PDA

View Full Version : The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

kabelaced
June 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
I made this treatment again the other day for me and my friend's spa day. Her hair is naturally stick straight 1a, probably ii thickness, maybe medium...

I slopped some on my grand mane of one inch and she slathered the same stuff on her shoulder length hair...left it on for the same time...but her hair ended up looking and feeling horrible!! I feel so bad. :( She had to wash her hair like three or four times before it became "bearable" again!

I was so shocked, because I thought this was like the miracle treatment for everybody (everybody is not me, though! :o).

jane53
June 2nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Sigh; that's what I'm worried about.

My hair is thick-ish, but fine and fluffy yet mostly straight.

I won't have time to repair the damage if it's a sticky mess!

I'll have to wait until I can afford a day looking possibly dreadful--or possibly lovely!

kabelaced
June 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM

I'll have to wait until I can afford a day looking possibly dreadful--or possibly lovely!

Save it for a spa day! ;) That way, even if your hair turns out not the best, the rest of you will still feel awesome!

jane53
June 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Spa day! That's what's missing from my life!

anniemae
June 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM

This is how I feel. I'm going to try it on a day that I don't have to see anyone.

ArcticNights
June 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Today I am going to do my first SMT. This is what goes into my mix: Lily of the desert AVG, plain honey and conditioner from Loreal proffessionnel.

YaY, this is my first go on a LHC recipe :)

Pandora.
June 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm an SMT virgin, and I feel nervous and excited at the same time about doing one.

I think I'll play safe and use the recommended V05 Sun Kissed Raspberry Conditioner to begin with alongside the honey, although I don't think I'll bother with the aloe gel just yet.

jackie75
June 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
I swear, Snowymoon deserves a major award for this recipe!! It is a true miracle for my course, dry hair. I use Giovanni's smooth as silk conditioner with FOTE aloe & honey, leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour. Extremely silky hair!

With all the products I have bought over the years to help my hair, this by far actually works!

Thanks for experimenting Snowymoon! :blossom:

Pimpernel
June 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for such a detailed and concise post! I'll definitely have to try this.

Flossy
June 21st, 2010, 11:10 PM
I did my second SMT on Friday night. I wasn't too impressed with the first go, but this time I used Garnier Fructis Butter Mask, honey and aloe gel, and I didn't heat it as the honey mixed right in. I put it on for about an hour, and let it air-dry, and I am soooo in love with my hair right now! It's four days today, usually I only go three between washes, but I was just so happy with the texture that I stretched it an extra day.

On a good/bad note, being cone-free made my splits stand out really badly, so I've been happily snipping away at them since Saturday.

Quezie
June 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
I tried my first SMT a couple of weeks ago, and the results were amaaaazing! 4 parts garnier triple nutrition conditioner, 1 part aloe, 1 part honey.

After doing a protein treatment last night, I smt'ed again, exact same ingredients, left it in for the same amount of time (overnight) but the results aren't nearly as nice. ):
Is this because I used a protein treatment prior to it?

Pandora.
June 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
I've just done my first SMT this morning, and I'd just like to say a HUGE thank you to Snowymoon for creating such an awesome concoction! :D

My hair feels sooooo soft and the smell of honey is still lingering on a few strands of my hair, which is pretty cool. After I washed my hair, when I was applying the mixture onto my hair, my first thoughts were: "this is actually quite disgusting" - due to all the gloopiness. The entire hour I was waiting, I was kinda worried about how my hair would turn out (in case it would be sticky or wouldn't wash out), but NO, as soon as I stepped in the shower and rinsed it out my hair felt amazingggggggg. I can not stop touching my hair now. :p

I didn't use aloe gel, I used honey and Dove Full and Thick Conditioner (which is cone free as far as I know).

ButterCream
June 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM
This is a LOVELy invention, and sooo nice for my hair!!
Thanks big time to snowymoon!! :flower:

Medievalmaniac
June 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I did my second SMT last weekend; posted pics and results are in my blog. :)

superficial
June 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for SMT! It's like DAP but a lil bit better!

ErinM
July 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM
After posting on the Mane forum about a dryness issue I was encountering going cone, SLS, paraben and other-things-free, I was directed to this treatment. I used Sauve Naturals cherry blossom conditioner (trying to keep mostly things-free even in treatment) and aloe and honey in the measurements posted. With my thickness and length, I used a cup worth! I wore it up in a shower cap for about 2 hours and then rinsed.

It's still drying now, but it feels much softer than it did pre-treatment. I'm hoping this will buy me another week or two of adjustment time to the 'poo and condish change, to see if my hair will accept it or if I'm officially a cone-head. Either way, I see myself coming back to this when my hair needs a big drink! Thanks!

Anje
July 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I slopped some on my grand mane of one inch and she slathered the same stuff on her shoulder length hair...left it on for the same time...but her hair ended up looking and feeling horrible!! I feel so bad. :( She had to wash her hair like three or four times before it became "bearable" again!
I wonder... did she cover it with a shower cap? I'd hate to think what a nightmare dried-on SMT would be!

Meaghan
July 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'm doing my first SMT ever! I don't have the right kind of aloe, I think (I have the Avon one), so I skipped it. I used 1/4 cup of Suave Ocean Breeze conditioner, and 1/16 cup of honey. I don't think I got the ratios right, but oh well :P It's still going to be moisturizing, I think.

We'll see an hour or so from now when I rinse it all out!

henna4grey
July 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I use Giovanni's smooth as silk conditioner with FOTE aloe & honey, leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour. Extremely silky hair!

Just wondering... Wouldn't Giovanni's "Smooth as Silk" conditioner alone make your hair extremely silky?

I'm really curious to know whether a good conditioner alone can do the job of SMT just as well. Some have mentioned using no aloe juice, others leave the honey out, so it seems CO under a plastic cap for an hour would do a good job anyway:confused:

P.S. I don't mean to underestimate the benefits of aloe or honey (or Snowymoon's recipe, for that matter). I'd even say they're better than any commercial conditioner. I'm all for natural ingredients.

Anje
July 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Just wondering... Wouldn't Giovanni's "Smooth as Silk" conditioner alone make your hair extremely silky?
Well, you're right in that soaking hair for an extended period in conditioner is generally an improvement over shorter treatments. In my experience though, adding additional humectants seems to improve the moisturizing qualities, at least with cheap conditioners. Many of us find that even mixing a little honey (or lately corn syrup, for me, since I'm cheap) with our conditioner in our hands while in the shower makes it more moisturizing. But you'd have to give it a try both ways to see which is better for you with any given conditioner.

Meaghan
July 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm definitely going to add SMTs into my routine! My hair feels so soft and lovely :)

hairg33k
July 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I need to keep this one in mind more often because I always forget about it and my hair LOVES it!

sibiryachka
July 15th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I think I need to give this another go... My ends have gotten grabby, and I haven't done a treatment other than henna in a couple of months. Time for a treat!

renarok
July 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I got little white clingy bits last time I did an SMT.
I used Biolage conditioning balm, honey, trader joes aloe gel, and just a teaspoon of jojoba.

I've done SMTs many times without any residue. The only change was the Biolage. Has anyone had this experience?

jhator
July 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I want to try this but does anyone know where I can buy clear aloe gel in the UK? Is it the sort of thing I can buy in a shop or will I have to order it online?

Sammich
July 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I want to try this but does anyone know where I can buy clear aloe gel in the UK? Is it the sort of thing I can buy in a shop or will I have to order it online?

Holland and Barrett's(The shop and online) has it for pretty cheap! I think around the £3 mark or less?

jhator
July 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Holland and Barrett's(The shop and online) has it for pretty cheap! I think around the 3 mark or less?

Oh great, I have one of those nearby. Thanks!

LILBERT
July 19th, 2010, 01:40 AM
This is probably a really dumb question, but, you use this like a deep treatment after you have washed your hair right? you dont need to wash it out you just rinse it out?
thanks

GRU
July 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
LILBERT - I CO-wash when I rinse out an SMT-type treatment, b/c of the oil....

BunnyBee
July 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I used Biolage conditioning balm, honey, trader joes aloe gel, and just a teaspoon of jojoba.

I've done SMTs many times without any residue. The only change was the Biolage. Has anyone had this experience?

I have used Biolage for SMT. Try not heating the honey before mixing. It has never lightened my hair (i think the conditioner inhibits it) and the ingredients stay together better without adding heat.

Anje
July 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
This is probably a really dumb question, but, you use this like a deep treatment after you have washed your hair right? you dont need to wash it out you just rinse it out?
thanks
I tend to consider the SMT to be a CO wash with a long soak first, myself, so I tend to start with unwashed hair and simply rinse out afterward. I don't use oil in my version, though, so there's no need to do further washing unless I get globbies (which I haven't had an issue with).

LILBERT
July 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
thankyou! :)

ravenreed
July 20th, 2010, 07:37 PM
My usual SMT is whatever honey I have on hand, Fruit of the Earth AVG, and Suave Wild Cherry conditioner. I was out of honey so I substituted molasses. It curded up and separated in a very disturbing fashion. I had to pour it down the drain.

I wanted let others know, so that if anyone wants to do a substitution, they might consider a small test batch and not waste a huge amount of stuff like I just did.

HuggyBear
July 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I currently have the SMT in my hair for the first time and am anxiously awaiting the results. I have to wait for the baby to take a nap before I can wash it out but, unfortunately, she is bouncing off the walls at the moment and does not seem to be tired yet. :(

jenknits
July 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I tried this earlier this week and I think it worked great. I only had time to leave it on for half an hour, but my ends have felt great all week! I'm not sure what about the treatment worked or if it's a coincidence, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Miriah
July 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I've got the SMT in my hair for the first time. I used 1tbsp Billy Bee Pure Natural Honey, 1 tbsp PC's 98% pure aloe gel, and 4 tbsps Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner. As I'm stirring this up, I was wondering "How on earth is all this stuff going to stay in my hair?!" but sure enough, as I worked a bit in and worked out some tangles (oh the tangles... so many tangles...) my hair just seem to make room for more. Once I'd gotten it all into my head I twisted it into a bun and held it with just a couple pins before covering it with a shower cap.
It itched a little wee bit in the first five minutes but that's since stopped.
Now there's a bit of a drip at my right temple and the nape of my neck which is annoying, but I put a couple cotton makeup pads there to catch them.
I'm very curious to see how this turns out.

Miriah
July 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I've got the SMT in my hair for the first time. I used 1tbsp Billy Bee Pure Natural Honey, 1 tbsp PC's 98% pure aloe gel, and 4 tbsps Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner. As I'm stirring this up, I was wondering "How on earth is all this stuff going to stay in my hair?!" but sure enough, as I worked a bit in and worked out some tangles (oh the tangles... so many tangles...) my hair just seem to make room for more. Once I'd gotten it all into my head I twisted it into a bun and held it with just a couple pins before covering it with a shower cap.
It itched a little wee bit in the first five minutes but that's since stopped.
Now there's a bit of a drip at my right temple and the nape of my neck which is annoying, but I put a couple cotton makeup pads there to catch them.
I'm very curious to see how this turns out.

Well, it's rinced out. No curdly bits that I've seen other people talk about, but combing out the tangles was still an absolute nightmare. Like, taking a knot in my hand and picking the hairs out one by one nightmare. This tangling isn't anything new to me, but I am a little bummed that the SMT didn't helped. I'd had such hope.
Maybe there will be other benefits once it dries. Volume? Thickness? Maybe? It certainly feels heavier.

*Aoife*
August 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I've got SMT on my hair now, covered by a showercap and a towel. I'm really not liking the smell though. I used a conditioner that isn't heavily scented as well as AVG and coconut oil, neither of which I like the smell of. I hope it turns out ok :)

Joliebaby
August 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM
SMT is great :) I used to do it with only honey and conditioner (and perhaps some oil) but I just added aloe gel for the first time and it was even better! LOVE.
I always estimate the amounts though.. I think I use about 1/1/1 of honey/aloe/conditioner and add a bit of water and oil there too :)

*Aoife*
August 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've got SMT on my hair now, covered by a showercap and a towel. I'm really not liking the smell though. I used a conditioner that isn't heavily scented as well as AVG and coconut oil, neither of which I like the smell of. I hope it turns out ok :)

Sorry for quoting myself :o

My hair was sooo silky but it looked like there was a little oil remaining in my hair from the minute I CO-ed it out. I might try it again but with only conditioner and AVG

Jenn of Pence
August 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM

As a matter of fact, I have used the Conditioning Balm a couple of times (with no honey), and I got those bits of gunk, too. So...I can't 100% say it's the culprit, but it looks suspicious!

