PDA

View Full Version : The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Katia_k
June 25th, 2017, 09:58 PM
I use the Sally's generic version of Matrix conditioning balm, and it's worked like a dream every time. Might be worth a shot.

Anje
June 26th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Is it just my luck or has anyone else had a problem finding a conditioner that works well with an SMT?

I've got a suspicion that the curds come from microwaving aloe, and haven't had much issue since I stopped bothering to add it. Probably varies with brand of gel you use, if it is that. It would explain why some people have issues with a conditioner and others don't, if it's not the condish at all. But I haven't gotten around to testing it out.

Jo Ann
June 26th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I do mix then nuke everything, Anje...I'll try nuking just the honey, then add the rest of the ingredients.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kitty-Zen
June 29th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I bought a fresh aloe leaf and some raw wildflower honey and mixed it with aussie moist. I went eay overboard with the aloe so i ended up with essencially twice as much as i needed. On a last minute impulse i mixed in a dab of manic panic ultra violet dye, which being vegtable based i assumed wouldnt hurt. I also wasn't sure how much color clarifying first would strip. I started with a clarifying rinse of a few drops of bronners peppermint dilluted with water, followed by dilluted acv. It turns out my color wasnt effected much at all, which is kind of relieving but makes me wonder if i clarified ENOUGH (was having some protein overload prior which i assume was caused by using the wrong sort of shea moisture hair mask, breakage and too little give although still soft. My hair can handle some protien but it feels like i overdid it, similar to how the redken anti snap leave in used to make my hair feel.) i did a test patch and it looks like the dallop of dye wont darken too severley even though it darkened the SMT quite a bit in my cup. Rinsing in the next 20 minutes and will report back. It smells freaking AMAZING i hope it works well!

Results: hair is shiny soft and way more moist! The toning effect was very mild and even . Im glad i made too much, def want to use it again next week!

Jo Ann
June 30th, 2017, 11:27 PM
I've got a suspicion that the curds come from microwaving aloe, and haven't had much issue since I stopped bothering to add it. Probably varies with brand of gel you use, if it is that. It would explain why some people have issues with a conditioner and others don't, if it's not the condish at all. But I haven't gotten around to testing it out.
Well, I'm trying it again tonight, Anje...mixed the honey with the conditioners (ran out of Mane and Tail and used Aussie Mega-Moist to balance everything out) and nuked it, THEN added the aloe. Dang, that stuff was THICK! :shocked:

Anyway, left it on for an hour on freshly washed hair (unconditioned)...I think I have SUCCESS! :p No snarly, matted mess after rinsing it out and my hair feels fuller/thicker AND I'm not fighting the urge to dump oils on it as it dries! I just put a very light coating of coconut oil (my usual after WCC routine) and it's feeling and looking fantastic! It also would appear I've found the conditioner that works for me with the Aussie Mega-Moist! I'll know better after I do another SMT :)

Count me as a Happy Customer! Thank you and kudos to Snowymoon, too!

Jo Ann
July 13th, 2017, 04:47 PM
WHEEEEE! Hair is about 70% dry and it appears Aussie Mega-Moist Conditioner is for me! It feels soft, has bounce and shine! :hollie:

I think I'm in love with my SMT hair! :p

likelikepenny
July 15th, 2017, 06:24 PM
I was wondering if I can use aloe vera juice rather than aloe vera gel?

_anya
July 19th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I just made my first ever SMT and for the aloe vera, I used Alba Botanical After Sun Gel and had no apparent issues whatsoever, despite it not being on the "safe" list and only 98% aloe. I had no idea whether it'd work or not. But considering it is a clear, watery consistency without synthetics, pthalates or any -caines/numbing agents in it, I thought "Why not?"
(FYI: The other 2% ingredients are things like glycerin, camillia senesis leaf extract, cananga odarata flower oil, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, radish root ferment filtrate, apple fruit extract, lactobacillus/arundinara gigantea ferment filtrate, spinosa gum, xantham gum,caprylic triglyceride, calcium gluconate, potassium hydroxide, triethyl citrate, and a few others). JSYK :D

I mixed everything together using:
- 4 parts Aussie Moist 3Minute Miracle Moist
- 1.5 part honey (raw, which I'm lucky enough to get from my beekeeper father) since my hair seems to be losing a lot of much moisture in the lengths lately.
- 1 part Alba After Sun Gel
- A drop of safflower oil I had in the kitchen
- a teensy amount of distilled water just to thin the consistency a little bit.
Nuked it for 14 seconds.
I kept it all on for about an hour and then rinsed off well.
Result? My ravaged hair LOVES this concoction - no white bits or chunks either. I am noticing a lot less hair fall and a huge decrease in snapping/breakage 2 days later! I'm going to make this my weekly mask!
Thanks so much for LHC for turning me onto SMT!

pandabarrier
July 23rd, 2017, 10:50 AM
I was wondering if I can use aloe vera juice rather than aloe vera gel?

I used aloe vera juice before in SMT, it mixed well with the conditioner and honey, and appeared to be fine, but kept dripping on my neck during the treatment.

likelikepenny
July 23rd, 2017, 08:43 PM
I used aloe vera juice before in SMT, it mixed well with the conditioner and honey, and appeared to be fine, but kept dripping on my neck during the treatment.

I ended up applying it in a two step and worked pretty well. I didn't have honey so I applied the aloe vera juice with a spray bottle to dampen my hair and then applied conditioner and oil. All in all, good results :)

pandabarrier
July 24th, 2017, 04:34 AM
I ended up applying it in a two step and worked pretty well. I didn't have honey so I applied the aloe vera juice with a spray bottle to dampen my hair and then applied conditioner and oil. All in all, good results :)

That's very clever, using a spray bottle to apply aloe vera juice! :thumbsup: Glad it worked!

Dendra
July 29th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I am sitting in a shower cap having applied my first ever SMT, but there's a problem - I made too much! Will the mixture keep for a week (till my next hair wash) if I put it in the fridge?

If not, what other uses could I find for it? I don't need to shave any body hair otherwise I'd use it as a shaving foam.

*** On a positive note, the texture of the mixture felt absolutely amazing as I was slathering it on, and if all goes well I have a new aloe and conditioner to add to the 'safe' list :D ***

meteor
July 29th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I am sitting in a shower cap having applied my first ever SMT, but there's a problem - I made too much! Will the mixture keep for a week (till my next hair wash) if I put it in the fridge?

It can. Hard to tell for sure - depends on how much water there is, the temperature in that section of the fridge, etc... I think it should keep fine , and you can probably freeze the mix, as well, it might mess up the texture though.

Dendra
July 29th, 2017, 01:05 PM
It can. Hard to tell for sure - depends on how much water there is, the temperature in that section of the fridge, etc... I think it should keep fine , and you can probably freeze the mix, as well, it might mess up the texture though.

Oh wow I didn't even think of freezing it. Okay, I'll put it in the fridge and hope for the best, thank you for your reply meteor :flower:

If only I could use it as hand cream or something, I use that about twenty times a day.

meteor
July 29th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Oh wow I didn't even think of freezing it. Okay, I'll put it in the fridge and hope for the best, thank you for your reply meteor :flower:

If only I could use it as hand cream or something, I use that about twenty times a day.

Well, some people do like honey in a wash/rinse or as a hydrating mask and aloe as a moisturizer, but conditioner might feel really greasy and some get bacne from it pretty easily, even when it's washed off fast... However, if you are feeling adventurous, and if you don't mind masks (that you wash off) on hands, you could try it, too (maybe patch-test it). The skin on hands can often tolerate the kind of stuff that facial skin can find comedogenic.

Dendra
July 29th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Well, some people do like honey in a wash/rinse or as a hydrating mask and aloe as a moisturizer, but conditioner might feel really greasy and some get bacne from it pretty easily, even when it's washed off fast... However, if you are feeling adventurous, and if you don't mind masks (that you wash off) on hands, you could try it, too (maybe patch-test it). The skin on hands can often tolerate the kind of stuff that facial skin can find comedogenic.

I see what you mean, using it as a wash-off hand mask. It did feel lovely on my hands. Hmmm I'm just not sure as I have very sensitive skin, it's the conditioner that would bother me as, like you said, the honey and the aloe are fine. I'll probably just whack it in the fridge unless any ingenious suggestions come up :cool:

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 30th, 2017, 01:05 AM
I see what you mean, using it as a wash-off hand mask. It did feel lovely on my hands. Hmmm I'm just not sure as I have very sensitive skin, it's the conditioner that would bother me as, like you said, the honey and the aloe are fine. I'll probably just whack it in the fridge unless any ingenious suggestions come up :cool:

I actually made a huge jar of SMT, kept it in the bathroom for what feels like several months and it still works.
It smells like crap, like play-dough because I used a kind of icky conditioner with this batch. It works though. I dont like SMT too much though so I mostly use it to wash out my indigo when I two step. So I cowash with it basically.

Dendra
July 30th, 2017, 06:50 AM
I effectively co-washed with it too! I put it on dry hair, left it for two hours and then shampooed and conditioned. My braid tassel feels very smooth today and the length seems to have more movement. Success :)

Ligeia Noire
July 30th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Now every time I chelate or clarify I do an smt... I am actually doing it right now. I revamped it by adding a few drops of castor oil.

likelikepenny
July 31st, 2017, 05:08 AM
Now every time I chelate or clarify I do an smt... I am actually doing it right now. I revamped it by adding a few drops of castor oil.

My hair loves castor oil and I've never thought to do this. Next time....

Ligeia Noire
July 31st, 2017, 05:56 AM
Really notice a difference. My hair does not dry as fast. It does not loose moisture as easily. I woke up and my hair is still pretty damp. Which makes me super happy. In this desert weather any water evaporates so quickly.

Kikyou
August 17th, 2017, 06:21 PM
I tried it with Garnier whole blends coconut water. It got slightly lumpy, but the lumps were not sticking to hair, they rinsed out easily.

Jo Ann
August 18th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Anyone ever experience your hair acting like it's had a protein overload? I tried mixing a cheap shea oil instead of the aloe vera gel with my last SMT and my hair's been drinking up my argan serum like CRAZY! Usually it takes about a day for the argan oil serum to soak in, but the last couple of times, it's taken mere HOURS (like about three or four) for the serum to be absorbed!

