PDA

View Full Version : The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RoseRedDead
June 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Did it get dry under the shower cap? I read that can leave a funky feeling behind. I ended up wetting mine twice in about an hour and a half and my hair felt nice. Maybe slightly over cleansed since i put it on dry hair but i had alot of grease to get rid of.

No, it was moist the whole time. I think it's the aloe; I suspect my hair rebelled because of it.

LilyMunster
June 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
Madame J, be aware that the aloe vera plant itself will stain hair orange.

Madame J
June 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Madame J, be aware that the aloe vera plant itself will stain hair orange.

Good to know. I got J/A/S/O/N gel since I don't have an aloe plant. My hair is dark enough that it wouldn't show, but I do have a sprinkling of silvers that might not appreciate it.

Do you know how the plant is processed to remove the staining part? I've rubbed the goo that comes out of an aloe leaf on my skin and not had a stain, but I can't imagine squeezing enough goo for a SMT.

Madame J
June 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Just wanted to report that Burt's Bee's Hair Repair Shea and Grapefruit Deep Conditioner works well as a SMT conditioner. I did a SMT on my husband yesterday evening (I was bored), mixing 1:1:4 local wildflower honey:J/A/S/O/N Aloe Gel:BB Deep Conditioner. First I warmed the honey for a minute or two in a pan of hot water, then mixed in the rest, and warmed it up again, and then handed it to hubby. He washed with his normal Redken Get Clean shampoo and did the rest of his shower, then applied the SMT, pony-bunned it, wrapped it in a shower cap, and wrapped a towel over it to keep it warm for an hour and a half. After he rinsed it and it had air-dried a bit, I smoothed a teeny bit of VCO on the very ends, since he gets dry ends. His hair was really soft and shiny.

Today he didn't shower because he's working from home, and he showered late yesterday, and he says his hair is still a lot softer than it normally is. And that we are to never speak of it again :P

VanillaTresses
June 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Today he didn't shower because he's working from home, and he showered late yesterday, and he says his hair is still a lot softer than it normally is. And that we are to never speak of it again :P

Ha! That is hilarious. I will say that I <3 SMTs, but don't do them nearly enough. I have been out of FOTE aloe gel for a long time and need to get some more. Plenty of honey and Vo5 are just waiting around for their pal FOTE.

:rollin:

bahannas
June 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
In the middle of my first SMT session as we speak. One hour down; I'll rinse soon. :p

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
hihi, anyone tried this with mill creek botanical conditioner? thanks!

Madame J
June 23rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
hihi, anyone tried this with mill creek botanical conditioner? thanks!

Which conditioner? Check the label for anything called protein or amino acids (the "Keratin" conditioner has protein), or any silicones (usually end in either -cone or -silane). I've tried it now with two 'cone- and protein-free conditioners, both from brands that make "natural" hair care products, and had it mix up great.

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
i bought the jojoba one, it has hydrolyzed keratin though. is it bad? ): will the honey attract ants btw? thankyou!

Madame J
June 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
i bought the jojoba one, it has hydrolyzed keratin though. is it bad? ): will the honey attract ants btw? thankyou!

Protein can make it lumpy, I think, but I don't know that it affects how it works. The honey may attract ants, if you go outside and lay on the ground with it on your head. If you have a serious problem with ants inside, maybe you could put bay leaves on your shoulders or something (bay leaves, tea tree EO, and ACV were how I managed to keep our massive ant infestation from climbing all over my nightstand and bed in my old apartment)? If you don't see ants around normally, they are not going to crawl out of the woodwork to come eat your head.

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Madame_J : maybe im thinking too much haha.. was thinking if i rinse it in the toilet maybe ants will come. seen a few in there :O
i see ants normally in my kitchen haha

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
hi, sorry for the dumb question but, how do i know i rinsed everything out? thank you

Katze
June 24th, 2009, 03:12 AM
hi, sorry for the dumb question but, how do i know i rinsed everything out? thank you

your hair isn't sticky and feels smooth and soft, and the water coming out of your rinse doesn't bubble or foam.

it might take a couple of tries until you "feel" what it is like.

have fun (I love SMTs)

Katze

iceyblue
June 24th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Katze : hihi! i tried it last night, , now my hair is very soft,shiny and smooth ! i used some shampoo to wash it out though, was afraid i didnt wash it clean.
i had quite alot of hair dropping out, think i should avoid the scalp next time.

thanks!

Katze
June 24th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Katze : hihi! i tried it last night, , now my hair is very soft,shiny and smooth ! i used some shampoo to wash it out though, was afraid i didnt wash it clean.
i had quite alot of hair dropping out, think i should avoid the scalp next time.

thanks!

SMT does not cause hair to fall out. In my case, because I have a sensitive scalp and often get sebhorreic dermatitis or eczema, the honey is soothing and calming to the scalp. Otherwise I do not put conditioner on my scalp, ever - it gets too greasy.

What you are probably seeing is the hair that would have shed anyway.

I personally find it is better if I do NOT shampoo my hair after a deep moisturizing treatment, but I have used SMT as a CWC (condition, wash, condition) and left the last SMT application on longer. If you shampoo it, IMO, you are defeating the purpose of the treatment.

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Though SMT itself doesn't usually cause shedding, those with a sensitive scalp (an example I can think of this would be Girlcat, who can only SMT her length) can experience issues with them, including some shedding/scalp breaking out.

It's usually just irritation from something in the conditioner, I'd be willing to guess.

Natalia
June 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Did another SMT the other day. Did black strap molassas instead of honey to help give my roots some tint. I also switched to my new AO HSR which is when i experianced that lumpy thing everyone talked about :(. Good news it though im sure its been mentioned before my little supplement mixer fixed it up in two seconds :D. You can get them ay healthfood/vitamin store sonline if anyone needs one. They are battery powered so they are great portible devices.

Even in one treatment the molasses left a slight tint on my very light blond roots. They dont blend my any means but at least they dont glow compared to my dark length anymore thank god. I did a ACV rinse this last time since the HSR is so moisturizing. Glad i did too. I was absent minded and put on my 3 drops of grapeseed on before i realized that it was way overkill with such a moisturizing conditioner :rolleyes: . I think i will keep the ACV rinse as long as im using the HSR. I damped my hair with a spray bottle and blotted the second day to get rid of the stringyness now my hair is great!

Cant wait till my next one. Probably in 3 or 4 days :D

ljkforu
June 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Did another SMT the other day. Did black strap molassas instead of honey to help give my roots some tint. I also switched to my new AO HSR which is when i experianced that lumpy thing everyone talked about :(. Good news it though im sure its been mentioned before my little supplement mixer fixed it up in two seconds :D. You can get them ay healthfood/vitamin store sonline if anyone needs one. They are battery powered so they are great portible devices.

Even in one treatment the molasses left a slight tint on my very light blond roots. They dont blend my any means but at least they dont glow compared to my dark length anymore thank god. I did a ACV rinse this last time since the HSR is so moisturizing. Glad i did too. I was absent minded and put on my 3 drops of grapeseed on before i realized that it was way overkill with such a moisturizing conditioner :rolleyes: . I think i will keep the ACV rinse as long as im using the HSR. I damped my hair with a spray bottle and blotted the second day to get rid of the stringyness now my hair is great!

Cant wait till my next one. Probably in 3 or 4 days :D
I can't say enough positive about using a mixer to smooth things out.

krissykins
June 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
SMT's have been hit and miss for me. The first time I tried with Aussie 3MM. MY hair definitely did not like it and the smell gave me a headache so I only got to keep it on for an hour.

The second time, I tried with VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie and my hair loved it!

The third and fourth time, I did it the same way as the second time but I didn't have the same results. I will have to try with a different conditioner because I'm pretty sure that conditioner has protein in it.

shadowclaw
June 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have been previously doing my SMTs with Aussie Deeeeep 3MM, which is a very coney product (has two cones). It smells great to me and worked very well. However, I am currently trying out going no cones, and I did an SMT last week with V05 Herbal Escapes moisturizing conditioner (with "free me fresia"). It did not turn out well at all. The V05 seemed very thin and watery, and my hair felt rough afterwards. Additionally, I also normally use a touch of Ion Effective Care Treatment in my SMT, which I left out this time.

Has anyone else tried this particular conditioner and had good results? My hair is reacting quite positively to no cones, and I may try doing an SMT with one of my organic cone-free conditioners (I'm currently loving Nature's Gate Organics chamomile & lemon verbana). However, the stuff is expensive and I use a lot for an SMT. It's $5.99 for a 12 oz bottle, vs $.99 for a 15 oz bottle of V05.

ReddishRocks
June 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hey what about maybe Agave Nectar???

I'm pretty careful with my hair color, and using honey on my hair for any length of time scares the bleep outta me! ;) I don't know a lot about agave nectar... just that most people consider it a humectant similar to honey, but without the chemical properties that would create hydrogen peroxide. :D

Last night, I used 4 parts Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm from Sally's, 1 part Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (the clear kind... which is the only kind I've ever seen, but maybe there are others?), and 1 part Madhava Agave Nectar (http://www.madhavasagave.com/AboutAgave.aspx) in Amber (there are other varieties that I haven't tried). I stirred well, then nuked all that in the microwave for about 10 seconds. It came out like a dream - very creamy after I restirred it.

I co-washed, detangled, slopped it on my hair, plopped on my shower cap, and slept on the mess. After washing and styling, I could DEFINITELY tell that it had done its job! :heartbeat

Jinx2234
June 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
SMT helped my hair so much. It's the first thing I tried after finding the LHC, and I was able to feel the difference in my hair after the first use. Thank you Snowymoon (and everyone else who posted their opinions/variations of the recipe)!

Madame J
July 4th, 2009, 01:42 PM
The Nature's Gate Daily Herbal isn't organic, but it's cheaper, if you can stand the smell (very spicy/herbal). I did an SMT today with that, J/A/S/O/N aloe gel, and local wildflower honey. I used my modified, no-microwave heating technique and pre-heated the honey for a minute or two before mixing everything else in. Came out very smooth.

I've been at a conference in rural NH for a week, where I had brought my shampoo bar, 1 Tbsp. of ACV, and some shea balm. I washed once during the week, and did Snowy's scalp massage and WO the rest of the week, with mixed results. By the time I got home, the mixture of sweat, oil, and various dirt on my scalp left me feeling gross.

So I started with a scalp massage with a large handful of fine sea salt mixed with a drop of Rosemary EO, a drop of Tea Tree EO, and enough sunflower oil to make a paste. I massaged it in, and let it sit for a couple minutes while I mixed up the SMT. I first rinsed out the salt and rinsed with diluted ACV and rinsed with water again. Then I washed with a mix of Dr. Bronner's soap and baking soda, diluted with water, to clarify, and washed again with plain Dr. B's to make sure the oil was gone. Then I slathered on the SMT, shower-capped it, and wrapped a turban around it to keep it warm. I left that on for about an hour, then rinsed well, did another ACV rinse, and rinsed again, finishing with cold water. I combed it out and left it to dry for an hour and a half, and then spritzed a little Kimberlily defrizz spray on the very ends and let it dry completely. It now feels very soft, and clean, and my scalp feels much nicer. Was like a mini-hair-spa-day.

nowxisxforever
July 4th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I tried this and I must say, while I like what it did to my ends, it really made my scalp get oily quickly, however soft it was afterwards. I think I'll be doing this in the future (straining out the solids...) for just my ends and only when DBF isn't home or not before bedtime! He wouldn't come near me and said my head smelled "potent". Moreso than with the henna, believe it or not!

Flynn
July 5th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Tried a version of this the other night:

First, tried 4:1:1 of [Alchemy] very gentle unscented conditioner : treacle (or "black treacle" if you rather...) : FOTE AVG. (Yeah, I got slack.) The conditioner is cone-free but protein-containing, and the mix curdled to the point of being unusable.

Second, used DermaVeen Colloidal Oatmeal conditioner (which contains dimethicone, but is light on protein), treacle and FOTE AVG, BUT I didn't mix them first. I applied conditioner, treacle, AVG, conditioner, a little extra warm water and more conditioner directly onto my hair in that order, in an approximate 4:1:1 ratio, mushed it around a bit, bunned, plastic-bagged and wrapped in a towel. Left for twenty minutes, then rinsed. It rinsed out very easily. I did not get observable darkening or enhancement of my colour (which is darkish golden-brown anyway) from the treacle, but it did come out soft, silky and lovely -- better than I had been expecting.

Desideira
July 6th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I used this today in the moring and leave it on for almost two hours and I really liek it. I was afraid that it will be too haavy but it turnued out really good:)

I used yes to carrots conditioner and I like how it worked althought my hair may still need more moisture. Or mayby I need to sue it more regulary

I used alos organic aloe vera juice instead of aloe gel. This treatement is really good. i am happy that I found this recipie and I will continue to use it:cheese:

ljkforu
July 8th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I used this today in the moring and leave it on for almost two hours and I really liek it. I was afraid that it will be too haavy but it turnued out really good:)

I used yes to carrots conditioner and I like how it worked althought my hair may still need more moisture. Or mayby I need to sue it more regulary

I used alos organic aloe vera juice instead of aloe gel. This treatement is really good. i am happy that I found this recipie and I will continue to use it:cheese:
What is Carrot Conditioner? I probably can't get it but wanted to know.