Jenn of Pence
August 18th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Just reporting on my latest trial of SMT. I really just did a modified version a couple of times, but I decided I needed to try the full blown thing. My ends were a bit velcroey so I clarified with shampoo and applied the mixture (just Tresemme Naturals conditioner and AVG; for some reason I am hesitant to use honey on my hair...). I only had time to let it sit about 30 minutes before I had to rinse out and go somewhere. It's soft and smooth, and the ends aren't quite as bad, but they are a little tangly. AND my hair is a crazy wavy puff ball. Normally I wash with coney condish once every two or three weeks to give just a little weight to the wave, and clarifying washed it all out, leaving just the light, cone-free conditioner, which makes it a bit wild. So in the future, I may just apply to normal hair, and if I need to clarify I will do so and use coney condish and SMT on the next wash day.

LouLaLa
August 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM
SMT is a miracle!!!!

Ive only done it twice and my hair feels amazing, its shiny and soft as when I was a child (which considering I had dye damage is literally amazing)

My mother commented on how good my hair looked and then felt it and couldnt belive how good it felt! She didnt belive me when I told her what it was. My hair is shiny and looks healthy rather than like I have put product on it (like when you see folks with straightened hair that has alot of product in to look good). Its pretty cool to have hair that just looks naturally nice! MIRACLE.

I put alot more honey in my mix as I really like the feeling it gives my hair and I never get stickyness.

Ive started applying it with an old dye applicator squeezy bottle that I cleaned throughly so that its easier to apply (so so so much easier this way).

So all in all im in love with this!

Lil Red Vampire
August 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
okay, tell me again how the aloe vera gel does it's magic?? I had never even heard of this until I read about the SMT....

MandyBeth
August 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM
My hair freaks out if I don't wash the SMT out with condish. I look like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Tho I think that is the battle to get honey out, since in 2 days after my hair calms down and it is wonderful.

*Aoife*
August 20th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I did a second SMT yesterday. My hair is unbelievably soft and my mam told me that my hair smelled lovely. I'm not sure which she was smelling, the conditioner or the AVG.

StormVixen
August 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM
Just mixed me up a batch using what i had left of my Curl Junkie H&B deep fix, a bit of Pure Nuff Stuff intensive Co, Starchild Aloe vera gel and some raw organic forest honey... havent heated it up tho, just mixed it all together...cant wait til i've got time to put it on... probly tomorrow... :D

*Aoife*
August 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
I meant to add that I tried mixing Naked Care conditioner with AVG and I got white clumpy bits. So I don't think it's good for SMTs.

jhator
September 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
I tried this at last, I was only able to leave it in for about an hour but I certainly feel a difference :) Is there much difference between leaving it in for an hour or overnight? And, is it possible to overdo it? I want to do it again in a couple of days but won't if it's too soon.

dainaleeo2
September 1st, 2010, 05:36 PM
I've heard so much about this, but I haven;t tried it yet. What a shame. I think i might over the labor day weekend, since I'll have more free time...that or a honey lightening treatment. :)

Anyway, as far as the conditioner list...I have a few of the Suave cheapie conditioners, but I guess the Suave Coconut wouldn't work since it has light protein, right? I have the Tangeriene, Wild Cherry Blossom, & I think Waterfall fresh or something [the blue one]. Do you think those would work? I could always use my Aussie 3 min. miracle, since I have that....I just hope they're assuming it's the DEEEP version, not the original, which doesn't work nearly as well.

& The aloe, basically just a tube of the clear aloe gel they sell at Wal-Mart in the beauty/lotion section? That would be awesome. Cheap too. :) I have some honey, pure honey in the little bear, so I assume that's alright as well.

@ JHator: I don't think there would be issues in doing it again. Over time you want to make sure not to *over* moisturize hair, but you would know if you feel it: it would start to feel gummy & kind of like cotton candy. [too much protein = too hard & brittle]. I try & moisturize my hair with deep conditioners/oil treatments/etc. at least twice a week. It's really helped improve the quality of my hair :)

Hotrox
September 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM
I hvae just made my first SMT and am sitting with it on my head now :D

Working form home is great!!

I used:

Natures Gate Herbal Condish
FOTE Clear Aloe Gel
And cheep honey from a squeezy bottle

What I didn't expect, and what I loved is how creamy and luxurious the mixture felt as I was smooshing it in my hair. It felt so 'expensive' and like a real treat.

I will report back with what happens once I wash it off.

curlsgalore
September 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I haven't done this treatment in a while. I need to revisit it.

Hotrox
September 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe I didn't wash it all out properly but my hair felt a bit weighed down afterwards, and looked greasy this morning. So I washed it again this morning and my hair feels lovely, and a lot less frizzy without any product or much styling effort on my part.

I think its a Winner :D

Just make sure you get it all out!

slz
September 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM

RadiantNeedle
September 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
Has anyone used the Sukin Aloe Vera stuff for this? I'm thinking of purchasing some on the weekend.. Along with some coconut oil. And maybe jojoba..

RachelRain
September 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
I have Lily of the Desert and Fruit of the Earth (first because I didn't realize I had it, it was hidden in our camper for burns and second because it was mentioned and I thought I had none...) and I use whichever is within reach at the time.

The LOTD, though, isn't in a pump bottle, it's in a jar, so I think I'll probably just keep adding it a little at a time to the pump bottle to keep it full and easier to use, since burn season is over.

Never seen Sukin, but I would think as long as it's the clear stuff it'd be usable?

Henrietta
September 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Believe it or not, I've never tried SMTing !
I have a question for the seasoned users : how much do you use ? What do you think would be the quantities required for my length (knee) ? I'm afraid (and that's why I never really envisionned it so far) I'll need a LOT of it, and aloe gel is not really cheap here, it's going to cost me an arm and a leg :D .

I have a similar problem. I am only at BSL but the aloe gel is extremely hard to find and extremely expensive here too...

Is there anything I can replace aloe gel with? I know it won't be literally SMT then. But everyone is amazed and I'd like to try it too ;)

GlassButrFly
September 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I just did my first SMT! I used 4 tablespoons of Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner, 1 Tablespoon of Burelson's Honey (from walmart), and 1 tablespoon of FOTE aloe gel. I microwaved it for 30 seconds and applied it to damp hair. My hair isn't dry yet, so I can't say what that will look like, but when I was washing it out I noticed that my hair seemed very CLEAN. Like squeaky clean. I don't know if that is from the conditioner that I used or what. But it washed out easily and I put some more Garnier TN on the ends to help detangle and then rinsed that out too. Once I was out of the shower, it was very easy to lightly comb through. I did notice a couple of white things in my hair, but it's not too bad. I probably heated the mixture too much.

I like how it made my hair feel in the shower! Can't wait for my hair to dry. I'm about to get in the car and drive 5 hours, so it will be a few days before I can update.

Smile4Kiki
September 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Did my first SMT yesterday. I used bear-bottle honey, Fruit of the Earth clear aloe gel, and Aussie 3MM. Microwaved for 30 seconds and I left it on for about 30 min+ with a plastic cap on and blow dried the outside of the cap for about 10 min once it was on. My hair feels and looks so silky and shiny and it improved my ends which have been feeling a bit velcro-like in the last couple of days. I will definitely be doing this more often and want to try using the pureed meat from an actual aloe plant when my mother returns from her vacation (she knows where to purchase it I have no idea). I will report back when I try it.

virgo75
September 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
O.M.G. :bigeyes:

I've been doing SMTs for a while now, or mostly modified SMTs using conditioner, honey & oil(olive or coconut) because the aloe vera gel can end up leaving white flakes if mixed wrong. I've used Suave, V05, Garnier Triple Nutrition, and Biolage Conditioning Balm. The best results I had were from Suave(Aloe & Waterlilly) and V05.

Until today.

I used my Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner and I am just...
Shocked.
I poured a big glob(I never measure) into a bowl followed by a glob of honey(about 1/3 the size of the conditioner) and some olive oil and coconut oil(maybe a teaspoon total). I mixed all that together and warmed it up by sitting the bowl it was in into a sink filled with hot water.

I could tell there was a major difference as soon as I applied it to my hair. My hair was immediately smooth, silky, slimy. lol It was just amazing. Now my hair is better than it's ever been. I think I've found my fave products by doing an SMT with it. I've been using the Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo & Conditioner and liked them. But used in an SMT, it's better than anything I've ever used.

:crush:

Side note: to the ladies without Aloe Gel - just do a modified SMT with some honey added and/or oil if your hair likes oil. The ingredients seem to make conditioner runnier, so you may need a little more than you think. For knee length hair, I'd bet on using half a bottle of conditioner or more. But what's great about SMTs is that they make the cheapest conditioner work better than high end brands. So if you try it, you may want to use whatever is available and cheap. My hair is only shoulder length and I can easily use 1/4 to 1/3 of a bottle doing an SMT when doing a normal conditioning I only use about 2 palm fulls. Hope that helps. :flower:

Wally
September 7th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I tried a recipe from another thread with 3 parts conditioner, 1 part AVG, and 1 part EVOO. No heating, just mixed well. I kept it under a plastic bag under a knit cap for two hours. It came out very nice.

GlassButrFly
September 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I just did my first SMT! I used 4 tablespoons of Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner, 1 Tablespoon of Burelson's Honey (from walmart), and 1 tablespoon of FOTE aloe gel. I microwaved it for 30 seconds and applied it to damp hair. My hair isn't dry yet, so I can't say what that will look like, but when I was washing it out I noticed that my hair seemed very CLEAN. Like squeaky clean. I don't know if that is from the conditioner that I used or what. But it washed out easily and I put some more Garnier TN on the ends to help detangle and then rinsed that out too. Once I was out of the shower, it was very easy to lightly comb through. I did notice a couple of white things in my hair, but it's not too bad. I probably heated the mixture too much.

I like how it made my hair feel in the shower! Can't wait for my hair to dry. I'm about to get in the car and drive 5 hours, so it will be a few days before I can update.

Ok, so my SMT made my hair so soft that when I put it up in a Gibson Tuck for an interview, I had a hard time getting the hair to stay pinned back. It kept trying to slip out. When I would go to push it back, it felt so amazingly soft... :)

dreamy10
September 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
ahh, so that's what SMT stands for. That acronym left me lost in another thread.

ZoeSophia8
September 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hummm.... I did my first SMT yesterday, and am now left sort of confused. Granted, I'm new here and not at all practiced in knowing what my hair is trying to tell me. I've been doing a lot of reading and searching through the forums; yet, it can be a little overwhelming. The information I'm looking for seems very buried!

Information on my hair history can be found in my introduction thread, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55275).

I first clarified with VO5's kiwi lime clarifying shampoo, washing twice and following Kirin's Hair Diagnostic Tips article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44), which involves not conditioning afterward and allowing your hair to air dry to check its current condition. To my absolute surprise, my hair was incredibly happy afterward. I was aware of silicone build-up previously, but I did expect there to be more that was wrong with my hair than that (I would usually never dream of leaving the shower without using conditioner).

Still, I decided I could certainly benefit from a moisture treatment, and moved on to an SMT applied to my dried hair.

I used:
* 4 parts Nature's Gate Pomegranate Sunflower Conditioner
* 1 part Trader Joe's grade A honey with comb
* 1 part Lily of the Valley Aloe Vera gel (clear)

I mixed it up very easily with nothing but a spoon; there was no clumping and it was actually rather creamy and a great texture for spreading on the hair. I didn't heat it because I am not concerned about lightening right now (going to henna soon and I prefer a brighter color).

I left it in for about 2 hours under saran wrap, then rinsed it out with no problem whatsoever. All sounds good, right? Only, my hair just felt... weird afterward, as it was drying. I couldn't tell at all what it had done, just that my hair felt kind of weird. The parts that were entirely dry did feel soft, but running my hands over my drying hair, it felt mostly dried out and strange. I had to go to sleep, so I braided it when it was still damp.

Today I noticed after combing that my hair was springy. Sort of elastic-y? I have no idea!

The only thing I can think of is that the conditioner contains hydrolyzed wheat protein. I've been scouring the forums all day and, for the life of me, can't figure out what's up with protein. Some people do well without protein. Maybe that's me, too? And yet, I imagine "hydrolyzed" protein attracts moisture, eh?

Can anyone empathize with me (lol), having been new to this process and not knowing at all what your hair is trying to tell you? I can't tell if something is wrong or if this is healthy hair and it's simply alien to me. :o I'll try to remain patient, though. I know this is a long learning process. :p

Budding scientist, signing out.

