left in for forty minutes, and the results were magic, I couldn't stop touching my hair! Is there any problem with doing a weekly SMT? The results lasted for a couple of days but I want prettiiies again :p

WittyWordsmith
June 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Many people do them weekly, or several times a week as needed. I try to do one at least once a week when I know I could use the moisture.

pixiestar
June 10th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Have my smt on hair at the moment, will report later with results:D
I'm hoping it will help give moisture so I will get more waves or curls:D

pixiestar
June 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hairs dry its lovely and soft, tangle free:D
I used 4 parts tresemme naturals coconut and jojoba conditioner, 1 part avg and 1 part honey, warmed for 10 secs in the microwave and slathered on. Left on hair for just over a hour. I will definitely be doing it again:D

hypersensitive
June 14th, 2011, 12:52 AM
If I use henna, where could this treatment fit in?

GRU
June 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I like to SMT immediately after a henna application:

Henna
Sit and marinate for a while
Rinse
SMT
Sit and marinate for a while
Rinse
Happy Hair! :D

bunzfan
June 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I am trying this tonight for the first time, i was going to leave it on over night.

WittyWordsmith
June 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Good luck, bunzfan!

I did it once overnight, but I moved around so much it ended up drying out on me. :( So, my tip to you is to make sure you're totally covered in plastic/shower cap/whatever you like, and secure it in place! It's comfortable enough, just make sure things stay nice and moist.

Have fun!! :D

bunzfan
June 15th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Good luck, bunzfan!

I did it once overnight, but I moved around so much it ended up drying out on me. :( So, my tip to you is to make sure you're totally covered in plastic/shower cap/whatever you like, and secure it in place! It's comfortable enough, just make sure things stay nice and moist.

Have fun!! :D

Thanks well it was a total success my hair hasn't felt that sort since it was shoulder length. My problem is that i slept with the turbie twist on my hair all night and the hair was loose in the towel ,but i woke up with aching ears several times:confused: i think because i have so much more hair the weight hurt them don't know.

I think doing this once a week would really help. I have never used much Aloe vera gel but not only does it make a great hair gel it really helps dry patches of skin:)

Lippytoes
June 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Tried this for the first time tonight!

I put the SMT on dry hair, and didn't use quite as much as I could have, I think - but the results are still pretty awesome! I kept it on for about two hours, and then rinsed it out and followed up with a CO wash. I didn't add my usual leave-in because I figured my hair might get too moist, but really, I think I could've added that too. My hair feels fluffier than usual now, but also amazingly soft! My wurls aren't as defined though, but I think that's simply because of not scrunching in my leave-in.

Definitely doing this again. Soft ends, YAY! Also, it seems to bring out the red in my hair, which I love.

In conclusion: :cheese:

Sookie
June 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Does VO5 Sun Kissed Raspberry conditioner have silicones? It is very cheap wow!

WittyWordsmith
June 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think it has any cones, and it's a favorite around here! Some places have it at Walmart for .84. I'd scoop some up if I were you!

Sookie
June 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM
So i will have a go at it :D

dmarie16
June 20th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have tried SMT with honey and did notice some lightening effects. I finally have achieved a dark brunette color with henna, indigo and amla and I don't want to lighten the color but I miss the way SMT made my hair feel. I think I will try the recipe and substitute agave syrup for honey. I try to avoid corn products as the majority of corn raised in the US is GMO so corn syrup is out for me. I will post results after I try the agave.

CariadA
June 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Having been here almost six months, I feel embarrassed to admit that I just recently tried my first SMT. On Saturday, I clarified my hair with VO5 Kiwi Lime then tried an SMT with Garnier Triple Nutrition, Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera and a local honey. I microwaved the mixture for 20 seconds and let it cool before applying. My hair was super soft and amazing!

hypersensitive
June 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Having been here almost six months, I feel embarrassed to admit that I just recently tried my first SMT. On Saturday, I clarified my hair with VO5 Kiwi Lime then tried an SMT with Garnier Triple Nutrition, Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera and a local honey. I microwaved the mixture for 20 seconds and let it cool before applying. My hair was super soft and amazing!

Yes, I've been here for even longer and today was the second time I tried SMT. Shame on us, right? After CO washing, I combined Whole Foods 365 Conditioner, Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera and honey to form the SMT mixture. Then I heated it, applied and marinated for an hour or so. Wow! What a result! I'm very surprised at the fantastic outcome! Even when I was rinsing it off, my hair is pretty much the softest I've ever felt it! Hurray for SMT!!!

KatCooke
June 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
After committing to CO for the past almost month, and doing weekly ACV rinses, I decided to try an SMT. It is on my head right now. Here's what I did:
I mixed a huge blob of Suave Naturals Coconut (my "light" CO condish,) a big squirt of honey and some coconut oil in a coffee mug and microwaved for about 30sec. I then mixed it all up and slapped most of it on my 3 day unwashed hair after spritzing with my mister, just for a bit of dampness. Then I put my hair in a lazy bun on top of my head. I then added the rest of the mixture to my mister (which has sea salt & water, my "heavy" CO condish, a squirt of my ACV/honey rinse, EVOO, Tea Tree Oil, and some tresemme curl milk. I use my mister as a leave-in/ curl activator and it works pretty well, but needed more moisture) After reading this thread for about 2 hours, I was paranoid about it being on dry hair so I Took my hair down and misted the bejeezus out of it.
I will ACV/CO in the morning and see what it looks like.I have oily, flaky scalp and dry ends normally, although the CO has been helping a ton with keeping my hair consistently nice, I just felt like it needed a treat. I will return with results tomorrow, but right now my hair smells AMAZING!

CariadA
June 23rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Yes, I've been here for even longer and today was the second time I tried SMT. Shame on us, right? After CO washing, I combined Whole Foods 365 Conditioner, Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera and honey to form the SMT mixture. Then I heated it, applied and marinated for an hour or so. Wow! What a result! I'm very surprised at the fantastic outcome! Even when I was rinsing it off, my hair is pretty much the softest I've ever felt it! Hurray for SMT!!!
It is the best! Too bad we didn't try it earlier.:)

KatCooke
June 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Holy Moly My hair looks fantastic! My waves are slightly looser than normal but more defined, and NO FRIZZ! I am using this every week for sure- esp since I still have bangs in the front of my hair that require the use of (EEK!) a blowdryer until they get to a length where I can easily integrate them into my waves. Everything is so shiny! I love you TLHC, you have truly made a difference in the way I treat myself and my body. Hooray!!!:cheese:

GRU
June 24th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Holy Moly My hair looks fantastic! My waves are slightly looser than normal but more defined, and NO FRIZZ! I am using this every week for sure- esp since I still have bangs in the front of my hair that require the use of (EEK!) a blowdryer until they get to a length where I can easily integrate them into my waves. Everything is so shiny! I love you TLHC, you have truly made a difference in the way I treat myself and my body. Hooray!!!:cheese:

You do the Hokey Pokey and you SMT your head,

That's what it's all about! :D

Glad it all worked so well for you!

Zesty
July 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
I copied this from my blog so that I could share my SMT experience here. Sorry it's long. :o

So yesterday I clarified and did an SMT for the first time. Used Suave Naturals daily clarifying shampoo (WOW that stuff is strong; I don't think I've ever used something like that that made my hair squeak in the shower!), then Suave Naturals Lavender and Lilac conditioner mixed with Fruit of the Earth clear aloe vera and the regular honey in the bear. I microwaved the honey first by itself, and then mixed in the rest and microwaved it longer. I made enough SMT (1/2 cup of conditioner with appropriate ratios for the other ingredients) that I just dipped my hair in the bowl, spread it around, and then dumped the remainder over my head. :p Then I shower capped it and watched a movie.

After rinsing it out, at first I was really unimpressed. My hair seemed really soft, but not too much softer than usual, and it was tangly and not shiny. I had little white pieces in my hair, I guess from the aloe being microwaved. But then I added some jojoba oil on top and it was a lot smoother and less tangly. This morning, I get up and my hair feels super clean and soft and is shiny as a mirror. And no weird residue left from the Suave conditioner like I've gotten before (I rinsed VERY thoroughly to avoid this).

So clarify + SMT really is like a reset button for your hair. I think next time I might add oil to it in the first place, since adding some jojoba oil over top really made a difference. And maybe leave out the aloe during the microwave stage and just stir it in after microwaving the other stuff. But yes... this is good for me, because I was feeling bad about my hair since I've been stretching washes and wearing it up to hide that, and now it feels like my hair is pretty again. :cheese:

WittyWordsmith
July 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Nice job, Zesty!

Clarify+SMT= Reset... I like that! You're right, too.

I've noticed the little white flakes before, but I thought it was the conditioner instead of the aloe. I'll have to play around with that a little.

Sundial
July 1st, 2011, 11:14 PM
I do think it was the conditioner in the SMT mix causing the white flakes though? I get white flakes with GF Triple Nutrition and Sukin but not AO Honeysuckle Rose/Akin/Giovanni/VO5. It was probably the interaction of the aloe+conditioner+honey that did it since none of the conditioners (nor aloe) on their own left white flakes in my hair.

KatCooke
July 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
So last night I did my SMT round two because my hair was crazy uncooperative yesterday. I Co'd in the morning, and then I misted my hair before applying. This time I did the traditional mixture with the aloe(which I just bought) in place of the oil. Out of the microwave for 15 seconds, it was REALLY runny. I'm wondering if I don't mind the lightening from the honey, if I really need to heat it up beforehand or if I can wait until it's on my head and warm it up with a blowdryer? Anyway, I wound up putting it in an old squeezy bottle and standing in the bathtub to apply(super messy!) after applying, I misted again, combed, and put my hair in a lazy bun. I watched TV for a couple of hours (Up was on, I love that movie!) and then did a mermaid soak to get it all out followed by a seriously diluted vinegar rinse and then secondary soak. I blew out my bangs to make sure the hair was clean and then air dryed the rest. It's awesome again! Hooray! I guess the second question I have is about blow drying, because I need to do it to my bangs/swoopy front bits while they are growing. My hair is wavy and the bangs have a mind of their own when air drying, no matter what I do to them. I know it's bad for hair but if I keep doing treatments like this and Co with no cones do you think it will help? They dont feel much dryer than the rest of my hair, and my hair tolerates abuse well (thankfully) Anyways, my hair is pretty awesome right now!