Did you use honey?

GlassEyes
July 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yes to Carrots is a brand of conditioner. Target has it, maybe? o-o;; I can't remember, but a google search should tell you.

swirlytresses
July 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
You can also find "Yes to Carrots" at Walgreens and most supermarkets. Hope this helps. :)

ljkforu
July 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yes to Carrots is a brand of conditioner. Target has it, maybe? o-o;; I can't remember, but a google search should tell you.

You can also find "Yes to Carrots" at Walgreens and most supermarkets. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks to all I have all of those stores. And, I learned how to finally multi-quote OMG!!!!!

Flynn
July 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM
(Is the original post still being updated?)

Desideira
July 11th, 2009, 02:09 AM
What is Carrot Conditioner? I probably can't get it but wanted to know.

Did you use honey?

:)
Yes I added some honey but withaut heating it because I would be happy if it would make my color a little lighter.:) I live in Poland and here Yes to carrots brand is avalible at sephora but i am sure it other post says it s in Targets (obviously we dont have it here) then they are right.:) I wonder how the mask by this brand would work becasue it has more rich texture and more in tesive action. :rolleyes:

enfys
July 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
This had better work....

We'll see in an hour and a half...

Update: Washed/rinsed out easily I think. I'm glad it didn't smell too bad since I really hate the smell of honey.

Is it meant to feel a bit foamy? I think I might have beaten it more than stirred it. I also made way too much. I went for 1 part as 2 tablespoons, so ended up with 12 tablespoons of goop. This was more than enough to cover thick waist length hair. Next time I will try and go for 1 part as 1.5 tablespoons.

I'm assuming there will be a next time. We'll see after drying.

enfys
July 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Next day update

Hair feels amazing. I like this game. I rarely condition my scalp hair this thoroughly but it doesn't look greasy. The bits that feel rough are just the ends of my layers, but that's simply because of the hair ends, not the condition of them. I will get the other half to do a stroke test later, and my monthly pic will show the effects too.

I didn't warm it much, I just left the pot in hot water while I washed my hair. What is the purpose of warming? I know killing the honey lightening effect is one, and from now on I will nuke it, but is that the sole purpose?

ancilla
July 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
^^ I'm sure it is warmed to penetrate the hair better as well :)

ChrissieM
July 31st, 2009, 07:53 AM
I did my first SMT a few days ago and it is wonderful! I used 1T honey, 1T aloe gel (Fruit of the earth - clear), and Suave Juicy Green Apple conditioner. I heated the honey, mixed the other things in (it turned out a bit lumpy, but I only stirred it with my fingers), washed my hair and massaged this stuff in. I put on a showercap and watched TV for a half-hour, then went to rinse. I could tell that it had soaked into my hair because it didn't feel like I had as much on. I rinsed....my hair felt amazingly thick in the shower. When it dried, my hair was thick, heavy, and glossy, with a blinding shine all the way to the ends of my hair. I was doing an S&D yesterday and marveling at the shiny split ends.

Maddy25
August 5th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Oh my goodness! I did this last night and I'm not exagerating, my hair has never been so pretty! Ive used so many coney shine sprays and leave ins before and nothing compares to this!

I changed it a bit and added in coconut oil instead of aloe and let it sit warm wrapped in a bag and a towel for 1.5 hours, then did a cold rinse after! I will be doing this much more, not only is my hair insanly sort but the flyaways are reduced a ton and it looks so healthy! Plus, it smells awesome because I used Suave tropical coconut, yum!

LutraLutra
August 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM
My current recipe is -

1 dessert spoon honey (heated to kill peroxide)
2 dessert spoons Neals Yard Rose conditioner
&#189; dessert spoon Dr Organic Aloe Gel
5 drops Anita Grant Organic Vanilla & Sweet Almond Oil

Applied to damp, clarified hair, wrapped in clingfilm and left on for about 2 hours. Result is lovely, lovely hair that smells of honey and vanilla. Yummy.

Reptilia
August 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
It's been awhile since I did an SMT, I think I'm due! I'm going to try to convince DBF to do it with me, lol. He's growing his hair out as well and has really coarse curly hair, I think he would be impressed with the results an SMT could give him!

pink.sara
August 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM
WOW!:D
Thank you so much for inventing this! (And re-posting)

After thinking my crispy horrible ends were down to bleaching I tried clarifying with Neutrogena and doing this treatment with a non-protein conditioner (V05 Raspberry).
Results?
Pure hair heaven! Mixed up honey, Aloe vera (from my plant) and V05 then sat in warm water to melt together a bit ...left in for 2 hours and the result was lovely.
The peroxide in the honey has obviously brightened my blonde (which was looking a bit grey after too much Nexxus violet shampoo) and it looks shiny and healthy for the first time in months.
I'm throwing out Every Single Protein conditioner in the house and enjoying how baby soft my hair finally feels :D

LHC I love you! Growing my hair now doesn't look like being such a long hard road ;)

girloctopus
August 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I've done two SMTs, and the first was excellent! The second didn't turn out as well, however. I used Suave tangerine instead of the Suave strawberry that I used before, and it made like white clots/curds that I think have been mentioned before as a possible problem. It took forever to rinse out! Oh well.

I found V05 Sun-Kissed Raspberry FINALLY at Longs/CVS and that is what I'm going to use next time I do a SMT. I never thought I'd be so excited over a conditioner!

Nyghtingale
August 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I've done two SMTs, and the first was excellent! The second didn't turn out as well, however. I used Suave tangerine instead of the Suave strawberry that I used before, and it made like white clots/curds that I think have been mentioned before as a possible problem. It took forever to rinse out! Oh well.

I found V05 Sun-Kissed Raspberry FINALLY at Longs/CVS and that is what I'm going to use next time I do a SMT. I never thought I'd be so excited over a conditioner!

I had the same problem with the tangerine. It smells good, but is not good for SMT.

kdaniels8811
August 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I am trying an SMT with molasses instead of honey on my head, will report on how it turns out. I did read that you should use molasses on damp hair instead of dry as it is more of a humecant than honey. Just if anyone else is interested in trying it. Those of you using molasses, do you apply to damp or dry hair?

NiAosSi
August 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
This concoction is a lifesaver! My ends have been crunchy and overall hair texture really bad because of my pregnancy. I made this three days ago and my hair feels so soft and fluffy. No more crunchy ends. I plan on using it every week when I wash until my hair no longer needs it so often. :inlove:

Sherri
August 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I am doing this today. I have been having crunchy ends for a while now and forgot all about this treatment or just keep putting it off because I don't want to walk around with goop on my head for hours.

Sherri
August 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Well my hair feels really soft but I had a little trouble washing it out this time. Had to rinse my hair twice and I still have little chunks of conditioner stuck in my hair. May have to soak it in the tub. My hair didn't feel dry when I went to rinse it out but i did leave it on for about 2 or 3 hours(I think).

Fethenwen
August 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Have anyone tried to do an SMT with aloe vera juice instead of the geel? I'm thinking about buying some, but I wonder if it will be too runny?

eternallyverdan
August 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM
^^ Along the same lines, how about blended aloe vera solids? I have some and I don't know what else to do with them. Would they make it too clumpy?

concrescence
August 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I did my first SMT last night. Overall results were good. My hair is super soft (although it was already pretty soft since I CO wash). My only complaint is that my ends are frizzy and straight on one side (my badly behaved side). This could be from the honey, as others have reported. It could also be from sleeping on loose damp hair. That usually takes out my wave.

I used:
-Alverde Aloe Hibiscus conditioner
-Some local brand of clover honey
-Store brand of Aloe Vera Gel that I picked up in a bio (organic) health and beauty store in the Amsterdam train station (AVG is really hard to find in Germany for some reason)
-a little coconut oil

I don't have a microwave, so I just stuck the bowl I mixed it in into really hot water in the sink. I doubt it heated it up enough to neutralize the peroxide in the honey, though. Luckily, it didn't seem to lighten my medium brown hair. Next time, I might be less lazy and set up a double boiler or I might use molasses instead.

No chunks. Easy to apply. I had CWC washed my hair with Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout and American Cream, so my hair was already clean. The SMT rinsed out easily, and I didn't have to use shampoo or anything to aid in removal.

Sherri
August 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I'm having a little problem. So far i have done this 2-3 times. I heat it for about 15 seconds. But it has these little...white things in it. So i thought maybe its normal? and i put it in my hair and their were white things everywhere in my hair from the mix. Had to wash it out of my hair:o
ive tried to heat it for less time but i was worried about lighting effects.
Am i doing something wrong? These white specks that are in the mix are annoying and hard to get out. I use clear aloe vera, honey, and Vo5 free me freesia. I dont know what could be causing this? Maybe the condictioner cooked a little?:confused:
Hoping for some answers!
thanks!:D
This is exactly what happened to me? It must be the conditioner! I will have to try this again with another conditioner and see if that helps.

jlpearce
August 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I hope someone is still watching this thread! This might be a stupid question, but where can I find aloe? I looked in the CVS nearest me, but all I could find was the stuff you put on sunburns. I looked very carefully in the haircare aisle, including in the ethnic care section. If you could give me a specific place to look, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

masterofmidgets
August 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I hope someone is still watching this thread! This might be a stupid question, but where can I find aloe? I looked in the CVS nearest me, but all I could find was the stuff you put on sunburns. I looked very carefully in the haircare aisle, including in the ethnic care section. If you could give me a specific place to look, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
You might try the body lotions section, rather than haircare. That's where I finally found the aloe gel at Wal-Mart, after four or five futile trips. :D

jlpearce
August 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I went to the Organic market and found J/A/S/O/N Aloe vera 98&#37; moisturizing gel. On the front page it says the JASON gel is good, but is this the same thing? It has aloe, water, vegetable glycerin, allantoin, polysorbate 20, panthenol (vitamin B5), potassium carbomer, arginine, natural menthol, benzyl alcohol, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, chlorophyllin-copper complex, fragrance oil blend

kdaniels8811
August 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM
You are looking for 100&#37; aloe vera. I found it in with the sunscreen products at WalMart. It is clear and is used for soothing sunburns. Good luck!

Nyghtingale
August 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Yep, I found mine in sunscreen section at walmart here too (Fruit of the Earth). The white chunks are from the conditioner. I switched to the VO5 Tea Therapy conditioner and don't get the white bits anymore.

tangocurl
August 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hi y'all...it has been---what, a year and a half since posting here? :disgust: I had forgotten how much I learned and enjoyed here. Anyway, I finally did SMT and got beautiful results. I remembered it and looked it up here a couple weeks ago when I was tempted to chop off a lot of length. I am so glad that I did not.

I have done the treatment twice now--using VO5 Chamomile tea conditioner, clover honey out of the bear-shaped bottle, and Lily of the Desert aloe. This is truly everything people say it is. I wish I could give many other things in life an SMT. Thanks Snowymoon and LHC. :cool:

heynormy
August 10th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm going to try this tomorrow! I finally found some aloe vera gel (completely made my day!) at target and I think this is what my hair is looking for! I must report back with results!

Fethenwen
August 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm still marveling at my hair since I did my first SMT yesterday :D It was not fully a SMT, I used a conditioner with pure aloe vera instead of pure aloe gel. But it did surely do the trick anyway, I had no idea! I thought my hair was well moisturized, but this goes so beyond! My hair is just so super shiny and soft, it's unbelievable!
I mixed a conditioner with protein and the aloe conditioner + a teaspoon of honey. Warmed it up, had it in my hair for about an hour. I had also no problems rinsing it out, it came out without leaving my hair feel any coated.

This will definitely go into my haircare routine from now on! :cheese: I think this is the missing key to go from nice hair condition to super nice hair condition.

girloctopus
August 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm still marveling at my hair since I did my first SMT yesterday :D It was not fully a SMT, I used a conditioner with pure aloe vera instead of pure aloe gel. But it did surely do the trick anyway, I had no idea! I thought my hair was well moisturized, but this goes so beyond! My hair is just so super shiny and soft, it's unbelievable!
I mixed a conditioner with protein and the aloe conditioner + a teaspoon of honey. Warmed it up, had it in my hair for about an hour. I had also no problems rinsing it out, it came out without leaving my hair feel any coated.

This will definitely go into my haircare routine from now on! :cheese: I think this is the missing key to go from nice hair condition to super nice hair condition.

I remember the marveling that I did after my first SMT! It's really amazing. I think the aloe and honey are the key for me, because just doing an extended conditioning treatment with just conditioner doesn't quite do the trick. I think I'm going to start doing CO washes with the SMT mix because it feels much better on my scalp. Regular CO leaves my scalp itchy.

Indigosails
August 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I tried the SMT for the first time today. 4 parts Suave coconut conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe. Warmed in microwave. It mixed together perfectly. Applied to clean, wet hair.(I had used a clarifying shampoo first.) I put my hair up in a bun, in a plastic bag and covered everything with a towel. I left it in for an hour. Rinsed, rinsed and rinsed. I'm not sure what I think. While wet, my hair was very tangley. I figured that was becasue I hadn't used my usual coney conditioner. I put it up in a bun to dry. Now that it is dry, I don't have my usual waves. My hair feels different and seems dull. My hair maybe one of the few that doesn't like this. Or maybe it just didn't need it.:shrug:

It is interesting to see all the different results.