Aleria
September 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I also had a small problem with my first SMT. I loved how it brought out my waves and made my hair soft and tangle free, but it feels greasy and is kinda frizzy, like flyaways, not like when I brush my hair instead of letting it dry naturally.

I used Suave Naturals Tangerine, 98% pure PC Brand Aloe Gel (best I could find, seemed alright~) and err generic brand honey? I also put in about a teaspoon of almond oil.. which I suspect is responsible for the greasiness of my hair.

However I don't know what caused the flyaways. I do normally have a slight problem with it, but it seems worse after SMT. Would a silk or polyester satin (not sure I have the money for silk.. $14-20 a metre?!) pillowcase fix this?

lorenaluo
September 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I seem to remember someone had posted a long list of conditioners and whether or not they worked well in an SMT. Does anyone have this list saved somewhere?

christine1989
September 10th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I have been dying to try SMT but I can't find aloe anywhere :(. Where do you buy pure aloe? I'm about to give up and just buy an aloe plant.

marisa
September 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I found a little bottle of pure clear aloe in the trial size health & beauty section at Target.
99 cents! :)

Just tried SMT for the first time recently.
It is magic.

Aleria
September 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I have been dying to try SMT but I can't find aloe anywhere :(. Where do you buy pure aloe? I'm about to give up and just buy an aloe plant.
I couldn't find it either, so I asked the people in the makeup/shampoo section of my Superstore (since you're in the states, check walmart, target, etc?), and she showed me it and said it's usually with the sunscreen or lotion. It wasn't at eye level either, it was on the bottom shelf, so asking might be your best bet.

Henrietta
September 10th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I seem to remember someone had posted a long list of conditioners and whether or not they worked well in an SMT. Does anyone have this list saved somewhere?

You can find it here;) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1423&postcount=1

ZoeSophia8
September 12th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Ohh, just an update then.

After my first SMT, my hair felt unfamiliar, strange, elastic-y, and a little waxy. A few days after, my hair is behaving incredibly well. I'm not exactly sure what the response to the SMT itself was. I'm new, and will need to do more tries with variations in the future. But man can I say, in the days following my hair is incredible.

julia941
September 12th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I did a modified SMT a couple of days ago. Since I had plenty of honey on hand for Rosh Hashana, I just mixed equal parts honey, SKR and a little warm water and let it sit on my hair for about four hours. My hair loved it! Apparently my hair adores honey and coconut oil - it seems to just eat it up and come out softer and smoother on the other side. I found the aloe needed for the regular SMT and will try that soon. I also want to try honey lightening. Has anybody experienced significant hair lightening just using the small amount of honey in the SMT?

Mirrimblackfox
September 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I have a couple of questions about the SMT.
One, I don't normally condition but the ends of my hair are starting to get dry and crackely (I think the shampoo I have been using is too harsh) do you think that doing this type of treatment would be a good choice for me? (I am already looking for a new shampoo choice).
Two, I don't want to lighten my hair with the honey, will heating the solution help prevent this?
Three, I loathe fragranced products, what might be a good conditioner to try?

RadiantNeedle
September 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Ohh, just an update then.

After my first SMT, my hair felt unfamiliar, strange, elastic-y, and a little waxy. A few days after, my hair is behaving incredibly well. I'm not exactly sure what the response to the SMT itself was. I'm new, and will need to do more tries with variations in the future. But man can I say, in the days following my hair is incredible.

Could that have been from the honeycomb, d'ya think?

ZoeSophia8
September 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I have a couple of questions about the SMT.
One, I don't normally condition but the ends of my hair are starting to get dry and crackely (I think the shampoo I have been using is too harsh) do you think that doing this type of treatment would be a good choice for me? (I am already looking for a new shampoo choice).
Two, I don't want to lighten my hair with the honey, will heating the solution help prevent this?
Three, I loathe fragranced products, what might be a good conditioner to try?

Hello :D

1. I think so, although I'd also recommend checking out the CWC washing method. If you don't use conditioner and really don't want to on a daily basis, maybe just stop shampooing your length and only do your scalp? Since starting CWC I've been amazed to find that my length really doesn't need shampoo but once in a while to remove build-up if I've been using cones.

2. Yep, heating honey cooks out the natural peroxide in it.

HTH

schweedie
September 15th, 2010, 12:16 PM
My hair has been feeling weird for the past few days - I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but it just felt rough when I ran my fingers down a strand. So I figured, might as well do and SMT and see if it helps, since I hadn't done one in a while. So, I washed my hair with a relatively mild shampoo first, even the length to be sure to get rid of any buildup, and then left the SMT mixture on for a little over an hour. After I rinsed it out I actually finished with a bit of my favourite coney conditioner to seal the moisture in and give me some extra slip. I felt like pampering my hair a little today. *g*

...And now my hair is so, so soft and smooth. Even my ends are feeling silky! Win!

tevlevo
September 22nd, 2010, 01:50 AM
I am trying this tomorrow, period. :) My hair is in need of some serious help.

ZoeSophia8
September 22nd, 2010, 04:01 AM
I had very good results using Alaffia's Everyday Shea Moisturizing Conditioner tonight. My hair is softer than it's been in living memory. :p Unfortunately the ends still feel a little rough, but I think that's due to some other factor.

smileycat
September 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I think my hair hates SMT. Tried twice now, the original recipe honey and aloe mixed in Suave conditioner, and both times my hair turned into a stretchy mess and snapped easily. I fixed it by clarifying and using a protein conditioner, and now my hair is strong and happy again.

Too much of a good thing, I guess!

andwife
September 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
My past history- wash hair, blow dry hair, put up hair, forget hair...
Now- obsessed with hair... changed routine as much as possible trying to feel way in dark with much advice and information on LHC...

I did the SMT last night Aloe, Honey and Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume Conditioner.

My hair is shiny. :) and, it's soft. The problem is I have no idea if it would be shiny and soft if I was just conditioning all over because I haven't been. I have just been conditioning my ends ever since I started paying attention to my hair.

Not sure what to do next.

OH! Hubby noticed my hair was shiny all on his own. That's cool!

Aleria
October 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Did a regular SMT last night, double french braided it while asleep. I just took them out and my hair feels awesome! No idea how it looks though but my ends were feeling a bit dry and now they aren't :D I suspect this is going to be a regular thing for me.

evampr18
October 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Can I use real leaf aloe?

Cowgirl16
October 18th, 2010, 09:50 PM
:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:I just used SMT for the first time Saturday. WOW!! My hair is still so soft and shiny; I definately will be adding this to my regular regimen. Thank you Thank you Thank you for putting this out there for all us "newbies". I had heard so much about it but I couldn't find the recipe.:cheese:

Amarth
October 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Honey makes my hair frizzy, so I use agave nectar instead. It works really well for my hair. :D

unicornologist
October 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM
It even worked for me! and I used AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner! very very impressed and thankful.

jju1007
November 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Yes, SMT is the best!!! My hair loves it. I used AO honey suckle rose conditioner but I can't wait to try AO white camellia.

Thanks to this forum my hair is looking better!

Watergallop
November 3rd, 2010, 01:19 AM
I tried this today with so-so results.

I used Pantene conditioner without realizing it had Dimethicone in it. (I think that's how it's spelled?) I mixed it with the appropriate amounts of honey and fresh-leaf aloe, put it in the microwave for 20 seconds, and applied it to the length of my hair while dry.

I left it on for two hours and it made my hair oddly stick-straight and crispy. When I washed it out, my hair felt slightly better than it has lately (with just a CWC routine... I'm new to the LHC and starting out slowly with the tips and tricks), but not really noticeably better. Still frizzy with straw-like ends.

I think next time I will try it with a cone-free conditioner, and apply it to my hair while it's wet... my thinking was that if my hair had soaked in water, then it had less power to soak in the mixture. I figured my hair dry would absorb more of the moisture of the concoction than my hair wet would. But maybe that was too intense and my hair freaked out and sat crouched in a corner and concentrated on being crispy until the moisturizing ordeal was over:p.

Captain Nikki
November 3rd, 2010, 03:07 AM
I love SMT because it's the only thing i've tried that has actually helped my uber dry ends. I don't use honey though because with honey i didn't get good results. Molasses works for me. Molasses with any cone free conditioner & Fruit of the Earth Aloe Gel.

Belisarius
November 3rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Can I use real leaf aloe?
Yes, just be sure to pick the right kind of secretion from the plant.

archionblu
November 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I've been doing an SMT almost every wash for a while, just because my hair smells so awesome after and is silky! But it's getting awfully fly-away now. anyone have suggestions for that?

archionblu
November 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I have been using the SMT formula for a while, but this is the first time I've tried actually wrapping it and leaving it in for a long time before hand, instead of treating it like normal condish. I'll update later on my results! But man, my neck hurts right now because all the goop+cap+towel is really heavy!

ddiana1979
November 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Has anyone experience difficulties with the honey lightening dark hair? I'd be devastated if my hair got any lighter in color. Thanks. :)

MinderMutsig
November 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Has anyone experience difficulties with the honey lightening dark hair? I'd be devastated if my hair got any lighter in color. Thanks. :) The heat destroys the peroxide so that shouldn't be a problem.

I actually haven't heated mine because I like a couple of highlights in my blond hair.

xojennyxo
November 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I can't wait to try this :D

Aliped
November 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I haven't noticed any lightening

duh_its_Sarah
November 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
i love this. how often do you guys do it?

Tia2010
November 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I just did my first ever (modified) SMT . I didn't have aloe ( i forgot to add it to my list and was easily distracted in the store :rolleyes:) so i tried it with just Garnier triple nutrition conditioner and honey . I think my hair may have had a small overload of protein , so I wanted to try and give it some moisture. I have also never did a true clarifying shampoo so I wanted to do that first.

I oiled my hair a few days ago with coconut oil so I washed my hair first with V05 kiwi clarifying shampoo and then squeezed the water out of my hair ( so it was still a fair amount of wet) then mixed everything up , heated it for 15 seconds put it all through my hair and covered it with a shower cap and a towel. I left it on about an hour and a half , then rinsed it out.

I loved how it felt as I was rinsing it out..so soft and smooth !
and I have never ( at least for the past 15 years) tried to comb/brush my hair after a shower without first applying a good amount of detangle /leave in conditioner spray...This time I didn't use any and my hair was still easy to comb out with hardly any tangles , and the ones I did have came out without a fight. BUT I did have LOTS and LOTS of sheading!

My hair is drying now so I will have to report later as to the final results but it seems dryer than usual. But that could be due to clarifying first and the lack of leave in spray I usually have.

I will wait and see how it goes and maybe try it again without clarifying first and use aloe and molasses instead of honey on my dark hair .

Aredhel77
November 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I just did my first ever (modified) SMT . I didn't have aloe ( i forgot to add it to my list and was easily distracted in the store :rolleyes:) so i tried it with just Garnier triple nutrition conditioner and honey . I think my hair may have had a small overload of protein , so I wanted to try and give it some moisture. I have also never did a true clarifying shampoo so I wanted to do that first.

I oiled my hair a few days ago with coconut oil so I washed my hair first with V05 kiwi clarifying shampoo and then squeezed the water out of my hair ( so it was still a fair amount of wet) then mixed everything up , heated it for 15 seconds put it all through my hair and covered it with a shower cap and a towel. I left it on about an hour and a half , then rinsed it out.

I loved how it felt as I was rinsing it out..so soft and smooth !
and I have never ( at least for the past 15 years) tried to comb/brush my hair after a shower without first applying a good amount of detangle /leave in conditioner spray...This time I didn't use any and my hair was still easy to comb out with hardly any tangles , and the ones I did have came out without a fight. BUT I did have LOTS and LOTS of sheading!

My hair is drying now so I will have to report later as to the final results but it seems dryer than usual. But that could be due to clarifying first and the lack of leave in spray I usually have.

I will wait and see how it goes and maybe try it again without clarifying first and use aloe and molasses instead of honey on my dark hair .

Great, Tia2010! I've used just condish and honey before, it worked fine. Molasses also works well as a substitutle for the honey in this recipe :)

Tia2010
November 13th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm happy to report I really like the SMT , even without the aloe. I was worried because my hair felt dry and a bit rough while it was drying but when I woke up this morning and combed it out it felt very soft !

I do have frizzy kind of crazy ends but they are soft, and I think that is due more to me clarifying (2x) first ( something I never really did) so my ends are not use to being sooo clean... there use to being "glued" down by product ...so they're kind of acting out :)
I put a dab of coconut oil on the ends and brushed it and it has felt nice all day.