I'll be clarifying with my next wash, see if that clears up the problem...

Ligeia Noire
August 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Vanessa just uploaded a video of an smt but she did not call it that or mentioned anything about knowing about it. I thought it was weird because I believe she used to be an lhc member. Mind you she never claimed it was her own invention or anything just thought it was strange as it is such a popular treatment and the ingredients are exactly the same. I think it got so popular most people outside this forum have no idea it came from here. Anywaaaaaaaaaaay, gives us a chance to see the how to do it in action and how awesome her hair looks after it. Really makes it shine.

https://youtu.be/m8GYCIvi17E

Jo Ann
August 25th, 2017, 06:30 AM
I use the Sally's generic version of Matrix conditioning balm, and it's worked like a dream every time. Might be worth a shot.
I just bought some of that! Tried it on my hair as my first conditioner (I WCC) and LOVE it! It's also the first conditioner I've purchased without cones. I also noticed it doesn't list proteins (at least explicitly) and I'm thinking it might work for me in my next SMT.

Is it a general rule of thumb that, if a non-coney conditioner makes your hair happy when used as part of your wash routine, it will make your hair happy as part of an SMT? I've been thinking that part of my problem finding a SMT conditioner my hair LOVES (as compared to like) is that my hair doesn't do too well with a protein-enriched conditioner, and the conditioners I've tried have had protein(s) in them (although I've been finding protein further down the ingredient list and have been getting better results with less protein(s) in the conditioner).

Just an observation and question... ;)

Dendra
August 25th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I tried an SMT yesterday using a conditioner I just bought by Simple. It worked fine, especially considering it contains dimethicone. My hair still feels incredibly soft.

Katia_k
August 26th, 2017, 06:26 PM
I just bought some of that! Tried it on my hair as my first conditioner (I WCC) and LOVE it! It's also the first conditioner I've purchased without cones. I also noticed it doesn't list proteins (at least explicitly) and I'm thinking it might work for me in my next SMT.

Is it a general rule of thumb that, if a non-coney conditioner makes your hair happy when used as part of your wash routine, it will make your hair happy as part of an SMT? I've been thinking that part of my problem finding a SMT conditioner my hair LOVES (as compared to like) is that my hair doesn't do too well with a protein-enriched conditioner, and the conditioners I've tried have had protein(s) in them (although I've been finding protein further down the ingredient list and have been getting better results with less protein(s) in the conditioner).

Just an observation and question... ;)

Definitely all makes sense. I think it's safe to say what works as a conditioner will work as an SMT, as long as it doesn't clash with the aloe or honey. It sometimes doesn't go the other way around; I love the conditioning balm for SMT's, but don't like it as much for plain washing. But I also seem to have your opposite problem; my hair seems to crave protein. Conditioners I think should work that don't have all tended to be protein-free. But I'm glad you're figuring out what works for you, and you are definitely not alone in the hair not liking protein. There's some great protein-free stuff out there. :)

Jo Ann
August 28th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the response, Katia! I've tried four or five different conditioners and finally reached major like with Aussie Mega-Moist. When I do my next SMT, using the conditioning balm, I'll post the results!

lucid
September 9th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Could I use natural/pure aloe vera for this? I only have an aloe vera plant.

Dendra
September 10th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Could I use natural/pure aloe vera for this? I only have an aloe vera plant.

You can yes, aloe straight from the plant is listed in the first post, under aloes that have been tested and worked well. I found it labour intensive trying to get enough from the plant but I'm sure you can do it.

samanthaa
September 11th, 2017, 08:12 AM
If I write it here, maybe it'll actually happen: I need to do a cassia SMT. It feels like it's been years.

Jo Ann
September 16th, 2017, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the response, Katia! I've tried four or five different conditioners and finally reached major like with Aussie Mega-Moist. When I do my next SMT, using the conditioning balm, I'll post the results!
OK, tried the Sally's Generic version of the Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm and SUCCESS! Hair feels oh so nice, tangle-free and shiny as all get out!

Thank you, Katia, for the suggestion! :)

Katia_k
September 17th, 2017, 09:22 AM
OK, tried the Sally's Generic version of the Biolage Matrix Conditioning Balm and SUCCESS! Hair feels oh so nice, tangle-free and shiny as all get out!

I'm so glad it worked! That stuff is great, and so relatively cheap for a natural conditioner. :) You're reminding me I need to do one soon...my poor hair is very sad right now. But that product is hands-down the best one I've tried, and it doesn't run too badly, which is so nice...I used vo5 once and it leaked all over my face.

riphair
October 1st, 2017, 05:09 AM
I don't know if this is mentioned by someone already, but as for someone with very frizz-prone hair, substituting honey with full fat cream has worked great. :) My hair is very protein sensitive, but doesn't seem to mind the proteins from the cream, so I take the proteins as an added bonus. I still love the thought of adding honey to my hair though, and I'm still going to lighten my hair with honey, but then follow up with an overnight SMT without honey to eliminate frizz. Also, I used AO Honeysuckle Rose for my SMTs for several years without any issues, but I guess it depends on the consistency of the honey.

GRU
October 1st, 2017, 11:40 AM
Also, I used AO Honeysuckle Rose for my SMTs for several years without any issues, but I guess it depends on the consistency of the honey.

Honeysuckle is a flower/plant, not actual honey. There is no honey in AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, just essential oils from various plants (oddly enough, I DON'T see honeysuckle essential oil in the ingredient list!!!).

riphair
October 1st, 2017, 12:09 PM
Honeysuckle is a flower/plant, not actual honey. There is no honey in AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, just essential oils from various plants (oddly enough, I DON'T see honeysuckle essential oil in the ingredient list!!!).

I meant AO Honeysuckle Rose as the conditioner part in SMT. It's listed as one of the problematic conditioners for this recipe, but I never had any problems with it, so I guess the consistency of the recipe made with this conditioner depends on the thickness of the honey used with it. And no, the Honeysuckle-part is pure scam, there's apparently a newly invented "natural" preservative that's patented under the name Japanese Honeysuckle or something. Don't quote me on that, as I don't remember exactly, but I read it in an article discussing the false labeling of "natural" products. It's nevertheless a great conditioner, so I couldn't care less, lol.

Thorskin
November 4th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I really want to make this but I find it hard to find any of the conditioners listed in the UK. Anyone in the UK have any tips?

FineMiracle
December 6th, 2017, 09:35 PM
I will try this at some point with Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention Conditioner. Has no cones, I don't BELIEVE it has any protein in it so it shooould be okay I'd think? :confused:

FineMiracle
December 6th, 2017, 09:37 PM

I wanna try this one too! :D Although I heard from somewhere that they recently changed the formula?

Dendra
December 11th, 2017, 01:07 PM
I really want to make this but I find it hard to find any of the conditioners listed in the UK. Anyone in the UK have any tips?

Yes! Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I use this L'oreal conditioner and it works amazingly: http://www.boots.com/loreal-hair-expertise-replenishing-and-taming-conditioner-250ml-10153579

It's pricey but often on sale in either Boots or Superdrug.

Raevyngoddess
December 17th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Thanks for sharing, going to try this as soon as I get ingredients.

Natashap
December 19th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Would love to try it too.

lilelf
January 14th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Good morning! So, After suggesting an SMT to my SIL the other day and reading through the most recent pages of this thread, I am back in. Isn't it funny how we forget about these things sometimes? Here I sit with an SMT on for the first time in over a year. 3 p TJ Nourish Spa, 1 p FOTE, 1 p Wegman's brand honey ( mixed cold and applied) and a few drops Castor oil underneath a plastic cap and heating cap. Here is to hoping it works just as amazingly as it did the last time. Wish me luck!!! :)

shaluwm_agape
January 14th, 2018, 06:23 PM
What can i replace the aloe vera with? I have low porosity hair & want to try this but i am hesitant

Katia_k
January 14th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I have LP hair too, and the aloe doesn't seem to cause me a problem. But if you already have issues with it that's a different story of course.

shaluwm_agape
January 14th, 2018, 08:43 PM
How much do you use ? I have never tried it. But other LPs i know swear it does nothing good so i have stayed away but was always curious

Katia_k
January 17th, 2018, 02:23 PM
I do a half cup of conditioner, and 2 tablespoons each of the honey and aloe, and this usually leaves me with a good amount, almost more than I need for MBL thickish hair. I think it makes my hair really silky. It's more the conditioner I've had to be careful with, not the aloe.

Everyone's milage may very, of course, but I personally haven't had any bad experiences.

shaluwm_agape
January 17th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I do a half cup of conditioner, and 2 tablespoons each of the honey and aloe, and this usually leaves me with a good amount, almost more than I need for MBL thickish hair. I think it makes my hair really silky. It's more the conditioner I've had to be careful with, not the aloe.

Everyone's milage may very, of course, but I personally haven't had any bad experiences.

Thanks I will give this a try ASAP

Katia_k
January 22nd, 2018, 12:14 AM
Thanks I will give this a try ASAP

Let us know how it goes. :)

gustavonut
January 24th, 2018, 05:00 AM
Has anyone tried this with Aloe Vera juice? As apposed to the gel? I’ve been searching for the gel here in Germany but can’t seem to find it anywhere but the asian store I go to has the juice. :0

divinedobbie
January 31st, 2018, 01:42 PM
Has anyone tried this with Aloe Vera juice? As apposed to the gel? I’ve been searching for the gel here in Germany but can’t seem to find it anywhere but the asian store I go to has the juice. :0

Hmm Im thinking that maybe they are two words for the same thing (juice/gel). From my understanding, Aloe vera from the leaf is quite liquid in consistency vs gel-like seen in products. I would give it a shot anyway.

divinedobbie
January 31st, 2018, 01:45 PM
Haven't been able to find any pure aloe vera yet but I bought honey yesterday. I did an overnight coconut oil treatment and normally I'd soak in deep conditioner before washing to wash out the oil easier. I think this time I might do a modified SMT without the aloe vera and see how that goes.