Idun
August 13th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I went to the Organic market and found J/A/S/O/N Aloe vera 98% moisturizing gel. On the front page it says the JASON gel is good, but is this the same thing? It has aloe, water, vegetable glycerin, allantoin, polysorbate 20, panthenol (vitamin B5), potassium carbomer, arginine, natural menthol, benzyl alcohol, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, chlorophyllin-copper complex, fragrance oil blend

I used J/A/S/O/N and it worked like a charm :).

Commedia
August 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum although I've been lurking for awhile. I really am so impressed with the wealth of knowledge here.

Yesterday, I had my first henna experiment (using Henn&#233; Color Neutral Henna) and my hair felt a bit weird today, but my reading indicates that this is actually pretty normal and that a moisture treatment is recommended. So I am dutifully following this advice! I'm currently wearing one of my boyfriend's T-shirts wrapped around my head; underneath it, a layer of clingfilm (plastic wrap to Americans); and beneath that I've got my hair marinating in a mix of Garnier Oil Repair (you can find the ingredients here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=683089&postcount=25)) and raw honey.

Will report back in an hour or so!

Commedia
August 14th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Okay, so it's been a little longer than an hour, but here's my update.

When I rinsed my hair out in the shower after about an hour, the hair felt really soft, but as it air dried it began losing some of that softness and started to frizz. It might possibly be due to the fact that it's very humid at the moment, but in any case I smoothed on some L'Oreal Elvive Re-Nutrition Night Elixir leave-in condish (contains glycerine and cones) and that helped tame the frizzies.

Today (the next morning) my hair is soft, although still a bit frizzy, and a few minutes ago a colleague petted my hair and said it looked gorgeous today... so I guess the treatment certainly didn't hurt! Next time I will try it with the aloe.

halo_tightens
August 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Well, I just did my first-ever SMT! I shampooed all my hair first with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo to remove all 'cone residue, then wrapped my hair up in a towel while I made the mix. I used Fruit of the Earth AVG, cheapo generic honey, and Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner. I applied it very liberally, applied plastic wrap and a towel, and left it to sit for about three or four hours before rinsing.
My hair is still a teeny bit damp and I do need to go to bed now, but so far my hair does seem to be wonderfully moisturized. I'm spoiled on 'cones, so I do miss the extreme slickness that I'm used to, but I'd love to be able to get by long-term without all the 'cones.
I'll let everyone know how I feel about my hair in the morning. I'm hoping like heck that this does turn out well, because if it does, I'll make this my new routine and finally be able to live without the 'cones. Here's hoping!! :hifive:

RoseRedDead
August 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Okay. I have not done an SMT in a long time. My results were never very favourable... So now I'm trying it again, using glycerin and molasses in place of aloe gel and honey.

Let's do this thing.

Sarah4983
August 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I've had the mixture on my hair for about an hour so far... planning on leaving it in for another hour or two before rinsing out.
(used 1 part fote aloe, 1 part (2 year old) honey, and 4 parts GVP conditioning balm from sally's.

I'll update with the results.

My only concern is the possibility of the honey lightening my hair color.... especially since it's 2 years old :confused:

Sarah4983
August 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Okay hair is about 75% dry, and feels great, but what's up with these little hairs sticking out all over my length?!? Haha this is completely new and I'm not sure what to do.
Maybe the moisture causes this flyaway thing?

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Suave Tropical Coconut curdles for me every time, protein I suppose.
Trying with VO5 tonight :)

AnnaMarie
August 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I use VO5 strawberrys and cream and it works perfectly every time. I just did a SMT on sunday and I LOVE IT, every time I do it I'm reminded how great this treatment is!! It makes my hair so soft and shiny, hair happiness :crush:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa303/AceyHorse/hair2489008.jpg
This photo was taken the day after my SMT, see its smiling ;)

Sissy
August 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Okay hair is about 75% dry, and feels great, but what's up with these little hairs sticking out all over my length?!? Haha this is completely new and I'm not sure what to do.
Maybe the moisture causes this flyaway thing?

It's the honey, if you're in a humid environment the honey, which is a humectant, is attracting and retaining the moisture from the air and causing the frizzies. That's what I think anyhow.

Sissy
August 26th, 2009, 01:00 PM
My only concern is the possibility of the honey lightening my hair color.... especially since it's 2 years old :confused:

This is my concern too, which is why I've switched to molasses (which may possibly slightly darken hair but at least it won't lighten it).

Sissy
August 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
OK, so I haven't done a beloved SMT in forever (laziness)! I decided it was a high time to try one again. I used a slightly new recipe. I started out with 4 tbs of GVP Boilage Conditioning Balm, 1 tbs of molasses, 1 tbs of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel, and 1 tsp of castor oil.

* Note I am using the molasses as my humectant (instead of honey) as I do not want the hair lightening effects of honey (I want my hair darker). I also added the castor oil for it's moisturizing properties and because it might possibly aid in darkening hair.

I nuked it in the microwave and it came out soupy...too soupy to apply (I prefer it more along the lines of a gel consistency). So, I added a couple more tablespoons of conditioner (Aura Cherry Almond Bark condish this time) and a small scoop of shea butter. I ended up with some slight curds due to the shea butter, which is my own fault because I added it room temperature and did not reheat the mixture.

I am sitting under my heat cap now and will post the results later. The mixture went on my hair well although it did look gross... lightish brown with chunks:D

Will report results later. I'll probably sit under the heat cap for half and hour then leave it on another hour while I clean the kitchen. It's nice being on vacation!

Sissy
August 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
So, around 5 hours later (I got tied up cleaning and such) I washed the SMT out. Keep in mind I wanted to try with molasses instead of honey to prevent lightening of my hair.

The Results:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2161&pictureid=48914
I didn't notice any immediate darkening of my hair but I wasn't expecting to as it has been said that both molasses and castor oil can darken hair with PROLONGED use. The results of the way the SMT treated my hair were good. My hair felt soft although I did feel the need to use my leave-ins as I didn't want to risk frizzy hair (have somewhere important to be tomorrow morning). This above picture is my hair post SMT air dried with my leave-ins applied. My current leave-ins are Giovanni Vita-Pro Fusion, Boisilk, and GVP Sebastion Potion 9 (the last two have cones to help seal in moisture and protect my hair).

I think I'll always use molasses in my SMTs from now on (worked just as well as honey for me). Now if I could only remember to do them more often perhaps I'd have softer and darker hair! :cheese:

AnnaMarie
August 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Looks gorgous Sissy :)

Sissy
August 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Looks gorgous Sissy :)

Thanks! It just feels good to know I can do an SMT without honey. I really wasn't keen on the potential for hair lightening from using honey.

Reptilia
August 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Wow, what a difference the aloe makes!! I had done an SMT twice before, but just with whatever aloe I could find, and it had alcohol in it. It DID make my hair soft, but last night I got some REAL aloe (lily of the desert) and I'm just amazed at the results! My hair is sooo soft and silky :D

Katze
August 29th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks! It just feels good to know I can do an SMT without honey. I really wasn't keen on the potential for hair lightening from using honey.

I think the difference is that honey is antibacterial and humectant, whereas other sugars are just humectant. I prefer honey in my SMTs for this reason, as I have the feeling it works well against dandruff, sebhorreic dermatitis, and itching.

Also, I have been using honey for a long time on my face without ever having it lighten my hairline (I wish!) so I think you can usually use it safely without worrying about lightening hair. Even when I tried to lighten my or my DH's hair with honey, I did not see any difference on either hair. Just my two cents.

irishcurls
August 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I did a smt!!! I forgot to microwave it but it still made my hear feel and look great!!

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Today I did another SMT with molasses.

I used:
4tbs of GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm
1tbs of FOTE Aloe Vera
1tbs of Molasses
2 tsp of castor oil

I did not microwave it as I didn't want it to get soupy. It mixed together nice consistency for applying and I have a heat cap that I sit under anyhow so I didn't think the microwaving would matter. It didn't have curds, which was great. However, it did get drippy/soupy after a while under the heat cap. I stayed under the heat cap for about 45 minutes then wore it around the house doing work for another couple of hours. Occasionally, I had to wipe my face and neck with a paper towel because the brown mixture was dripping down :p A small price to pay though as the results came out nice again :)

I'm really going to try to make it a goal to do these once a week from now on (slacked off majorly before). Does anyone see any downsides to doing frequent SMT with the ingredients I mentioned above?

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think the difference is that honey is antibacterial and humectant, whereas other sugars are just humectant. I prefer honey in my SMTs for this reason, as I have the feeling it works well against dandruff, sebhorreic dermatitis, and itching.

Also, I have been using honey for a long time on my face without ever having it lighten my hairline (I wish!) so I think you can usually use it safely without worrying about lightening hair. Even when I tried to lighten my or my DH's hair with honey, I did not see any difference on either hair. Just my two cents.

these are very good points. If I had any sort of scalp issues I might consider honey. However, the molasses seems to be working a treat for me so I'm going to stick with it for the time being and hope that it or the castor oil might actually darken my hair a bit, which I'm hoping for.:)

Sissy
August 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
oh... I just noiticed the Molasses I have been using in my SMT is called "unsulfured" molasses. It does not mention blackstrap molasses on it. Should I get a new bottle that says blackstrap on it and contains sulfur? I'm not sure what benefits I'm missing out on by having a sulfur free one that does not specify itself as blackstrap.

I hope someone knows the answer to this :)

Thanks!

detritus
August 30th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I think sulfur is traditionally added as a preservative. I think blackstrap has more iron or something but I'm not entirely sure. I think what you have should work just fine for hair.

marikamt
August 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Has anyone done this w/ 100% pure aloe instead of the gel?????

missfortune9335
August 31st, 2009, 06:57 PM
I think so. If I remember correctly in the posting for the recipe snowy mentions that it has been reported that aloe straight from the plant works well, which is about as pure as you're going to get! ;)

sandrak
September 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
This morning I decided to try this again. After I shampooed my hair I used 4 tbls. of cond. 1 tbls. aloe vera and honey. I heated the cond. and aloe in the microwave then added the honey. I left it on for 5 hrs. Then rinsed. After my hair dried I couldn't believe how soft it feels and looks. I love it! I will do this at least once a week now.

Sissy
September 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I think sulfur is traditionally added as a preservative. I think blackstrap has more iron or something but I'm not entirely sure. I think what you have should work just fine for hair.

Thanks for the answer :)

Quixii
September 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
So as I type this, I sit with my first SMT in my hair! I'm not sure what I'm expecting/hoping to see if it works, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I used VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie (I think that's what it's called) and the VO5 Chamomile Tea, with some honey and Fruit of the Earth clear aloe. Then I put my hair in a plastic Target bag, and now I'm letting it sit. I'm not sure how long I'll let it sit - probably about an hour, or more. My parents are being wishy-washy about plans for tonight.

kwaniesiam
September 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know what the "shelf life" of SMT is? I have a lot leftover in my bottle from the last one, and I was going to use it tomorrow but its been sitting there for a week already all mixed up. I usually add the ingredients to an empty color bottle and shake it up to mix.

papillion
September 7th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Thank you so much for all the information in this thread - SMT is a lifesaver for my hair. One thing I've been wondering about though: I understand that the honey acts as a humectant, but what does the aloe do?

GlassEyes
September 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Does anyone know what the "shelf life" of SMT is? I have a lot leftover in my bottle from the last one, and I was going to use it tomorrow but its been sitting there for a week already all mixed up. I usually add the ingredients to an empty color bottle and shake it up to mix.
I would guess, between the honey, the conditioner preservatives, and the preservatives in the aloe gel (if you used any) that it could store for at least a week--probably longer, but that's playing it safe. You could refrigerate it too.

I've kept SMT for over a week. XD; I didn't have any issues with it when I finally used it up.

Sissy
September 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Thank you so much for all the information in this thread - SMT is a lifesaver for my hair. One thing I've been wondering about though: I understand that the honey acts as a humectant, but what does the aloe do?

The aloe is a moisturizer. It also helps with frizz issues and may help prevent hair loss and aid in hair growth (not sure if there is any research backing those claims up though).

marikamt
September 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I would guess, between the honey, the conditioner preservatives, and the preservatives in the aloe gel (if you used any) that it could store for at least a week--probably longer, but that's playing it safe. You could refrigerate it too.

I've kept SMT for over a week. XD; I didn't have any issues with it when I finally used it up.

I would assume it would last no problem (but you know what happens when you assume.... :p).
I might refrigerate it just to be safe but I don't think you would have to- I mean none of the ingredients are perishable...

ETA- Sorry- meant to say "I agree with Glasseyes....."

catysue
September 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ok, I'm sitting with my SMT on my head right now, and I'm leaving it in overnight! :) I'm super excited. I used Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut condish (smells so good!) I had to apply a lot to make my hair feel coated/slimy, my hair sort of just sucked it right up even as I was applying it! :eek:

ljkforu
September 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Ok, I'm sitting with my SMT on my head right now, and I'm leaving it in overnight! :) I'm super excited. I used Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut condish (smells so good!) I had to apply a lot to make my hair feel coated/slimy, my hair sort of just sucked it right up even as I was applying it! :eek:
oow! I love the Sauve Coconut

catysue
September 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
oow! I love the Sauve Coconut

It smells so good! I got it partly because I want to try CO soon, and I heard it was good for that. I can't wait to try CO but my shampoo smells soooooooooooooooooo ******n good, I'm going to wait till it's all used up - which will take a trillion years because it's a shampoo bar. Hehe :o

papillion
September 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Thank you so much for all the information in this thread - SMT is a lifesaver for my hair. One thing I've been wondering about though: I understand that the honey acts as a humectant, but what does the aloe do?The aloe is a moisturizer. It also helps with frizz issues and may help prevent hair loss and aid in hair growth (not sure if there is any research backing those claims up though).