Next time I will try with aloe and molasses...but I'm really happy with the results :cheese: oh and the sheading did stop. Maybe that was just loose hair that the coconut oil was holding in place till after the wash and rinse.

MinderMutsig
November 14th, 2010, 01:03 AM
For me the aloe vera made all the difference. I have used a honey-conditioner mix before and my hair felt absolutely horrid after that so I was a bit reluctant to try this but I'm glad I did!
Same honey, same condish but add aloe and miracles happen.

I made too much so now I have a small bottle of SMT in my bathroom ready for whenever I think I might need it.

brelj
November 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Have to try this too!!!!!!! Get so much ideas from this forum. Want to try it all ;)

princessp
November 14th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I tried it and it definitely made my hair softer. My DH said my hair looked great, but I think it loosened my wave. Overall, if it is doing something good I don't care if my wave loosens. Especially since I might be losing wave/curl but with that I gain length :p

So I'll try this a few times then report back. I'm not sure too much information can be gathered by one go round.

MafiaPrincess
November 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I tried this last night.. Thought it was weird, but my hair was gross and figured what could it hurt. Had no decent aloe in this house, so I tried EV coconut oil, honey (which I thought was super odd), some grapeseed oil (I bought it to use on my face and my face hated it so I need ways to use it) and some tresemme cause it's my main conditioner.

My hair is softer today. Had a gentle wave today. Was a little sticky and odd with the honey in it, but it did something good.

duh_its_Sarah
November 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
love it. especially with mane and tail condish.

Tia2010
November 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Just did my second ever SMT. This time it's following a protein treatment. Last time I used just conditioner and honey because I didn't have aloe vera...This time I did Garnier triple nutrition conditioner , molasses instead of honey ( although I did like the honey last time I just wanted to try molasses in it for my dark hair), and aloe. It's drying now but hopefully I get great results again !

It feels a little different this time. My hair didn't feel as smooth and slick while rinsing it. I know my hair likes molasses because I have used that may times , so maybe it's the aloe? ( which I have never used on my hair before) or the protein treatment ( which I never did before either)...we shall see :D

hoping for great results !:pray:

MinderMutsig
November 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Just did my second ever SMT. This time it's following a protein treatment. Last time I used just conditioner and honey because I didn't have aloe vera...This time I did Garnier triple nutrition conditioner , molasses instead of honey ( although I did like the honey last time I just wanted to try molasses in it for my dark hair), and aloe. It's drying now but hopefully I get great results again !

It feels a little different this time. My hair didn't feel as smooth and slick while rinsing it. I know my hair likes molasses because I have used that may times , so maybe it's the aloe? ( which I have never used on my hair before) or the protein treatment ( which I never did before either)...we shall see :D

hoping for great results !:pray:
I felt the same way when I was rinsing it out and the first hour or so when it was drying but when my hair was fully dry it felt soft and managable and I had no frizzies.

Just conditioner and honey didn't do much for me but the aloe made all the difference.

I immediately added aloe to my mister bottles (which up until then only contained rosewater and some oils) and I don't want to go back to the pre-aloe era. The stuff is amazing.

Anje
November 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Just did my second ever SMT. This time it's following a protein treatment. ....
With my hair, I would suspect the protein treatment as the reason for the lack of smoothness. My hair isn't fond of protein and feels rough if it gets too much.

If it continues to feel icky, I'd suggest doing a second SMT (with or without aloe -- a few people don't get good results with it, as with all ingredients). Moisture seems to be the best way to get over too much protein.

LornaDoone
November 20th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I really want to try this. Now that cold, dry winter has arrived, my hair needs some moisture! :D
What would be the best way to apply this without making a mess of my bathroom? Would it work in an applicator bottle? I guessing I will need about a cup for my 36"/37" tailbone length hair. Is that about right?

Carolyn
November 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I really want to try this. Now that cold, dry winter has arrived, my hair needs some moisture! :D
What would be the best way to apply this without making a mess of my bathroom? Would it work in an applicator bottle? I guessing I will need about a cup for my 36"/37" tailbone length hair. Is that about right?I lean over the bathroom sink as I apply it. I don't nuke my mix so it isn't real runny. I use a heat cap for the heat part. My hair is 35" and I mix up 4T conditioner, 1T honey, and 1T aloe. I think that's approximately 1/2C of SMT. I have plenty to coat my hair.

Tia2010
November 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I felt the same way when I was rinsing it out and the first hour or so when it was drying but when my hair was fully dry it felt soft and managable and I had no frizzies.

Just conditioner and honey didn't do much for me but the aloe made all the difference.

I immediately added aloe to my mister bottles (which up until then only contained rosewater and some oils) and I don't want to go back to the pre-aloe era. The stuff is amazing.

After it dried it did feel soft but nowhere near as soft as the first time when I used honey , I think I may try it with honey and aloe next time. Maybe molasses just doesn't have the same effect mixed with the aloe in my hair :confused: which is funny because usually my hair like molasses.

With my hair, I would suspect the protein treatment as the reason for the lack of smoothness. My hair isn't fond of protein and feels rough if it gets too much.

If it continues to feel icky, I'd suggest doing a second SMT (with or without aloe -- a few people don't get good results with it, as with all ingredients). Moisture seems to be the best way to get over too much protein.

Yes , It may well be because of the protein treatment. It's the first one I have ever done so I'm was not sure what my hair would feel like after....My hair feels like it does after I get it color treated. Thicker but not as soft as usual...I may try another SMT with just consitioner and honey like before and try adding the aloe at a later time so I can see if it was the protein or the aloe causing the weird feeling. :)

Aurantia
November 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
What would be the best way to apply this without making a mess of my bathroom? Would it work in an applicator bottle? I guessing I will need about a cup for my 36"/37" tailbone length hair. Is that about right?

Hi LornaDoone, when I do an SMT I mix it in an old gelato container: it's a wide, symmetrical cylinder about 4" deep. Then I just dip / push the ends of my hair in by chunks until it's fully saturated; afterward I wipe the residue off the sides of the container using my fingertips and comb that through the rest of my hair below the ears.

Another adaption that has helped to reduce the mess is adding a tiny bit of water to the treatment, applying it to dry hair, then lightly misting with water. The important thing about SMT is to make sure your hair remains wet while the treatment is in, but in my experience starting with dry hair doesn't leave it crunchy.

Note: when I do an SMT I generally only coat about 4" - 6" of my ends so YMMV; if you want to apply it all over or to more of your hair using the method I described I'd imagine using a taller, slightly wider container would do the trick. :)

princessp
November 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
I did my second SMT and it really is not doing much for my hair. I might give it another go, but I am starting to think my hair just doesn't like it. Maybe I'll try it with a different conditioner.

LornaDoone
November 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
I am sitting here with my first SMT on my hair. I figured I would leave it on for several hours while I got some much needed housework done. (I'm taking a break for lunch. I'm not procrastinating on vacuuming the living room rug, I'm not ;))

I used 4 Tbsp of Nature's Gate Organics Lavender and Aloe conditioner, 4 tsp of store brand honey, and 2 tsp of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel.

I used less aloe because the conditioner has a lot of aloe in it already. The conditioner does have protein in it, but it is towards the bottom of the ingredient list and my hair seems to like protein, so I think it will work. Plus, it was the only conditioner I had. I don't usually use conditioner, I think I bought this to make some Fox's Shea Butter leave in.

I applied it to my length, made a high cinnamon bun and covered it with a shower cap. I covered the shower cap with a bandanna because who wants to go to the laundromat with a shower cap on your head? :pinktongue:

I will report back later with results.

little_cherry
November 23rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Since going natural, I've stopped using conditioner. I felt as though I needed a natural conditioner, so I made one with the Pumpkin left over from Halloween. I use this as a base for SMTs and just add a little more Molasses/honey and AVG. I posted about this conditioner in my blog.....I'm still working on the formula! So far, it has undergone 3 transformations...I'm working on the third formulation now.

LornaDoone
November 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Results from my first SMT. I left it on my hair for about four hours yesterday. (Never did vacuum the living room rug.) I had to leave before it had a chance to dry, so I damp bunned it. I took it down this morning to really super soft hair. It is wonderful! :D

Definitely doing this again.!

Cowgirl16
November 26th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I have been using SMT for several weeks and I love what it does for my coarse hair. On wash days I make sure my hair is mostly dry after the wash and on non-wash days I apply it to my dry hair. I got one of those applicator bottles from Sallys Beauty supply; I use 4oz condish, 1 oz each aloe and honey shake it, put the bottle in the microwave for 30 seconds, shake it well and then apply it to my hair starting at the top and working my way down; I put my hair in a stick bun and cover it with a cap. My favorite condish so far is Suave almond and shea butter; the smell is wonderful! I have one problem I hope someone has an answer.
No matter what condish I use (some worse some better) I have curds in my hair that are near impossible to rinse out. I have used Suave coconut, rain something, almond and shea butter; Mane and tai;, pantene; and cosco brand, they all do it:confused: I have some old honey I'm using, could that be the problem? I totally love the SMT just hate the flakes!

kdaniels8811
November 28th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Do you microwave it to warm the ingredients and throughly mix them? That is the only thing I can think of, it is not completely mixed. Good luck!

MClass
December 9th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have an aloe vera plant in my backyard.

Has anyone tried real aloe vera?

I often use it with half part honey for a nice face mask.

bluesnowflake
December 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm wanting to do a deep conditioning treatment but I don't have any aloe gel and can't get any soon. Would it work without the aloe? Is there something I could replace it with? Also, rae there other deep conditioning treatments?

bluesnowflake
December 14th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Also, will extra SMT keep if you mix up too much for one treatment?

Sisko
December 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
SMT took some tweaking to work for me. For one, I have to ensure that I shampoo my hair after a treatment. The honey also has to be proper honey, as opposed to melted sugary type of honey. If you're thinking that shampooing defeats the point, no, there is still a noticeable difference post-SMT.

I mix up 4T A'kin conditioner, 1T organic bio honey and 1T extra virgin olive or cononut oil, microwave 15 seconds, wet my hair, part it in half and then start applying from the ends upwards. Following this, I make a high cinnamon bun - pinned with two bobby pins, put a thin shower cap on, then a thicker one, and lastly a scarf. Then I go about my daily business, leaving the SMT on for a good few hours. I have also slept with this little hair arrangement in the past.

Hours later, I rinse it out, shampoo (diluted) my hair and apply less conditioner than I normally would. Success!

Never tried this with aloe, but may do in the future when I can get hold of it.

Anywhere
December 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Heh. I've had a modified-SMT on my head for 11 hours. (Modified as in I added coconut oil and EVOO instead of aloe) I'm about to wash it out... hopefully overnight wasn't "overkill" on my hair. :pray:

Cowgirl16
December 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I've also been "tweaking" my weekly SMT. I started using slightly less aloe and adding EVOO; it has made a HUGE difference in my coarse hair:cheese:

boomtownrat
January 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Yesterday I did my first SMT and it almost entirely obliterated my usual scalp itch. My hair looked and felt wonderful. I got a compliment on my hair from someone outside LHC for the first time in a couple of weeks. :)

Since I normally do the oil shampoo method I'm not sure how often I can do SMT (I'd need to clarify before every wash following an SMT), but then again, I'm considering another change of routine now that I know this can calm my itching scalp... it seems like an endless search.

I plan to see a dermatologist about my scalp, which may render all of it a moot point if he/she prescribes some kind of medicated shampoo. If I'm lucky, a dermatologist may even agree with SMT for this problem. It would be a lot nicer than having to use a harsh shampoo several times a week.

GRU
January 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Since I normally do the oil shampoo method I'm not sure how often I can do SMT (I'd need to clarify before every wash following an SMT), but then again, I'm considering another change of routine now that I know this can calm my itching scalp... it seems like an endless search.

Why would an SMT mean you have to clarify? :confused:

Unless you use a conditioner with silicone(s) in it when you made the SMT, I don't see any reason to clarify. Am I missing something?

boomtownrat
January 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Why would an SMT mean you have to clarify? :confused:

Unless you use a conditioner with silicone(s) in it when you made the SMT, I don't see any reason to clarify. Am I missing something?

From what I understand of ktani's posts to the oil shampoo thread, conditioner and aloe can both leave coatings that would make it harder for the coconut oil to saturate the hair shaft, even with no cones. It's been mentioned a couple of times, conditioner and aloe separately, but I don't remember anyone saying that they do both oil shampoo and SMTs.

GRU
January 2nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
I haven't read the entire oil shampoo thread, but as a curly who CO-washes exclusively, I'm pretty cognizant of the things that build up on the hair, and I've never heard of either of these being an issue.