GRU
July 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I guess the second question I have is about blow drying, because I need to do it to my bangs/swoopy front bits while they are growing. My hair is wavy and the bangs have a mind of their own when air drying, no matter what I do to them. I know it's bad for hair but if I keep doing treatments like this and Co with no cones do you think it will help? They dont feel much dryer than the rest of my hair, and my hair tolerates abuse well (thankfully) Anyways, my hair is pretty awesome right now!

KC, if you're only using "moderate to light" heat and only for short little spurts, the damage from the blow-fryer should be minimal.

Just don't put the nozzle directly on your hair or in any one spot for long periods of time -- everything in moderation. :)

Glad to hear that your SMT worked wonderfully!!!

celebriangel
July 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
So last night I did my SMT round two because my hair was crazy uncooperative yesterday. I Co'd in the morning, and then I misted my hair before applying. This time I did the traditional mixture with the aloe(which I just bought) in place of the oil. Out of the microwave for 15 seconds, it was REALLY runny. I'm wondering if I don't mind the lightening from the honey, if I really need to heat it up beforehand or if I can wait until it's on my head and warm it up with a blowdryer? Anyway, I wound up putting it in an old squeezy bottle and standing in the bathtub to apply(super messy!) after applying, I misted again, combed, and put my hair in a lazy bun. I watched TV for a couple of hours (Up was on, I love that movie!) and then did a mermaid soak to get it all out followed by a seriously diluted vinegar rinse and then secondary soak. I blew out my bangs to make sure the hair was clean and then air dryed the rest. It's awesome again! Hooray! I guess the second question I have is about blow drying, because I need to do it to my bangs/swoopy front bits while they are growing. My hair is wavy and the bangs have a mind of their own when air drying, no matter what I do to them. I know it's bad for hair but if I keep doing treatments like this and Co with no cones do you think it will help? They dont feel much dryer than the rest of my hair, and my hair tolerates abuse well (thankfully) Anyways, my hair is pretty awesome right now!

If you intend to keep your bangs and front pieces the way they are, then yeah, no harm in blowdrying (let it airdry most of the way, then finish on cool) since you're going to trim them regularly.

If you're growing them out, I wouldn't. I'd pin them back - maybe into a small quiff, I like those. If your bangs are too short to pin back, continue blowdrying until you can pin them back. That would be my approach.

I'm currently experimenting with oils in my SMT. I tried panacea, but don't think I added enough for much of an effect. Next trial: EVOO.

Mutinous
July 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking of giving this ago, after hearing about it for a long time. However I am a bit cautious as I bi-monthly use hair straighteners on my hair. (Yes, I know they are bad, but as my goal length isn't too long and I like it straight I do it). I'm assuming I should probably only do this on a fortnight with no straighteners as I'm assuming the honey and aloe gel will react badly to the heat. Any advice/experience? I would rather not fry my hair!

(I apologise if this question has been asked previously in the thread.)

lillylonghair
July 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking of giving this ago, after hearing about it for a long time. However I am a bit cautious as I bi-monthly use hair straighteners on my hair. (Yes, I know they are bad, but as my goal length isn't too long and I like it straight I do it). I'm assuming I should probably only do this on a fortnight with no straighteners as I'm assuming the honey and aloe gel will react badly to the heat. Any advice/experience? I would rather not fry my hair!

(I apologise if this question has been asked previously in the thread.)

Well you are supposed to rinse it out so it shouldn't be an issue.

That being said,when I started doing smts it helped me stop heat styling b/c it made my waves and naturasl texture come out.

lillylonghair
July 2nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
If you intend to keep your bangs and front pieces the way they are, then yeah, no harm in blowdrying (let it airdry most of the way, then finish on cool) since you're going to trim them regularly.

If you're growing them out, I wouldn't. I'd pin them back - maybe into a small quiff, I like those. If your bangs are too short to pin back, continue blowdrying until you can pin them back. That would be my approach.

I'm currently experimenting with oils in my SMT. I tried panacea, but don't think I added enough for much of an effect. Next trial: EVOO.

Love EVOO in mine! I do find though that when I add evoo I have to shampoo and condition after.I can't do the smt in place of my conditioner or it's too greasy.

KatCooke
July 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
I would like to grow them out to about chin length, they are about mouth length right now, but just too short to integrate into my wurls or push back nicely. As soon as they get there, I will lay off the heat and then trim as they get longer. The rest of my hair is between APL & BSL and my goal is waist. I would love to be able to pin them or brush them back or whatever, but they crease and whatever I do to it, shows. My hair is notorious for creasing, which is great sometimes (braid waves & curlers- yay!) but most of the time, it sucks (ponytails and most buns- boo!) Heat is really my only option right now, but hopefully not for too much longer. My hair dryer is one of those ones with the brush attached, since I lack the coordination necessary to hold a blowdryer and operate a brush at the same time.
Thanks for the advice, you guys rock!

lillylonghair
July 3rd, 2011, 08:32 AM

I usually use a big bottle of sauve to rinse out my henna,do my indigo,rinse again,and then the next day do an SMT.

Gilly
July 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
I did an SMT last night, I mixed up 1 tablespoon of organic honey with 4 tablespoons of Matrix Biolage balm, I did not use aloe as it always gives me flakes, I zapped it in the microwave and applied it, I left it on for an hour and then just rinsed it off, my hair feels very happy :cheese:

Sundial
July 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I did an SMT last night, I mixed up 1 tablespoon of organic honey with 4 tablespoons of Matrix Biolage balm, I did not use aloe as it always gives me flakes, I zapped it in the microwave and applied it, I left it on for an hour and then just rinsed it off, my hair feels very happy :cheese:

That's good Gilly!

Just keep at it as often as you think you need to just to get it past the awkward nape stage, then you can reassess if you can afford to cut down the frequency of SMT treatments without compromising the health of your hair :thumbsup:

I really hope this works out in the long-term for you! SMTs was how I manage to stretch my trims even with the horrendous state of my hair

xoxosmile
July 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I did this with the Macadamia Oil repair mask on Saturday and it was amazing, my hair has never been so shiny and silky! Since I have a bit of protein overload I clarified first, then left it on for about 3 hours.
Lovely!
Since my hair is still a little bit brittle I'm doing a few more this week. I'm going to do this again today and wednseday with 3MM, possibly with a bit of EVOO or SAO mixed in (I will post my results with that as well) then again with the Macadamia on Friday since I've got a party on Saturday and I love the smell of it!

Ingredients/Brands used:
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque (feelunique.co.uk)
Sainsbury's Runny Honey (Sainsbury's!)
Life Plan 99% Aloe Vera Gel (Boots)
10 secs in microwave, smothered on clarified hair, left under a shower cap + towel for 3 hours, then rinsed out.

Lippytoes
July 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Doing my second SMT because I wanted to pamper my hair a bit. :)

I used four parts Garnier Triple Nutrition, one part AVG, and one part closest-Finnish-equivalent-to-molasses. I spritzed my hair with water before applying this time, which definitely made it easier to coat my hair with the SMT.

Now I'm going to (try to) work on my thesis for a while, with the SMT sitting on my head. Feels silly sitting around with a plastic bag and a massive Calorimetry on my head (the headwrap is for extra warmth - and wow is it warm here!) - but there's no one to see me, and my hair will thank me for it. :D Hope it turns out good!

kidari
July 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Ohmygoodness I just tried this over the weekend! Wow. I used Aussie 3 minute miracle, Fruit of the Earth aloe, organic honey... let me just say it smelled amazing and the scent lingered in my hair until my next wash. My hair felt soft, shiny, bouncey, and the most suprising best part of all: thicker and tons of volume... it air dried like I got the best blowout of my life. It's a miracle, you don't know how much I crave volume. For SMT alone I am so thankful I found LHC.

jujube
July 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Troubleshooting: Why does my hair come out weird after I SMT? I just did one this morning (on unwashed hair), thought I rinsed it well, but... hair feels stiff and tangles/mats easily. Should I have rinsed more? Washed my hair prior? It's the third time my hair comes out this weird after I try it... I think it used to like it more than that.

mishan81
July 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Can't wait to try this!!

lillylonghair
July 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Troubleshooting: Why does my hair come out weird after I SMT? I just did one this morning (on unwashed hair), thought I rinsed it well, but... hair feels stiff and tangles/mats easily. Should I have rinsed more? Washed my hair prior? It's the third time my hair comes out this weird after I try it... I think it used to like it more than that.

Hhmmm are you using just plain aloe vera,nothing added? Do you heat the honey enough? Did you shampoos and conditioner(or however you cleanse) afterwards?

jujube
July 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
My aloe vera is 96% pure, only preservatives added, and I use it regularly as a light-hold gel without any problems. I thought the honey was only supposed to be heated if we didn't want the lightening effects? Which I don't mind, so I never heated my SMTs. I'm CO so no, I didn't shampoo or condition afterwards, I thought we were just supposed to rinse it out??

islandboo
July 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM

I usually shampoo first so there is no buildup to interfere with the SMT. I lightly towel dry so my hair isn't drippy wet, add the SMT, put it up in a shower cap and turban (for heat) and then rinse really well (they seem to need a LOT of rinsing for me). I don't use 'poo or conditioner after.

(And I see you are CO: doing that beforehand should do the same as my 'poo)

islandboo
July 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Oh, and I don't heat my honey either - I had trouble with clumping when I did so I stopped and just leave the SMT on for a couple hours or less.

GlassWidow
July 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM

I had the same problem yesterday with texture. Luckily I was just going to the beach, so I bunned it and then washed again at the end of the day (I usually CO, but went with no-sulphate shampoo yesterday since that's what my mom had at her house). I concluded that the texture problem was because I should have rinsed a lot more, since my hair is quite happy today.

jujube
July 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
That was my impression as well. Next time I'll try I'll make sure to rinse more, and I'll report back.

celebriangel
July 6th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Jujube, do you use cones in your normal CO routine? If so, they may be interfering with the SMT. I would clarify first, then do another SMT.

jujube
July 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
No, I don't use cones. I clarify regularly so it's not a build-up issue. Unless maybe hair that has been protein'd doesn't like SMT? Next time I'll make sure to wash my hair CW and then use SMT as a second C, and rinse it out really well. If there's still a problem it's probably my rinsing time.

Jing
July 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Tried it for the first time today. Don't know if the conditioner I used was all that suited (Dove Intense Repair, we actually got it for my fiancé), but it was all I had. At first, my hair came out really crunchy, but looked good. It's been a few hours and it's magically starting to feel a lot softer, though I've done nothing to it after it dried.