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Fencai
September 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM
ok, I did my first SMT yesterday while I was home sick from work.
I took a nice hot shower and then put it on.
I used the Honey Almond Conditioner from Sally's (the one in the jug)
Aloe Gel that I got from the health food store
and honey.

I heated it up and left on for a couple of hours.

it took until this morning to dry.
now.....
I see how much more shiny my hair is, but it feels thicker, and almost "coated". It doesn't really feel as silky soft as I had expected it to...
did I do something wrong? I rinsed for what seemed like forever and a day, but it still feels coated.
Oh, one more thing.... when it was drying, it was actually "squeaky clean" it actually squeaked when I ran fingers over it....

I would really like this to work, but wonder if I should change something in my mix?

indigonight
September 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
if you have no microwave will heating the honey in a pan for 30 secs do the same thing??? anybody know???

Fencai
September 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
ok, I think I know what the problem was...

I just got out of the shower, because I had to rewash my hair. It felt so nasty....

while waiting for my hair to condition- I re-read the bottle that I used for the SMT- and lo and behold.... "keratin".....

I shall get new 'dish this weekend and try again....

I knew my hair didnt like that kind for a reason....

RuthieAnne
September 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
This sounds so cool . . . I can't wait to try it!

Couple of Qs:

Can I use olive oil instead of conditioner? I saw it listed and didn't know if it was an added ingredient or not.

How much would I need to make? A gallon?!? My hair is very long and thick.

Does the honey have to be heated for it to spread right? I am also interested in the honey lightening and killing two birds with one stone would be awesome.

Can y'all recommend some inexpensive "fillers"? EVOO is so expensive . . .

Where can I buy Shea or coco butter? Can these be used as conditioner?

Of course I could always just use conditioner, but I don't think I have any that don't have problem ingredients. Would y'all recommend using a good conditioner instead of one of the alternatives? Which is cheaper? :-p

Sorry about all the questions, feel free to redirect me to former posts if these have already been answered.

God bless,

~Ruthie

GlassEyes
September 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Couple of Qs:

Can I use olive oil instead of conditioner? I saw it listed and didn't know if it was an added ingredient or not.

Does the honey have to be heated for it to spread right? I am also interested in the honey lightening and killing two birds with one stone would be awesome.

Of course I could always just use conditioner, but I don't think I have any that don't have problem ingredients. Would y'all recommend using a good conditioner instead of one of the alternatives? Which is cheaper? :-p

Sorry about all the questions, feel free to redirect me to former posts if these have already been answered.

God bless,

~Ruthie
Instead of? Well, you could, but it wouldn't be an SMT anymore--I use olive oil instead of aloe, and though I still call it SMT, it isn't. I'm not sure how it'd work--plus, olive oil has a peroxide content, that does magnify, somewhat, the lightening honey does. Normally, I'm not concerned about it; conditioner does a lot to stop the peroxide formation, and the aloe might too, but it could be a concern.

VO5 or Suave are fine--but anything without protein or cones (though some can use the stuff with cones) is good for it. I don't know if you'd need to make a GALLON of it--but with your length, maybe a pint, or so? I don't have really thick hair, but I have dry, curly hair that sucks this stuff up, so I use a lot of it too--it really depends. :shrug:

Madame J
September 11th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I would suggest you try it the first time as written, and do a honey lightening treatment separately. Most of the people I know who use oils, use just a small amount as an additive. You can try the recipe as written at first to see how you like it and then adjust if you need something -- many of the suggested conditioners are quite cheap, and honey isn't expensive, so this would also be the cheapest way to do it.

While some people report lightening with SMTs when they don't heat the honey first, it's not consistent, nor is it the optimal environment for the honey to produce peroxide. I would suggest you read ktani's amazing Honey Lightening thread in this forum and use her recipes for the best results there, if you don't get any lightening with a regular SMT.

I know I messed around with the recipe the first time I did an SMT and the results were pretty horrible -- I tried to use coconut oil instead of aloe, and my hair does NOT need that much oil in a treatment! I use 4 Tbsp. conditioner, 1 Tbsp. honey, and 1 Tbsp. aloe for almost-APL hair, and my hair is very thick -- you might want to double or triple that for your treatment, but you don't need a gallon of the stuff. Good luck!

RuthieAnne
September 11th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the replies! I am planning to try this sometime int he next month or so when the weather starts getting really dry and so does my hair. :-(

I will try it the first time as the recipe states and I will try to do it all night. What is y'all favorite way of keeping your hair contained for long period/over-night treatments?

A pint? :-p This stuff sounds so good I want to swim in it. :-D

God bless,

~Ruthie

Madame J
September 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I've never kept it on much longer than an hour, so I'm not much help, but I used a plastic shower cap covered with a turban made from a piece of scrap material to help absorb drips. I also found that I had to keep a towel around my shoulders to wipe drips.

Sissy
September 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the replies! I am planning to try this sometime int he next month or so when the weather starts getting really dry and so does my hair. :-(

I will try it the first time as the recipe states and I will try to do it all night. What is y'all favorite way of keeping your hair contained for long period/over-night treatments?

A pint? :-p This stuff sounds so good I want to swim in it. :-D

God bless,

~Ruthie

Hi Ruthie,

Regarding your previous questions. If you want to do an SMT for it's moisturizing effect then you will not want to replace the conditioner with Olive Oil because for the most part "oils" do not add moisture to the hairs, they seal moisture into hair. In an SMT the conditioner and aloe act as moisturizers and the honey or molasses acts as the humectant which attracts and helps to hold the moisture in.

Regarding wanting a lightening effect honey could help with that. Also, EVOO can lighten the hair when it's applied alone as a oil treatment.

Regarding the above question, I could never keep an SMT on all night as the mixture I make gets quite drippy after I sit under my heat cap for a while. I use conditioner (GVP Conditioning Balm or Moisture Conditioner), FOTE Aloe Vera Gel, Molasses, and a little bit of castor oil (it is known to promote hair growth, and help with darkening hair). When I have my SMT in I wear a plastic shower cap over it, and another one on top of that. Then I sit under my heat cap for a deep treatment about an hour. I have to keep a towel nearby and keep blotting the drips that fall down my face and neck LOL. So, I could never STAND doing an SMT over night... what an uncomfy mess it would be.

What I can tolerate is doing a heavy overnight oiling. I have done them before with coconut oil, EVOO, Shea Butter, Ojon, Sweet Almond Oil, Castor Oil, and other hair oil mixes. To do these heavy overnight oilings I apply the oil to either dry or damp towel dried hair. I apply the oil heavily.. pretty much saturating my hair. Then I cover my hair with a plastic shower cap and sleep with it on all night. This might be a good way for you to try to get lightening effects from EVOO or Honey.

Katze
September 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I would suggest you try it the first time as written, and do a honey lightening treatment separately. Most of the people I know who use oils, use just a small amount as an additive. You can try the recipe as written at first to see how you like it and then adjust if you need something -- many of the suggested conditioners are quite cheap, and honey isn't expensive, so this would also be the cheapest way to do it.

While some people report lightening with SMTs when they don't heat the honey first, it's not consistent, nor is it the optimal environment for the honey to produce peroxide. I would suggest you read ktani's amazing Honey Lightening thread in this forum and use her recipes for the best results there, if you don't get any lightening with a regular SMT.

I know I messed around with the recipe the first time I did an SMT and the results were pretty horrible -- I tried to use coconut oil instead of aloe, and my hair does NOT need that much oil in a treatment! I use 4 Tbsp. conditioner, 1 Tbsp. honey, and 1 Tbsp. aloe for almost-APL hair, and my hair is very thick -- you might want to double or triple that for your treatment, but you don't need a gallon of the stuff. Good luck!

I second what Madame J says. Try the SMT first before you start tweaking it.

Despite trying to lighten my hair with SMTs or honey, I never had any lightening, ever, nor did DH from similar treatments. I think the conditions needed are so particular that it is almost impossible to get lighter hair from honey. Shinier, yes.

I'm a big fan of SMT and do them at least twice a month. Helps itchy scalp and makes hair soft. :)

ktani
September 13th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Couple of Qs:

God bless,

~Ruthie

This explains the differences between an SMT and honey lightening, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=299163&postcount=2379.

I would try the SMT first if you want conditioning primarily.

Honey lightening with the new recipes is not complicated. The biggest issue these days seems to be finding a good honey but there are many to choose from and people have reported success in lightening.

Here is the place to start, if and when you want to try it, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1661&postcount=1 and I will be happy to answer any questions for you.

ktani
September 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
... I would suggest you read ktani's amazing Honey Lightening thread in this forum and use her recipes for the best results there, if you don't get any lightening with a regular SMT. ...

Thank you Madame J.

Rosalind
September 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Yet another convert- this stuff is fantastic! I was really amazed- my hair was super soft and shiny all over, but wasn't greasy even up near my hairline or part.

I did accidentally heat my honey for too long and end up with it splattered all over the inside of the microwave...but I've got nobody to blame for that but myself. :o

Rigani
September 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM
This stuff is simply amazing! =)
It made my hair shiny like silk an really soft. It didn't reduce my waves (somehow I initially supected that) but made them glossy and vivid.
I used fresh aloe gel from my own aloe vera plant, some leftovers Sante Brilliant Care Conditioner (german stuff) and honey my grandfather gave me (he's apiarist).

Great! Thanks a lot! :D

RuthieAnne
September 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all of the help! I plan to do one soon as my hair is reacting to the dry weather badly. I saw that Tresseme was on the good results list which makes sense because I used it as a leave-in before I went WO. I hope I have enough left over for my SMT.

Thanks for the links ktani!

God bless,

~Ruthie

dolcevita
September 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I did this last night using unrefined shea butter as my conditioner, PC aloe gel, and PC Organics Honey. I chose shea butter because it seems to be an ingredient in a lot of moisturizing conditioners and I think my hair needs moisture now instead of protein (which happens to be hidden in all the rest of my conditioners).

Well, I left it on with a hair cap and a towel for about an hour. Rinsed and rinsed and it still felt kinda coated when I was rinsing despite how much I rinsed for. Final rinse with diluted ACV solution (I don't always do this).

After combing I realized it was still coated. It felt thicker and smoother but I was not sure how it would dry on its own since my hair is so fine it might look too limp. I put it in a french braid and went to bed.

Now it's the morning and it still feels kinda coated but it stayed remarkably well in the braid. I will leave it up all day and update later on the texture when I take it out. *fingers crossed!*

Gladtobemom
September 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I did this last night using unrefined shea butter as my conditioner, PC aloe gel, and PC Organics Honey. I chose shea butter because it seems to be an ingredient in a lot of moisturizing conditioners and I think my hair needs moisture now instead of protein (which happens to be hidden in all the rest of my conditioners).

Well, I left it on with a hair cap and a towel for about an hour. Rinsed and rinsed and it still felt kinda coated when I was rinsing despite how much I rinsed for. Final rinse with diluted ACV solution (I don't always do this).

After combing I realized it was still coated. It felt thicker and smoother but I was not sure how it would dry on its own since my hair is so fine it might look too limp. I put it in a french braid and went to bed.

Now it's the morning and it still feels kinda coated but it stayed remarkably well in the braid. I will leave it up all day and update later on the texture when I take it out. *fingers crossed!*

I've found that if I use Coconut oil or Red Palm Oil as my pre oiling for the Ursula's treatment . . . then my hair turns out shiny and bouncy. I also make sure that the conditioner I use is one of the better "cleansing" ones (Such as VO5 Tea therapy Chamomile or Sunkissed Raspberry).

If I use Shea butter . . . no joy. My hair feels sort of waxy and a little grabby. I don't thing that the SMT is getting enough of it off my hair.

RuthieAnne
September 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I am currently wearing my first SMT. :-D I used 2 cups of Tresseme vitamin E and 1/2 cup each of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel and generic honey. I warmed it for 3 10 second spurts. But I could have done it for longer, it was still thick but workable when I put it on. I used about 1 1/2 cups of it on me and saved the rest for my sister with the really dry hair. I've had it on for an hour and I think I will go at least one more. I can't wait to see what it did to my hair.

God bless,

~Ruthie

Ravenwaves 88
September 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
All this time I thought SMT meant Snowymoon Massage Technique.....as in the massage for Water only....LOL.

Jyot
September 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hi
I am not sure what i am doing wrong but i experience unusual shedding when i do this treatment. I use honey, conditioner, aloe (fresh from plant) and mollasses in the ratios mentioned and heat it lightly for honey to oxidise.please advise.
thanks

RuthieAnne
September 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Success! :-D When I rinsed out my hair it felt soooo silky. It also clumped together in curls/waves better than it ever has before, with no frizzy hair sticking out. Although it is starting to frizz a little as it is drying. I plan to do this many more times, and soon! My sisters hair is also softer than it has ever been before.