:shrug:

Maybe ktani can chime in and explain what I'm missing, and maybe we need to add info to the CO-washing thread.

Bluegrass Babe
January 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM
boomtownrat, sorry to hear of your scalp problem. It is really a pain when your hair and scalp are not in agreement on one routine. :rolleyes:

I'm glad the SMT has offered some relief.

I agree with GRU, though, that you do not necessarily need to clarify before you use the oil shampoo. (Unless you have noticed this conditioner causing build-up before?)

ktani says in post #1872 "A coconut oil shampoo alone can help remove problematic coatings that can still be present even after clarifying well, over time, if the coatings are not reapplied."

Since you have only done one SMT, continuing with the oil shampoos may be all you need. Time will tell. I wouldn't clarify until you know you need it. Have you tried an acid rinse afterward? It has helped some with itchiness. If it is only the itchiness that makes the SMT necessary, maybe just use it on the scalp and not the length?

Hopefully your dermatologist will have a solution that requires only a brief, temporary treatment.

I haven't noticed if there are any regular SMT users who are doing both. Seems like it is not necessary though once saturation is reached?

boomtownrat
January 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
boomtownrat, sorry to hear of your scalp problem. It is really a pain when your hair and scalp are not in agreement on one routine. :rolleyes:

I'm glad the SMT has offered some relief.

I agree with GRU, though, that you do not necessarily need to clarify before you use the oil shampoo. (Unless you have noticed this conditioner causing build-up before?)

ktani says in post #1872 "A coconut oil shampoo alone can help remove problematic coatings that can still be present even after clarifying well, over time, if the coatings are not reapplied."

Since you have only done one SMT, continuing with the oil shampoos may be all you need. Time will tell. I wouldn't clarify until you know you need it. Have you tried an acid rinse afterward? It has helped some with itchiness. If it is only the itchiness that makes the SMT necessary, maybe just use it on the scalp and not the length?

Hopefully your dermatologist will have a solution that requires only a brief, temporary treatment.

I haven't noticed if there are any regular SMT users who are doing both. Seems like it is not necessary though once saturation is reached?

I did SMT specifically to help my scalp, but I think my hair shone more brightly after the SMT than it has looked with oil shampoo since I reached saturation. I tried using it only on my scalp, but my hair is short and so it ended up getting at least halfway down the length anyway, so I went ahead and used it on my hair as well.

When I added oil to my shampoo following the SMT, my hair was greasy. I decided to use the shampoo on its own the next time and it was better.

But I was thinking that if I need to do SMT on more than a weekly basis, buildup might become a problem - hence the part that I emphasized in bold from ktani's quote. ktani has mentioned that aloe vera gel can cause buildup, and that there are coating ingredients in most shampoos (I don't know which post number, but I believe she has said it more than once). I still don't know how long my scalp itch will be calmed from just one treatment.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully you guys are right about not needing to clarify.

ktani
January 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I did SMT specifically to help my scalp, but I think my hair shone more brightly after the SMT than it has looked with oil shampoo since I reached saturation. I tried using it only on my scalp, but my hair is short and so it ended up getting at least halfway down the length anyway, so I went ahead and used it on my hair as well.

When I added oil to my shampoo following the SMT, my hair was greasy. I decided to use the shampoo on its own the next time and it was better.

But I was thinking that if I need to do SMT on more than a weekly basis, buildup might become a problem - hence the part that I emphasized in bold from ktani's quote. ktani has mentioned that aloe vera gel can cause buildup, and that there are coating ingredients in most shampoos (I don't know which post number, but I believe she has said it more than once). I still don't know how long my scalp itch will be calmed from just one treatment.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully you guys are right about not needing to clarify.

The above quote is correct. If you you not use an SMT regularly you may not need to clarify. Reaching satuation with a coconut oil shampo can leave the hair more dull because there is too much oil and the hair cannot absorb more. Some of the lauric acid needs to be removed and in some cases, the shampoo normally used with a coconut oil shampoo is not strong enough to do that well enough.

In such cases a change of shampoo is warranted both to use on its own and with coconut oil added to it.

You are correct too. If an SMT is done regularly, both the aloe gel and the conditioner, by virtue of the amounts used will likey require you to need to clarify as the coconut oil shampo will not be able to remove the coatings and keep pace with your regular applications. Amount and frquency.

Even when coconut oil is added to a clarifying shampoo, the shampoo mix is not a clarifyer, although it can remove more coatings than when coconut oil is used with a shampoo not formulated to remove product build-up.

Bluegrass Babe
January 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM
But I was thinking that if I need to do SMT on more than a weekly basis, buildup might become a problem - I still don't know how long my scalp itch will be calmed from just one treatment.

Oh yeah... didn't consider that you would need to use it so frequently...

You are correct too. If an SMT is done regularly, both the aloe gel and the conditioner, by virtue of the amounts used will likey require you to need to clarify as the coconut oil shampo will not be able to remove the coatings and keep pace with your regular applications. Amount and frquency.

Thanks, ktani. I like the occasional SMT. I am getting supplies for the oil shampoo tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take long to figure out the correct timing in case I need both. The softness and shine of SMT with the tangle free ease of styling from the oil shampoo are too hard to resist!

boomtownrat
January 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah... didn't consider that you would need to use it so frequently...

I'm hoping that I won't. The shampoo I was using might have been exacerbating the itchy scalp that I've always gotten on day two. I'm a daily washer because of that scalp itch, and it was usually enough to keep it from being a problem. Then I started using Garnier Fructis Daily Care Fortifying Shampoo with coconut oil. It worked brilliantly for weeks, but gradually I noticed that my itching was getting worse. I didn't want it to be the shampoo, but now, post-SMT, I've switched to the new Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Fortifying Shampoo instead of the Daily Care version and I'm not having the itching of doom. Oh, there's a little bit, but no more than the dry skin of wintertime might cause. Maybe I can get by with only the occasional SMT, on my scalp only (since the oil shampoo does wonders for my hair). I am cautiously optimistic -- I have only used this new shampoo twice, after all. :)

Fethenwen
January 5th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have really learned my lesson on clarifying this time. I noticed a few days ago that my hair got so tangly that not even an SMT could help, I just thought it was the cold winter air doing it's job. But after clarifying and then doing an SMT it really worked wonders, I have had super soft non-static hair for days! Just thought I'd share :)

Bluegrass Babe
January 6th, 2011, 07:57 PM
boomtownrat, I hope the new shampoo works for you.

Fethenwen, I never thought of clarifying before using SMT! But then I always got fantastic results, so why would I? Hmmm... now I'm wondering if they could be even better? Do you apply the SMT right after or wait til the hair is only damp?

Anyone else doing both SMT's and oil shampoo? We need to keep track of how well they play together (or if SMT is even needed if oil shampoo becomes a regular routine).

I have my ingredients for the oil shampoo so SMT's are out until I find out how that goes for me. I don't want to do too many things at once.

Rivanariko
January 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I have a question. I've been wanting to try SMT partially because it's soo dry here in the winter and my hair is starting to frizz (which never happens... it's stick-straight and limp as can be normally) and because of the benefits so many people have said it had for their scalps, which is a major issue for me. I was reading the first post and saw that it was recommended never to use coney conditioners for an SMT. My hair HATES cone-free conditioners. Like, massive tangles, breakage, and falling out in clumps kind of hate, at least with Suave and VO5, I haven't tried anything else and have no complaints of my hair with cones. Has anyone else who is a normal cone-head had success with an SMT using a non-coney conditioner? Or have people found that cones can be successful with SMT? I use Aussie products, if that makes any difference. I think the one I have right now is their Aussie Moist conditioner, but it's usually whatever they have on the shelf when I need more... I haven't noticed much difference between the different types.

TIA!

jujube
January 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'd like to know that as well. Why aren't cones recommended? Is it because they'll somehow block the moisture from the honey and aloe gel?

Also, can you use aloe gel alone as a form of moisture treatment/pre-wash/conditioner? I use it on my face and it does wonders, so I was wondering how it could be used for the hair.

Rivanariko
January 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I do use aloe to help with moisture as well as a styling aid. It doesn't hold like gel does, but it does seem to help my hair maintain something like curl a little better.

Bluegrass Babe
January 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM
There are some Aussie products on the "works well" list.

You could try a very small test batch with your conditioner to see how well it mixes. (Some of the coney ones would not mix.) If there are curds then it probably won't work. If there are tiny flakes, try putting some on the back of your hand to see if they melt and rub in like lotion. If they do then it should be ok. Try it on a test strand and see how that goes. If it doesn't rub in on your hand then it won't melt in a warm shower either so I'd toss that rather than end up with sticky/waxy bits stuck in your hair.

I suggest that you skim through the posts and look for members with similar hair types to yours and see what worked (or not) for them. It will give you a good place to start.

Although some use the SMT as part of a regular wash, a lot of members use just use it as a weekly/monthly moisture treatment and still use cones with their regular washes.

Cirafly24
January 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I did an SMT Friday night with Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Silicone-free conditioner...

DOES NOT work if you heat up the mixture. After 15 seconds in the microwave, the conditioner congealed into styrofoamy textured lumps. Totally unusable, I had to start over.

However, without heat, it worked very well. Slathered it on, wrapped it up, and went to bed. Washed it out the next morning and had soft shiny hair :)

jujube
January 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
^Thanks for that. It's the very conditioner that I was going to use. I'll know not to warm it up.

heatherovka
January 10th, 2011, 01:51 PM
With my current routine I am clarifying and then doing a SMT the first or second weekend of the month. (CO the rest of the month.) I was sick last weekend and I finally got to do my SMT yesterday, yay! Boy did my hair need it, it's been so dry lately! I can see a huge difference - so much shine! My hair really loves a good SMT.
:cheese:

Joliebaby
January 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I absolutely LOVE SMT's :)
My hair is so shiny and soft and smells good too. I THINK it may be enhancing red undertones in my hair!!!!

Rivanariko
January 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Just did my first SMT tonight. Can't say I'm noticing a huge difference... I might have to adjust my recipe. Or maybe leave it on longer? I left it for about 45 minutes and used about the suggested proportions of Aussie Moist conditioner, honey and aloe vera. Would I get more moisture by using more honey or aloe?

Totte
January 19th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I finally went out and bought some Aloe Vera for the very first time today and tried an SMT earlier this evening and thus far I really like it! :3 Some parts of my hair are still a bit dry but that was expected, haha. I did a protein treatment earlier this week and now my hair is happy! I'm definitely doing this again!

Joliebaby
January 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I try to leave it on 1 1/2 to 2 hours...

Verybadhairday
January 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
does it work just as well applying onto dry hair?
I was thinking of doing it on dry hair then washing it off after simply because I don't have time at the moment to rinse it first, then rinse it off after too

Cowgirl16
January 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
does it work just as well applying onto dry hair?
I was thinking of doing it on dry hair then washing it off after simply because I don't have time at the moment to rinse it first, then rinse it off after too

I do twice weekly SMT's and usually during the week is when I apply the mixture to my dry hair. I don't wash before or after. I find my hair looks clean and feels soft. :D

Cowgirl16
January 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
I guess I should clarify a little. I do rinse after it is on my hair for 1-2 hours; but I don't use shampoo before or after.

Aredhel77
January 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
has anyone thought of trying this as a leave-in treatment? I just adapted it slightly - used one part of aloe and one part glycerin instead of honey and mixed it with my A'Kin Lavender & Anthyllis leave-in conditioner. (obviously the amounts were a lot less than a normal SMT treatment but I kept the ratios the same. Altogether it came to about the same amount that I'sdusually use for a leave-in.). Now dry, my hair feels beautifully moisturised. There is perhaps a very slight feeling of buildup (which is no doubt due to the additions of aloe and glycerin) but my curls are really well defined. I think it might be a good, occasional addition to my leave-in :-)

Paranda Belle
January 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM
My hair likes a long SMT. It's so shiny and clean afterwards.

has anyone thought of trying this as a leave-in treatment? I just adapted it slightly - used one part of aloe and one part glycerin instead of honey and mixed it with my A'Kin Lavender & Anthyllis leave-in conditioner. (obviously the amounts were a lot less than a normal SMT treatment but I kept the ratios the same. Altogether it came to about the same amount that I'sdusually use for a leave-in.). Now dry, my hair feels beautifully moisturised. There is perhaps a very slight feeling of buildup (which is no doubt due to the additions of aloe and glycerin) but my curls are really well defined. I think it might be a good, occasional addition to my leave-in :-)

Might have to try that.