Narya
July 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I did my first SMT the on Sunday, with organic honey and my recently bought AVG (and, of course, conditioner), put it on dry hair and left it for one hour and a half. At first I didn't notice any difference to my usual CO, but as the days go by I see more and more changes: my hair feels cleaner, is softer and less stiff (it wasn't stiff at all, but now it's even less, I don't know how to explain), shinier, frizzes less and holds way better on updos...

It's amazing! :O

kitcatsmeow
July 10th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Tried this today first time. Sub 1/2 the honey for coconut oil. Used Aussie 3mm. LEft on for an hour, covered with plastic cap. Followed by ACV rinse. AWESOME!

GingerSnapO
July 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Just tried my 1st SMT and I got some clumping that didn't rinse out of my hair very well. I followed the original recipe with VO5 Calming Tea conditioner, store brand bear jar honey, and Trader Joe's 99% aloe gel.

I did a heavy oiling overnight, so I got that out with conditioner, then clarified, then went down to mix up my SMT and kept that on for about an hour or hour and a half.

My hair is still pretty soggy right now, but I'll see how it does tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

swetiepeti
July 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
did for the first time today. Half cup Garnier Fructis Length and Strength, half cup Portico Spa White Ginger conditioner (awesome smell), quarter cup aloe gel, scant quarter cup honey, teaspoon cocanut oil . Left on one hour. Was nervous as was going out for dinner party for anniversery, but came out soft and with nice shne. Did not heat the honey as I would not mind a bit of lightening, but did not appear to lighten. Perhaps because I did not leave on long enough or did not heat on my head. Been CO washing every other day, will make one of them a SMT I think with the same format as it seemed to work quite well.

swetiepeti
July 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM
PS. pre and post rinse with beer

GingerSnapO
July 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Just tried my 1st SMT and I got some clumping that didn't rinse out of my hair very well. I followed the original recipe with VO5 Calming Tea conditioner, store brand bear jar honey, and Trader Joe's 99% aloe gel.

I did a heavy oiling overnight, so I got that out with conditioner, then clarified, then went down to mix up my SMT and kept that on for about an hour or hour and a half.

My hair is still pretty soggy right now, but I'll see how it does tomorrow. Fingers crossed!My ends definitely seem more moisturized than before I did the treatment.

Nightdragon
July 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Just finished my first ever SMT using 1 cup Tresemme Cone free naturals moisture conditioner, 1/4 cup clear alcohol free aloe gel and pure honey from my bees. I left it on my head for two and a half hours while I watched Weeds and WOW!!! My hair feels awesome!!! NEVER again will I buy the expensive treatments that never do as they say! (LIARS!!!) But this was wonderful! Soft, shiny and happy and this is on dry damaged hair! I can hardly wait to try it after being hennafied!!! Yay for SMT!!! I'm addicted!! :happydance:

Mutinous
July 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Well you are supposed to rinse it out so it shouldn't be an issue.

That being said,when I started doing smts it helped me stop heat styling b/c it made my waves and naturasl texture come out.

Thank you for the reply, only just noticed it. As stupid as it sounds, I didn't realise you washed it out, I thought it was like a leave in conditioner. Fail on my part!

PinkyCat
July 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I did my first SMT last night - and I got lightening! :tmi:
I heated the mixture for plenty of time - it was actually too hot to handle and I had to let it cool down. I left it on for an hour & a half. It's really great stuff as far as conditioning - but I think I'll leave out the honey next time.

It's OK - I need to do a whole head color application soon anyway - but man, I didn't expect it to leech the color so quickly. Does the aloe have lightening properties too? I mixed some with my LI today so I hope not! :eek:

jaquelines
July 21st, 2011, 05:59 PM
In the list of conditioners who work well, honeysuckle rose was listed as being problematic. Too thin?? I don't understand - HSR is much more thicker than VO5.
Has anyone experienced problems in this matter?
I had the best results with it.
@pinkycat - I doubt it is aloe.

chenille
July 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I did my first SMT yesterday. Good results, I think! I used generic bear-bottle honey, FOTE aloe, and conditioner I got at Whole Foods...it's the citrus based kind of their house brand.

I prepared the SMT first - nuked the honey by itself for about 20-30 seconds (until it started bubbling) then added the aloe and conditioner. It wasn't perfectly smooth but I didn't have any large lumps or curds. I did a clarifying wash, then squeezed out most of the water, put on the SMT, and wrapped my head in plastic wrap and a towel turban. It probably wasn't as warm as it could have been, but I can always work on that next time.

Left it in for an hour, rinsed well and let it dry. Results: well, it didn't magically fix any damage. I'm still prone to tangles, especially at the ends. But I definitely noticed a difference in shine. DH said my hair seemed "glossy." And as a couple of other people have mentioned on this thread, buns are a little trickier to keep secure because my hair just wants to slither free.

Good stuff! I think I'll do this a couple of times a month. Maybe weekly in winter.

Jenw777
July 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
After reading this I had to go slather my head.

I usually get pretty good results, but forget to do it.

C.H.
July 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm about to do an SMT. But I really do not want to lighten my hair. Are we sure zapping the honey in the microwave will fully prevent this? I do have some karo syrup I could substitute, but will that give me all the same benefits as honey? I am reluctant to substitute anything in a formula that has worked so well for so many if that will make it less effective. And why exactly is it that the karo can't/won't lighten. Sorry, I'm sure all the answers I'm looking for are contained somewhere in this thread, but I don't have time just now to read through it.

WittyWordsmith
July 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
C.H., you could leave the honey out if you're that worried. I've read that Agave Nectar has worked as a replacement, though.

islandboo
July 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm about to do an SMT. But I really do not want to lighten my hair. Are we sure zapping the honey in the microwave will fully prevent this? I do have some karo syrup I could substitute, but will that give me all the same benefits as honey? I am reluctant to substitute anything in a formula that has worked so well for so many if that will make it less effective. And why exactly is it that the karo can't/won't lighten. Sorry, I'm sure all the answers I'm looking for are contained somewhere in this thread, but I don't have time just now to read through it.

From Wikipedia:

Hydrogen peroxide is formed in a slow-release manner by the enzyme glucose oxidase present in honey. It becomes active only when honey is diluted, requires oxygen to be available for the reaction (thus it may not work under wound dressings, in wound cavities or in the gut), is active only when the acidity of honey is neutralized by body fluids, can be destroyed by the protein-digesting enzymes present in wound fluids, and is destroyed when honey is exposed to heat and light(my bolding)

islandboo
July 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
By the way, I have stopped heating my honey because it seemed to be causing clumping and I have seen no lightening. Also I found this information on one of ktani's summaries:

Conditioner is no longer recommended to be included in honey lightening recipes. Conditioner is too acidic for most honeys and the spices, (it can reduce the optimal pH needed for a honey to produce peroxide), can contain ingredients that interfere with honey lightening, and its water content (most conditioners are 70-90% water), if used as part of the new dilution, can effectively reduce the amount of water needed

So I think you will be safe using heated honey in a conditioner-rich mixture.

GRU
July 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
You can also use honey powder, corn syrup, or molasses. I've used all of them (plus regular old honey from the cute little bear bottle) with good success, and I've never noticed any lightening at all.

C.H.
July 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
C.H., you could leave the honey out if you're that worried. I've read that Agave Nectar has worked as a replacement, though.

Being a bartender, I happen to have agave nectar onhand as well. Hmm.

Thanks for the info islandboo!

PinkyCat
July 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
OMG - it backfired on me badly. I think I overdid it.
I've been mixing aloe into my leave-in over the last couple days - my hair is so angry now. Dry and freaked out. :brains:

Mingle
July 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Hm. I have yet to rty this, but when I do, I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes.

By the way, GNC (General Nutrition Centers, a vitamin and protein store) carries jojoba and other oils as well as aloe vera juice and gel in big bottles. About/

archel
July 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I want to try a deep treatment with SMT without the honey. I do not want to take any chances with lightening my hair or my recent henna. I do have some glycerin and I have shea oil (not butter, the oil) and argan oil. I also have some aloe vera gel although I noticed it has some alcohol. If I use it with the oils do you think that will matter? What ratios would you mix this stuff in? I would be mixing this with Suave Naturals Clarifying Conditioner.

chines3885
July 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I just did my first SMT and I love it!

I put coconut oil in my hair last night. On dry but oily hair today, I put on my SMT mixture. I used 4:1:1 tablespoons and had to mix up an additional batch!

1 T honey (it was a gift, so homemade)
1 T FOTE aloe gel
4 T Vo5 tea tree/chamomile conditioner

I was really leary about using honey. Won't it be a sticky? How on earth is it going to slide along the hair? But it mixed right up w/ the other ingredients. I nuked the mix for 10 secs and mixed again. It was about the consistency of applesauce :). And then just started glopping on my hair, starting on the ends and working up to the scalp. It felt so awesome, warm and smooth. I think the honey made the other parts just thick enough to adhere to the hair. I piled the hair into a bun and put a shoppin back on my head. I haven't put anything warm on the bag, just using the heat of my head. I love it so much.

When I washed the mixture off my hands, I didn't have to use soap or cleanser to get my hands clean.

This is just the coolest thing ever! :)

Vlientje
July 26th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I will try this somewhere this week! Gonna go look for Aloe Vera gel this afternoon or tomorrow :D I hope they have the Fruit of the Earth in Holland as well.

Does it matter what honey I use?

gabee
July 26th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I did my first SMT yesterday, and it felt amazing!!! My hair is soooo soft :D I used Aubrey Organics pure Aloe vera, amber honey (unpasteurized) and Tresseme Naturals Moisture condish.

Vlientje: I would probably used unpasteurized honey.

PinkyCat
July 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Man. I'm so shocked that my hair detested the aloe so much. I did a protein treatment last night & things are looking better now. But wow. Bummer. :(

mrs.bad85
July 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM
wow since I have started doing this it's like I have a whole new head of hair!

Can anyone recommend a suave naturals that has a less intense scent?