My only concern is that I don't own a microwave so I'm not sure the easiest way to heat up conditioner. Im thinking of boiling some water in a pot and putting the conditioner and honey mix in a floating bowl (like how they melt chocolate)? Or maybe even putting a bowl in a sink of hot water?

gustavonut
January 31st, 2018, 02:23 PM
Haven't been able to find any pure aloe vera yet but I bought honey yesterday. I did an overnight coconut oil treatment and normally I'd soak in deep conditioner before washing to wash out the oil easier. I think this time I might do a modified SMT without the aloe vera and see how that goes.

My only concern is that I don't own a microwave so I'm not sure the easiest way to heat up conditioner. Im thinking of boiling some water in a pot and putting the conditioner and honey mix in a floating bowl (like how they melt chocolate)? Or maybe even putting a bowl in a sink of hot water?

If you have a double boiler that works but use extremely low heat as not to burn onto the pot. If not boil some water and put a heat safe boil into the water carefully and mix all of the ingredients together till sort of liquidy. You know what to do :)

chiapommama
January 31st, 2018, 06:48 PM
What is a good alternative to honey and aloe to use in wintertime ?

Katia_k
February 4th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Has anyone ever used Devacurl in these? I bought a kit and the conditioner doesn't work great for me as a conditioner, so I thought I might boost it with the honey and aloe and try it in a treatment, since it's kind of pointless to use it as a conditioner, and I'll never use it up otherwise...

divinedobbie
February 5th, 2018, 07:15 PM
What is a good alternative to honey and aloe to use in wintertime ?

Why don't you want to use honey and aloe? I don't think it would be an SMT without those ingredients as they are the basis of it. Just try a regular deep conditioner.

Has anyone ever used Devacurl in these? I bought a kit and the conditioner doesn't work great for me as a conditioner, so I thought I might boost it with the honey and aloe and try it in a treatment, since it's kind of pointless to use it as a conditioner, and I'll never use it up otherwise...

Could be worth a try. The only caution I have is to strongly avoid if there's protein in there.

Have done a few SMT's lately and I'm really liking how it adds some weight to my hair.

chiapommama
February 6th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I thought being humectants, that you couldn't use them in wintertime, divine dobbie.

Wendyp
February 8th, 2018, 05:54 AM
Hmm Im thinking that maybe they are two words for the same thing (juice/gel). From my understanding, Aloe vera from the leaf is quite liquid in consistency vs gel-like seen in products. I would give it a shot anyway.

I use a mix of aloe for a “styling gel” you get a leaf cut it open scrap out the contents, put in s spray jar add 10 drops essential oil, dilute so it’s sprayable, spray in hair, braid to sleep in and wholla wake up with awesome waves!! Natural food stores and our groceries have aloe leaves.

MakeupMornings
March 11th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I did my first SMT treatment 3 days ago. I used honey, clear aloe vera gel and the Mane & Tail Conditioner.
I didn't leave it on more than 15 minutes cause I was impatient, but nevertheless the results were suuuuper soft hair!!

Now.. here comes the interesting part.. The day after the SMT treatment I got the flue. I've been in bed since then.
So usually when I get sick the first thing that takes the torn and shows signs of sickness is my hair. It will become extremly dry and matted no matter what I do. I've just assumed that's something you have to deal with when you get ill.

This time around though.. My hair felt amazing every single day after the SMT treatment. I kept it in a braid that I had to redo a couple of times due to being restless fighting off this virus. I did nothing else. No hair oils, no showering. I didn't need to.

The only other thing that might have contributed to my hairs wellbeing could have been my hair vitamins I made sure to take, oh and fish oil pills!!

So I guess if you're starting to feel unwell I highly suggest to go ahead and give your hair some TLC before you'll get knocked out! I love SMT! :heartbeat

Wendyp
March 12th, 2018, 07:05 PM
I did my first SMT treatment 3 days ago. I used honey, clear aloe vera gel and the Mane & Tail Conditioner.
I didn't leave it on more than 15 minutes cause I was impatient, but nevertheless the results were suuuuper soft hair!!

Now.. here comes the interesting part.. The day after the SMT treatment I got the flue. I've been in bed since then.
So usually when I get sick the first thing that takes the torn and shows signs of sickness is my hair. It will become extremly dry and matted no matter what I do. I've just assumed that's something you have to deal with when you get ill.

This time around though.. My hair felt amazing every single day after the SMT treatment. I kept it in a braid that I had to redo a couple of times due to being restless fighting off this virus. I did nothing else. No hair oils, no showering. I didn't need to.

The only other thing that might have contributed to my hairs wellbeing could have been my hair vitamins I made sure to take, oh and fish oil pills!!

So I guess if you're starting to feel unwell I highly suggest to go ahead and give your hair some TLC before you'll get knocked out! I love SMT! :heartbeat

What proportions did you use?

MakeupMornings
March 13th, 2018, 12:14 AM
I used two tablespoons with the conditioner and 1/2 tablespoon honey and 1/2 tablespoon aloe vera gel! That was more than enough for my bsl hair :)

AshtangiPNW
June 5th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Why don't you want to use honey and aloe? I don't think it would be an SMT without those ingredients as they are the basis of it. Just try a regular deep conditioner.

Could be worth a try. The only caution I have is to strongly avoid if there's protein in there.

Have done a few SMT's lately and I'm really liking how it adds some weight to my hair.

Divinedobbie, can you elaborate a bit on your experiences with the protein conditioners? :) Both of the conditioners that Iím using for CO-washing have protein, and I was considering using one for SMT.

Katia_k
June 7th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Has anyone ever had SMT just abruptly stop working? I used to do it, and even if I didn't like the results a day or two after it dried, it always felt nice and silky in the shower. But the last time I did it, my hair came out rough and tangled even while I was rinsing out. I thought maybe because it was summer, but I've done this in the summer before and it's worked just fine. And I don't think I've changed anything about my ingredients. Could like my aloe have gone bad or something? I don't even know... I've abandoned it for now.

TheCurlyMermaid
June 13th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Tried it today, made a big batch, probably enough for 1.5 conditioning sessions. I'll use the rest just on my ends next time if this goes well.

I used aloe vera gel out of my garden (that took a while), some honey and some Cantu color-protecting moisturizing deep conditioner, and eyeballed it as far as the ratios went. I shampooed, warmed up the mixture (12 secs), and soaked my hair in it.
I then covered my hair with a plastic shower/processing cap, put on a heating cap and left it in for 90 minutes.

My hair felt really soft and slick when I was rinsing it out, and now that my hair has dried some it looks very healthy, with a great shine! I had been having real trouble moisturizing my hair recently, and was wondering if I'd have to cut the bleach damage off... This worked brilliantly.

Full disclosure, I added a leave-in after rinsing my hair, and added the smallest watered-down bit of SMT back to my ends. I have 3b/c curls so adding extra product doesn't weigh down my hair, if anything, I need it.

I'll definitely do it again.

samanthaa
July 12th, 2018, 11:21 AM
I bought some aloe vera gel! It's been sooo long (maybe a year) since I've last SMT'd. My hair's been in the pool and will be in the water at the beach this weekend, so it needs a little TLC.

SherylG
July 16th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I'm going to use SMT as soon as I can get the aloe very gel and honey from the store. My hair is much grayer than it was when I first joined here years ago and I'm finding it very much drier, as well. I live about three hours form the nearest town so will have to wait. In the meantime, I use a lot of conditioner and leave some in after washing. It helps a bit but it's still very dry and coarse now.

samanthaa
July 20th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Ahhh I finally did my SMT yesterday and it was lovely! I don't think I realized how dry my hair had gotten after not deep conditioning for...a year.

I used up the last of my Nature's Baby Organics vanilla tangerine conditioner (which does have some protein in it) and used maple syrup in place of honey, as I always do. I really need to start doing these at least biweekly.

ETA: I ended up SMT'ing again on Sunday, which was only three days after my first SMT (yes, yes, I know too much moisture can be a bad thing, but I was just too dang excited; definitely not going to do more than every 1-2 weeks from hereon). I used a conditioner that I am less than thrilled with as a rinse-out, and not surprisingly, it gave me less than thrilling results in the SMT. It felt nice and slippy while putting it in, but it rinsed out without feeling like it did much for my hair. It didn't do nothing, but it didn't do as much as the previous conditioner.

OK, so I guess my plan of using up this bottle via SMT is not going to work. I'm going to use it to shave my legs lol

LittleMac
August 8th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Ok so, never in my life have I done a deep conditioning treatment, so I'm pretty excited to try this for my first time.
I have always preferred all natural ingredients, so I was wondering if there were any conditioners you guys recommend for this with ingredients whose names I'd recognize? x)
I looked over the recommended list but there's so many and I don't know which ones are more natural.

lakhesis
August 14th, 2018, 01:50 PM
If anyone is wondering, it works for me with home made flaxseed gel instead of aloe vera gel too :)

however I also use glycerin instead of honey - but the texture is similar, so I am guessing flaxseed would work with honey too

Thorskin
August 25th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Anyone know of a good Aloe Vera Gel to get in the UK as the ones recommended in the first thread can only be bought in the US, apart from JASON. Is the Holland and Barret one or Aloe Pura from Amazon good or should I get the JASON one?

Thorskin
August 25th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Went out and bought a Aloe Leaf instead. Going to try this tonight.
Any way to find out if my conditioner is low protein? It is Noughy To the Rescue.

daisy rei
August 27th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I just watched Haartraum's Youtube video where she uses a slight variation of this method! I was trying to think of somewhere to buy aloe gel in liquid form here.....I'm having difficulty finding anything that doesn't look sketchy online.

Well I guess now this means I'm going to be combing through 2,300+ posts to see what is most recommended! :lol:

priinnz
August 27th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Anyone know of a good Aloe Vera Gel to get in the UK as the ones recommended in the first thread can only be bought in the US, apart from JASON. Is the Holland and Barret one or Aloe Pura from Amazon good or should I get the JASON one?

You can try Patanjali Aloe Vera gelfrom Asian/ indian grocery store

AshtangiPNW
August 28th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I just watched Haartraum's Youtube video where she uses a slight variation of this method! I was trying to think of somewhere to buy aloe gel in liquid form here.....I'm having difficulty finding anything that doesn't look sketchy online.

Well I guess now this means I'm going to be combing through 2,300+ posts to see what is most recommended! :lol:

Hi pathetic :waving: I've tried aloe leaf powder, the liquid aloe, and aloe gel, based on what I have on hand. I haven't really noticed a considerable difference in the effect. :) Any form of pure aloe or a combination seemed to work just fine for me....

samanthaa
August 30th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I like the aloe vera gel from Mountain Rose Herbs, if you're looking to order online. It's food grade.