Lil Red Vampire
January 25th, 2011, 06:29 AM
So I did my first official SMT this weekend. I used Coconut oil, Fruit of Earth Aloe Vera Gel and Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut.

I shampoo'd my hair and made sure it was damp before I applied everything. I put a plastic cap on it and sat under the dryer for 20 minutes. Then I decided to go ahead and sleep in it. I rinsed in the morning but couldn't really tell a difference.

I blow dried it and ran my two inch curling iron through it and I did notice it to be a bit softer. I went to work and three people told me my hair looked so soft and shiny, so it must have really worked.

Now I can't wait to do another one!

Anje
January 25th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Well, I wouldn't use it personally, but I don't like the texture of my hair when I leave conditioner in it either. Less slip... SMT with honey or glycerin would be stickier than conditioner, too, I'd think -- the drips are definitely sticky when they start to dry.

But if you like it, you like it. Everyone's hair is different, after all.

in_technicolor
January 25th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm really intrigued by this recipe! I can't wait to give it a try. Has anyone used it with Hair Cholesterol instead of conditioner? Just curious, because I have a tub of it that I haven't touched in a long time, I'm wondering if it might be a good substitute.

catiebloo
February 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'm sitting here with a plastic baggie & a turbie towel on my head with SMT on underneath it....my 1st ever try! I used Inecto Moisture Infusing Conditioner, blossom honey & a 100% Aloe Vera gel i found today in the heath store. I also added some scrapings of coconut oil....yum!

It's 8:52pm here so i'm going to leave it unto 10:30 i think then rinse & dry.....i can't wait!

Mindi Kellaway
February 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I don't have a microwave (I know, it is 2011 after all!), and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the honey lightening henna'd hair if the heat comes from a bain marie type arrangement with boiling water?

Someone earlier in this thread said that the heat from the microwave kills the peroxide in the honey, but I'm a little worried about lightening on my freshly henna'd hair, as I don't want to lose the colour.

GRU
February 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't have a microwave (I know, it is 2011 after all!), and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the honey lightening henna'd hair if the heat comes from a bain marie type arrangement with boiling water?

Someone earlier in this thread said that the heat from the microwave kills the peroxide in the honey, but I'm a little worried about lightening on my freshly henna'd hair, as I don't want to lose the colour.

It doesn't have to be nuked, just warmed significantly. A double-boiler type of arrangement would be fine.

Clytemnestra
February 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've been doing a long SMT on the weekends but substituting Castor Oil for Aloe, then rinsed out with Suave CO and diluted ACV/cold water. I get great results with amazingly soft, full hair so I am keeping this in my routine.

Mindi Kellaway
February 18th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Thanks GRU! I'm trying my SMT today, so I'll let everyone know the results! Can't wait, it sounds really good, and my hair could use a good deep moisture treatment!

Sylph
February 22nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
I used to do this very regularly, but now I'm vegan I won't be using the honey element of it. I'll have to have a bit of a trial to see how it goes.

GrowingGlory
February 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Agave might work instead of honey. It's vegan.

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I used to do this very regularly, but now I'm vegan I won't be using the honey element of it. I'll have to have a bit of a trial to see how it goes.

Glycerin is another humectant, as is molasses.

Sylph
February 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'll give molasses a go, thanks :)

GRU
February 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
You're very welcome! :)

skyblue
February 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have just used a SMT on my hair, for the second tiime,I was worried about using honey so the first time I used coconut oil with a little castor oil, I loved it! This time I used a cheap maple syrup type thing with aloe and triple condish from GF, it's not completely dry yet but I have to say my hair is soft and it feels nice and full but my ends feel a little crunchy....maybe I didn't rinse good enough? Be back when its completely dry

skyblue
February 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
I'm back ;)
It's completely dry and sooooo soft I'm having trouble keeping a bun in my hair lol!
it feels wonderful!

Dorothy
February 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I'm trying this right now w/aloe from the plant (cut off, peeled, and then grated to get the goo out), local honey, and nature's gate chamomile conditioner. I nuked the honey/aloe combo gently (not to boiling, just to warm) prior to mixing the conditioner in. No flecks or flakes or curds of any kind appeared.I have mostly henna'd over salt and pepper sorta straight can I call this waist length recently cassia'd hair w/10 inches of brown dye at the ends.

The hard part at the moment is tolerating the horrible drippy feeling I have on my head. Give me a henna mud head any day. I'm going to try to hold out for at least 2 hours, and the dude with the chinese food will be here in 45 minutes to support that. I hope I don't scare him, I smell kinda funny and I've arranged layers of cling wrap, shower cap, and multiple scarves to contain the goo.

Here's hoping for silken and not sticky. My partner is out for the evening so I'll report back later.

strigiformes
February 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I tried this last night and I'm very impressed! The dripping was pretty annoying, though. I leaned over once and sticky water came pouring out from under my shower cap! :p I'll have to be more careful next time so I don't end up with a mess to clean up.

GRU
February 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Tips for drips:

Use honey powder rather than liquid honey.... less liquid = thicker mix = fewer drips.

Use a terrycloth sweatband around the edge of your shower cap. It holds the cap tightly to your head so leaks are reduced, and it soaks up any drippies that do manage to escape!

Dorothy
February 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Gru, yes I ended up wrapping an absorbant rayon scarf around the perimeter of my shower cap to catch all that. After a while, things solidified - I think the honey humectant did its thing and sucked up all the water. I left it on for 2 hours, then rinsed by mermaid soaking in my tub several times then rinsing with clean water. I didn't wash.

And it IS silky! I don't think I have so much of the shiny effect, but it's very soft, increased volume, and I can easily run my fingers from roots to tips with no catching at all. The strands slip right past one another. Mission accomplished, and now I'm fascinated by the protien/moisture balance. My hair does not stretch much at all, so I'm thinking moisture is where it's at for now.

skyblue
February 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM
the first batch I mixed was really runny I think I heated it too long so dumped it and tried again only heating for a few seconds it was more creamy and I didn't have any runs at all just wrapping in plastic worked fine for me

3azza
February 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
This is my 3rd SMT today.
The first one was not a success. I used molasses (from a local plant, i dunno the name in english) instead of honey and it felt sticky and not clean.
The second time i used honey, and i added amla and henna powders and olive oil. It felt so soft and shiny when rinsed. So now i'm repeating with the same ingredients and hoping for the same results.
I did not use the same proportions, I used a teaspoon of each ingredient and over a cup of conditioner.

Dorothy
March 1st, 2011, 07:54 AM
Question: How long do the effects last? I liked the effects, it even smoothed down those sticky up original grey now henna'd hairs that bug me so much. It was lovely. I washed my hair again this morning and I can't tell yet if there are leftover effects. Does it only last until the next wash, or are there long term or cummulative benefits?

dragonette@1
March 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I really need to do this once a week during the winter! I made a batch today, and only kept it on for two hours, before rinsing it out. My hair feels like silk! And the shine is brilliant.

Belisarius
March 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Question: How long do the effects last? I liked the effects, it even smoothed down those sticky up original grey now henna'd hairs that bug me so much. It was lovely. I washed my hair again this morning and I can't tell yet if there are leftover effects. Does it only last until the next wash, or are there long term or cummulative benefits?
There are some long term benefits, but they accumulate slowly, you would have to do it for months every week or so.

Dorothy
March 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM
There are some long term benefits, but they accumulate slowly, you would have to do it for months every week or so.

I think I'd like to do it every other week. Barrier: harvesting Aloe Vera - I used the plant. It was a pain to harvest. I was wondering if I could put the unpeeled plant chunks in the blender and strain. Or not strain. I may try this.

GRU
March 8th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I think I'd like to do it every other week. Barrier: harvesting Aloe Vera - I used the plant. It was a pain to harvest. I was wondering if I could put the unpeeled plant chunks in the blender and strain. Or not strain. I may try this.

Sooooo much easier to spend the three bucks on a whole bottle of the stuff at Wally World. (Yeah, I'm lazy!)

Adamia
March 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I finally caved and tried this SMT that everyone swears by. My hair is so silky and smooth. All the little frizzies are gone. Snarls just slide right out. Even my mom noticed the difference. The only thing I don't like is how expensive the aloe vera is and how long this takes.

ouseljay
March 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've just tried this for the first time since so many people love it. I'm currently sitting here with my head wrapped in cling wrap and a towel, fretting a little about how it will turn out.

I used the Garnier conditioner I just picked up (also based on general recommendations), cheapo honey, and aloe juice because I couldn't find any inexpensive pure aloe gel. It turned out very liquidy, probably because of the juice, and was difficult to put on and wrap up. I'll see how it turns out in a while and report back.

ouseljay
March 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
:afro: I'm not sure I like these results! :blueeek: My hair feels soft, and the individual hairs are shiny, but each hair seems to be trying its best to get away from the surrounding hairs. It's almost... feathery? So very foofy.

I will try this again in the future, but I think I'm going to do some experimenting to control the foof first. :stirpot:

Mesmerise
March 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM
:afro: I'm not sure I like these results! :blueeek: My hair feels soft, and the individual hairs are shiny, but each hair seems to be trying its best to get away from the surrounding hairs. It's almost... feathery? So very foofy.

I will try this again in the future, but I think I'm going to do some experimenting to control the foof first. :stirpot:

Yeah, mine felt super slick and soft when I was washing it out... but FOOF when it dried!!! I need to control the darn FOOF! (I did it for the first time last night incidentally).

GRU
March 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Try Fruit Of The Earth brand aloe (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797) from Walmart. It's not expensive at all -- four bucks for a bottle that will yield dozens of SMTs.

Yeah, mine felt super slick and soft when I was washing it out... but FOOF when it dried!!! I need to control the darn FOOF! (I did it for the first time last night incidentally).

Try adding some oil (coconut, grapeseed, sweet almond, etc.) to your SMT and see if that helps with the Foof Factor.

ouseljay
March 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Try Fruit Of The Earth brand aloe (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797) from Walmart. It's not expensive at all -- four bucks for a bottle that will yield dozens of SMTs.

Try adding some oil (coconut, grapeseed, sweet almond, etc.) to your SMT and see if that helps with the Foof Factor.

Bah! I was in WalMart and saw that it had some ingredients I didn't recognize and thought I remembered that it was on the "problematic" list, so I put it back. I ended up with Lily of the Desert aloe juice from Whole Foods instead. *facepalm* My ends have gone a little crunchy now too. :(

I'll try adding some oil next time. I think next week I'm going to do a protein treatment (egg and... um) since I've discovered my hair is stretchy, and then follow with another smt.

Thank you from the newbie! :flowers:

GRU
March 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Bah! I was in WalMart and saw that it had some ingredients I didn't recognize and thought I remembered that it was on the "problematic" list, so I put it back. I ended up with Lily of the Desert aloe juice from Whole Foods instead. *facepalm* My ends have gone a little crunchy now too. :(

I'll try adding some oil next time. I think next week I'm going to do a protein treatment (egg and... um) since I've discovered my hair is stretchy, and then follow with another smt.

Thank you from the newbie! :flowers:

You're very welcome! Just make sure you get the CLEAR version of the Aloe -- the green one has medication in it for sunburn pain. The few things mentioned are preservatives (tocopheryl acetate is Vitamin E, in fact). The clear stuff is just fine to use. I even use it as hair gel when I do a slicked-back bun/braid -- it's that hair friendly! :)

xovictoryxo
March 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
oooh man. please add suave tropical coconut to the bad bad bad conditioner list!
:(
Left my hair with tons of white egg like curds/strings which did not wash out, only after washing washing conditioning conditioning then blowdrying straight did they come out. ugh! bummer... lost all the effects. tho my hair is still soft.

Sundial
March 31st, 2011, 08:48 PM
oooh man. please add suave tropical coconut to the bad bad bad conditioner list!
:(
Left my hair with tons of white egg like curds/strings which did not wash out, only after washing washing conditioning conditioning then blowdrying straight did they come out. ugh! bummer... lost all the effects. tho my hair is still soft.

It is because of the protein content right? I remember that SMTs work better with protein-free conditioners. Check your ingredient list, I believe I have seen it mentioned somewhere that Suave Tropical Coconut has protein in it

xovictoryxo
March 31st, 2011, 11:06 PM
I read the ingredients but I am not sure if they maybe name it differently?
funny it had the same effect as when I did a egg rinse with hot water and it scrambled itself :(
I will try again with Vo5 sunkissed raspberry soon as I get my hands on some.