Funny thing; the conditioner left little white specks in her hair but not mine. I saw them in mine but was able to rinse them out. Weird.

Thanks for the awesome recipe Snowymoon!

God bless,

~Ruthie

Sissy
September 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Success! :-D When I rinsed out my hair it felt soooo silky. It also clumped together in curls/waves better than it ever has before, with no frizzy hair sticking out. Although it is starting to frizz a little as it is drying. I plan to do this many more times, and soon! My sisters hair is also softer than it has ever been before.

Funny thing; the conditioner left little white specks in her hair but not mine. I saw them in mine but was able to rinse them out. Weird.

Thanks for the awesome recipe Snowymoon!

God bless,

~Ruthie

No worries, it sounds like you just got a wee bit of the curds :p

Sissy
September 18th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Hi
I am not sure what i am doing wrong but i experience unusual shedding when i do this treatment. I use honey, conditioner, aloe (fresh from plant) and mollasses in the ratios mentioned and heat it lightly for honey to oxidise.please advise.
thanks

Hi there, you wouldn't really need to use both honey and molasses at the same time in the SMT. I think people usually choose just honey OR molasses. Honey if they are not concerned with lightening of the hairs. They pick molasses if they want to try to get their hairs darker or to prevent any possible lightening of the hair from honey.

I too experience a bit of shedding when I do an SMT. I'm not sure what causes this... but mostly anytime I do any sort of deep treatment I'll have more shedding than I would from a normal wash. It's probably nothing to worry about unless you have hunks and hunks of hair falling out.

ktani
September 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all of the help! I plan to do one soon as my hair is reacting to the dry weather badly. I saw that Tresseme was on the good results list which makes sense because I used it as a leave-in before I went WO. I hope I have enough left over for my SMT.

Thanks for the links ktani!

God bless,

~Ruthie

You are most welcome!

Fencai
September 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Ok I just rinsed out my 2nd attempt at this.. and I can tell already that its MUCH better than the first time! (missed the fact that the first conditioner I used had protein in it!)

This time as I was rinsing it felt way softer, and it rinsed much easier too! I can't wait until its dry!! (Probably tomorrow morning) to see how it looks!
And I have a meeting in NYC tomorrow, so I hope it looks good!

Fencai
September 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Ok...

it was FABULOUS! Its soft, shiny, and wonderful!!!
You be your sweet bippies that I'll be doing that at least once a week!!!!

julliams
October 5th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Mother and daughter trying this as we speak. I'll post results once dry. I did put mine in the microwave for too long and it went completely runny but once it cooled it went right back to being a runny paste. I made extra and popped it in a bottle - does anyone know how long it would last? Was thinking of keeping it until next week just in the bathroom.

Juliette

amoulixes
October 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
...Wow! I did my first SMT last night and...wow! I had no aloe, and since I saw that you can do it with just conditioner and honey, I went with that. 4 tbs Nature's Gate Jojoba, 2 tbs honey. My hair has almost NO frizz, and my ends fall down instead of sticking straight out when I hold them a few inches from the tip. I am so happy with this! I was also surprised that the treatment didn't leave my scalp oily. I was nervous because I am always oily, and I didn't want to come out totally greasy! Too cool!!

julliams
October 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
These are the results http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/4041023785_cd3e33f689.jpg

Juliette

Laurel32
October 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I need some help, my microwave is broken. I'm not sure how to heat it up and still make sure the honey won't lighten my hair... Does anyone have ideas? Thank you.

Isa-belle
October 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I need some help, my microwave is broken. I'm not sure how to heat it up and still make sure the honey won't lighten my hair... Does anyone have ideas? Thank you.
Bain-marie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie) will work just fine :)

Laurel32
October 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you Isabelle. Why didn't I think of that? :crazyq:

Demetrue
October 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I decided to try this after rinsing out a catnip & cassia mask. My hair felt pretty stiff and strange after the cassia so I thought that sitting for an hour with some conditioner mixed with honey and AVG might help soften the hair and get rid of the any cassia grit that was still embedded in my hair. So far, so good. I will use a diferent conditioner next time - I used up the last of my AO Island Desert conditioner, but the allspice and eucalytpus-like smell really started to get to me after a while. I like it in short doses, not sitting with it on my head for an hour. My hair is still wet after rinsing it out, but feels much softer and smoother than it did after rinsing out the cassia.

KatanyaG
October 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I just tried the SMT for the first time on my hair, and it's currently drying. I think I might have used the wrong conditioner though.

I hope it works out though. :)

friskybiznus
October 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Juliette, your hair turned out very pretty. Here mine after SMT - it was very soft and silky! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3886&pictureid=53173

LisaB234
October 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Another vote for SMT! Thank you so much Snowymoon! I'd been resisting trying it figuring it wouldn't make THAT much difference. . . But it does! WOW - super soft and super shiny even though I'm not all the way dry!

Ravenwaves 88
October 25th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I used V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie and it left curddled bits in my hair.

Is there an easy way to get these things out? Looks like dandruff!!!

swirlytresses
October 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I did a treatment today using Giovanni 50/50 and my hair feels sooooo soft and silky!! I tried the SMT one time before but just eye-balled the measurements and I'll have to say it was nothing great. I measured this time and realized that last time what I did wrong was that I didn't use near enough of the honey and Aloe vera gel. I'm very pleased with the results this time. My hair had become a little rough feeling, frizzy and dry. This made a tremendous difference. I love SMT!!! :cheese:

pinchbeck
October 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I tried the formula last night for the 1st time. It's amazing! Very moisturizing. I replaced honey with coconut oil because I don't want honey's lighting effect.

What conditioners do all of you use for this treatment?
I read on a thread that if honey is heated it destroys the component responsible for lightening hair.

Sissy
October 31st, 2009, 11:05 AM

You could use molasses instead of honey... that's what I do. Molasses may even help to darken the hair :cheese:

Sissy
October 31st, 2009, 12:14 PM
I took the time to do an SMT today and my hair is loving me for it. I made too much so I have leftover that I might apply tomorrow. I just stuck it in the fridge.

I used 1 cup GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 cup FOTE Aloe Vera Gel, and a bit of Castor Oil.

The results were good.

mechanolatry
November 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Could someone please add Be Raw Washington Buckwheat Honey to the problematic honey list?

I had a SMT nightmare experience yesterday with this honey. The top of my head is somehow oily and frizzy at the same time, and my ends are a total mess. And to top it off I start my new job today! *grumble, grumble*

It mixed up fine when I warmed it, and went in my hair without a problem. Everything seemed ok until it dried... and dried and dried and dried!
:agape:

Tinose
November 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Important bit of advice: When deciding to do your first SMT on a whim, reading it to make sure you're remembering it right is probably a good idea. :o In related news, I got the proportions completely wrong and currently have 1 part honey, 1 part aloe, and 1 part conditioner on my head. At least the results should be interesting! :D My hair adores honey and aloe though, so I doubt the results will be all that bad.

Tinose
November 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Post-treatment report: My hair feels pretty nice! It's a tiny bit stiff, but it feels very healthy, if that makes sense. Actually, I may do this the next time I'm trying to do a fancy updo, as I bet it would be the perfect texture for that once I put in a little oil. It's the right mix of easily detangled and staying in the shape I put it in. It's not really ideal for leaving down though.

heatherdazy
November 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Count me as another fan of this treatment. I used my regular conditioner (Joico Kpak Intense Hydrator) and it mixed up beautifully into a wonderful texture and smelled just heavenly. I had time to kill so I left it for about 3 hours.

Now I don't have particularly dry or damaged hair, which I guess is why I waited so long to try this, but when I rinsed it, my hair felt like virgin hair! It felt that good wet and dry! I'm definitely going to do this regularly... maybe once or twice a month? LOVED IT!!

lacesonia
November 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
How long can you store left over SMT?

BTW, I llloooooovvvveee this treatment. My hair adores it. I'm definitely keeping it in my regime. I'll be using this every other week and the weeks that I dont do it I'll be doing the carmel treatment. :cheese:

MsBubbles
November 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Just now trying this for the first time...after one and a half years being here! It felt great putting it on. Wonder how it'll turn out. My hair needs the moisturizing really badly.

ETA: I kept it on almost 2 hrs because I was on hold w/tech support for xbox live. It took a while to rinse it out but so far it feels less crunchy than before I did it. Texture of the mixture felt so good. I used an old bottle of Giovanni 50/50 conditioner which was useless as a regular conditioner. It didn't have near enough slip for my hair. But it seemed to work like a dream in SMT. I used Lily of the Desert Aloe, and regular old Kroger honey. 4 tablespoons conditioner, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp aloe. I only coated from the ears down, not my scalp. I put a shower cap over the coated ends, and wrapped a towel around my whole head to keep it on.

Hmm, my hair feels like hair again :-)

MsBubbles
November 12th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Ok well I'm an idiot. I didn't realise you could leave a rinsed-out and dried SMT and not have to wash your hair again later. I thought it'd be like a heavy oiling, so I planned to wash my hair next morning, expecting my hair to be stringy. Well my ends were so soft and healthy-looking, I almost thought to myself I should leave the ends and just do a scalp wash.

I did my weekly full-wash. Now my ends feel like straw again! :justy:

Now that I read back through this thread, most people don't wash/condition again any time soon after an SMT.

SandyStar
November 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I just tried SMT today and I love it! My hair is so soft now! I think I will use it once a week.

Wicked Princess
November 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I am going to try the SMT for the first time tomorrow evening. I'm excited and anxious about it because I don't have a microwave to heat the concoction up in.

I would guess, though, that I can heat it in a glass bowl over simmering water. Is this an accurate guess?

Also, how much would one with my length hair (nearly classic, 38.5", thicker hair) use? I see many people posting something like 4 tbsp of conditioner, to 1 tbsp of the other ingredients. It seems, though, that this wouldn't be quite enough for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BunnyBee
November 14th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Ok I should have read the conditioner list before trying AO honeysuckle rose.. Eugh! It looked like :puke: lol

Anyway.. I bought a nice *organic* honey especially for SMT (with a diff condish) and *typically* it resulted in icky horrible non-blendable chunks of goo.. only after it was heated in the microwave however. I didn't want to risk sticking unheated SMT on my head and later finding that either it lightened my hair or that it separated into chunks in my hair.. so I mized up another lot with cheapy-o store brand honey... and it worked perfectly :rolleyes:

So, what gives? You'd think more quality ingredients would be a good thing, no? Le sigh.

Tressie
November 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I'm thinking of giving this a try. I tried the HALO (I think?) rinse (sorry I don't know how to link that thread) and it didn't really work well for me. Perhaps it was me and not the ingredients?

I know many swear by this treatment, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that when I get around to it, I'll be in the SMT fan club! (o:

Hijack warning: Love your avatar BunnyBee!!!

Arctic
November 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I like SMTs too, I have never tried heating the honey or the mix and it works just fine. I have not noticed any lightening. I actually don't measure, just squirt a lot of conditioner on a small bowl, add almost as much honey, add not very much of aloe vera juice (works better than gel for me), mix, apply, let sit.

To the person who doesn't have microwave oven, sure you can heat the honey without it: boil water and put the honey in a heat proof container in the hot water so that the water doesn't get into the honey container. Cover. Stirr occasionally.

MsBubbles
November 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM
...so I mized up another lot with cheapy-o store brand honey... and it worked perfectly :rolleyes:

So, what gives? You'd think more quality ingredients would be a good thing, no? Le sigh.

That's interesting. I'm a honey snob when it comes to eating the stuff and I never usually buy the kind with the obscure 'product of USA' comment on the label.

I bought cheapie stuff and it worked well. But I did wonder about the quality of the honey....

Pony Girl
November 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Can I use the Aloe Vera straight from the plant itself? I would imagine this would be the best thing to do?

Pony Girl
November 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I just tried the SMT and used real aloe vera gel from my aloe plant I keep in my back yard and it worked beautifully. It is gooey and messy to squeeze and scrape the gel out but being 100% natural is bound to have a better moisturizing effect on the hair.

I used Miessence Shine Herbal conditioner (non cone) and Jarrah honey from Western Australia (medicinal quality- I'm sure any unprocessed honey would do the same) and my hair felt divine afterwards ! :thumbsup:Will definitely repeat on a regular basis.:love:

MsBubbles
November 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I just tried the SMT and used real aloe vera gel from my aloe plant I keep in my back yard and it worked beautifully. It is gooey and messy to squeeze and scrape the gel out but being 100% natural is bound to have a better moisturizing effect on the hair.

I used Miessence Shine Herbal conditioner (non cone) and Jarrah honey from Western Australia (medicinal quality- I'm sure any unprocessed honey would do the same) and my hair felt divine afterwards ! :thumbsup:Will definitely repeat on a regular basis.:love:

That's good info, Pony Girl! I need to get another aloe plant.

Belisarius
November 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I have done this too, yesterday, and it worked really well for me.

wimitlee
November 23rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
I did an SMT swapping Black Strap Mollasses for Honey and my hair is so grateful that it is soft and shiny!

ShaSha
November 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I've done this two times now, and I love the results.

But...