Vlientje
July 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Vlientje: I would probably used unpasteurized honey.
Hmz I can't find that. Let's hope for the best with normal honey! *excited*

I just hennaed my hair, so I will wash it in a few days.. And then after a few days I will try this! *can't waiit*

Angel_099
July 30th, 2011, 01:36 PM
:cheese::):cheese::):cheese::):cheese::):cheese:

This was AMAZING!!!! I tried it for the first time yesterday and used FOTE AVG, Kroger Clover Honey, and Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple Conditioner...it made my hair soooooo soft and shiny! WOW!:D I just guestimated on the measurements, but used a couple tablespoons each of honey and AVG, then added what I thought looked like 8 tablespoons of conditioner. I didn't heat mine up--just mixed it well with my fingers and applied to dry hair (washed 24 hours before). I got it really saturated w/ the mixture, then gently combed through it...I could already feel my texture transforming to silk...and then put plastic wrap over it and wrapped it in a towel. I left it on for an hour and then rinsed really well with warm/hot water. I didn't brush it out until it was completely dry and results were awesome! Can't wait to do this one again!!

catiebloo
July 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Is there anything i can use in place of Honey in this DT?

I know it's maybe a silly thing to be worried about, but i do an SMT roughly once a week/fortnight and i'm concerned about the lightening effect of honey on my henna. Just wondering if i can switch it with something else??

MidnightStar
July 30th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I am curious about this as well...molasses, maybe? Or is that just too much? I just got my color where I want it, and I don't want it getting any lighter...
Isn't there something about warming the honey that kills the potential lightning qualities? Or did I dream that up?

catiebloo
July 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I think i remember the heating honey thing as well, but i'm having a horrible fibro fog day so can't think where it was...

Also i currently use Inecto coconut condish to do my SMT but i really hate the smell of it...just smells horribly synthetic to me, so i'm doing mine tomorrow with Garnier Triple Nutrition! *Excited*

GRU
July 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Heating the honey in the microwave on its own first will kill off the peroxide.

You can also use other sugary things -- molasses, corn syrup (Karo).

You can also use glycerin (another humectant).

I've had trouble with my SMTs being too runny in the past, so I bought some honey powder to use -- less moisture in the mix.

MidnightStar
July 31st, 2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks, GRU! I must admit the idea of using molasses intrigues me...it's so much thicker than honey, though, so I think I'll start with using honey (heated to kill the peroxide - does anyone know how long to heat to accomplish this?) and then depending on how that works out, experiment with molasses, as it's something that's always in my kitchen anyway. I think I just like the idea of matching dark hair with dark sugary substance. :D

GRU
July 31st, 2011, 05:51 AM
You're very welcome!

As for nuking the honey, 30 seconds up to one minute is plenty, although lightening related to an SMT is very unlikely b/c of the pH levels, etc.

If you like the idea of using molasses, check out the caramel treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=454) too!

Mesmerise
July 31st, 2011, 06:39 AM
I think as long as you heat the honey till it's bubbling, you'll kill any peroxide. Most enzymes denature over 40ish degrees (Celcius that is... so something over 100F...) and therefore heating it until it's bubbling should well and truly kill any peroxide!

I usually heat mine on the stove until it's bubbly (doesn't take long) and then put it on my hair nice and warm! (Not too hot though :D).

catiebloo
July 31st, 2011, 01:18 PM
So i tried this today with the garnier Fructis triple nutrition, Aloe gel i normally use and some Pine honey. I also added some EVOO and some rosemary essential oil to it.

I wased it out with a teeny blob of sulphate poo and when i unwrapped my towel my hair was filled with lots of little white stringy pieces of i don't know what. It looks like egg white.

Also i got a tonne of fallout!

What the heck happened?!

I usualy use inecto conditioner, pine honey and aloe gel with a bit of coconut oil added and a smelly oil if there's one to hand and have never had this reaction :(

GRU
July 31st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Some conditioners seem to "curdle" in this recipe.... I don't know if there's a specific ingredient reaction or what, though.

catiebloo
July 31st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Oh no, just my luck that it'd curdle on me! Never mind, my hair is still fabulous! :D

MidnightStar
July 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks to all for answering my questions about heating up the honey! And GRU, I've read some of the caramel treatment thread...I really liked the idea of it, but was worried it might be too heavy for my fine hair. Maybe I could modify it somehow...hmm. I will be like a crazy chemist in the kitchen, mixing up all of my hair potions!! :stirpot:

GRU
July 31st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks to all for answering my questions about heating up the honey! And GRU, I've read some of the caramel treatment thread...I really liked the idea of it, but was worried it might be too heavy for my fine hair. Maybe I could modify it somehow...hmm. I will be like a crazy chemist in the kitchen, mixing up all of my hair potions!! :stirpot:

And we have a bona fide LHCer! Pulled another one over to The Dark Side! :luke:

whitestiletto
July 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Does anyone just mix aloe and honey into their conditioner, for regular shower use?

I mixed aloe and conditioner half and half in the shower today and my hair is very slippy (however I also just hennaed so I'm sure that contributed).

MidnightStar
July 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM
And we have a bona fide LHCer! Pulled another one over to The Dark Side! :luke:

Yes, that's me! :D

Does anyone just mix aloe and honey into their conditioner, for regular shower use?

I mixed aloe and conditioner half and half in the shower today and my hair is very slippy (however I also just hennaed so I'm sure that contributed).

I love this idea!

Vlientje
August 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM
What would happen if I don't heat up the honey? Then I don't *kill* the peroxide.. So it would always lighten my hair? I would love to keep on doing full-head-henna-treatments cause it's so much easier than just do roots.. But I am afraid I will end up with way too dark hair. But MAYBE if I keep on using cold SMT, it might just work to stop henna from making my hair get darker..

Anyone have experiences with this? And it is bad to do it like this, having peroxide on my hair every week..? (Since that is the plan, to do a weekly SMT :D)

jaquelines
August 1st, 2011, 07:49 AM
I am not an expert, but I have just started doing honey lightening. I haven´t noticed much difference, but it makes my hair feel nice, so I keep doing it. No damages so far. And even if the peroxide is ligthening your hair, (if and on those where it worked out), I think the amount is so small, that unless your hair gets dry from it, it shouldn´t be damages. Maybe on loooong loooong term like years and very often usage, but I started doing henna as well, also afraid of getting darker, as I want to try getting a cooper color so I can mix with pink semi-permanent dye ( kind of the style of Cezara-Lucia Vlădescu, I posted a thread about her ) and I will use regularry the honey ligthening treatment.
PLUS , the big PLUS which actually is more like your case : I have been using SMT over a year, after each wash ( every 3rd day approx ) , I have never heaten up the honey and my hair couldn´t be smoothier. No problems in my case so far.
A few people here got a bit ligthening due to the SMT without heated honey. Acording to ktani, if you use conditioner in your honey, the chances that the peroxide will develop is almost zero. And another PLUS : you have aloe vera , vitamin c, which is inhibiting the peroxide release.
If you really want to try to ligthen your hair, I would reccomand you to use ktani´s method, as at least in my case and as well as what most people here experienced, SMT won´t really lighten your hair.
I used so far 4 times the honey ligthening treatment in the past 2 weeks and as mentioned, my hair is only feeling softer and smoothier. Maybe it didn´t changed my hair color very much ( I did had a pretty intense pinkish color, almost to red ) , but the benefits .. ?:cheese:

Vlientje
August 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM
Omg I can't wait to have such soft hair toooo! :D Maybe I will already do it now anyway, I was going to wait 1 wash because I have done henna 2 days ago.. But I am just SO excited because of all these posts in this thread!! :D

So okay, I shouldn't really hope on this to actually really lighten it. Right now it is still ok, does not need to be lighter. So I guess I will just wait and see what multiple henna treatments do, if it starts getting too dark, I'll just start to do roots-only.

Thanks for your post, was really helpful :D

jaquelines
August 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM
Omg I can't wait to have such soft hair toooo! :D Maybe I will already do it now anyway, I was going to wait 1 wash because I have done henna 2 days ago.. But I am just SO excited because of all these posts in this thread!! :D

So okay, I shouldn't really hope on this to actually really lighten it. Right now it is still ok, does not need to be lighter. So I guess I will just wait and see what multiple henna treatments do, if it starts getting too dark, I'll just start to do roots-only.

Thanks for your post, was really helpful :D

I´m glad I could help ! :)

GRU
August 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Lightening from SMTs would be minimal, if anything, due to the pH levels and other ingredients throwing the peroxide off-kilter.

GlassWidow
August 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM
I did a cold SMT this weekend because it was just too hot out to think about microwaving! :lol: It rinsed out well, and I didn't notice any damage.

I used the Garnier Fructis Pure Clean in my mix (first time I'd used it ever), and my hair felt so good. I think it was better than GFTN, at least for this application (is that even possible?)

C.H.
August 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
I think as long as you heat the honey till it's bubbling, you'll kill any peroxide. Most enzymes denature over 40ish degrees (Celcius that is... so something over 100F...) and therefore heating it until it's bubbling should well and truly kill any peroxide!

I usually heat mine on the stove until it's bubbly (doesn't take long) and then put it on my hair nice and warm! (Not too hot though :D).

You're right, that was absurdly quick. I won't bother with microwave in the future. Thanks for the tip.

C.H.
August 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
SMT in my hair right now. I am so excited.

xovictoryxo
August 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
wanted to report that peach suave condish is great with this treatment and smells delish

GRU
August 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM
SMT in my hair right now. I am so excited.

And????

We're waiting, little missy!!!! ;)

C.H.
August 1st, 2011, 10:30 PM
And????

We're waiting, little missy!!!! ;)

I don't know yet! My hair's still wet. It takes forever to dry. I will say when I took the shower cap off I was amazed at how much my hair absorbed. I completely saturated it, but you never would have known by what was left. So that's a good sign. I have no doubt my hair was well moisturized, which is what I was going for.

GRU
August 2nd, 2011, 05:35 AM
I don't know yet! My hair's still wet. It takes forever to dry. I will say when I took the shower cap off I was amazed at how much my hair absorbed. I completely saturated it, but you never would have known by what was left. So that's a good sign. I have no doubt my hair was well moisturized, which is what I was going for.

*waits not-so-patiently*

;)

ChristyM
August 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
My first try with SMT. I'm excited to see how it works. Will right back.

Rustella
August 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I am embarassed to say that although I've been here for some time and have known about SMT for some time, this is the first time I've tried it. I have SMT (in it's original recipe with nothing added) in my hair right now, and so does DD.

See you in a few hours to let you know how we turned out.
:pray:

UPDATE: My hair turned out very soft and fluffy. I air dryed it without putting anything in it. I cannot remember the last time I did that so I wasn't sure if it was the treatment or just the airdrying without the use of cones. So today I CO washed it, and again let it air dry. I added just a few drops of pure jojoba oil, first wet then dry. It was not nearly as soft and fluffy as when I did the SMT, so I will definately be doing this again. My daughter said she did not notice much of a difference in her hair (she did it was well, but only left hers in for half and hour whereas I left mine in for a few hours). She let her hair air dry afterwards, but put mouse in it first. I think her hair did look softer though.