Natalia_A00
October 1st, 2018, 03:39 PM
Do aloe vera gels contain a lot of protein? My hair is low porosity and doesn't tolerate protein very well at all

JennGalt
October 1st, 2018, 04:26 PM
Do aloe vera gels contain a lot of protein? My hair is low porosity and doesn't tolerate protein very well at all

I don’t think it has any protein in it at all. If you’re still worried, try it on a small lock of hair that you can easily hide if you don’t like the effect.

Zesty
October 1st, 2018, 04:41 PM

It's used as a humectant (attracts moisture). But your question made me curious, and a quick search led me to this: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/the-science-of-aloe-vera-gel

Katia_k
October 3rd, 2018, 03:42 PM
Ok so, never in my life have I done a deep conditioning treatment, so I'm pretty excited to try this for my first time.
I have always preferred all natural ingredients, so I was wondering if there were any conditioners you guys recommend for this with ingredients whose names I'd recognize? x)
I looked over the recommended list but there's so many and I don't know which ones are more natural.

I've used Darcy's botanicals, and liked that quite a bit. It's not totally natural but it's nice, and comes a lot closer than some.

If you want to go super super natural you could try the banana. Just remember to use baby food or blend the heck out of it, or you'll get chunks and there will be banana in your hair forever.

SnailFarts
October 10th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Ok I have to admit I was a skeptic. But wow! I didn't realize how dry my hair had gotten until it wasn't any more! My hair is baby soft now.
I eyeballed the measurements, and used a pantene conditioner, some cheap honey, and aloe from my plant. I put it on roots to ends and left it on for almost an hour. I didn't microwave the honey at all, and I actually did get some lightening. I'm glad I was blonde to start with.

My bangs/baby hairs were a bit greasy by the next evening, so next time I do an SMT, I'll just use a tiny bit of shampoo on my hairline afterwards. My hair also ended up a bit staticy, so next time I'll just finish my ends with some oil.

I will definitely be adding this to my routine though. I'm not sure my hair has ever been softer.

ArabellaRose
October 23rd, 2018, 02:25 PM
Oh. My. Goodness.

These are the results I've been looking for. I did my first ever SMT today and I'm an official convert. I used my Elvive Dream Lengths conditioning mask, clear aloe Vera gel and swapped out the honey with maple syrup (partly out of convenience as I already had some in the cupboard).

My hair feels so beautiful I could weep with joy! And so shiny! Plus it smells yummy.

Question: has anyone had any luck with adding essential oils to the mix? Did it make any difference? I've got some rosemary, chamomile and cedar wood oils on their way to me and I'd wondered if those could be added.

Natalia_A00
March 3rd, 2019, 09:50 AM
I just ordered a VO5 conditioner (no cones) to try this method!

Natalia_A00
March 5th, 2019, 01:51 AM
Serious question though, does this lighten the hair? You know, because of the honey. I don't want lighter hair tbh. Thank you!

Ligeia Noire
March 5th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Serious question though, does this lighten the hair? You know, because of the honey. I don't want lighter hair tbh. Thank you!

No, if you heat the honey to get rid of the peroxide for ten seconds first. Don't let it boil though, you want to keep the good stuff.
I think, even if you didn't heat it, it is such a small quantity, that you would probably need to do it every day, in order to have some lightning effect. I do it once every two months or so...

Natalia_A00
March 5th, 2019, 04:19 PM
No, if you heat the honey to get rid of the peroxide for ten seconds first. Don't let it boil though, you want to keep the good stuff.
I think, even if you didn't heat it, it is such a small quantity, that you would probably need to do it every day, in order to have some lightning effect. I do it once every two months or so...

Oh, makes sense! Thank you :)

SwanFeathers
April 4th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Can this be warmed in a little crock pot like henna?

SwanFeathers
April 4th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Ursulaís Mega-Moisturizing Oil-SMT-Aloe Wash

The summer AC has been very drying on my hair. This routine for washing has worked very well in getting my hair through it. I suggested it to Snowy, and it seems to do her good, as well, although she's using jojoba instead of coconut oil, and plain SKR instead of SMT. I'll sometimes do the plain SKR, as well. It depends on my mood.

First, at night, I oil my hair heavily. Coconut oil, and lots of it. I add more and more, as much as my hair will take. Then I braid in two braids, and apply castor oil to the braidsí tassels.

Sleep well.

In the morning, I mix up a batch of Snowyís Deep Moisture treatment, using VO5 Sunkissed Raspberry or Tangerine Tickle. Wet down hair with water in the shower, and massage the SMT through the hair. Wrap in a bun, cover with a plastic bag and towel. Let the mess soak for 30 minutes to an hour.

Rinse well. I rinse in the shower, combing as I go. I part my hair, and comb and rinse each half for about a minute each, followed by about a minute of rinsing and massaging my scalp.

Finally, I blot my hair with a microfiber towel. Then I take 1 to 2 tablespoons of aloe gel, and apply to each half of my hair, combing it through.

Sometimes, I will oil and braid in the morning, and finish the wash routine at night. Oiled braids look sleek for daytime wear. Iíll then flip my hair, loose, up over my pillow to air dry at night. When I wake in the morning, amazing curly waves.

Anyone used this lately?

neko_kawaii
April 4th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Can this be warmed in a little crock pot like henna?

I can’t think if any reasons not to.

Long ago I stopped adding honey to my mix, as the cheap stuff is not always actually honey, and it added an extra step of heating the honey so it would mix in well. Still loving my condish and aloe DT!

hollygolightly
April 4th, 2019, 07:29 PM
Anyone used this lately?

I do! First I use castor oil on my scalp and then apply whatever oil I have in my bathroom in the rest of my hair. I let it sit overnight. Then I wet my hair, shampoo my scalp and then I apply SMT through my oiled hair and let it sit for about 15-30 min and I rinse it out. I prefer shampooing my hair before doing SMT because I use a really coney serum. It works perfectly everytime I wash. I want to see if I can use SMT as a commercial hair mask (for 3 minutes), I know leaving it for longer will give me the full benefits but sometimes I have to wash my hair really quickly

Larke
April 24th, 2019, 10:39 PM
I need some help troubleshooting...

I used SMT a little over a week ago, kept it in for about an hour-and-a-half, then washed it out. I had little white flecks after rinsing, but they disappeared once my hair dried, so that's not too much of an issue - probably just some junk in the aloe I used. More of an issue is the fact that it actually took three showers to get the last of the treatment out of my hair. And even more of an issue is that I noticed almost no change in the moisture of my hair (ends specifically), even after this treatment and bunning my hair wet to get the most moisture possible. It's still dry, coarse, tangly, and with no stretch to it at all (though split ends are minimal).

Is this something I have to repeat a lot before I get some improvement? If so, any tips on how to rinse out more successfully? I'm a little hesitant to try this again if I can't get all of it out of my hair first time around.

And for some background info, my ends do have a little chlorine damage from too much swimming last year, though I don't swim anymore. Every time I wash, I condition the length before I shampoo the scalp, and I use argan oil on the ends regularly (though I haven't actually noticed it doing anything good - I just use it because apparently I'm supposed to and I don't think it does any harm). Thanks for any help!

Begemot
April 24th, 2019, 11:35 PM
Could it be that your hair doesn't like aloe and/or honey, Larke? I think 1.5 h conditioning might be too long for fine, medium thickness hair since your hair starts to dry in that time and the treatment could stick in your hair. It could be that SMT just isn't your cup of tea and you should look for a different treatment, there's lots of good ones out there :)

Pearly~91
April 25th, 2019, 06:13 PM
I need some help troubleshooting...

I used SMT a little over a week ago, kept it in for about an hour-and-a-half, then washed it out. I had little white flecks after rinsing, but they disappeared once my hair dried, so that's not too much of an issue - probably just some junk in the aloe I used. More of an issue is the fact that it actually took three showers to get the last of the treatment out of my hair. And even more of an issue is that I noticed almost no change in the moisture of my hair (ends specifically), even after this treatment and bunning my hair wet to get the most moisture possible. It's still dry, coarse, tangly, and with no stretch to it at all (though split ends are minimal).

Is this something I have to repeat a lot before I get some improvement? If so, any tips on how to rinse out more successfully? I'm a little hesitant to try this again if I can't get all of it out of my hair first time around.

And for some background info, my ends do have a little chlorine damage from too much swimming last year, though I don't swim anymore. Every time I wash, I condition the length before I shampoo the scalp, and I use argan oil on the ends regularly (though I haven't actually noticed it doing anything good - I just use it because apparently I'm supposed to and I don't think it does any harm). Thanks for any help!

The trouble with rinsing could be something to do with the conditioner you used. Some conditioners do weird things when you add the honey and aloe. Strange chemical reactions can cause clumps or crystallized honey or other strange problems.

You should notice improved moisture right away when you use this treatment.

I would suggest trying it with a different conditioner and seeing if you have better results.

Larke
April 25th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Could it be that your hair doesn't like aloe and/or honey, Larke? I think 1.5 h conditioning might be too long for fine, medium thickness hair since your hair starts to dry in that time and the treatment could stick in your hair. It could be that SMT just isn't your cup of tea and you should look for a different treatment, there's lots of good ones out there :)

I didn't know hair could dislike aloe/honey... I feel so cheated... :lol: But I might try it for a shorter time and see if that helps, so thanks for the feedback. :D

The trouble with rinsing could be something to do with the conditioner you used. Some conditioners do weird things when you add the honey and aloe. Strange chemical reactions can cause clumps or crystallized honey or other strange problems.

You should notice improved moisture right away when you use this treatment.

I would suggest trying it with a different conditioner and seeing if you have better results.

Thanks! Any general suggestions about what to look for in a good conditioner, besides that list on the very first thread post? I used Maui Moisture Shea Butter Conditioner, but my conditioner collections has grown swiftly over the past few months, so I have a lot of alternatives to try.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 01:25 AM
I didn't know hair could dislike aloe/honey... I feel so cheated... :lol: But I might try it for a shorter time and see if that helps, so thanks for the feedback. :D

:lol: No problem! You could try eliminating one from the treatment and see how your hair feels like. Pick your favorite conditioner and add either honey or aloe.