I really hate the smell of the aloe vera gel I have. According to the label it's 99,7% pure cold pressed aloe vera. (The conditioner I'm using does not much of a smell of it's own.)

Next time I might try to add some essential oil.:rolleyes:

Anyone have the same experience?

Belisarius
November 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM

But...

I really hate the smell of the aloe vera gel I have. According to the label it's 99,7% pure cold pressed aloe vera. (The conditioner I'm using does not much of a smell of it's own.)

Mine is 98% pure, but I love the smell. It does have a strong smell though.

kimannabella
November 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I am definitely trying this after I colour next.

MsBubbles
November 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
But...

Well I hate the smell of the honey! And my conditioner practically has no smell. Can you put nice-smelling stuff into an SMT without having it do bizarre things to your hair?

truwave
November 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I am going to give this a try, thanks!

truwave
November 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Do you think a natural food store would sell aloe vera gel?

MsBubbles
November 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Do you think a natural food store would sell aloe vera gel?

That's where I got mine! I got the 'ingestible' kind.

pdy2kn6
November 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm trying my first SMT tomorrow, can't wait to see the reesults. Got all my ingredients this week :)

enfys
November 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well I hate the smell of the honey! And my conditioner practically has no smell. Can you put nice-smelling stuff into an SMT without having it do bizarre things to your hair?

Me too! It smells (and tastes) so sweet I end up feeling a bit sick. I might try adding some essential oils next time, probably rosemary. It's hard to guess if that will make it worse. I like tea tree oil too, but I've never used it on my hair, only my skin.

Hmm.

pdy2kn6
December 12th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hey, thanks for the recipe. Results turned out great last time (apart from some minor problems with my cone-free conditioner. For some reason it turned sort of clumpy when I added it to the honey. Ohwell, I will be trying it with aubrey otgancs today. I saw the instructions said it can be done overnight...has anyone done it overnight? How did the results differ? Any down-sounds of leaving the products in overnight? I am thinking about doing it overnight today. I have the appartment to myself...so I am able to walk around all night with a bag on my head! lol.

Arctic
December 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hey, thanks for the recipe. Results turned out great last time (apart from some minor problems with my cone-free conditioner. For some reason it turned sort of clumpy when I added it to the honey. Ohwell, I will be trying it with aubrey otgancs today. I saw the instructions said it can be done overnight...has anyone done it overnight? How did the results differ? Any down-sounds of leaving the products in overnight? I am thinking about doing it overnight today. I have the appartment to myself...so I am able to walk around all night with a bag on my head! lol.

LOL :)

One down side is the *rustle rustle* sound of the plastic bag/shower cap when you try to sleep, it might also press and might drip (best to put towel over the pillow). And if you have sensitive scalp, long deep treatments might irritate it, and perhaps give you dandruff. Other than that I can't see anything bad in it, but I'm not sure if it's really that helpful either, hair can absorb only so much.

Rigani
December 12th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Okay... so I've used the SMT several times succesfully, but I recognized an extremely long drying time. Did anyone else experience that, too?

I'm not always sure, if I rinsed my hair out well enough to get all of it out again, so I have to wait hoooours to see if it worked out right.

But I guess it's a good sign - the longer they have to dry, the healthier they are (or sth. like that) :D

Pear Martini
December 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
What kind of aloe is safe to use in your hair? The same jelly you put on sunburns?

Madame J
December 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
What kind of aloe is safe to use in your hair? The same jelly you put on sunburns?

Don't get the stuff with lidocaine. There's a list of aloes that people have used with success in the original post. A lot of people like Fruit of the Earth.

ljkforu
December 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM
(Portland, OR) My area sells whole huge aloe vera leaves and it is so fun to scrape them out. If you do this make it in a blender or food processor or you get chunks. It works great though.

Madame J
December 15th, 2009, 05:56 AM
(Portland, OR) My area sells whole huge aloe vera leaves and it is so fun to scrape them out. If you do this make it in a blender or food processor or you get chunks. It works great though.

Someone earlier in the thread told me that fresh aloe can stain hair orange. Just a heads-up for people with lighter hair, or enough grays to worry.

paperwhite
December 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to try this, the only thing I'm lacking is the conditioner. I don't think I'm going to use my Giovanni conditioner in this, I'll probably go grab a couple bottles of some tasty smelling V05 and give it a shot. I'm excited to see the results :) Has anyone had any different results with using darker honeys or does it not really matter at all?

Madame J
December 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I think I used buckwheat honey the first time I did it, since it was all I had on hand. I've also heard that buckwheat honey doesn't produce peroxide.

And why not use Giovanni conditioner? Just the cost? Because I've used 50/50 with great success.

paperwhite
December 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Yes, it's the cost. I'd rather use a $1 bottle of V05 (especially for something experimental) than a $7-$9 bottle of Giovanni that's not even as big as the V05. Plus, I know the Giovanni works great on it's own, whereas V05 doesn't do much for me by itself. I picked up three bottles of V05 last night and some regular old store brand honey. I have some really nice buckwheat and another bottle of honey that I didn't want to use for the same reason--price--and taste as far as the honey goes! I want to eat it!. I'd rather use lower cost ingredients for a quick experiment than use the nicer stuff.

Oh, and I bought three bottles of V05 instead of just one so that I can mix up some leave-in/detangler for my mister bottle. It's only got water, aloe, and a couple vitamin E capsules in there right now and doesn't really detangle much. It is good for dampening my hair for bunning, though.

kimannabella
December 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I finally got around to trying this, after a heavy overnight oiling. I used my staple hair mask [loreal elvive pink tub], with HB AVG, and lavendar honey. no heating it-left it on for 6 hours and wow, is my hair soft.

I have a routine down atm but think I might suspend it and co with this treatment for a while.

Whimsical wind
December 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm sitting here with this mixture on my head at the moment. :D Haven't done this for ages. I hope I have good results!

ETA: Ok, so my hair is nice and soft and moisturized. But it's quite frizzy.:confused:

ArienEllariel
December 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I tried this today with some cheap conditioner that I found hidden away in a cabinet, some sort of Finesse. It worked pretty well considering that my conditioner was full of protein. It didn't turn out goopy or weird and I left it on for about 30 min. The only thing I have to say was that I put it on all of my hair even near my roots and it left the top of my head a little over conditioned (nothing too noticeable really). Next time I think I'll go from about the ears down or so. My hair felt amazing afterwards though (even my damaged ends)!

I think I'm going to start doing this once a week! Haha, my dad did give me a quizical look and asked what I was doing with a shampoo bottle, honey, and aloe gel.. but I don't care if he thinks it odd..^^ Finesse+honey+aloe=silky hair and who doesn't want that? Though I really need to go pick up a different conditioner to use as I hate the smell of this one...

ljkforu
December 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the comment I have dark brown hair and never would have noticed. I did have some of the goop turn orange in my hands though as I milked it out.

Someone earlier in the thread told me that fresh aloe can stain hair orange. Just a heads-up for people with lighter hair, or enough grays to worry.

AlleyKitten
January 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Okay... so I've used the SMT several times succesfully, but I recognized an extremely long drying time. Did anyone else experience that, too?

I'm not always sure, if I rinsed my hair out well enough to get all of it out again, so I have to wait hoooours to see if it worked out right.

But I guess it's a good sign - the longer they have to dry, the healthier they are (or sth. like that) :D

I find as a rule that when I CO, it takes longer for my hair to dry than when I CWC, which takes longer than regular WC, which takes longer than when I have to borrow someone's shampoo with SLS. So I figure, the more "cleansing" a method I use, the less conditioner and stuff is left in my hair, and the shorter the drying time. I have my first-ever SMT in my hair right now, and I expect it will take a long time to dry once I wash it out. Probably a good sign for how moisturizing it is!

mishmish
January 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I did my first SMT last nigt with Garnier Fructis cream conditioner, and even though it is not 'cone free it worked just fine. I used a eucalyptus honey from Italy and aloe from a plant...as I was sitting here reading to pass the time, I saw the warning about fresh aloe staining hair orange! So, my treatment ended precipitiously but thankfully my hair is not orange and it is very soft, so I'll be trying it again after I get some store-bought aloe vera.j.

Natalia
January 6th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Hey all :). Was just cruising througth my subscriptions and thought id drop in. Since i got my freeze dried aloe today (YAY :cheese: ) i current have a modified SMT (heavey on molassas) which i hope will get my poor hair in shape for some updates length pics. After all at this point im only about 3 months shy of a year since my last ones :p.

Kalyca
January 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
is it possible that heating up the mixture could be harmful? especially with a conditioner that has chemicals in it? i am using VO5

enfys
January 13th, 2010, 04:19 AM
is it possible that heating up the mixture could be harmful? especially with a conditioner that has chemicals in it? i am using VO5

You don't heat it so much as warm it. I always shower with warm water and I figure this is no different. It shouldn't be boiling or bubbling when you take it out.

ArienEllariel
January 13th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hmm. okay so disregard my last post on the Finesse contioner (I think it's Finesse Enhancing for normal hair). Last time I used it I had no lumps. This time I had little white flecks of gunk left over after I rinsed. My hair feels good, but I'm going to have to wait til it dries and try to comb/brush the little flecks out. They're almost like little flecks of plastic. O_o

Magicknthenight
January 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I remember it took me a long time to get this mixture right without getting the curds shudder:
But i finally did it. I really have no clue why i had them so often. All i can think of is over heating it. I often use SMT's after my CWC and leave it on for however long i feel like it. Afterwords i put some oil in. I haven't had any clumps since i tried to wash with it and decided i needed to be extra sure the honey had been heated properly. :p
I like it a lot though as my hair feels nice and soft when i rinse it out in the shower. Its been working for a good amount of time so i really can't remember what exactly changed besides me experimenting. At first all i had was honey and vo5 free me fushia. Then i got some aloe vera. I have learned to put very little aloe vera in it or else it will mess the whole batch up! I most often use an AO conditioner in my CWC so using this i hope balances out the protein/moisture thing.
I am trying to find a moisturizing conditioner with no protein though. >_> i don't really have any clue where to start! Until then I'm gonna keep up with routine SMT's. :heartbeat

LadyJennifer
January 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Okay, so I did my first SMT yesterday. I used molasses (unsulphered, but not blackstrap), Jason Aloe, and Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner. I actually messed up a bit on the proportions (less conditioner), but it still worked nicely (no chunks or anything). I left it on for about an hour and a half. I wasn't sure about the results yesterday, but my hair feels really great today! Really soft and curly. I'm not sure if it's so much curlier than usual because of the SMT, or because I changed my conditioner, or both. I guess I'll see with my next wash:)
I'm going to try putting more conditioner next time too.

ETA: I don't have a microwave, so I heated on the stove with a water bath.

Holly9192
January 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm currently doing this (feels great already :]) using Aura rosemary mint rejuvenating conditioner and got a lot of white, chunky curds. Just figured fyi. :]

catysue
January 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm currently doing this (feels great already :]) using Aura rosemary mint rejuvenating conditioner and got a lot of white, chunky curds. Just figured fyi. :]

Something I find helps with curds is mixing in a little bit of water and whipping it up with a fork :)

Holly9192
January 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure what i did wrong, i left it on all night and when i rinsed it out this morning it felt alright...but not exactly what i was expecting. I also tried the catnip tea rinse right after, I'm fairly sure thats the problem.

saskia_madding
January 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ugh! I have had great success with these in the past, but last night I tried one with a new conditioner that has a small amount of protein in it.

As an SMT, it was too much protein for my hair. Today instead of silky and smooth and soft, I have tangly and bone dry, and as I brush it repeatedly to rectify those two problems, I lose a lot of hair.

BAH! Tonight I'll wash and try again, using a zero protein conditioner this time. What was I thinking?!

ArienEllariel
January 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Today I tried an SMT with Suave Wild Cherry Blossom condish. It didn't work too well. I"m waiting for it to dry so that I can try to brush all these white flecks out. Comparatively the Finesse conditioner I used before made less flecks and those were easily combed out, while these aren't. The funny part is that this Suave is cone free and protein free but still caused problems. I'm not sure I'm a fan of how much moisture it gave my hair either. It kind of feels slippery but not really moisturized. It's almost waxy and.. dry?. I'm not sure how but my hair feels kinda on the crunchy dry side even though it is still wet. O_o I don't care for it. :/ *sigh* Oh well. I guess I'll just have to keep searching until I find a heavier conditioner that doesn't leave chunks or waxy buildup.

Hijack-
Also, my favorite conditioner isn't being carried at my grocery store anymore (either that or the stock boys are just lazy and don't want to reorder more). Grr... for some reason the grocery store attentants like to make it look like they've stocked a particular kind of product by filling the space up with whatever they were selling next to it on the shelf. So instead of having Burts Bees Raspberry Brazil Nut shampoo and conditioner next to the Grapefruit whatever kind they've filled up the space only with the Grapefruit (although the information tags below still read Raspberry Brazil Nut). Sorry. Just a pet pieve of mine that's been bugging me for a while. -End wrant.

Olde Soul
January 27th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I've been doing "mini SMTs" by putting a squirt each of AVG and honey in my hand and mixing it with my conditioner in the shower. It doesn't get to sit as long but it's been working pretty well.

little_cherry
January 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I CO with this method and it works fine :)

I've been doing "mini SMTs" by putting a squirt each of AVG and honey in my hand and mixing it with my conditioner in the shower. It doesn't get to sit as long but it's been working pretty well.