C.H.
August 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
*waits not-so-patiently*

;)

I finally had to just go to bed with it still partially wet. Then woke up late, ran out the door to and just now finally went into the bathroom and got to take a good look at it. I'm pleased with the results. It's hard to pinpoint specific differences in my hair as this is only my second time letting it go curly and it's all still new to me. But the curls definitely look very well moistured with nice shine and they are more lively with a little more volume and bounce than before.

The SMT was immediately prior to CG take 2, so I did quite a few things differently this time around in addition to the SMT. It's hard to say for sure just what effect was specifically from the SMT as opposed to the other changes, but the overall results are good and I'm sure the SMT has something to do with it. Simply seeing how much of the mixture my hair absorbed sold me on it...my hair was clearly getting what it needed.

ChristyM
August 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
My hair is still wet, but feels extremely soft. Will check back when completely dry.

GRU
August 2nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Simply seeing how much of the mixture my hair absorbed sold me on it...my hair was clearly getting what it needed.

It really is amazing how much better our hair behaves when we feed it the things it needs! :D

archel
August 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Well, after being tired of the DRY, I am sitting here with an SMT and a bag on my head. I sure hope I nuked it long enough that the honey doesn't lighten my hair. I can't believe how easily it spread through my hair. Who would have thought honey could feel so amazing! Wish me luck guys and dolls!

archel
August 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Is an ACV rinse recommended after the SMT?

theodora
August 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
An ACV rinse is good after an SMT, but not always a necessity. I did an SMT last night and did not do an ACV rinse for once, as I'd run out of it and couldn't really be bothered to mix a new batch. The result was still pretty amazing.
So amazing, that I am considering doing SMTs every wash from now on, or maybe just every week. My hair has been feeling extra-thirsty since doing a chemical semi-permanent dye a week and a half ago.

archel
August 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I skipped the ACV rinse because I never remember to mix it up up until I'm in the shower. Regardless, holy HECK. My hair is sooooo healthy and silky feeling and without being weighed down, which is really easy to do with my thick but fine hair. I am going to do this on a regular basis - it is so much cheaper than buying pricey reconstructors!

archel
August 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Holy moly! I didn't even use any oil on it after drying and it's easier to French braid because my velcro ends are not sticking together so I can separate the hair easier. This is fantastic!

Aloe vera - $2.50
Honey - $1.98
Conditioner - already had it

Nearly endless deep moisture treatments for pennies each - this is GREAT. I LOVE LHC!! I'm doing the CHEESE DANCE

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

GRU
August 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Well, I skipped the ACV rinse because I never remember to mix it up up until I'm in the shower.

I just mix it IN the shower! (I'd never remember to do it otherwise... I am NOT a morning person AT ALL)

Old water bottle (half-liter) full of ACV sitting on the edge of the tub. One-liter plastic cup, stored upside down on the bottle of ACV. Every shower, I just put a splash of ACV in the cup and add shower-water and voila! :D

Glad that you are both so thrilled with the SMT results! Here's some more dancing cheese: :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Cowgirl16
August 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=GRU;1721259]
Old water bottle (half-liter) full of ACV sitting on the edge of the tub. One-liter plastic cup, stored upside down on the bottle of ACV. Every shower, I just put a splash of ACV in the cup and add shower-water and voila! :D

I haven't done a ACV rinse before because it seemed like a pain.this is a good idea; I might have to try it:)

GRU
August 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I haven't done a ACV rinse before because it seemed like a pain.this is a good idea; I might have to try it:)

I'm not even close to being human until about two hours after I get up in the morning... no way in hell I'd remember to gather all the necessary materials before jumping in the shower! Heck, even with the ingredients and containers right there, I've been known to forget to do it! :doh:

hypersensitive
August 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
Don't you love the feeling you get when you are rinsing it off and your hair already feels like the softest silkiest thing ever? Even when it's still running under the water? That's how you know this stuff works! I LOVE SMT!

Lippytoes
August 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM
SMTs are the shizzle! I did one last night again (accompanied by an ACV rinse), and gosh, it's amazing what moisture does to my hair. In addition to the awesome softness, it feels like my colour is so much more defined, you know? Every single hair seems to have so much more shine, and the reddish tinge in my hair seems more pronounced in the sunlight. :cheese: (Also, my two silver hairs are more shimmery!)

CastaDiva
August 4th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I do SMTs on a regular basis, and it`s one of my favourite treatments. My hair seems to love all the moisture:) It gives me great shine and softness, definately a keeper.

1hunky5monkeys
August 4th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I mixed up then microwaved just until warm--

1 part Tresseme Naturals Conditioner
1/4 Fruit of the Earth clear aloe vera gel
1/4 fresh honey that has honeycomb in it

Washed my hair with Giovanni clarifying, rinsed well, removed water, and applied smt. Clipped up, shower cap. Left on for 1 hour. As I was rinsing it out, I noticed small, white rubbery particles in my hair. Now that my hair is dry they are still noticeable if I try to find them. I rinsed with warm water- could that be the problem? I followed with a vinegar rinse with cold water.
On the other hand, I love the way my hair reacted to the smt! My waves are very wavy, defined and so soft!

bigred199
August 5th, 2011, 12:03 AM
As I was rinsing it out, I noticed small, white rubbery particles in my hair. Now that my hair is dry they are still noticeable if I try to find them. I rinsed with warm water- could that be the problem? I followed with a vinegar rinse with cold water.
On the other hand, I love the way my hair reacted to the smt! My waves are very wavy, defined and so soft!

I had this same problem when I used Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel. The white stuff was really, really noticeable, maybe because my hair's darker than yours. Strangely, I used Fruit of the Earth last week for an SMT with no problems. So yeah, I don't know what the white stuff's about, but I hate it!

By the way, I love your hair -- it's gorgeous!

Sundial
August 5th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I had this same problem when I used Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel. The white stuff was really, really noticeable, maybe because my hair's darker than yours. Strangely, I used Fruit of the Earth last week for an SMT with no problems. So yeah, I don't know what the white stuff's about, but I hate it!

It's just some reaction within the SMT itself. I think there was a list of conditioners/aloe/honey with corresponding problems. It seems that conditioners with protein were more likely to curdle I think. You may want to try the SMT with another conditioner and see if that helps. I've experienced this before with some conditioners (including Garnier Triple Nutrition) but the problem was solved when I swtched conditioners

catiebloo
August 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I had the curdling problem with Garnier Triple Nutrition too.

bigred199
August 5th, 2011, 08:02 AM
It's just some reaction within the SMT itself. I think there was a list of conditioners/aloe/honey with corresponding problems. It seems that conditioners with protein were more likely to curdle I think. You may want to try the SMT with another conditioner and see if that helps. I've experienced this before with some conditioners (including Garnier Triple Nutrition) but the problem was solved when I swtched conditioners

Ohhhhhh! I had searched on this topic before but apparently not very faithfully. We're having a girls night tonight and I'm doing SMTs on my sisters, so this is good to know! I'd hate for their first SMT experience to end in a head full of curdled white bits.

1hunky5monkeys
August 5th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Thank you bigred199. :flower:

And thank you to the others for your info. I will try a more suitable conditioner next time.

MidnightStar
August 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Okay, I currently am doing a variation on the SMT. Here's the recipe:
3/4 cup (approx) Aussie 3MM
1 tbsp Morrocco Method oil
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tbsp salt (what can I say, my hair seems to love this stuff)
4 tbsp Rainbow black henndigo

I warmed the 3MM, oil and molasses for 45 seconds, then added the salt and henna. Applied to damp hair, shower cap and turbie twister, and I'm going to try to leave it on for 2 hours.
I guess what I'm actually doing is more like a henndigo gloss rather than a true moisture treatment. I'm hoping to darken the color because it seems to have faded in the last week or so. But I will say that the SMT ingredients made the henna smell so much better!
I was also kinda surprised how much 3MM I used - honestly, I probably could've easily used the entire bottle, and I don't even feel like I have that much hair! So I guess for next time, unless I decide I totally LOVE the 3MM, I'll get a cheaper conditioner.

MidnightStar
August 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Okay, update: I left it on for just over an hour, and then the shower cap started to bug me. Rinsed out in lukewarm water, followed by an ACV rinse and then a quick shot of almost-cold water. It FELT great when I was rinsing it, but I wanted to wait till it was dry; my hair often feels nice and silky when wet, and then when it dries all sorts of weird things happen.
This. Is. AWESOME. Seriously! My hair is shiny and soft without feeling too too slippery. Even my damaged ends feel good! And the color darkened up nicely too. Hmm...now I am wondering if I can just do this to henndigo?
Regardless, this treatment is a keeper! I love it! :D

Vlientje
August 6th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Aaah I got my first SMT in my hair right now! :D I think I overheated it tho, could barely touch it at first, so I guess 10seconds in the microwave would've been enough xD

Gonna leave it in 'till tonight, oh so anxious! :D

americanjan1
August 6th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Did the SMT today. 1T. Honey, 1T. FOTE Aloe Vera Gel and 4T GVP Moisturizing Balm. Sat under shower cap for 45 minutes. Rinsed and felt very dry and rough; normally my hair feels soft. I CO only and do not use cones. Took a lot longer to dry than normal and my waves weren't as defined as usual. Hated the way my hair felt so I did another one without honey. MUCH better. My hair apparently hates honey as much as my skin does. But I do like the aloe and conditioner. I will be using that as a deep treatment.

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Hmm my hair feels quite dry and rough too! I might do the next one without honey as well, maybe my hair hates it too! I was also thinking about adding come coconut oil.

I've let it sit for 9 hours :p

americanjan1
August 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I think the addition of honey is hit or miss. I'm not really sure I know what the aloe gel does for the hair, but the second treatment was much better.

Vlientje
August 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Awesome! I hope I can say the same thing next week!

Hairitic
August 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I've searched the thread to see if there were any pros/cons on Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner and didn't find anything. It's the one I've currently got and was thinking of trying it for an SMT. Anyone try this and have any comments? I also am giving up using my WEN Cleansing Conditioner because of the sulfates and cones in it. :confused: I suppose I could try it with that just to use it up and not waste it?