2vette2camaro
April 1st, 2011, 09:06 AM
i LOVE this and have been doing once a week for several months. The conditioner that I LOVE to use is Suave Professionals Almond and shea butter

xovictoryxo
April 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Ok i got some sunkissed raspberry condish, I will have to try again.
I hope I love it. :)
Those bits really put me off, but my hair is lovely and soft anyways.

xovictoryxo
April 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I did try with the Raspberry kiss condish, Excellent! SO soft and lovely, I will do this once a week from now on :) My hair loved it, and it smelled wonderful too, and of course, not bits, thankfully! lol

Justy
April 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thank you for posting this recipe! My hair is loving me today. :)

I knew I was going to wash my hair yesterday so I put it into a braid using coconut oil for my morning running around, I had to get some Aloe among other things. When I got home I mixed up the concoction using Garnier Triple Nutrition for the conditioner, the same as I use for CO. The result was a bit slimy looking after it came out of the microwave but went on fine. I left it on for over 2 hrs, rinsed it off, then did a quick CO to get the last of the SMT mix and coconut oil out. My hair felt a bit greasy as it was drying but looks lovely this morning! Smooth, shiny, and soft with just a bit of extra body. I'll be doing this again for sure!

isshevital
April 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I had tried SMT 3 or 4 times before and my results were unspectacular. Not bad, but definitely not good either. My first try was with Vo5 pomegranate conditioner, honey, and aloe. I had mixed up a large batch and put it into an old, empty conditioner bottle. I think I wasn't putting enough in my hair, and I also wasn't leaving it in long enough, combined with the fact that maybe that particular conditioner wasn't the best.

I was in the shower one day and saw my bottle of SMT, thought about why it wasn't working for me, and I mindlessly decided to put some Mastey SuperPac into the bottle. I forgot that SMT's don't work out with protein in the mix, and of course that particular product is chock full of protein. Well, it left me with little white flecks all through my hair that looked like dandruff, and then I had to throw away my whole bottle of SMT and start anew.

Luckily my second batch has been the miracle worker that I was hoping for! I used a mix of 3 different conditioners (Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, Mastey Frehair, and Giovanni Wellness) with the same aloe and honey I was using before, and the resulting cream is so thick and silky and fluffy! Last night I did a heavy coconut oiling and then this morning I did a CO wash with the aforementioned Vo5 conditioner, followed by a thorough application of my new and improved SMT. Popped on a shower cap, sat under a heat cap for about 25 minutes, then put a beanie over my shower cap to keep the heat in and took about a 4 hour nap with a towel on my pillow. Woke up and panicked slightly to look in the mirror and see that my hair appeared a couple shades lighter, but it was a false alarm (the Giovanni conditioner makes my SMT a light brown color, which made my hair look lighter). My hair today is like silk, it's unreal! So shiny and soft but not weighed down.

ladylovecraft
April 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Trying this for my first time today. Used the traditional recipe with the addition of a tablespoon of EVOO. The mix didn't feel oily or greasy at all, though I wonder if it will when I rinse it out and dry... EVOO tends to be a bit heavy for me, but I'm hoping since there are a lot of other things in the mix it won't be as noticeably gross. :x

I used the VO5 Free Me Fresia as I'm almost done with the bottle and would like to finish it up soon.

Tapioca
April 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hmm. The VO5 Strawberries and Cream worked great for me for years, and now it forms clumps. Anyone know if they changed the formula?

afirefly
April 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have done this treatment twice now with excellent results. I used Redken's Butter Treat, Aloe from Trader Joe's and an organic honey. This method helped to smooth out my ends and give me a ton of body. The key is to warm the mixture without making it runny. :)

|Xei
April 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Yesterday, I discovered a very successful SMT recipe and my hair is silky, smooth, and shiny today. When my hair was drying, it felt a bit oily, but once it dried completely, it felt very clean and well moisturized and not oily at all. I don't even have any of the usual frizz I get with the original recipe.

This is what I used (I eyeball my ingredients all the time, so these amounts are just estimates):

Equal parts Garnier Triple Nutrition and L'oreal Total Repair (I think that's what it's called. It's the red and white-bottled one.)
1 heaping teaspoon of FOTE aloe gel and honey each
5-6 drops of Oshima camellia oil and Spectrum coconut oil each

If the aloe gel and honey together was one part liquid, then there was probably 6-8 parts conditioner in my mix.

What was interesting was that the L'oreal had protein as the 6th-7th ingredient, and a cone (water-soluble) way down the list, but this SMT turned out to be one of the smoothest I've ever mixed. There were no lumps at all, no white specks, and the mixture felt so smooth and creamy in my hands that it was almost like a gel.

justgreen
April 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I have to admit that I just use 50% honey, 50% conditioner. I dropped the aloe gel a long time ago. I've even put a shower cap on my hair and slept in the stuff before.

liagibba
April 17th, 2011, 08:37 PM
My hair is in need of an SMT. I've noticed my ends drying up and breaking a but, so tonight I"m going to do a light oiling tonight and a nice rich SMT tomorrow morning. I can't wait to feel the softness again!!

Nae
April 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Doing an SMT to remoisturize my hair after my latest henna treatment. For some reason it seems really dry this time. (And no, I didn't add any acid, just water.) I decided to use my Aloe and Waterlily Suave condish, honey, AVG, a dribble of glycerin and a tiny bit of EVOO. Who knows how it will turn out but I love a little mystery in life so it is all good.

isshevital
April 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Anyone here use Aubrey Organics conditioners in a large batch of SMT that sits around for weeks/months? I can't seem to find it in this thread, so perhaps it was posted somewhere else, but I thought I recalled someone who mixed up a bunch of SMT with some AO and had it go moldy on them because of the lack of preservatives in the conditioner...

I currently have a large batch of SMT with a bunch of different conditioners in it, including AO Honeysuckle Rose, and this thought only just occurred to me! I moved it to the refrigerator to be safe, but maybe the preservatives in the other conditioners will help out?

nory87
April 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM
This is a very helpful thread. I will give this a try!! :)

WaterMusic
April 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I left this on overnight, used Garnier's Pure Clean conditioner. It still wasn't moisturizing enough. I just can't find a treatment that will get enough moisture into my hair, it snaps right away when I pull on it. It keeps breaking off and splitting, no matter what I do.

GRU
April 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I left this on overnight, used Garnier's Pure Clean conditioner. It still wasn't moisturizing enough. I just can't find a treatment that will get enough moisture into my hair, it snaps right away when I pull on it. It keeps breaking off and splitting, no matter what I do.

Are you cone-free and CO-washing only, no shampoo?
Do you use a curling iron or flat-iron or blow-fryer or other heat styler?
Have you done away with a brush completely?
Do you oil your hair?

WaterMusic
April 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I am cone free and CO washing. I do not and have never heat styled (probably less than 25 times in my life, ie blow drying after salon haircuts and getting my hair straightened at parties as a preteen). I use only a wooden comb. I tried oiling my hair with coconut oil, but I started this at the same time as starting CO washing, and I found that my hair was just too lank (still felt dry though). Now that my hair has transitioned I can start adding daily oilings back in. I am using Fox's Shea Butter recipe on my ends daily.

ETA: I suspect this is due to an undiagnosed health problem. I have the same issue with my skin, painfully dry all the time. Using Eucerin Original Creme all over once or twice a day, with Eucerin lotion top ups throughout the day has kept that at bay. I need something similarly over the top moisturizing for my hair until I get my health under control. I don't want to irreparably damage my hair in the meantime, I don't want to have to grow out to BSL from my new growth in order to get my thickness back.

dazeydayze
April 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Whenever I SMT I use

4 parts Mane and Tail Conditioner
1 part Honey
1 Part J A S O N clear aloe gel

works wonders! just pop it in the microwave for ten seconds and leave it on as long as you can.

:) my curls are becoming so much healthier thanks to this treatment!

ohiomom
April 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Just did this using Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture conditioner and my hair is so much softer!
Thanks for sharing

Lildove
April 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am giving this treatment a go later tonight after I'm done clarifying my hair. I have used cone filled shampoos and conditioners for years and now I have frizz issues I can't seem to control. Hopefully a good cleaning and a nice moisture treatment will help. Keep your fingers crossed!:pray:

CrystalStar
April 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Tried this last night without the Aloe Vera gel as it's so tricky to find the 100% gel for a reasonable price!

Still worked wonders and I can't stop man-handling the end of my braid today :p

CareBear
April 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I have powdered honey. Think it'll work?

Anje
April 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I have powdered honey. Think it'll work?
I'd be hesitant. It might work, but it might be weird.

Have any other sweet syrups? Molasses or corn syrup or treacle or maple or pancake? They tend to all work, though I haven't tried treacle.

Nilam
April 28th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I love SMT! The hair gets som shiney and clean. I tend to take more and more aloe vera and honey and less conditioner, but I wont get rid of the conditioner I think, not everything.

Chetanlaiho
April 29th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I just rinsed out my first SMT ^^ been meaning to try it for a while but I could never find a good aloe vera gel. I'm afraid the one I got now isn't perfect either but we'll see how it turns out xD

Ugh, the drips were driving me crazy D= Although it wasn't as bad as the protein treatment of honey, yoghurt and olive oil I did last week, still enough to make me want to stuff paper towels along the edges of my shower cap xD

GRU
April 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Ugh, the drips were driving me crazy D= Although it wasn't as bad as the protein treatment of honey, yoghurt and olive oil I did last week, still enough to make me want to stuff paper towels along the edges of my shower cap xD

Terrycloth sweatbands for the win!

|Xei
May 1st, 2011, 03:10 AM
A couple days ago, I did an SMT with Biolage's Delicate Care conditioner, and a couple drops of camellia oil. I left it in for two hours under a towel to keep the heat in. The results were amazing! My hair was super shiny and smooth, and looked very moisturized. The results remained even after I washed today with shampoo and conditioner.

It was the first time I SMT'ed with the Biolage (I usually do it with Triple Nutrition, or a combination of Triple Nutrition and another conditioner), so I think I owe my wonderful results to it. I didn't experience any drips either due to the Biolage being a thicker conditioner. Biolage Delicate Care conditioner is good stuff, and I recommend it for anyone who is looking to make a non-drip SMT (it IS somewhat pricey though, being a salon brand and all).

perkidanman
May 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
I tried the SMT only to discover I couldn't find my honey. Ended up just doing aloe and Suave coconut (which turned out chunky). Couldn't get all the chunks out in the shower, had to shower the next day.

Finally found the honey, tried it again, worked great (some chunks but small, it's probably just from my condish) and made my hair very soft.

Strange thing is when i do this it seems like I can go longer without washing my hair again...strange.

heatherovka
May 3rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I have successfully used conditioner containing protein in my SMTs (Suave Naturals Coconut, VO5 Moisture Milks) - I just don't heat the mixture. I don't mind if it lightens my color, and to be honest I haven't noticed it doing that. I'm guessing that not heating it may be the key, as I just mix it up well and never see it get chunky or lumpy and have no problems rinsing or finding anything in my hair afterwards. Sometimes it takes a little while for the aloe to become incorporated, but it works for me.

ETA: Oh, I have used a heatcap once the stuff is ON my head, and no problems there either.

WaterMusic
May 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I've discovered that my hair loves aloe, using it just by itself makes my hair so soft. I've tried the SMT a couple of times, but found that it tends to leave my hair greasy, almost like it won't all wash out. I think I'm going to try it with a different conditioner next time.

Bioluminescence
May 6th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Regarding Aloe Vera, I've stopped using it and substituted the gel with a little bit of pure Glycerine, works just as well for me and is cheaper.

Audrey Horne
May 6th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I've done my first SMT treatment yesterday (about 3h). Added a few drops of coconut oil as well. My hair looked and felt great, it still does! I'm trilled :-)

WaterMusic
May 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've discovered that my hair loves aloe, using it just by itself makes my hair so soft. I've tried the SMT a couple of times, but found that it tends to leave my hair greasy, almost like it won't all wash out. I think I'm going to try it with a different conditioner next time.

Tried it with Suave's Refreshing Tangerine, amazing! I will be using this conditioner for SMTs in the future.

WittyWordsmith
May 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Just did my first SMT! I used Suave's Sun-Ripened Strawberry with some local honey and Aloe gel.

I did see some flakes/curds or whatever as I spread it, but everything rinsed out just fine so I'm not worried.