BunnyBee
January 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I bought a new conditioner: Original source mint and tea tree, was so excited to try it in an smt - it smells amazing. I mixed it up and heated it all... well the scent seemed to become even stronger! Put it on and only lasted 10 mins before I freaked out cuz it tingled *too much* and my eyes were burning :( I dunno whether it's because of the essential oils in it (probably not wise to heat) but I won't be trying it again - also resulted in little conditioner flakes throughout my hair so I ended up co&#237;ng again although mainly to stop the fricking *tingle*. it still tingles now =/
Tingles make me scared lol, hair dye used to tingle before it started burning :(

Holly9192
January 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Has anyone ever tried adding an egg yolk? (after heating that is :p)

RoseRedDead
January 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Okay, okay, I'm giving this another go.

I'm pretty sure my hair hates aloe, but maybe I haven't been using it right.

Right now, I have this some of this mixture:

-2 tablespoons GVP Conditioning Balm
-2 tablespoons Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin conditioner
-1 tablespoon honey
-1 tablespoon aloe
-some extra virgin olive oil

slathered over freshly clarified hair. I'm leaving it on until after 1500 (so it'll be on my head about 3 1/2 hours). I hope that this gives me the soft, moisturized hair that everyone raves about.

I really really want this to work. I'm hoping that in the past my issues have been because of protein, cleansing conditioners (the ones I use to CO), and too much rinsing (have to leave a little bit of residue or my hair goes snap crackle pop).

:pray:

RoseRedDead
January 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hair is not silky or moisturized... kind of rough feeling. Bah, maybe it just needs to calm down. Maybe it'll be better tomorrow.

I really do think aloe hates me. :(

Sissy
January 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hair is not silky or moisturized... kind of rough feeling. Bah, maybe it just needs to calm down. Maybe it'll be better tomorrow.

oh, no! That's too bad. Although, I have heard of other people saying SMT doesn't work for them. Have you considered trying molasses instead of honey or not using the olive oil with the mixture? I know the conditioner I usually use with my SMT is GVP Conditioning Balm and I have good results with that. Hopefully you can find a combination that works for you. But, if not no frets because maybe it just means your more suited for caramel treatment or olive oil and shea butter or cocoa butter and shea butter or some other lovely moisturizing combination treatment.

Personally, I haven't done an SMT in a long time. This whole past week I've been doing catnip tea soaks and they've lovely. Iv'e been letting it soak an hour each night which doesn't leave any extra time for SMT's or such. Heck I have catnip treatment on my hair right now!

ljkforu
February 3rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
This is only my humble opinion -- so no body get to irritable. It seems that it can take honey a few days to calm down after an SMT it also seems to help to use have cones just for this application and to set henna/katam/indigo. Rest of the time cone free. But when you want to trap things in use it. This may not be try for everyone.

Anje
February 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM

I've gotten a rough feeling a few times when I overdo it on the honey. Your proportions look fine, but it might be worth trying a bit less honey, or maybe a different sugary syrup (molasses, perhaps. My latest experiment is corn syrup, which is dirt cheap). Honey can leave a residue sometimes, which is really unpleasant.

RoseRedDead
February 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Thank you all for your recommendations. I will consider them.

I honestly at this point don't know if I even care to bother with SMTs. I've never gotten satisfactory results, even from day 1. I will just have to review my routine and decide whether or not I want/need this badly enough to go through more trial and error to make it work.

Deep down, I'm really lazy. :D

halfbakedtulip
February 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM
IMHO I don't think the Smt did much for my hair.
I did another one yesterday and still nothing.
I think that I can get a very good treatment from my pantene or aussie deep treatment.
Maybe my hair is too picky.

I know this is from awhile ago but I wanted to say that the green aloe gel contains alcohol. Alcohol is drying. That is why clear gel is recommended as it contains no alcohol. Dollars to donuts (as if I just said that haha) that is where your tangling is coming from. Also is there a reason you put umm brain freeze here...I think you said castor oil in? Also if you have been using coney anything did you clarify first?

Sissy
February 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I did one yesterday and got good results. I used very little aloe vera gel this time. I used GVP conditioning balm, castor oil, and molasses :p

halfbakedtulip
February 19th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I was rereading the instructions for SMT to double check how to use it. Last time I used it I did not cover my hair and found that the SMT had dried.

How should I tweek my routine to make it better?

I wash my hair with neutragena clarifing shampoo, then henna. I remove henna with mermaid soak and cheap conditioner. I then use a normal conditioner and rinse with white vinegar. I rinse out the vinegar rinse. I do not shampoo after henna.

A couple of days later, I use coconut oil on my dry hair. I do not wrap. (I think I need to ask questions in the coconut oil thread.) I leave the coconut oil on for a 30 minutes to an hour.

I then put on the SMT over the coconut oil. I wrap it up and leave on for an hour or more. I then shampoo and condition my hair as normal. I rinse with a vinegar rinse (1-2 teaspoon in 4 cups water). I rinse out the vinegar rinse.

I made a big batch of SMT, it has clumps in it now. I wonder what caused the lumps. I used the following for the SMT?

Fruit of the Earth aloe gel clear
1/2 Sauve Coconut conditioner and 1/2 Sauve lavender conditoner for the conditioner part
honey.

Should I be making up a new batch of SMT each time?

I plan on using a different conditoner and see if left a long time will become lumpy.

When my hair was very damaged a few months ago, I used SMT more often. I wonder if I should use it more often again?

Is it bad to use SMT on dry hair?

Is the SMT less effective on dry or oily hair?

Your problem is the suave coconut...it is a protein conditioner

little_cherry
February 19th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I also did an SMT today! I used Suave Coconut conditioner, aloe, unpasturised clover honey, almond oil blend, coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil and maple syrup. I wrapped it up in cling wrap, foil and a woolen cap and let it sit on my hair for about 5 hours! My hair feels lovely now!

Edit: mine curdled a little so I got one of those mini-whisks and smoothed it out :)

janeytilllie
February 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
At the moment I'm sitting with a SMT on my head :)

I found in a charity shop a whole 200ml tube of Aloe Pura organic 99.9&#37; aloe vera gel for 75P!!!! :D So I decided to try an SMT.

I used

* 4 tablespoons of Faith in Nature hemp and meadowfoam moisture conditioner.

* 1 tablespoon of organic Aloe Pura vera gel

* 1 tablespoon of cheap honey

I mixed up the SMT first and then washed my hair.

I then placed the SMT all over my hair making sure the ends got plenty on.

When I put the SMT on my hair was super smooth and instanly detangled. So I have high hopes :)

So far i've had the SMT with a plastic cap on for 3 hours. I might go another hour and then rinse out. I will update with the results.
Wish me luck ;)

little_cherry
February 28th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I added glycerin to my SMT and got amazing results! Super soft hair :)

janeytilllie
February 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm back. My hair about 95% dry. I love SMT :inlove:

My hair was very easy to rinse out and left it easy to detangle.
At this moment it is really super soft :)

Here's a picture after SMT
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2286&pictureid=65393

squee
March 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I did a SMT thing(on dry hair, 2 days after wash day) with aubery organics desert condish. and burts bees shea and grapefruit deep condish with lily of the desert aloe and some nightblooming oil and reg. nuked basswood honey(only one we had, don't think it matters to much). Used a bunch of plastic wrap for my head! I used nightblooming's dark hair herbs with some oats as a rinse with the water after that.

parts(about)
1 part honey
4 parts condish (about half and half of the 2)
2 parts aloe
1 dropper full of the nightblooming oil
1 tea bag of nightblooming dark hair treatment stuff
2 tea bags of oats

Results:
The mix was creamy and runny, so it was very easy to apply.
I just discovered that I HATE plastic on my head.
I let the SMT sit for about an hour (stupid plastic!)
Rinsing was super easy
It is an improvement from the dryness/brittleness, next time I think I shall try damp hair and a longer time....after I invest in a shower cap...plastic wrap drives me crazy!

angour
March 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm planning to do this SMT treatment today (not sure about the exact quantities yet... will update)

VO5 Passion Fruit Conditioner
Honey
Aloe
A bit of VCO
A bit of avocado oil
A bit of vegetable glycerin
A couple of egg yolks

I colored my hair yesterday with Wella Color Touch, which is not a very damaging dye... but I over processed it by about 15-20 minutes and neet to moisturize asap....

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Guys. Well I have been meaning to try SMT for quite awhile and finally got round to buying some AV and honey. I loved it! It certainly left my hair softer, shinier and strangely straighter???? "Relaxed" I supposed would be a good way of putting it. The down side to it is what others have described as white bits in the afterwards. I was sure I rinsed well and have quite a powerful shower (its so powerful it gets henna out a treat). I panicked a little but once it was try it combed out fine, so no biggy. I will experiment with different conditioners and see if that makes a difference.

I used a very cheap cone free supermarket conditioner (which I love for co washing) 4 tble sp
Honey and Royal Jelly 1 tble sp
Aloe vera 1 tble sp

I haven't noticed anyone else using Royal Jelly, but it appealed to me as I have heard great things about it and thought I would gived it a whirl. Its a lot grittier than normal honey (makes a great exfoliant I discovered). Maybe that was the problem. But the bits weren't honey bits but like stringy stuff. I would also prefer it to be less runny - simply for ease of use. I will try just heating the honey and royal jelly and adding a thicker conditioner. Will report back.

Thank you to Snowy for sharing this and the OP. I had fun trying it.

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
OK. I think I've got it sussed! I revised my initially attempt and its worked a treat. Really, really wonderful results. Here's what I did

4 spoons of Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (coney but my hair loves it)
1 spoon of Aloe Vera Gel
1 spoon of Honey & Royal Jelly

I only heated the Honey and Royal jelly. Then mixed in the AVera. Then slowly, slowly, bit by bit mixed the conditioner, until it was smooth and thick. A bit like any DT. Wrapped it and left it on for an hour. Rinsed well and wow. No bits at all!. Amazing. I'm going to do this twice weekly.

Have been inspired to experiment with similar treatments for my face. But thats another story...

pinklemonade
March 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
OK. I think I've got it sussed! I revised my initially attempt and its worked a treat. Really, really wonderful results. Here's what I did

1 spoon of Aloe Vera Gel

I only heated the Honey and Royal jelly. Then mixed in the AVera. Then slowly, slowly, bit by bit mixed the conditioner, until it was smooth and thick. A bit like any DT. Wrapped it and left it on for an hour. Rinsed well and wow. No bits at all!. Amazing. I'm going to do this twice weekly.

Have been inspired to experiment with similar treatments for my face. But thats another story...

Wow sounds great! I've been so tempted to try hello hydration but since I saw cones in the ingredients....does it really hydrate your hair? I know there's some coconut in there, and it smells good!!

cellardoor
March 7th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I did this first the time last night and I was shocked by how good of results I got! My hair turned out so silky and shiny, although I think the honey might have caused a bit of frizz. Next time I'll experiment with no honey and see how it goes. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe!

alwayssmiling
March 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, it smells great but is great for my frizzy prone hair. Makes it relaxed and shiny. I've tried doing no cones and I found I missed the relaxation cones gave me. I do clarify every now and then. I read here that SMT's don't work so good with cones. But after trying a no cone condish and a coney condish the coney one wins hands down for me. I suppose its a bit of trial and error. I'm thinking of trying SMT's with a blended banana???

Carolyn
March 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Yes, it smells great but is great for my frizzy prone hair. Makes it relaxed and shiny. I've tried doing no cones and I found I missed the relaxation cones gave me. I do clarify every now and then. I read here that SMT's don't work so good with cones. But after trying a no cone condish and a coney condish the coney one wins hands down for me. I suppose its a bit of trial and error. I'm thinking of trying SMT's with a blended banana???Can you handle the smell of banana? I can't. One suggestion would be to use a coney conditioner after you rinse out your SMT.

autumnsdaughter
March 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I saw this and had to try it... I mixed up honey, aloe fresh from the plant, and Trader Joe's NourishSpa conditioner. It mixed well, and was so creamy and smelled wonderful! Now I'm hanging out here, waiting for it to do it's magic! Hopefully it turns out well. :)

alwayssmiling
March 8th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Can you handle the smell of banana? I can't. One suggestion would be to use a coney conditioner after you rinse out your SMT.

Funny isn't it. I love the smell of banana. I was thinking of trying Bodyshops banana shampoo/condish.

I never thought of conditioning after SMT. Will try it next time. :)

heatherovka
March 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I just did my first SMT using the original recipe. I don't know why, but I was kind of skeptical it would do much for me, maybe because the ingredient list and mixture is so simple. I am pleasantly surprised that it did. It felt so silky while I was rinsing it out, and when it was dry my hair was so soft and super-hydrated and nice... I'm impressed! I was also glad that I didn't have any frizz problems from the honey. Now I see why this recipe is 'much-recommended'. Thanks! :D

ljkforu
March 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Yes, it smells great but is great for my frizzy prone hair. Makes it relaxed and shiny. I've tried doing no cones and I found I missed the relaxation cones gave me. I do clarify every now and then. I read here that SMT's don't work so good with cones. But after trying a no cone condish and a coney condish the coney one wins hands down for me. I suppose its a bit of trial and error. I'm thinking of trying SMT's with a blended banana???