AshtangiPNW
April 26th, 2019, 10:21 AM

Thanks! Any general suggestions about what to look for in a good conditioner, besides that list on the very first thread post? I used Maui Moisture Shea Butter Conditioner, but my conditioner collections has grown swiftly over the past few months, so I have a lot of alternatives to try.

Hm, did you cover the SMT with some sort of cap during that time? Are you living in a pretty dry climate by chance? I've definitely noticed that the SMT doesn't work as well in arid climates due to the aloe and honey. My best SMT results have been with the cheapest conditioner (just a $1 bottle of V05). I hope it ends up working out for you!

Larke
April 26th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Hm, did you cover the SMT with some sort of cap during that time? Are you living in a pretty dry climate by chance? I've definitely noticed that the SMT doesn't work as well in arid climates due to the aloe and honey. My best SMT results have been with the cheapest conditioner (just a $1 bottle of V05). I hope it ends up working out for you!

Yeah, I used a shower cap and then a damp towel over that for whatever wasn't covered by the cap. It didn't feel dry at all when I was getting ready to wash it off, it just generally didn't want to go away once I did start washing. It's a bit of an issue for me with conditioners in general. They tend to not wash out well. I think the fact that this is a specific conditioner treatment just made it more noticeable.

Zesty
June 1st, 2019, 06:35 PM
I'm planning on doing my first SMT in a long while tomorrow. We bought molasses for a recipe and I'm curious to try it as a substitute for honey.

CosmoCat
June 6th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Does it matter if it’s an aloe vera gel or oil? I’m having a hard time finding pure aloe in the stores, but I’m going to buy online and see both options. Thank you.

Edit: I have since read that truly pure aloe doesn’t exist...outside of from the plant. Although, I still wonder about gel vs oil. Most of what I find is gel, but I see an option of “oil”.....either okay?

JennGalt
June 9th, 2019, 05:21 AM
I would use the gel over the oil, but research the brand first. The oil is probably just an infusion of aloe and likely doesn’t contain much; any benefit to your hair would likely come mostly from the oil, which doesn’t have quite the same effect on hair as aloe. Some gels are made from aloe powder which can be cut with so many other things there’s little aloe in the resulting product. Not sure where you’re from, but you might wanna check the first post of the thread to see if any of the aloe products reported to work well are available in your area. If not, there are some threads about aloe should be easy to find through a site's search function should you need to seek other recommendations.

CosmoCat
June 9th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Thank you, JennGalt.

GRU
June 12th, 2019, 12:37 AM
Does it matter if it’s an aloe vera gel or oil? I’m having a hard time finding pure aloe in the stores, but I’m going to buy online and see both options. Thank you.

Edit: I have since read that truly pure aloe doesn’t exist...outside of from the plant. Although, I still wonder about gel vs oil. Most of what I find is gel, but I see an option of “oil”.....either okay?

I have always used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/fruit-of-the-earth-aloe-vera-100-gel-crystal-clear/ID=prod6143110-product). Not sure if you're in the USA or not, but it's readily available at Walmart and various drugstores, plus online. The number one ingredient is aloe vera gel, and it doesn't have added colors or lidocaine or other weird ingredients in it -- just aloe and preservatives.

RubberDucky
June 13th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I wanted to try the SMT too, but I used it with a slight modification since I'm sick as a dog and didn't want to sit with a drippy treatment on my head. So I made it into a co-wash.

Mixed honey and aloe with some water in a bottle, then added my usual co-wash condish. After a few shakes it turned into an ugly lumpy mess. So I added some more water and shook the living daylights out of the bottle which resulted in the perfect creamy mix. Put it on my head, scrubbed, then let it sit under a shower cap while I did other showerly things. Scrubbed some more, combed it through, washed everything out.

Well, the jury is still out on this one. My hair is definitely curlier but moisture and shine? Not so much. Let's see how it looks tomorrow. I won't give up though, there are multiple ways to try this: amount and number of ingredients, co-wash or treatment, etc.

LadyTheta
June 14th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Just be wise that some of the "pure aloe vera gel" products listed/suggested in the original post --- from 2008 --- have by now been adulterated/changed/ found to not be as pure as represented by product manufacturer/s. For example, the big-bargain Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel was found to not contain aloe vera.
From the original post, 2008:

Snowymoon's Original Post

Snowy's Deep Moisture Treatment

I have used my own moisture treatment twice with GREAT results. Hair is still wet, but very happy!!!

Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

Place in a cup and warm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds--just until warm. Wash hair and squeeze out excess, blot dry, leave in under heat cap, warm towels or shower cap, what have you, for an hour or so. Rinse well. Finish (add leave-in if you do so) and style as usual Wah-la!!! Extreme Moistness. This is great after protein treatments!!! WOOT!!!"

"Independently, ConsumerLab.com said it had Fruit of the Earth brand Aloe Vera 100% Gel tested using nuclear magnetic resonance and found no evidence of aloe, while a competing brand, Aubrey Organics, did contain the markers that indicate aloe. ConsumerLab said it tested a dozen aloe products, including pills and juices, and just half the items appeared to meet the claims on their labels."

Mariekeeee14
August 28th, 2019, 08:39 AM
I used 4 parts Alterra Pomegranate Aloe Vera conditioner, 1 part Aloe Pura Aloe Vera gel and 1 part castor oil last week.

No white film or any other problems to report! These work :joy:

The conditioner was to my liking, nice and moisturizing. The aloe vera gel has additives but again, no problems to report. I used castor oil instead of honey because I'm already going blonder as a redhead, and I wanna stretch that process as long as I can so a darkening agent instead of a lightening one :D

BerrySara
August 29th, 2019, 10:30 AM
I did my first SMT yesterday and I loved it!

I have used honey mixed with a deep conditioner in the past before and it definitely helps with frizz, but this combo was something new and it did make a difference!

I used 2 part DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture, 2 part SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque (so 4 part conditioner), 1 part Honey and 1 part freshly made aloe vera gel. Warmed it up, added to hair, covered with shower cap and then I applied heat for a few minutes. Then wrapped an additional towel over it and left it in for an hour.

When I washed it out, my hair felt b.u.t.t.e.r.y soft. Amazing!

Mariekeeee14
September 19th, 2019, 12:05 PM
When I washed it out, my hair felt b.u.t.t.e.r.y soft. Amazing!

Buttery soft is exactly the right expression! I did one again today with Alverde Avocado Shea conditioner, aloe vera gel and castor oil, and the buttery goodness started right after I started rinsing. Loved the feeling!

Arciela
September 26th, 2019, 09:36 AM
I was going to do a deep conditioning treatment today and forgot about SMT. I used to do SMT with yes to carrots condtioner and sadly they changed the formula. Now that condtioner makes my hair dry. I'll have to see into finding a similar one.

FaerieToast
September 26th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Huh... I don't use conditioner on my hair (allergies mostly), but I'm interested in keeping this treatment in mind in case I need it someday, or just want to experiment. Buttery soft hair sounds so pleasant!

Is there something else one could mix in with the honey and aloe vera juice to get a similar softening effect, like shea butter, apple cider vinegar, or something else? I noticed shea butter was in the reported to work section, but I wasn't sure if it was in-addition-to-conditioner or a replacement item.

BerrySara
September 26th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Huh... I don't use conditioner on my hair (allergies mostly), but I'm interested in keeping this treatment in mind in case I need it someday, or just want to experiment. Buttery soft hair sounds so pleasant!

Is there something else one could mix in with the honey and aloe vera juice to get a similar softening effect, like shea butter, apple cider vinegar, or something else? I noticed shea butter was in the reported to work section, but I wasn't sure if it was in-addition-to-conditioner or a replacement item.

I have actually just recently done a few treatments with aloe and honey that did not include conditioner.

Here is what I did just last night;
2 Tbsp of Shea butter melted (or Mango butter or Cacao butter)
2 Tbsp of coconut oil (If your hair dislikes coconut oil, can sub with avocado oil or olive oil or other oil)
1 tsp of Jojoba oil (or any oils that you prefer)
1 tsp of sweet almond oil

Whipped together, then cooled (to solidy).
Then mixed in the aloe and honey.

I will say I wouldn't claim it to be same as SMT but it did make my hair incredibly soft. I say this because for me, SMT does not feel too heavy and I can use it as a DC treatment after washing my hair. However, replacing the conditioner with butters and oils makes it quite a heavy treatment at least for my hair. So when I do this I definitely have to do it as a pre-poo to wash it out properly. But my hair does feel amazing after a butter treatment like this combined with aloe and honey.

FaerieToast
September 27th, 2019, 09:11 AM
I have actually just recently done a few treatments with aloe and honey that did not include conditioner.

Here is what I did just last night;
2 Tbsp of Shea butter melted (or Mango butter or Cacao butter)
2 Tbsp of coconut oil (If your hair dislikes coconut oil, can sub with avocado oil or olive oil or other oil)
1 tsp of Jojoba oil (or any oils that you prefer)
1 tsp of sweet almond oil

Whipped together, then cooled (to solidy).
Then mixed in the aloe and honey.

I will say I wouldn't claim it to be same as SMT but it did make my hair incredibly soft. I say this because for me, SMT does not feel too heavy and I can use it as a DC treatment after washing my hair. However, replacing the conditioner with butters and oils makes it quite a heavy treatment at least for my hair. So when I do this I definitely have to do it as a pre-poo to wash it out properly. But my hair does feel amazing after a butter treatment like this combined with aloe and honey.

Oh that sounds quite wonderful! I'll give it a try next washday with the oils I have available at home, and work from there to see what my hair likes.

FallingDarkness
October 23rd, 2019, 03:02 PM
Any recommendation on how often we should use this?

Mariekeeee14
October 24th, 2019, 10:06 AM
You can choose I guess, based on what your hair needs! You can do it every wash (though that sounds like a hassle), or weekly or every fortnight or every month! Jus experiment and see how your hair responds.

For my hair a SMT does not weigh it down so for a period of time I did it weekly.

Dixie Derelict
October 25th, 2019, 06:45 AM
An SMT is often my go to when my hair just feels'blah'and I want to do SOMETHING, but I'm not sure what. More often than not, it fills the bill!