ChristyM
August 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Update (a little late) - I really loved how soft my hair was, but became oily by the morning. I think next time I will use a lighter conditioner like suave or V05. I used Biolage's conditioning balm.

gilbert-sarah
August 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Where do you find the correct aloe gel?
i tried publix but couldn't find any:(

GRU
August 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Where do you find the correct aloe gel?
i tried publix but couldn't find any:(

Do you have a Walmart? They carry Fruit of the Earth (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797) alongside the obscure hand lotions (NOT in with the suntan lotions).

Vlientje
August 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM
What does the ingredient list on FotE AVG say? Cause I got quite a list and it says 98% AVG, I hope that's good too. Can't get FotE over here. (Or if other Dutchies know where..?)

dmarie16
August 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hmm my hair feels quite dry and rough too! I might do the next one without honey as well, maybe my hair hates it too! I was also thinking about adding come coconut oil.

I've let it sit for 9 hours :p
I have used coconut oil in SMT before and left on overnight. It made my hair incredibly soft but it still felt oily after rinsing so be prepared to wear your hair in a bun or braid until your next wash!:D

GRU
August 9th, 2011, 07:08 AM
What does the ingredient list on FotE AVG say? Cause I got quite a list and it says 98% AVG, I hope that's good too. Can't get FotE over here. (Or if other Dutchies know where..?)

I found this (http://www.harmondiscount.com/071661120246.html) online:

Product Ingredients
Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea.

And then I realized that I have a bottle here at work (:doh:) and the ingredients matched up with my bottle as well.

Basically, it's aloe with stabilizers and preservatives....

archel
August 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I learned an important lesson - do not overheat or you'll get a runny liquid that can spill all over you if you take your little dish out of the microwave too quickly :-/ Had to start all over. Just glad I didn't burn myself! From now on, I heat 5 seconds at a time and stir each time.

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Haha I know that problem, got burnt a little on my hand.. I didn't throw it away, I just added some more conditioner.. Mine probably wasn't that extreme fluid as yours was.

archel
August 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
And to think the difference was only 5 seconds! Holy moly. I'm so glad my cat didn't get burned as she was winding around my feet at the time. You know, like they do...

Vlientje
August 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Haha yyyeeah I know, my cat does the same.. My other cat even tends to jump into the counter, would've been bad..xD I had it in there for 30 seconds!! I am going for 5 the next time too :') Couldn't touch the SMT-mixture for 10 minutes :') (And I was sooo anxious to begin!! :P)

Hairitic
August 9th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks Achel and Vlientje for the warnings about overheating the SMT. I'll be doing my first treatment tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to heat 5 secs at a time and stir each time and check temp before heating again. ;) I got my Henna in today and I'm so excited! My friend is going to apply it for me Friday morning. So, by Friday afternoon, I should be a smouldering dark redhead! :cheese:

Angel_099
August 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I've got my second SMT sitting on my head right now. I just did the same mix I did last time since it worked out so well! (Suave Juicy Green Apple conditioner-8 tblsp, FOTE AVG-2 tblsp, and Kroger Clover Honey-2 tblsp). I don't heat mine up, since I have read a lot of others on this thread do the same. Just mixed it around well with my fingers, applied to dry hair, combed through, and will leave on one hour before rinsing. I am SO happy to have found out about this incredible DT!! I want to tell everyone I know...except I'm worried about it not working as well for them since everyone's hair is so different. Newbies or lurkers...if you are reading about this--you have got to try it! :)

Mezer3000
August 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone!

Been reading the forums loads, but only recently joined!
Am thinking of doing an SMT for the first time tonight, but I don't have any aloe gel. I do have aloe butter though, would this work if I melted it down a bit? :confused:

Bry x

prettykitty
August 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I've been messing around with SMT for awhile now....the fascinating thing for me is that a different condish can yield completely different results!
I've used cone-free protein-y conditioners with no issue (but my hair loves protein!), but in recent times have gone searching for moisturising condish to amp up the moisture....I got some Yes to Carrots Moisturising Condish, but I'm not sure how my hair feels about it yet.
When I run out of that, I'm gonna try to bag some Inecto Coconut oil Condish, I tried that in SMT and it was epic! But, it was also the last of the bottle. Oddly, as rockin' as it is for SMT, for me it is crap as just plain conditioner.

Hairitic
August 11th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Well; I completed my first SMT yesterday with a ACV rinse afterwards. I can't say I'm overly impressed. :rolleyes: My hair does feel nice but not really much more so than when I do my usual WEN Conditioning cleanser or a CO and ACV rinse although my hair may be laying down a little smoother. Now I will say that I'm also not overly impressed with the new conditioner that I used (Natures Gate Aloe). This is the first time using a non-cone product in a long time. I just got some L'Oreal EverSleek sulfate & cone free Smoothing System Intense Smoothing Conditioner with 48 hr frizz controll that I'll try next time. :?:

colormeindie
August 11th, 2011, 11:54 AM
so um...
how do you heat this up if you dont own a microwave?
they take some nutrients out of food so my family doesn't own one

Anje
August 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I think I've heard of people heating it in a double-boiler. I've also heard of people using a heat cap with it, so you can warm it on your head, too. Honestly, though, it works quite well if it's used cool.

GRU
August 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM
so um...

Do you have a stove? You can heat it on low heat in a saucepan.

(and my understanding is that it's heat in general that takes nutrients out of food, not microwave ovens in particular, so unless you eat a totally raw diet.....)

Hairitic
August 11th, 2011, 12:43 PM
so um...

I didn't actually heat mine before putting it on. i just applied it and then used a blow-fryer cap for heat and when the honey got warmed up, I had SMT running all down my neck and ta tas and I ended up a pretty sticky mess, lol. ;) It's a good thing I was getting in the shower to rinse it out of my hair!

colormeindie
August 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM
ok, great advice! thanks :D

gabee
August 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM
so um...

I just use mine at room temperature, or fill the bottom of the sink with hot water and put my SMT filled cup in it. I think the heat is more to kill the peroxide from the honey (to prevent hair lightening) than anything.

archel
August 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I bet you could do a double boiler kind of thing? Anyway, I only heat it because I'm afraid of my hair getting lighter.

Mezer3000
August 12th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Well seeings as I didn't get a reply, I thought "what the hell" and went for it anyway! :p

I used Aussie Luscious long conditioner, plus a tube of redken All soft silk fuel, some sainsburys squeezey honey, a good dollop of aloe butter, and then a teaspoon each of argan, jojoba and camellia oil. I figured the more nice things the better!

I only heated the honey, and then mixed that in with the rest, slathered it on, put a shower cap on, and a towel round my head and left it on for two hours!

Wow! My hair felt amazing afterwards. It was only through lurking on this site that I started trying different oils, and then this made it feel fab! I reckon i'll do it at least once a fortnight as my hair craves moisture!
Overall very happy hair! :cheese:

MidnightStar
August 12th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Well seeings as I didn't get a reply, I thought "what the hell" and went for it anyway! :p

I used Aussie Luscious long conditioner, plus a tube of redken All soft silk fuel, some sainsburys squeezey honey, a good dollop of aloe butter, and then a teaspoon each of argan, jojoba and camellia oil. I figured the more nice things the better!

I only heated the honey, and then mixed that in with the rest, slathered it on, put a shower cap on, and a towel round my head and left it on for two hours!

Wow! My hair felt amazing afterwards. It was only through lurking on this site that I started trying different oils, and then this made it feel fab! I reckon i'll do it at least once a fortnight as my hair craves moisture!
Overall very happy hair! :cheese:
Glad it worked for you! I was actually about to reply to your original post about using the butter...ha, I thought you were talking about actual butter! :D
Tomorrow is henna/indigo day, so I'm thinking of doing SMT today, as the proteins kinda make it freak out a bit for awhile...maybe having the extra moisture to start with will help.

alliekat
August 12th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry if someone's already said something similar but this thread is OMG huge!

I did my first SMT last night with Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze, bear jar honey, and Fruit of the Earth aloe. I mixed it all then heated it in a double boiler and mixed it again. It wasn't hot in my hand when I poured it out, just warm. My hair is still drying right now, but I can see white specks all in it. Ick!

Plus after smelling this "ocean breeze" all night long, I'm about sick of it! :laugh:

LhasaMom
August 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM
First time trying SMT...

Used Tresseme Natural Moisture with generic honey and CVS clear aloe. I used it on dry hair and then wrapped in cling-wrap and used the heating pad. Left it on for three or so hours.

Hair feels nice, but not a huge huge improvement. But I've (generally) been SLS and -cone free for over a year, plus no heat styling

stacyyyy1972
August 12th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Patrycia: If the honey is leaving you frizzy it says under hints that you can leave it out and just do the aloe and conditioner mix (:

Mezer3000
August 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Glad it worked for you! I was actually about to reply to your original post about using the butter...ha, I thought you were talking about actual butter! :D

haha not actual butter! Just I had some aloe butter that I bought from akoma! I still haven't been able to get hold of clear aloe, not at a reasonable price anyway! :(

Mingle
August 14th, 2011, 12:48 AM
After I oiled with coconut oil overnight, my hair was left dry, frizzy, and tangly. :(

I tried this today, and oh my! It has made my hair very soft indeed! The frizz is definitely still there, but it doesn't feel as dry anymore. Maybe another one ought to do it! This time without honey? Or is honey hydrating?

fashionaddict
August 14th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I did a SMT a few days back, but neglected to post about some pretty amazing results.
I have tried using coconut oil in the mix before, and it yielded nice results, but woha! This time I also put in some EVOO and what slip and shine I got!:cheese:
I know adding EVOO to an SMT is nothing new, but I would encourage more people to try. My F/M was not a greasy mess, although it usually despises EVOO and is not afraid to show its dislike.
My grandmotherish mix consisted of:
a few scrapes of coconut oil
a little bit of EVOO
about a spoonful of honey
condish

Crocus
August 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Add me to the satisfied list of "customers". :)

I put a little coconut oil in my mix because I had it laying around and slept with it in. My hair feels very soft after rinsing it out.

Sundial
August 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
After I oiled with coconut oil overnight, my hair was left dry, frizzy, and tangly. :(

I tried this today, and oh my! It has made my hair very soft indeed! The frizz is definitely still there, but it doesn't feel as dry anymore. Maybe another one ought to do it! This time without honey? Or is honey hydrating?

Honey is a humectant. This means it is hydrating in a humid environment because it pulls moisture from the air, but it can be drying in a dry climate. So it will depend on your climate :)

autumn leaves
August 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I would like to try this out. How do I know if my conditioner has proteins? I know how to identify the cones but am clueless about proteins :o ...