Avocado might work miracles also.

alwayssmiling
March 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Will try avocado. Great on my face too. I'll report back any results.

emmabovary
March 18th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I tried the original recipe last night (slept with it); used a no cones conditioner. My hair turned out.. hmm, I'm not sure. It's kinda frizzy, at least on one side, and less curly than usual. It does feel nice and soft, although a bit stringy. Did I not rinse it out properly? Or was it the Aloe gel, my hair hated that for styling but I thought it might be ok if I rinsed it out...

emmabovary
March 19th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Nevermind, a tiny drop of olive oil got rid of the frizz completely :D and the curls were actually great, just that the hair was a bit flatter so I didn't see properly at first.

BelleBot
March 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
The answer may be hidden in this thread, but I haven't found it yet. Is there a way of doing an SMT without aloe vera? I can I substitute it for something else?

I'm allergic to aloe vera, so it wouldn't be a wise move using it anywhere near my skin. I would try it on my lengths but there's still the issue it might come into contact with my hands.

Belisarius
March 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
The answer may be hidden in this thread, but I haven't found it yet. Is there a way of doing an SMT without aloe vera? I can I substitute it for something else?

I'm allergic to aloe vera, so it wouldn't be a wise move using it anywhere near my skin. I would try it on my lengths but there's still the issue it might come into contact with my hands.
If i use a mixture of honey and conditioner it makes my hair soft too. Using aloe vera even more so. So you could simply try a mixture of honey and conditioner and see how that works.

halo_tightens
March 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM

I've SMT'ed before when I was out of aloe. I always found that using the conditioner, the honey, and maybe even some nice oils or something is very nice on its own, aloe or no aloe!

I guess aloe gel is part of what makes it the "official" SMT recipe-- but I do plenty of them with none in there at all. :o

It's nice either way! Speaking of which, it's been quite a while... :D

papillion
March 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've run out of aloe gel, so my SMTs are just honey and conditioner at the moment. It still works well, my hair is lovely and soft just like it would be with a 'normal' SMT. There's very little difference in the results, but I definitely prefer the results with aloe in the mix.

naereid
March 25th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I just tried to do my first SMT. Without the honey, though - just aloe and conditioner.
I was really excited about it... but I got flakes and white gunk that wouldn't wash out until I used some shampoo. :( So sad. At least my hair feels a bit softer. It's still soaking wet so I'll have to wait and see if it looks any different.

Conditioner: Garnier Triple Nutrition
Aloe: ESI Aloe Vera gel
(http://www.esitalia.it/esitalia/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=119&category_id=24&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=38)

sibiryachka
March 25th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I just tried it for the first time today, using White Rain's version of the Garnier Triple Nutrition condish, and Target's house brand AVG. Sadly, the condish is not cone-free, but the dimethicone is low on the ingredient list so I figured it would be OK if not ideal... plus we had a full bottle of it in the spare bathroom.
It rinsed out fabulously, dried a bit straighter than usual and a teensy bit frizzy (I made a point of not combing at all during the drying, after detangling), but feels wonderful. The real test will be how it looks & feels tomorrow, but safe to say I'll be adding SMT to my routine. I suspect I'll like it even more with a cone-free condish.

Quixii
March 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I've got my second ever SMT in my hair. The first one was some time ago, and I didn't notice anything particularly different about my hair. This time I used a different conditioner - a mixture of VO5 and some organic cone-free stuff I got at Safeway - and honey and aloe vera gel. It felt very... moisturised putting it in, so I hope after sitting a few hours it will feel even more so.
I'm trying to decide if I want to try sleeping with it in. My hair doesn't like to dry while I'm awake, some I'm worried that would mess with whatever results I'd get. And either way, should I let it dry naturally or should I plop it? And I was thinking about putting some olive oil on it, because I've never oiled and I might as well after a moisture treatment, right? Decisions, decisions.

walterSCAN
April 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
I'm trying this right now (first time!) using Burt's Bees Avocado Treatment and aloe... no honey though, as I don't think my hair likes humectants... I usually have to use shampoo to get the BBees out though, so I have have to use a bit-- against the original instructions...

Crossed fingers that my hair feels nice anyway!

jasper
April 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Okay, here we go! I'm using 1 part honey with 5 parts conditioner called Aloe80 Organics. The first ingredient listed on the conditioner is aloe vera gel, so I mixed my SMT without adding more aloe vera. I've got my plastic bag on my head and I'll wait a couple of hours. :) See you on the other side.

tinkerbellisme
April 6th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Well, I've finished my first SMT....and I love it!! I did it just like the original recipe, but added a bit of jojoba oil. The only part I didn't like was the flakes/chunks (totally my fault)...I did it overnight and apparently I tossed and turned a bit and my plastic wrap slid up quite a bit. I wet the exposed hair down and globbed some conditioner on it, waited an hour, then jumped in the shower and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. I still had what looked like little flakes coming out. I was very surprised that even with all that rinsing, my hair wasn't getting gnarly. After I got out of the shower, I was even able to run a fine tooth comb (not something I normally would do in my type 3 hair, even if I ever could) and it didn't get stuck!!

Next time however, I will do it during the day so I can make sure my hair stays covered :rolleyes:

I can't thank you enough for this recipe!

LoversLullaby
April 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I love doing SMTs! I do one once a week. I use 4 parts Trader Joe's Refresh conditioner (it's nice and rich - good for an SMT I think), I part Walgreens Alcohol-Free Aloe Vera Gel, 1 part clover honey in a bottle shaped like Winnie the Pooh (ahaha!), and 3 drops of jojoba oil. I measure them out using a small spoon.

I mix up the conditoner, aloe vera gel, and honey in a bowl, and microwave for 10 seconds. Afterwards I add the 3 drops of jojoba oil (I tried microwaving it with the jojoba oil once and it got runny) and mix it up.

I head to the shower, get my hair wet and do CWC. After rinsing all of it out, I ring out my hair and put on the SMT all over my head, combing it through slightly with my fingers. Put on a shower cap and a towel turban style and leave it on for 2 hours. Then head back to the shower and rinse it all out!

jasper
April 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I think I like it. I will start earlier next time, because it kept me up late waiting for my hair to be dry enough after rinsing so I could go to bed. My hair was very much in the mood to hang on to moisture.

Locksmith
April 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Whee, I just did an overnight SMT, and voila - super-soft, shiny hair! It smells edible. Mmmm honey and coconut! On which note, I can confirm that the Superdrug Naturals Coconut & Sweet Almond conditioner works really well for SMT (also the deep treatment version of the same stuff). Dirt cheap conditioner, it's great stuff! :D

frogette
April 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I'm having a modified smt on my head right now (the modification was involuntary, I just didn't check I had enough condish) with 1 part honey, 1 part Lily of the Valley aloe gel (this stuff is crazy expensive around here) and 2 parts conditioner. I nuked the honey and added the other ingredients afterward. The mix lumped like crazy immediately; I whipped it with a kitchen whip (I don't have a blender) but it was still veeeery lumpy when I put it on my head. That was probably not a good move, but I hated to waste the ingredients. I'll keep it on my head for 30 minutes (I'd have left it longer but I'm already worrying about how I'll get the flecks out of my hair) and report the results.

I wonder what went wrong. I can't see any protein in the conditioner's ingredient list (i used garnier Fructis triple nutrition):
Aqua/Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 15985/Yellow 6, Niacinamide, Ribes Nigrum Oil/Black Currant Seed Oil, Saccharum Officinarum Extract/Sugar Cane Extract, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Olea Europaea Oil/Olive Fruit Oil, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Camellia Sinensis Extract/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Pyrus Malus Extract/Apple Fruit Extract, Pyridoxine HCI, Persea Gratissima Oil/Avocado Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Shea Butter, Citric Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract/Lemon Peel Extract, Glycerin, Parfum/Fragrance.

Edit 1: the specks went away easily when I rinsed, so I won't even have to wash my hair. My hair is still wet so I can't tell for sure, but it feels nice and moisturized.

Edit 2 : my hair is now dry (I had to rinse again because I still had specks in it after all). It's soft and shiny but also flyaway and tangly, which is a weird combination -- seemingly, too much honey can do that. I'm also shedding in abnormal quantities, but I should have known: when I tried CO for a couple of months last year, it made me shed like a dog. I thought it would be different if i clarified first and used another conditioner, but it's getting obvious that my scalp just hates conditioner.

So next time i try this:
- I'll respect the proportions
- I'll use it on the lengths only
- I will allow the honey to cool down completely after I heat it, in the hope that it won't curd.

kurlylox
April 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM

1 spoon of Aloe Vera Gel

Do you use both honey and royal jelly?

alwayssmiling
April 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Frogette -Yes the jar was Honey and Royal Jelly in one. I only bought it because it was the same price and I vaguely remember reading that Royal Jelly was good for hair.

I think the key is not over heating the Honey, then adding the conditioner a little bit at a time. Like doing a lump free sauce!

I have been experimenting like mad since I discovered SMT. My final addition is now 50/50 conditioner/cholesterol. I tried adding castor oil, coconut oil, evo. But it didn't make a massive difference to the results. Cholesterol however, gave me a little bounce and body to my hair afterwards.

EDW
April 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I tried this for the first time last night over my hennaed hair. A little henna bled out during the rinse, but not too noticeable a change in my hair color. I love the feel and smell of my hair. My ends no longer feel crunchy. I plan on doing a DT every two weeks! My hair is a far cry from the coarse texture of four months ago. I mixed Aubrey Organics GPB, Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel and regular honey and left it in for an hour.

EDW
April 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Forgot to say:

Thank you Snowymoon, wherever you are!

XcaliburGirl
May 9th, 2010, 06:24 AM
So, I've been wanting to try SMT for a while and finally have an hour free this morning. I thought I had clear aloe gel, but I can only find green.

I'm looking at the ingredients list and I can't seem to determine whether this will work or not. I don't see anything ending with -caine, which I've seen in some that have pain relief for sunburn.

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Water, SD Alcohol 40, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Benzonphenone-4, Imidazonlidinyl, Urea, Fragrance, Yellow 5, Blue 1.

ETA: This is Walgreens Aloe Vera Gel. I'm thinking the Alcohol may be something to worry about. Anyone know?

Nae
May 9th, 2010, 06:31 AM
The alcohol might dry it out which is the opposite of what you want. I tried some of the green Walgreens stuff on my hair as gel and it ended up reeeallly dry. I ended up going to Wal-mart and buying this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797 It works real well.

XcaliburGirl
May 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
The alcohol might dry it out which is the opposite of what you want. I tried some of the green Walgreens stuff on my hair as gel and it ended up reeeallly dry. I ended up going to Wal-mart and buying this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797 It works real well.
Thanks. I won't risk it, then, until I get something alcohol-free.

I'm already a little apprehensive about the honey, since last time I did something with honey in it I ended up with frizzy too-soft hair. But, there was lots of other new stuff in my hair that day, so it could have been something else. I don't think it was damaging though, so I figured I'd try this and see what happens.

Animae
May 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM
ok, I have a SMT in my hair for the first time! I used the V05 Freesia and jason aloe, and a honey I found in whole foods, microed it for 20 seconds and put it in.

Is the treatment supposed to mix up completely smooth? because mine was slightly chunky, but once it spread it on, it absorbed into my hair quite well.

I put it on dry hair and I have a shower cap over it, I plan on leaving it on for a few hours.

Animae
May 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Double post to say

WOW!!! my hair feels amazing. I had to help a friend move into her new place last night and My hair feel silky even after all of that.

I think I'm going to try putting it on damp clean hair next, because I really should wash my hair after all the dust and animal hair.

But I am amazed at how awesome my hair looks and feels. and still smells of the freesia conditioner. Has anyone tried doing this withany of the lush conditioners? American Cream in particular would make my hair smell amazing for days.

oceanwoman111
May 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks!! Great recipe. I will try this as soon as I get the ingredients.

Animae
May 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Maybe Lush conditioner should go in the not recommended list.

But my hair did smell really nice.

The whole thing just turned to a liquid, so it was really hard to apply. So far I've also tried suave, and I think that V05 has made my hair the softest.

Where do you all find the largest selection of V05? because everywhere I go around here seems to have tons of suave but only about two V05 products.

Cheeks1206
May 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I did my first SMT last night and, I have to say, my hair feels really nice. I could immediately tell my hair felt softer and much smoother than before. So far, I haven't been able to tell how it has effected my curls, when I woke up my hair did have curl in it but it was slightly pulled out from me sleeping on it while it was wet. This morning I threw it up into a pony and ran out the door, so not much has been done in the way of styling.

In my mix I used Suave aloe & water lily (I think that's it), Lily of the Desert gel and Wal-Mart brand honey. I warmed the honey first then added the other ingredients. The gel was still a little chunky but it didn't seem to matter too much when I slathered it on my hair. I think it was on my hair for over an hour, but I didn't time it so I'm not 100% on that.

I know it is very soon, but I think I might do another one this weekend. I'm pretty sure my hair needs the moisture.

jane53
June 2nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Someone recommended I use this method, so I'm bumping the thread to get some fresh comments before I buckle under and do it!