BerrySara
October 25th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Sorry this is unrelated to the question FallingDarkness....but I just had to comment on your hair! Its absolutely stunning!! :thudpile:

I don't think you can go wrong with how often as long as your hair likes all the moisture. For some people, balancing moisture and protein works best but for me my hair is sensitive to protein but loves moisturizing treatments. So for me, doing SMT every wash is just fine.

FallingDarkness
November 18th, 2019, 04:55 PM
I no longer have access to a microwave...does this stuff still work if it's not warmed up?

Mariekeeee14
November 19th, 2019, 07:28 AM
I no longer have access to a microwave...does this stuff still work if it's not warmed up?

You can also warm it up on the stove with a double boiler

FallingDarkness
November 20th, 2019, 11:43 PM
That seems so scary tho lol
Is it just not effective cold then? I'll risk it for the biscuit if this is my best option!

Mariekeeee14
November 21st, 2019, 01:11 AM
A double boiler is a very gentle way of warming stuff up though. I don't know if it is effective without heat. Just try and you can always wash it out if it doesn't work :)

enting
November 21st, 2019, 05:24 AM
Is the honey a problem if it's not warmed up first? I read on the forum that in some cases raw honey can bleach hair.

ExpectoPatronum
November 24th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Doing this right now. My hair is experiencing protein overload so I'm doing this in an attempt to set things right.

I used 4 tablespoons of Love Beauty and Planet smoothing conditioner with 1 tablespoon each aloe very gel and honey.

I did notice curdling as I was mixing it. Some liquid seemed to separate from the mixture. Whisking it vigorously with a fork got it to come back together somewhat. I don't think I'd use this conditioner with this treatment again. I'm going to try and leave it for two hours, if not longer. I will report back with my results! I do expect to have to do this treatment a few times to take care of my protein problem, though.

Oh, I also wet my hair before applying. I did not wash it though.

ExpectoPatronum
November 24th, 2019, 04:44 PM
My hair isn't completely dry yet, but it's dry enough that I can see some results.

I left the SMT on for almost two hours. I had covered it with a plastic bag, covered with a towel to trap in more heat. I washed with my usual Shea Moisture shampoo bar, followed by an acidic rinse. I conditioned my hair twice with Love, Beauty Planet smoothing. I normally follow a WCC routine, though I've been using a strengthening conditioner as the second C, which is what led to my protein issues. For styling, I used Jessicurl Aloeba as a leave-in conditioner and scrunched in 4 drops of my oil blend (rose hip, jojoba, and olive oils with lavender essential oil for scent).

My hair felt very soft and smooth as I was rinsing the SMT out and felt "normal" while I went out the rest of my routine. Now that it's dried somewhat, I'm noticing some more shrinkage than I had previously, which is a good sign that my hair is adequately moisturized. My ends no longer feel crunchy which is also a good sign. They don't feel silky smooth yet but I imagine they will after another round or two of SMTs.

Overall, I'm very happy with my results and I feel like I'm on the right path towards fixing the protein overload I'm experiencing.

Arciela
December 3rd, 2019, 11:42 PM
I tried this with biolage hydrasource conditioner today and it made my hair extremely shiny. Nothing beats SMT I swear :flower:

spirals
December 4th, 2019, 12:05 AM
I haven't done it in YEARS. It's good to be reminded this exists. Now if only I could get a day off to do this beauty stuff...

skydancer7
December 5th, 2019, 10:03 PM
I just tried this with Giovanni 50/50. It got all curdled... I microwaved it all for like 10 seconds and the aloe gel started popping. Maybe that's why? Anyway hopefully it rinses out okay, we shall see :D

lakhesis
December 8th, 2019, 01:31 PM
I haven't done it in YEARS. It's good to be reminded this exists. Now if only I could get a day off to do this beauty stuff...
I prepare lot of the mix at once - I had 1kg container from aloe vera gel that I completely used up for SMT, so I started preparing full kilo of the mask everytime I run out :D definitely saves time and it lasts more than a month.

Arciela
December 9th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Going to do this again over night with biolage conditioner :D I accidentally did a protein overload and now my hair is in need of moisture.

FrayedFire
December 14th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Okay, so I've read this whole thread (still no real great answers on henna, but I reckon it's basically just a gloss at that point and have tried it a dew times with no ill effects.) and done several treatments.

Maui Moisture is silicone free and uses aloe juice so I figured if I just used that and honey it would be a good idea. I finally got to buy some and it seems to work decently well, unfortunately the scent I chose is not to DBF's tastes. I'm not a huge fan either so I'm going to try exchanging it for a different one.

I'm not sure how I feel about the results, it's almost too clean but I can experiment with oils and ratios and dry vs wet hair to get something I'm happy with.

I kind of want to try wetting my hair with a tea, putting on the SMT, rinsing it out with the tea, and then oiling. (I always want to just drink the tea - how dilute are tea rinses supposed to be, anyway?)

Soj
December 18th, 2019, 11:46 AM
A quick note to everyone asking if this can hurt your hair.

Yes. It can. If you live in a dry area (I live in a full-on desert) the honey acts as a humectant. This is great if you live where there is moisture in the air, but when there is more moisture in your hair than there is in the air, the honey will suck the moisture right out of your hair and make it frizzy at best and brittle at worst.

Aloe vera is also a humectant but it is supposedly a "film forming" humectant that will "seal" moisture into your hair. All I can say is the one time I used aloe vera gel it also crisped my hair.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea or the recipe - as long as you live somewhere where there is more moisture in the air than there is in your hair. Keep in mind, however, that in this modern era of near-ubiquitous air conditioning, "inside" air in both summer and winter (heating also sucks the moisture out of the air) is much dryer than "outdoor" air even if you live in an area of normal humidity. If you are spending more time inside than out, it could still be a problem. Newer construction is also more air-tight than older construction so that may also compound the problem.

So if this makes your hair frizzy that's most likely why.

shelomit
December 18th, 2019, 02:25 PM
A quick note to everyone asking if this can hurt your hair.

Yes. It can. If you live in a dry area (I live in a full-on desert) the honey acts as a humectant. This is great if you live where there is moisture in the air, but when there is more moisture in your hair than there is in the air, the honey will suck the moisture right out of your hair and make it frizzy at best and brittle at worst.

Aloe vera is also a humectant but it is supposedly a "film forming" humectant that will "seal" moisture into your hair. All I can say is the one time I used aloe vera gel it also crisped my hair.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea or the recipe - as long as you live somewhere where there is more moisture in the air than there is in your hair. Keep in mind, however, that in this modern era of near-ubiquitous air conditioning, "inside" air in both summer and winter (heating also sucks the moisture out of the air) is much dryer than "outdoor" air even if you live in an area of normal humidity. If you are spending more time inside than out, it could still be a problem. Newer construction is also more air-tight than older construction so that may also compound the problem.

So if this makes your hair frizzy that's most likely why.

Howdy, fellow desert-dweller!

I've really been struggling to re-moisturize my hair after a period of neglect and recently tried out a tip that a local longhair gave me. My friend had said he had success using humectants if he put them in for a limited amount of time, staying in the steamy bathroom, and rinsing it extremely thoroughly. I unexpectedly had our ordinarily very busy single bathroom to myself this Monday, so I gave this method a go using a modified SMT (glycerin instead of aloe vera, since that was what I had on hand). I let the room steam up as much as I could with the fan off before wetting down my hair and putting on the goop, and was able to leave it on for about forty minutes before I went bored out of my mind without being able to bring a book or my computer into the steam--then rinsed the bejeezus out of everything. Admittedly it's only been about two and a half days since rinse-out, but my hair is definitely softer than pre-treatment and I haven't seen any adverse effect so far. Ordinarily I'm very inclined to frizz and I haven't had trouble with it today or yesterday.

Humidity is 14% here currently.

shelomit
December 18th, 2019, 02:28 PM
My friend had said he had success using humectants if he put them in for a limited amount of time, staying in the steamy bathroom, and rinsing it extremely thoroughly.

Whoops, forgot to mention that he also said he oils his hair right after rinsing, which I wouldn't typically do (my hair isn't great at absorbing oils) but also tried as part of this experiment. I guess the logic is that you let the humectants work their magic as they are supposed to in a humid environment, even if fairly briefly, then get them back out of your hair and seal in whatever moisture you got from the treatment--? So far I'm pleased with the results.

Soj
December 19th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Whoops, forgot to mention that he also said he oils his hair right after rinsing, which I wouldn't typically do (my hair isn't great at absorbing oils) but also tried as part of this experiment. I guess the logic is that you let the humectants work their magic as they are supposed to in a humid environment, even if fairly briefly, then get them back out of your hair and seal in whatever moisture you got from the treatment--? So far I'm pleased with the results.

I can't oil = at least not and walk around in public. My hair either doesn't absorb any oil I've ever tried AT ALL, or it is so uber fine that any amount of oil just leaves it bedraggled. I do use hemp oil (that you can get at the grocery, not CBD type oil but regular culinary hemp seed oil) as a sealer when I'm not going anywhere, or did prior to finding the Not Your Mother's Naturals Tahitian Gardenia detangler (the only product I've EVER been able to leave in my hair without it looking greasy and bedraggled). I actually seem to get a much better effect from the detangler AND it leaves my hair looking great so - now I only occasionally oil my scalp, and that mostly because the amla rinses I've been doing leave my scalp really really dry. The hemp oil is the least greasy-ifying oil I've ever used and it still weighs my hair down. It is definitely NOT a walkin'-around treatment for my hair.

But back to this issue of humectants in the desert. I'm not sure of what the current ambient humidity is at the moment, but I can say that in all the time I've lived here, my interior bathroom with no windows and no fan has NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER "steamed up". Ever. I'm serious. Never ever. And I take long hot showers with the door closed, used to be until I ran out of hot water but as I've gotten more and more decrepit I can't actually stand in the shower that long any more LOL! So my guess is the humidity here is AT LEAST as low as wherever you are, and probably lower. I have to run a humidifier or my eyes get so dry I have to resist the impulse to just give up and claw them out.