YepLilly
August 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
I would like to try this out. How do I know if my conditioner has proteins? I know how to identify the cones but am clueless about proteins ...

Check for the words hydrolyzed, protein (of course), and aminoacids. Common ones are silk, soy, wheat, rice proteins/aminoacids. Also: keratin, elastin, and collagen, but those are stronger ones and mostly found on heavy protein treatments. HTH :)

Crocus
August 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I would like to try this out. How do I know if my conditioner has proteins? I know how to identify the cones but am clueless about proteins :o ...

There is a list on the site too. Though you should probably check for the things that YepLily says even if it is on the list as things change.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46633

autumn leaves
August 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Great, thanks both of you! :)

catiebloo
August 24th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Has anyone used this SMT recipe as a base for a henna gloss? As in condish, aloe, honey plus henna goo?

I'm thinking about doing this tomorrow, but wondering if it'll work out ok? Maybe i should leave out the honey...?

What do you think?

stacyyyy1972
August 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
My hair loves honey but I've also had good results with olive oil. I use less oil than I would honey, but my hair still benefits from the combination. Sometimes I have to shampoo if I use too much oil, but a good long CO would probably do the trick if that's what you normally do. Hope that helps!

How much olive oil do you use when you substitute for the honey?

Audhumla
August 25th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I just bought a conditioner that has citric acid in it. It's low on the ingredient list but does anyone know if leaving a mix with citric acid in it on my hair for an hour or two or maybe even overnight would cause any problems ?
I've also ordered some camellia oil recently. Has anyone got an opinion or experience with substituting camellia oil for some or all (but using less) of the honey ?

GRU
August 25th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I just bought a conditioner that has citric acid in it. It's low on the ingredient list but does anyone know if leaving a mix with citric acid in it on my hair for an hour or two or maybe even overnight would cause any problems ?

Citric acid is used in small quantities as a preservative. It won't harm your hair.

Audhumla
August 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Citric acid is used in small quantities as a preservative. It won't harm your hair.
Ah ok thanks :). I was wondering after hearing that people used citric acid to rinse their hair with, I thought it was going for some kind of similar effect.

chou
August 25th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hey all, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I experienced lots of curdling with V05 Free Me Freesia, which is on the list of conditioners that are supposed to work. It may have curdled because it contains protein (hydrolyzed keratin). I heated it over a bain marie as well, which may have contributed to the problem. But after I rinsed out the chunks my hair was soft and fully recovered from some post-henna dryness :)

Zesty
August 31st, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hey all, I just wanted to say that today I did my best SMT yet, using Tresemme Naturals conditioner (the moisturizing one -- aloe vera and avocado, I think?). In the past I've used Suave and VO5, and both left me rinsing little white bits out of my hair for a good 20 minutes afterwards. This time there were no white bits, it rinsed fairly easily, and now that it's fully dry, my hair is so very soft and shiny. I also have far fewer tangles (even without cones!), which tends to happen when I've recently done an SMT. I may buy more of this conditioner just to use as a deep conditioner in my SMTs! Hurray! :D

2vette2camaro
September 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I have been using this treatment for quite some time and now the last few times I have used it it has NOT worked. Do you think my hair has gotten "used" to it and it will no longer work? I have changed my diet, eating a more natural organic diet with more fruits, veggies, real food, gotten rid of white sugar, white flour, white rice, for the most part coffee and a bunch of other things. I have also lost 23 pounds. My hair has grown to 34 inches, but I just wonder why this SMT is no longer working. This time after it did not work, the next day I blended 1/2 avocado, some EVOO and coconut oil and left that on. I had to shampoo 3 times to get it out but it seemed to work (this was the first time ever for using that).

Any thoughts?

justgreen
September 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I don't mind those little white bits, they are just conditioner and they 'melt' right into your hair as it's air drying, or if you use a blow dryer.

everstar
September 5th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Is it me or is V05 Sun-Kissed Raspberry very hard to find? I'm in the metro area in Minnesota, USA, and I've been to Target, CVS, and Cub Foods (a grocery chain), none of which had it. It sounds like I'll be able to find it at Wal-Mart, but I dislike shopping there. Are there any fellow locals who know where there might be a secret stash?

In the interim, I've tried SMT with V05 Blackberry Sage, which gelled rather alarmingly with addition of the aloe. I took the plunge anyway, but I think I didn't rinse my hair enough. The experiments will have to continue.

Audhumla
September 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I have been using this treatment for quite some time and now the last few times I have used it it has NOT worked. Do you think my hair has gotten "used" to it and it will no longer work? I have changed my diet, eating a more natural organic diet with more fruits, veggies, real food, gotten rid of white sugar, white flour, white rice, for the most part coffee and a bunch of other things. I have also lost 23 pounds. My hair has grown to 34 inches, but I just wonder why this SMT is no longer working. This time after it did not work, the next day I blended 1/2 avocado, some EVOO and coconut oil and left that on. I had to shampoo 3 times to get it out but it seemed to work (this was the first time ever for using that).

Any thoughts?
Maybe build-up ?
Do you consistently use a cone-rich or protein-rich conditioner for the treatment ? I would say the fact that after you shampood your hair thouroughly (even with the oil in it) you seemed to like it indicates that maybe you did have some build up. Maybe try clarifying and then try a moisturising conditioner with no cones and little or no protein.

C.H.
September 5th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Is it me or is V05 Sun-Kissed Raspberry very hard to find? I'm in the metro area in Minnesota, USA, and I've been to Target, CVS, and Cub Foods (a grocery chain), none of which had it. It sounds like I'll be able to find it at Wal-Mart, but I dislike shopping there. Are there any fellow locals who know where there might be a secret stash?

In the interim, I've tried SMT with V05 Blackberry Sage, which gelled rather alarmingly with addition of the aloe. I took the plunge anyway, but I think I didn't rinse my hair enough. The experiments will have to continue.

I've never been able to find it either.

YepLilly
September 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I have been using this treatment for quite some time and now the last few times I have used it it has NOT worked. Do you think my hair has gotten "used" to it and it will no longer work?

Like Audhumla said, a good clarifying shampoo might help. Many times when something that used to work stops working it means it's time to clarify.

2vette2camaro
September 5th, 2011, 09:03 AM
thanks for the advise. I just don't want to wash any of my pink out. I will clarify next time I shower though, for good measure

2vette2camaro
September 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Maybe build-up ?
Do you consistently use a cone-rich or protein-rich conditioner for the treatment ? I would say the fact that after you shampood your hair thouroughly (even with the oil in it) you seemed to like it indicates that maybe you did have some build up. Maybe try clarifying and then try a moisturising conditioner with no cones and little or no protein.

YES when I do the SMT it is always with a cone conditioner- Suave professionals avocado and she butter. I will try clarifying today and using Suave Citrus Smoothie without cones. How long then do you think I should wait to do the SMT again and do you think I should use a different conditioner in it?

Mairéad
September 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I've been waiting to try this for ages. The question of the hour is: can I heat this on the stove? I don't have a microwave.

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I've been waiting to try this for ages. The question of the hour is: can I heat this on the stove? I don't have a microwave.

Yep -- just keep the heat low, you don't want to boil it or anything.

You can also just warm it in a bowl of hot water... put it in an applicator bottle and let that sit in a bowl or tall glass of hot water and it will warm up pretty quickly.

Mairéad
September 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks, GRU. My tap is so hot I can probably just fill the sink a little and set the container in it.

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks, GRU. My tap is so hot I can probably just fill the sink a little and set the container in it.

That's how I thaw my henna/cassia mixtures... straight from the tap my water is scorching hot too!

Audhumla
September 6th, 2011, 08:53 PM
YES when I do the SMT it is always with a cone conditioner- Suave professionals avocado and she butter. I will try clarifying today and using Suave Citrus Smoothie without cones. How long then do you think I should wait to do the SMT again and do you think I should use a different conditioner in it?
I think that alternating the kind of conditioner you use would be helpful. If you like using cones but don't want to have to clarify all the time maybe try doing the treatment less often or alternating between cones and no cones for the treatment or find a schedule that works for you so that whatever buildup you get is removed by your normal washing routine before the next treatment. It'll probably take a while to experiment and get your schedule right, in reality instead of trying to find the perfect routine straight up maybe just start by continuing to do what you've been doing and clarifying when it stops working while gradually reducing the frequency that you use cone heavy treatments until you reach a point where you don't need to clarify as much or at all.

GlassWidow
September 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM
The last time I did an SMT, I used EO Spring Herbal condish...did not go well (looked like cottage cheese on my head...yeuch!)

Tonight, I'm taking advantage of the rainy weather to pull moisture into my hair via another SMT! :) I'm using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. It felt awesome going in, so I can only imagine how it will feel when it's done.

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I wish we had a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods within an hour's drive... *pout*

GlassWidow
September 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Is there anything else interesting near you...because we could always trade. ;)

GRU
September 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Is there anything else interesting near you...because we could always trade. ;)

I live in an area famous for breakfast cereal and custom guitars.... other than that, we're pretty boring!

I'm surprised we haven't attracted a WF or TJ store yet, though -- we have a pretty big "crunchy granola" population around here. *sigh*

Mairéad
September 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
So, I did my treatment. And, my hair got really wavy. :bigeyes:
But, I don't really think I can type my hair at this length, but it got different.
I have a question now that it's getting drier outside. Since honey is a humectant should I leave it out once it is bone dry winter?

PixxieStix
September 9th, 2011, 09:47 PM
So, I did my first SMT treatment on my fiance and myself tonight. Our hair is still drying but so far it is feeling pretty good and looks shiny, but doesn't feel quite as moisturized as the avocado, coconut milk and honey mask I used last week.

For this, we used Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner, regular honey and clear aloe vera gel... and of course I couldn't resist just the smallest 1/2TBS of virgin coconut oil in there too. :D Smelled divine!

Alright, went and checked on the hair, it's much drier now and while it doesn't feel super moisturized, it did have positive effects! Soft and shiny. My man bunched his hair all up though and it isn't even close to dry, so we'll see what his is like tomorrow I guess. ^.^

tigereye
September 10th, 2011, 12:27 AM
But, I don't really think I can type my hair at this length, but it got different.
I have a question now that it's getting drier outside. Since honey is a humectant should I leave it out once it is bone dry winter?