My hair somehow felt thicker as I was rinsing, is this normal? Just seemed to be more voluminous than usual when I rinse out conditioners. I'll take it! :)

Can't wait to see how it dries! :cheese:

CrystalStar
May 7th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Bought some Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel the other night.. I never knew how tricky it would be to get aloe vera without alcohol or pain relievers, or just other ingredients! Going to try my first 'proper' SMT tomorrow nigth with Inecto conditioner, honey and my aloe gel. :D

Mesmerise
May 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Bought some Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel the other night.. I never knew how tricky it would be to get aloe vera without alcohol or pain relievers, or just other ingredients! Going to try my first 'proper' SMT tomorrow nigth with Inecto conditioner, honey and my aloe gel. :D

On the other hand I thought it would be hard to find Fruit of the Earth aloe vera in Australia, so I googled it and bought it online, only to see it in my local Coles supermarket the other day. Ahh well at least I know now that it's easy to find ;).

CrystalStar
May 7th, 2011, 07:06 AM
On the other hand I thought it would be hard to find Fruit of the Earth aloe vera in Australia, so I googled it and bought it online, only to see it in my local Coles supermarket the other day. Ahh well at least I know now that it's easy to find ;).

I am very jealous then! :laugh: Considering I live in the UK as well I thought it would be easy but after combing through health shop after health shop and only finding burn lotion and health drinks I had to resort to the internet! :p

pixiestar
May 7th, 2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifeplan-Organic-Aloe-Vera-200ml/dp/B0043K33E8/ref=sr_1_18?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1304784360&sr=1-18

Is this aloe vera ok to use?
I think it has alcohol though:o

CrystalStar
May 8th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I overheated my SMT and my aloe-vera gel went all globby and awful :( Had to completely re-make it!

Pixiestar I think as you heat an SMT in the microwave, the alcohol might just evaporate out but don't take my word on it fully, as I have never tinkered around with aloe-vera that has alcohol in it. :)

Chetanlaiho
May 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Terrycloth sweatbands for the win!
I was already wearing one of those, and it still dripped xD (although stuffing paper towels underneath the edge of the headband seemed to help ^_^)

I feel you on the aloe vera part xD but a google search told me that I could actually get Fruit of the Earth gel right here in my own little country =D Never would've thought it but it was true xD

I'm going to do another one next week with the exact same ingredients as you (as in, same conditioner and stuff ;)) the results of the one with the 'wrong' aloe weren't fantastic but my hair seemed to detangle easier.

CrystalStar
May 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Just finished my first proper SMT and wow. It's still drying but my ends are so soft it's almost like I've used cones.. But I havn't! :D

WittyWordsmith
May 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I overheated my SMT and my aloe-vera gel went all globby and awful :( Had to completely re-make it!

I overheated mine last night too!! I just had to blow on it, stir it and wait a while to apply it. I felt like a total idiot, though. I figured that since 15 seconds didn't really seem long enough that 30 seconds would do it. It made a mess in the microwave and then I burned my fingers! :o

I do have a question, though:

When I initially made it I made it with 1 cup of Condish and 1/4 cup of the others as my "parts." I really wasn't thinking right with my measurements, but whatever.

Anyway, I separated out the bit I wanted to use both for last night and the night before. I am not refrigerating the remains (since none of the parts are refrigerated on their own, I figured that was best.) It's in a tupperware now, but I was wondering if it will go bad in the next few days or if it will keep.

Does anyone else make "batches" of it, and if so, how do you store it?

WittyWordsmith
May 8th, 2011, 11:51 PM
UPDATE:

I totally just fell in love with the SMT. Third time's a charm, and I finally did everything right!

NOTE: I mixed my batch the night before last, and 3-day old pre-mixed product is still effective. Good to know!

I used Fruit of the Earth AVG, Burleson's (local) Honey, and Suave Sun-Kissed Strawberry.

I covered in a plastic produce bag, then put my Turbie-twist on top of that. Previously, I hadn't put the second layer on and it MAKES A DIFFERENCE as to how your hair soaks up the product.

Left it on just over an hour, rinsed out nice and hot with a cold shot over my head at the very end and then let it air-dry. No braids, no clips, and I touched it as little as I could manage (which is hard since it's soft!) :D

The result is that I smell delicious and I have great, natural waves in my hair! I've tried to get waves like this, or at least tried to coax the waves I had to dry right and I just COULDN'T!

I wish I'd have done this in the morning because I can honestly say for the first time that I WANT people to see my natural hair in all its glory! No heat, no braid-created waves, just THIS!
:cheese::cheese::cheese:

celebriangel
May 10th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Did my first SMT! I didn't bother to heat it since I don't mind if my hair gets lighter, and the aloe vera should prevent most of the peroxide effects anyway (my understanding is that honey lightening is difficult to get right even with the correct recipe and dilution, so the chances of it happening by accident are not high).

It's strange; my hair felt *very* cleansed afterwards; not dry at all, but kindof "squeaky clean". However, it dried to the most incredible softness with the tiniest lick of coconut oil on the ends.

I also did a catnip tea rinse; not sure if that caused the cleansed feeling, as my scalp hair felt a little coarse after the rinse. Not so at the moment - I woke up with beautiful hair this morning! I'm so happy with it I'm wearing it in a french braid instead of a bun.

Weird thing happened though; when I rinsed it out, I got red rinse-water. Now, my hair is dyed red, but I haven't had even light pink bathwater in about 3 weeks, but this was *really* red. My hair doesn't seem to have faded though...any ideas? I'd actually be quite happy if the red was removed, because then I could henna and get a more even result, but even though I have colourfix type stuff I'm reluctant to try it.

So, odd results, but I'm delighted! The softness is just amazing. I feel like the end of my french plait is snuggling me :D

Tefnut
May 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Always wondered where that post was...will be trying this :-)

Animae
May 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I have one on my head right now, I used one TBSP of honey, and one of fruit of the earth aloe gel, and three TBSP of Retread conditioner from lush and one of the tressume naturals moisture conditioner. Its a bit drippy, but I think that is because my hair was still drippy wet when I put it on. I think if I left my hair to dry a bit more that it wouldn't drip so much. I am really looking forward to my hair smelling like retread because I LOVE the smell.

WittyWordsmith
May 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Its a bit drippy, but I think that is because my hair was still drippy wet when I put it on. I think if I left my hair to dry a bit more that it wouldn't drip so much. I am really looking forward to my hair smelling like retread because I LOVE the smell.

I did the same thing my first time. My hair was SOAKED and I only had the plastic bag to cover, I didn't think to use a towel at the time. It was a mess!

Now I make sure my hair is moist without dripping before I apply the SMT, because it's pretty wet in itself! By the time I'm done getting it all on there, I'm nice and soaked. But now I put a turbie-towel thing over the bag and it catches the drips quite nicely (aside from heating up my head and helping the process.

It's definitely a trip! :)

And your hair WILL smell very strong and lovely when you're all done!

Animae
May 10th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I can't wait, I'm leaving it on for another hour, so about two hours. I'm going to sit under my heat cap for about twenty minutes as well. I have a hat on over my shower cap right now.

kd did
May 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Is this Aloe Vera Gel ok to use in the SMT?

NOW Aloe Soothing Gel
Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis) Leaf Gel*, De-ionized Water, Potassium Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxymethyl Glycinate, Phenoxyethanol, Cucumber (Cucumis sativis) Extract, Allantoin, Vegetable Glycerine, Panthenol (Provitamin B-5), Natural Vitamin E (from mixed tocopherols), L-Arginine and Peppermint (Mentha piperita) Oil. *Certified Organic

Thanks!

Justy
May 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Is this Aloe Vera Gel ok to use in the SMT?
NOW Aloe Soothing Gel
Thanks!
That might work for you but it looks more like an "after sun" aloe to me. The aloe I got is totally clear and only has aloe and preservatives in the ingredients list. I found it in the skin care section, near the foot creams of all place, far away from the sun tan lotions. I ended up asking at the pharmacy counter if they has clear, not green, aloe and he took me right to it. Good Luck! You will love the results.

WittyWordsmith
May 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
It always feels so good to do these treatments! I wish I could do them every day! :P

My hair has been SAVED by these SMTs!

kd did
May 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
That might work for you but it looks more like an "after sun" aloe to me. The aloe I got is totally clear and only has aloe and preservatives in the ingredients list. I found it in the skin care section, near the foot creams of all place, far away from the sun tan lotions. I ended up asking at the pharmacy counter if they has clear, not green, aloe and he took me right to it. Good Luck! You will love the results.

I purchased this aloe at a local health food store. And although it says "soothing" it is not green. I would have never thought aloe vera gel would be so tough to find!

Charlotte:)
May 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Would a vinegar rinse afterwards ruin the effects of SMT? I was just wondering since the instructions say to rinse out, and then you're done.

Barniie
May 20th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Hey guys i'm sitting here with an SMT in - if i started with day-old not washed hair, do i need to shampoo it out? or should i CO wash or just WO? I've used Sunsilk's Super Shine shampoo and honey (sans aloe vera) Thanks!

P.S. Charlotte - I am doing a quick light vinegar rinse after - i think it will turn out ok!

Sundial
May 20th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Barniie I used to shampoo first before a SMT but I have been doing SMT straight for the past few SMTs without any issues. It still feels the same to me, seems to work the same way as a CO wash

Charlotte:)
May 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Ooooooh, I can't wait to try this next time I wash my hair! I'm only going to apply it below my ears, though, because I use a non-organic conditioner, and I worry about all that poison absorbing into my scalp :scared:

xoxophelia
May 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Well I just did it for the first time and am waiting for my hair to dry to tell the results. That will take awhile though.

Will get back to you all with the results. I am expecting a bit of a frizzy mess.

Sundial
May 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Will get back to you all with the results. I am expecting a bit of a frizzy mess.

If that happens, I think you can try adding oil. If I'm not wrong, some people said they add oil to their SMT mixture to counter frizziness. You can find that in earlier entries. Hope your first SMT went well for you!

celebriangel
May 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Does anyone do an SMT as part of a CO wash? I couldn't CO, because I found the lankness/greasiness after a short time irritating, but I can do it if I use an SMT. I find them very cleansing; I think it might be the honey.

Currently I oil my scalp, massage, and leave on for a while. Then I put cheap condish all over my dry hair and leave, massaging in, then rinse out. Then I put on the SMT, leave for an hour, and rinse. Bang, perfect hair!

It's weird, it always feels a bit "sqeaky" when it's wet; not dry or brittle or straw like or anything, just...very cleansed. I suppose maybe I'm still not used to the feeling of residue-free hair. But then it dries to *incredible* softness and shine.

I'm thinking of eliminating the first C altogether, just rinsing the oil for a bit then putting on the SMT. I get the feeling it might be cleansing enough.

Sundial
May 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM
celebriangel I don't shampoo or CO when I SMT now, I treat it like a CO wash and I don't experience any problems with that. I even jump to SMT straight with dry hair instead of shampooing to get rid of leave-in oils first. I started cutting out steps because I was getting tired of doing so many things, but I stuck to it when I realize that cutting out steps didn't make a difference in the results

Ashenputtel
May 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM
I just did my first SMT and it worked well even with a coney mask (I'm trying to use all my stash.

I mixed my honey and my aloe vera gel it with L'Oreal renutrition with royal jelly hair mask.

I didn't microwave it since I'm trying to get rid of my hair dye.

I did a pre shampoo coconut oiling and when directly in the shower instead of doing my usual cwc.

I must say that the result are flawless. My hair feels awesome. I'M gonna have to wait till completely dry to see if my color lightened a bit.

GRU
May 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
celebriangel I don't shampoo or CO when I SMT now, I treat it like a CO wash and I don't experience any problems with that. I even jump to SMT straight with dry hair instead of shampooing to get rid of leave-in oils first. I started cutting out steps because I was getting tired of doing so many things, but I stuck to it when I realize that cutting out steps didn't make a difference in the results

Plus, applying the SMT to dry hair means fewer drippy drip drips down your neck!

Sundial
May 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Plus, applying the SMT to dry hair means fewer drippy drip drips down your neck!

Agreed GRU! :D I can't believe what a big difference that makes! That, plus the terry sweat band tip you gave, and those drippies no longer bother me :thumbsup:

WittyWordsmith
May 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Here I sit with yet another SMT on my head. Today I decided to add 1/2 tsp of Sesame oil and 1/2 tsp of Jojoba oil as well. I'm not a fan of the sesame smell overall, but when I bury it a bit under my Suave and honey it's bearable. I'll be leaving it on for about 2 hours today while my hubby works, and I'm hoping that's enough time for the Sesame to soak into my strands. I'm out of EVOO, so this is my plan for today.

I did it on dry, relatively clean hair for the first time today. I COd yesterday, and only misted with water this morning, so we'll see how it turns out! I plan on following it up with an ACV rinse and CO to make sure the sesame smell is gone before it dries!

I don't want to smell like a Wok all night!