L'Oreal made an ANTI humectant that did great things for my hair but I apparently got the last bottle that was ever available. It had already been discontinued when I bought it, and I only bought it because I THOUGHT it said "humectant". Humidity is GREAT for my hair, too bad I live in a desert now. I didn't know now then what I know now about humectants so I guess its just as well I ended up with an anti-humectant, but I never did get why it worked for me when it was the opposite of what I was looking for, until fairly recently.

I typically have to rinse anything I put in my hair out just because it is so fine nearly everything weighs it down and makes it stringy. Some hair masques that are intended to be leave-ins I have tried just rinsing MOSTLY out, but if they have any humectants in them at all it doesn't matter how thoroughly I rinse them out, my hair is either not improved at all or it gets even crunchier. Coconut oil had a moisturizing effect on my hair - my hair looked GREAT when I was using the SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus line - but while my hair loves coconut oil, it has declared war on my scalp. I got awful painful cysts if I use any product containing any significant amount of coconut in it on a regular basis. I can dilute it down with other shampoos/conditioners to cut the coconut content, but then there's not enough concentration of the coconut oil to help my hair much.

So that tactic - steaming up the bathroom while applying humectants and then rinsing them out - doesn't work for me because I can't work up enough steam to matter. It's just too dry here. It's not a big bathroom either. But probably worth a try for anyone living somewhere not quite so dry. I got a face steamer at o to try to use to steam my hair but the steam comes out so hot it cooks my hair. I cannot imagine using one of those on your actual face given what it did to my hair!

I'm guessing the detangler works because of the mango butter content in it. That seems to work ALMOST as well as coconut oil in my hair and it seems to at least have a truce with my scalp. I'm guessing it is acting as a sealant, but seems to be lightweight enough (at least in that detangler) that it doesn't weigh my hair down the way absolutely every other leave-in product I've ever tried does. I'm guessing, because that is the only ingredient in it that doesn't appear in any product I've ever used before.

shelomit
December 19th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I can't oil = at least not and walk around in public. My hair either doesn't absorb any oil I've ever tried AT ALL, or it is so uber fine that any amount of oil just leaves it bedraggled. I do use hemp oil (that you can get at the grocery, not CBD type oil but regular culinary hemp seed oil) as a sealer when I'm not going anywhere, or did prior to finding the Not Your Mother's Naturals Tahitian Gardenia detangler (the only product I've EVER been able to leave in my hair without it looking greasy and bedraggled). I actually seem to get a much better effect from the detangler AND it leaves my hair looking great so - now I only occasionally oil my scalp, and that mostly because the amla rinses I've been doing leave my scalp really really dry. The hemp oil is the least greasy-ifying oil I've ever used and it still weighs my hair down. It is definitely NOT a walkin'-around treatment for my hair.

But back to this issue of humectants in the desert. I'm not sure of what the current ambient humidity is at the moment, but I can say that in all the time I've lived here, my interior bathroom with no windows and no fan has NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER "steamed up". Ever. I'm serious. Never ever. And I take long hot showers with the door closed, used to be until I ran out of hot water but as I've gotten more and more decrepit I can't actually stand in the shower that long any more LOL! So my guess is the humidity here is AT LEAST as low as wherever you are, and probably lower. I have to run a humidifier or my eyes get so dry I have to resist the impulse to just give up and claw them out.

L'Oreal made an ANTI humectant that did great things for my hair but I apparently got the last bottle that was ever available. It had already been discontinued when I bought it, and I only bought it because I THOUGHT it said "humectant". Humidity is GREAT for my hair, too bad I live in a desert now. I didn't know now then what I know now about humectants so I guess its just as well I ended up with an anti-humectant, but I never did get why it worked for me when it was the opposite of what I was looking for, until fairly recently.

I typically have to rinse anything I put in my hair out just because it is so fine nearly everything weighs it down and makes it stringy. Some hair masques that are intended to be leave-ins I have tried just rinsing MOSTLY out, but if they have any humectants in them at all it doesn't matter how thoroughly I rinse them out, my hair is either not improved at all or it gets even crunchier. Coconut oil had a moisturizing effect on my hair - my hair looked GREAT when I was using the SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus line - but while my hair loves coconut oil, it has declared war on my scalp. I got awful painful cysts if I use any product containing any significant amount of coconut in it on a regular basis. I can dilute it down with other shampoos/conditioners to cut the coconut content, but then there's not enough concentration of the coconut oil to help my hair much.

So that tactic - steaming up the bathroom while applying humectants and then rinsing them out - doesn't work for me because I can't work up enough steam to matter. It's just too dry here. It's not a big bathroom either. But probably worth a try for anyone living somewhere not quite so dry. I got a face steamer at o to try to use to steam my hair but the steam comes out so hot it cooks my hair. I cannot imagine using one of those on your actual face given what it did to my hair!

I'm guessing the detangler works because of the mango butter content in it. That seems to work ALMOST as well as coconut oil in my hair and it seems to at least have a truce with my scalp. I'm guessing it is acting as a sealant, but seems to be lightweight enough (at least in that detangler) that it doesn't weigh my hair down the way absolutely every other leave-in product I've ever tried does. I'm guessing, because that is the only ingredient in it that doesn't appear in any product I've ever used before.

Sorry to hear that this method would not work well for you. 11% humidity here today and my hair is still holding up very well. We have a tiny bathroom (my dad literally could not fit into it when he visited!) with a nice tight door, so I'm certain that helps.

I can't claim to have seen a hair product actually marketed as "anti-humectant," but there are plenty that include anti-humectant ingredients: oils, of course, waxes, shea butter, silicones, esters, whatever. So that may explain why the mango butter product detangler works especially well for you.

Could I ask (roughly) where you live now? I'm wondering in particular if you're also at high altitude. Worse in the winter or the summer? I grew up in the desert and later moved to more humid climes and know how rough that transition was for me--grateful to be back in the Southwest now. Even despite being acclimated, I still get bad health effects when the humidity dips past about 7-10%--nosebleeds, skin sloughing off, all of that. 50-60% is considered the "healthy" range. If it's so gol-darned dry that you can't steam up a small bathroom year-round, I'm surprised you aren't suffering from more symptoms beyond the itchy eyes! But there's very few places on earth that stay that dry year-round.

neko_kawaii
December 19th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Interesting about the bathroom steam. our bathroom only steams up if it is cold, but i know it gets humid in there regardless of steamy glass. We don't have a vent (kitchen or bathroom), and started using a portable dehumidifier a few years ago in the kitchen under the air intake for the a/c because too much moisture = block of ice on the compressor. When it isn't essential in the kitchen it lives in the bathroom. In June when the temps are 110 and 4 RH, I turn that thing on and it registers 70 RH in the bathroom after a shower, and that is with the door cracked open during a 5 minute shower. No steam on the mirrors, but definitely humid.

In terms of SMT, I don't worry about the humectants because I'm not using it as a leave in. It is still moist by the time I rinse it out. It hasn't been a problem for me.

shelomit
December 19th, 2019, 03:15 PM
We don't have a vent (kitchen or bathroom), and started using a portable dehumidifier a few years ago in the kitchen under the air intake for the a/c because too much moisture = block of ice on the compressor. When it isn't essential in the kitchen it lives in the bathroom. In June when the temps are 110 and 4 RH, I turn that thing on and it registers 70 RH in the bathroom after a shower, and that is with the door cracked open during a 5 minute shower. No steam on the mirrors, but definitely humid.

Yeah, that makes sense: humidity is increasing even if you don't "see it" in the air.

I had no clue how this experiment was going to go and was a little concerned that I would wind up frying my hair. . . but honestly, I'm really happy with it. This may move into my regular rotation, at least until my hair is happier than it has been these past couple of years.

Soj
December 21st, 2019, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear that this method would not work well for you. 11% humidity here today and my hair is still holding up very well. We have a tiny bathroom (my dad literally could not fit into it when he visited!) with a nice tight door, so I'm certain that helps.

I can't claim to have seen a hair product actually marketed as "anti-humectant," but there are plenty that include anti-humectant ingredients: oils, of course, waxes, shea butter, silicones, esters, whatever. So that may explain why the mango butter product detangler works especially well for you.

Could I ask (roughly) where you live now? I'm wondering in particular if you're also at high altitude. Worse in the winter or the summer? I grew up in the desert and later moved to more humid climes and know how rough that transition was for me--grateful to be back in the Southwest now. Even despite being acclimated, I still get bad health effects when the humidity dips past about 7-10%--nosebleeds, skin sloughing off, all of that. 50-60% is considered the "healthy" range. If it's so gol-darned dry that you can't steam up a small bathroom year-round, I'm surprised you aren't suffering from more symptoms beyond the itchy eyes! But there's very few places on earth that stay that dry year-round.

Shea butter doesn't seem to help my hair much. Maybe its just too heavy. Well, some, but I still can't leave-in anything with shea butter in it. Waxes and oils weigh my hair down. OMG NO SILICONES *whimperwhimperwhimper* Pantene destroyed my hair and it took me like 20 years to figure out what was going wrong. Then another 5 or so to find something with which to replace it.

I'm in the high sierra desert and I get nosebleeds, my lips peel, and my eyes are not merely itchy. I dream of itchy eyes with a heart-rending never-ending longing. I get serious serious dry eye, so bad that it takes long agonizing minutes just for me to be able to get my eyes open some mornings. I was not kidding when I say sometimes its all I can do not to just claw them out. It affects my eyesight. I have to clean out the humidifier and put a new wick in it, my eyes are drying out as I type. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, I hope not or I'll be trying to clean that out in the snow. Yarp!

I regularly apply hemp oil as a skin conditioner and that actually helps a lot. I don't mind the odor (smells like dry grass to me) but ... I have to always shower it before I go anywhere, LOL! Actually it is pretty thoroughly absorbed by my skin so really not a lot of eau de hemp about me from that, but I was putting it in my hair for a long time as well, it helped keep it from drying out. More. Eau de hemp from that hangs around considerably longer.

Fortunately I am old and decrepit and rarely go anywhere and smelling of hemp oil at home doesn't bother me LOL! I use Dr. Bronner's Naked Organic Lip Balm. Took me a couple of years of trying every single different lip balm I could find before I found that and it is the ONLY one that really helps. Without it, my lips crack and bleed and flake.