Mine did that too! Normally my hair is pretty straight, but after yesterdays first go at the SMT, my ends are wavy for the last few inches, which my hair never does. Maybe it's the extra moisture, because I found henna glosses did it too, and my hair is rather dry a lot of the time. But I'm loving the smoothness. Seemingly with the ultra-conditioning my just-washed frizz disappeared and it dried nice.

I think my conditioner didn't work though. It looked fine, but there seemed to be little White flecks on everything,which took a while to wash out. I used Natural Source White pear and avocado.

julierockhead
September 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM

I would think your hair would need a humectant even more when the air is dry, right?

Congrats on the waves! :rockerdud

hototogisu
September 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM
What do you guys do with leftover SMT? I made up a mix using 4 tbsp condish, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp aloe and 1 tsp olive oil, and I only used half on my head. The rest is in a glass covered with plastic wrap. Will it keep?

GRU
September 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
What do you guys do with leftover SMT? I made up a mix using 4 tbsp condish, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp aloe and 1 tsp olive oil, and I only used half on my head. The rest is in a glass covered with plastic wrap. Will it keep?

I would put it in the fridge, just to be safe.

Mairéad
September 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM
If I understand correctly, a humectant draws moisture to where it is drier. So, if the air is drier than my hair the humectant would draw the moisture from my hair into the dry air. Right?

Cassie 123
September 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
If I understand correctly, a humectant draws moisture to where it is drier. So, if the air is drier than my hair the humectant would draw the moisture from my hair into the dry air. Right?

As I understand it, a humectant simply grabs water without any regard for where there is more or less. If you apply humectant and water at the same time, the humectant should keep holding the water in/on your hair better than the hair would be able to do alone.

Soulina
September 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I first tried it whit "Erittäin hieno Suomalainen hoitoaine" You can only get it from Finland enyway but its so not working. It turned the hole thing into jello. I tried whit some other conditioner and it worked perfectly.

Now I am sitting here whit this plastic bag woolly hat thing in my head. I cant wait to see what this thing does to my hair, at least it smells pretty good.:)

dRummie
September 11th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Well, I tried my first SMT last week. I can't say I notice too much of a difference? I don't know if it's because I had to dilute it a tad (didn't make enough.. added maybe half a cup of water?), or because my hair is in pretty good condition already... I'll try it at least once more to make sure.

One good thing did come of it, seeing that my hair was perfectly clean after rinsing it out inspired me to try a CO wash today. Heh ;)

MandyBeth
September 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Aloe turns my hair insane with frizz, so I don't add it. Trying 8 parts condish, 1 part honey, 1 1/2 parts argan oil, 1 part glycerin tonight, finally cool enough to sleep with a hat on. Monistat on my scalp as always. DH thinks it's cute. Goofy boy.

Deliciosa
September 13th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I had it last night for 2 hours: Sante Brilliante condi/aloe vera/honey/cinnamon/tomato puree/olive oil/lemon juice

yeah yeah I know that cinnamon, tomato, olive and lemon are lightening...but i wanted that ;) two birdies one condi...

And I got it all...yeaaaah....super nourished hair that is thick that is slightly lighter....tbc

YepLilly
September 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm doing my very first SMT right now! I used Aussie Moist conditioner, honey, and FOTE AVG. I'm excited :p

YepLilly
September 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Update: I left this on my hair for about two hours. I rinsed it out (no shampoo or additional conditioner) and finished with an ACV rinse and cool water rinse. I followed with my usual leave-in (AVG). Now that my hair is completely dry... wow! It's so soft, but without being weigh down or greasy. Another thing I noticed is that the smell from the conditioner lingers a lot longer. Overall it feels really nice! I'm going to start doing SMTs every week or so, especially on the days following a protein treatment. No wonder SMTs are so popular here, they work pretty good!

WickedLady
September 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Aloe turns my hair insane with frizz, so I don't add it. Trying 8 parts condish, 1 part honey, 1 1/2 parts argan oil, 1 part glycerin tonight, finally cool enough to sleep with a hat on. Monistat on my scalp as always. DH thinks it's cute. Goofy boy.

I'm still a little hesitant about putting Monistat on my scalp. Anyone else ever had that feeling?

Cassie 123
September 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm still a little hesitant about putting Monistat on my scalp. Anyone else ever had that feeling?

At this point, you couldn't pay me to do it. If I had lost significant amounts of hair, I would not be nearly as reluctant to try it.

I'm having trouble keeping my hair up during the SMT, and my heating cap (Mastex) can't accomodate a big bun. How do you guys do it? (I've broken two sideways jaw clips in the past month and a half trying to grab slippery hair with conditioner-slippery fingers. Grr.)

Ashenputtel
September 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM
The glycerine instead of aloe vera is a really good idea. I'm gonna do that next batch. I don't like all the conservatives used in my gel.

Roscata
September 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm currently doing my second ever SMT. I just clarified, then put it on under a shower cap with a towel wrapped around my head. I'm excited because I feel like this time I'm doing it right haha. Last time I didn't clarify, or wash, I just put it on and used it kind of like a CO.

archel
September 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I did one yesterday and it worked SO well. I used my Giovanni Smooth As Silk shampoo, towel dried gently, and then put in my mixture. The mixture was the Giovanni Smooth As Silk conditioner (8 pumps) and then 1/4 AVG, 1/4 honey, 10 drops of vegetable glycerin and 10 drops of argan oil, microwaved for about 15 seconds (5 at a time!). I put it on and used my Babyliss shampoo brush to detangle with the concoction in my hair, then I put it up with an octopus clip and put a shower cap over that. I left it for 30 minutes and then hopped in the shower and let the hot water run over the shower cap to really infuse the stuff into my hair with heat. I went about my bidness and rinsed it out at the end of my shower and my hair had sucked up so much of the treatment, there wasn't much to rinse out! Since then my hair really has felt smooth as silk. Amazing!!

I am really wanting a heat cap now to really ramp up these treatments!

YepLilly
September 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I'm currently doing my second ever SMT. I just clarified, then put it on under a shower cap with a towel wrapped around my head. I'm excited because I feel like this time I'm doing it right haha. Last time I didn't clarify, or wash, I just put it on and used it kind of like a CO.

I did exactly the same for my 1st SMT. I think next time I'm going to try clarifying first too and see what happens :)

Roscata
September 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I did exactly the same for my 1st SMT. I think next time I'm going to try clarifying first too and see what happens :)

Haha, great minds... :D

I just rinsed out my SMT, followed it up with an AVG rinse and I will be updating after it dries. So far it feels like pure silk. This is so awesome! :D

Roscata
September 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well my hair has long been dried now and I have to say: WOW! My hair feels and looks amazing. I feel like I could be in a Pantene Pro-V commercial. Lol. I'm definitely adding this to my routine. :D

YepLilly
September 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Well my hair has long been dried now and I have to say: WOW! My hair feels and looks amazing. I feel like I could be in a Pantene Pro-V commercial. Lol. I'm definitely adding this to my routine. :D

That's awesome! Did you notice any difference with your first SMT when you didn't clarify?

julierockhead
September 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
For those looking for a heat cap-

http://thermalhaircare.com/category_1/Hot-Head-Caps.htm

I was looking for one for ages that wasn't ugly and didn't tie me down to an outlet, these look perfect and appear roomy. She emailed me she is not making them anymore though, so what's on the site is the last of them.

Cassie 123
September 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
For those looking for a heat cap-

http://thermalhaircare.com/category_1/Hot-Head-Caps.htm

I was looking for one for ages that wasn't ugly and didn't tie me down to an outlet, these look perfect and appear roomy. She emailed me she is not making them anymore though, so what's on the site is the last of them.

Hey, those are cute! DS told me I look "like a wolf" when I'm wearing my big plastic plug-in Mastex heat cap. :confused: The mind of a 3-year-old is a mysterious thing.

Roscata
September 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
That's awesome! Did you notice any difference with your first SMT when you didn't clarify?

Yes I did notice a difference. But this time around I used a conditioner with Dimeticone in it so that might have done it too. The down side is that it takes me 6-7 tried to make a bun because my hair is so slippery. lol :D

RedDevil
September 19th, 2011, 06:54 PM
:( sorry to report that my first SMT didn't produce the results I was hoping for. It actually didn't produce ANY results. My hair was exactly the same. I used:
4 tblsp biolage conditioning balm
1 tblsp fruit of the earth aloe gel
1 tblsp bear honey

warmed in microwave for 12 seconds, applied to freshly cleansed damp hair. Used a plastic bag with a towel wrapped over that. waited an hour then rinsed.
oh well, i suppose one thing can't work for everyone.

islandboo
September 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
:( sorry to report that my first SMT didn't produce the results I was hoping for. It actually didn't produce ANY results. My hair was exactly the same. I used:
4 tblsp biolage conditioning balm
1 tblsp fruit of the earth aloe gel
1 tblsp bear honey

warmed in microwave for 12 seconds, applied to freshly cleansed damp hair. Used a plastic bag with a towel wrapped over that. waited an hour then rinsed.
oh well, i suppose one thing can't work for everyone.

Wow, that is almost exactly the same recipe as I use and I love it. I am sorry it didn't do much for you. Maybe your hair is just in such awesome shape it didn't need any moisture?

MasCat
September 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm sitting in my first SMT now.

Used multiflower honey (1tbsp) a palm oil/avocado no-cone condish (4 tbsp) and aloe juice (1tbsp) as aloe gel is absolutely impossible to get.

I already cleaned my cats ears and now gong to pracitice some harp and then it's shower time. I'm really excited :)

FrozenBritannia
September 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
bumping this, for all us Noobs!

fandango
September 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
First SMT in process! I used one of the silicone free Tresemme Naturals + honey + aloe + a little bit of olive oil and a little bit of Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. I went all out!
Is it okay that I only wet my hair before this, instead of washing it?
Also after reading about heat caps I went and microwaved a wheat bag and now I have that sitting on top of my shower cap. Haha, so glad I'm home alone, I'm sure I'd get a few laughs if anyone were to see me right now.

Cassie 123
September 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Is it okay that I only wet my hair before this, instead of washing it?

Yes - I do this weekly as a CO-wash; however, I don't add olive oil as you did, and I apply quite a lot of the mixture at my scalp to scrub it clean.

SMT also gives especially dramatic results when used after washing the entire length with clarifying shampoo, but I think it better to SMT much more often than you clarify.

fandango
September 28th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I added more conditioner, particularly to my scalp, when I washed it out. Hopefully it works out, it's still drying. I probably should've done a basic SMT for my first trial, I guess I just got too excited.