I have to run a humidifier pretty much around the clock and boy are those wicks for them expensive. Like $18 a pop. It's better if it snows. And yeah, I'm at either 5700 feet or 6200 feet, I forget which. And it is dry year round here, with brief respite from the 7" total precipitation per year, most of which is snowfall. I get a rush of awful weediness in the early spring when the snow melts. That's the only time of the year anything grows here. Actually dew point is the thing but however that figures into it, it's just bad here. I needz tha greenz. I'm actually looking FORWARD to moving to West Tejas, because green. Where I'm from, that might as well be desert, but its a great improvement over here. Plus a more normal elevation, thankyouverymuch.

This isn't an issue of invisible moisture. :steam It is just plain absent from the air. Yes, it gets more humid when I run the shower in just the bathroom and I can immediately tell that when I open the bathroom door and all the moisture in the bathroom WHOOSHES right past me and is sucked into the never-ending dryness that is the air here. :horse:

shelomit
December 22nd, 2019, 12:51 PM
I'm in the high sierra desert and I get nosebleeds, my lips peel, and my eyes are not merely itchy. I dream of itchy eyes with a heart-rending never-ending longing. I get serious serious dry eye, so bad that it takes long agonizing minutes just for me to be able to get my eyes open some mornings. I was not kidding when I say sometimes its all I can do not to just claw them out. It affects my eyesight. I have to clean out the humidifier and put a new wick in it, my eyes are drying out as I type. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, I hope not or I'll be trying to clean that out in the snow. Yarp! [. . .]

I have to run a humidifier pretty much around the clock and boy are those wicks for them expensive. Like $18 a pop. It's better if it snows. And yeah, I'm at either 5700 feet or 6200 feet, I forget which. And it is dry year round here, with brief respite from the 7" total precipitation per year, most of which is snowfall. I get a rush of awful weediness in the early spring when the snow melts. That's the only time of the year anything grows here. Actually dew point is the thing but however that figures into it, it's just bad here. I needz tha greenz. I'm actually looking FORWARD to moving to West Tejas, because green. Where I'm from, that might as well be desert, but its a great improvement over here. Plus a more normal elevation, thankyouverymuch.

Yeah, I know how many health problems I had when I moved to the Okefenokee, so I can't imagine being acclimated to a green/humid place and trying to adapt to where I am now. And, while it's super-dry here, we're not at high altitude (only ~4,000 feet). I've lived up in the Sangres south-central CO before and know how much the additional elevation aggravates how much water you need to consume just to, you know, not faint : P

Back up to 19% humidity here today, hair still holding up very nicely.

FrayedFire
December 26th, 2019, 02:57 PM
I'm in the high sierra desert and I get nosebleeds, my lips peel, and my eyes are not merely itchy. I dream of itchy eyes with a heart-rending never-ending longing. I get serious serious dry eye, so bad that it takes long agonizing minutes just for me to be able to get my eyes open some mornings. I was not kidding when I say sometimes its all I can do not to just claw them out. It affects my eyesight. I have to clean out the humidifier and put a new wick in it, my eyes are drying out as I type.

I'm actually looking FORWARD to moving to West Tejas, because green. Where I'm from, that might as well be desert, but its a great improvement over here.

That hurt just to read, I was about to ask why you hadn't moved yet, from such suffering!

tulirepo
January 3rd, 2020, 02:46 PM
I tried this the first time today and I'm already in love! I made a henna gloss treatment (un-freezed henna + yogurt + honey, left on for 1,5hrs) and then went for a moisture factor. I altered the recipe juuuuust a bit. 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe vera and 1 part avocado oil. Got a little estimation error and made waaay too much using my '1 part' measuring in tablespoons. Could've got 3 hairmasks from that! But I went all in so I spread it all up to my roots and wrapped plastic wrap around my head and towel to keep it warm. There was slight dripping but the towels absorbed the leaks just fine. Left that sit for over 2hrs, movie time, yay!

After removing the protection I noticed it was actually quite warm and my hair was very smooth and squishy! And my hair was super saturated and while going it through with a comb there was little to no dripping anymore. Rinsing out needed bit working but I was expecting it due oil and honey. Just for the scare of having frizzy hair I left a drop of cone-conditioner on my ends for a few minutes when I washed the rest of my body and then rinsed that out well. My hair just loves silicones... Still waiting for the results when my hair dries but it's looking so good so far!

Erinliz
January 4th, 2020, 04:56 PM
Husband: "do you have any plans today?"
Me: "yep."
Also me, reading my Kindle with my hair covered in SMT:

https://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p372/erinliz80/Mobile%20Uploads/00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200104175219654_COVER_ zpsvvtobi06.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/erinliz80/media/Mobile%20Uploads/00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200104175219654_COVER_ zpsvvtobi06.jpg.html)

Dutchbraids
January 23rd, 2020, 12:28 AM
I am currently sitting with my hair covered in my second go-round with SMT. The first time the results were amazing! My hair is normally very textured and wavy, and now its silky! It's never been this smooth. I was annoying my friends all day asking them to touch it. I can run my fingers through my hair!!!!! This stuff is a miracle!
Thank you!

leafygreens18
January 23rd, 2020, 08:43 PM
I'm doing my modified SMT at the moment, I didn't realize how good it was until I skipped it for a store bought hair mask last week... it was disastrous.

jane_marie
February 3rd, 2020, 03:05 PM
I've been doing a modified SMT lately. I've been skipping the aloe and using avocado instead. So far so good.

gustavonut
February 3rd, 2020, 03:36 PM
I've been doing a modified SMT lately. I've been skipping the aloe and using avocado instead. So far so good.

That sounds so amazing but I feel like Iíd just want to eat all of the avocado lol :yumm:

knobbly
March 6th, 2020, 07:33 PM
Just put on a free form SMT aka I didn't measure :lala:

GRU
March 6th, 2020, 11:38 PM
Just put on a free form SMT aka I didn't measure :lala:

I never measure.... I just eyeball everything!

Starbunny
March 23rd, 2020, 12:43 PM
Planning to do one of these tonight. Makes my hair feel SOOOO good. It's been AGES since I've done one.

SleepyTangles
March 26th, 2020, 08:42 AM
It's been a while since I did an SMT, but the weather is a bit static-y and my frizz is currently overtaking my head, so I'll skip it. Or try adding a spoonful of olive oil to the mix, It used to help...

Agnieszka108
March 26th, 2020, 02:04 PM
Can't wait to give this a go. I'm going to try a yogurt fenugreek mask this week, and will try the SMT method in the next 2 weeks. Will definitely post results. :)

Belgrade Beauty
March 27th, 2020, 11:37 AM
And what can I do,since I don't own a microwave and aloe gel is out of reach? Any substitutions?

Mariekeeee14
March 29th, 2020, 07:27 AM
You might be able to try agave, and Google a double boiler!

Larke
March 30th, 2020, 12:52 PM
I honestly skip the aloe (my hair doesn't like it), and definitely, double boiler. I make a really simple one with a big bowl of hot water and a small ramekin inside. It works great.

Shorty89
May 27th, 2020, 09:28 PM
After rereading this thread, I realize that I use far less honey and aloe than the recipe calls for. I usually do about 1-1.5 cups of conditioner, a squirt of aloe (less than 1/2 tsp and about a tbsp Of honey. I actually don't even measure it. :Lol: Am I the only one?

Agnieszka108
June 5th, 2020, 08:27 PM
Trying this for the very first time tonight! I've had it on for 30 min now, going to go for at least an hour. Even better...it's Full Moon in Sagitarius and there's a Lunar Eclipse today! :D

jane_marie
June 7th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Friday I had a haircut and asked the stylist to use her most powerful clarifying shampoo to help remove some semi dye that will not budge. The result was super dry hair.

I did SMT last night with a couple of modifications

Here is a B/A:

https://i.imgur.com/NJUGnPb.jpg

Lady Stardust
June 7th, 2020, 12:56 PM
That’s quite a difference jane_marie! A good advert for the SMT. Your waves look lovely.

jane_marie
June 7th, 2020, 04:27 PM
That’s quite a difference jane_marie! A good advert for the SMT. Your waves look lovely.

Thanks! I thought the stylist did a great job on my cut but she also made my waves look like someone chemically relaxed my hair! She ended up blow drying it on cool while brushing it straight. I let her because it was my first time having her cut my hair and I wanted to see how she did... but it certainly solidified that it;s the wrong way to go about things for my hair type. :lol:

Lady Stardust
June 7th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Thanks! I thought the stylist did a great job on my cut but she also made my waves look like someone chemically relaxed my hair! She ended up blow drying it on cool while brushing it straight. I let her because it was my first time having her cut my hair and I wanted to see how she did... but it certainly solidified that it;s the wrong way to go about things for my hair type. :lol:

Yes that seems to be a common problem! Either waves are blow dried straight, or artificially put back in with tongs. I’m sure there are stylists who don’t do that, but it’s certainly prevalent.

ETA: your haircut looks great :)

truepeacenik
July 24th, 2020, 09:09 PM
Has anyone ever mixed up enough for a few treatments? Does the base recipe, condish, aloe, honey, hold a couple days?
I’m using it on all my hair soon, but I’d like to have some for ends conditioning for the following few dilute washes (alternating days...lots of sweating here.

Fethenwen
August 12th, 2020, 05:07 AM
^ Must say, that I am not sure. But if the aloe gel has preservatives, I guess it would not go bad. Honey is antibacterial and conditioner has preservatives as well. Could hold for a while.

I almost forgot about SMT's! I just revisited this site and remembered that I used it before many years ago. I am tempted to buy some aloe gel and give it a go :)

truepeacenik
August 13th, 2020, 10:18 AM
^ Must say, that I am not sure. But if the aloe gel has preservatives, I guess it would not go bad. Honey is antibacterial and conditioner has preservatives as well. Could hold for a while.

I almost forgot about SMT's! I just revisited this site and remembered that I used it before many years ago. I am tempted to buy some aloe gel and give it a go :)

Refrigerator it is, then.
Iíve been getting ok results with aloe and conditioner only. Mixed room temp, on the spot.
But Iím in a low humidity environment.

Fethenwen
August 14th, 2020, 12:10 AM
I just did a SMT yesterday, and my hair is now poofy beyond belief! Too much moisture? Anyway, think I will return back to a more minimalist haircare for now :p