PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a Turban

ChloeDharma
November 28th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I was looking for more hats to wear as I keep my hair oiled a lot and find sleeping in a satin sleep cap with a wooly hat on top (attractive I know!) really makes my hair soft, it's also good for doing DT's though a shower cap and turby towel or wooly hat for those.

Anyway I saw ready made vintage style turbans which got me thinking, it would be protective particularly as it's winter plus it adds variety as day in day out I just slick my hair back in a simple bun. I then started thinking about all the vintage scarves I have but, I don't know how to tie a turban...yet.

Does anybody else wear turbans?

swords & roses
November 28th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I haven't, but I've watched some tutorials on them on YouTube. Head over there & search for videos on how to tie a turban. I'm sure you'll find lots of good ones! :)

Saldana
November 30th, 2014, 07:57 AM
If I could get away with wearing a turban, I absolutely would. Super comfy, super protective, and super easy! I think I can describe how to do one:

1. Start with a very large, lightweight piece of fabric - a very large silk scarf or shawl would work fine for learning....then you can get other fabric if you like.
2. Bend over and let all your hair fall forward
3. Lay the fabric over your head, pull it snug against the nape of your neck with the rest gently laying over your tresses
4. Gently twist your hair and the fabric (like twisting your hair into a towel after washing)
5. When you've twisted far enough to where all your hair is in the fabric, twist it a LITTLE tighter to secure, then stand up
6. Continue to twist while winding the 'tail' of the fabric around your head
7. Tuck the ends and edges of the fabric into the coils of the turban
8. Tuck the end of the fabric (the tail end) snugly into a coil
9. Secure with a decorative pin.

I hope this gives you an idea of how to easily make a turban.....try it and see what you think - let me know! :)

lapushka
November 30th, 2014, 08:08 AM
This is a canadian comedian on YT. He also wears a turban and has long hair!
In this video he shows how to wrap a turban (might be useful to you):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gBwv4fjDU

ChloeDharma
November 30th, 2014, 09:00 AM
If I could get away with wearing a turban, I absolutely would. Super comfy, super protective, and super easy! I think I can describe how to do one:

1. Start with a very large, lightweight piece of fabric - a very large silk scarf or shawl would work fine for learning....then you can get other fabric if you like.
2. Bend over and let all your hair fall forward
3. Lay the fabric over your head, pull it snug against the nape of your neck with the rest gently laying over your tresses
4. Gently twist your hair and the fabric (like twisting your hair into a towel after washing)
5. When you've twisted far enough to where all your hair is in the fabric, twist it a LITTLE tighter to secure, then stand up
6. Continue to twist while winding the 'tail' of the fabric around your head
7. Tuck the ends and edges of the fabric into the coils of the turban
8. Tuck the end of the fabric (the tail end) snugly into a coil
9. Secure with a decorative pin.

I hope this gives you an idea of how to easily make a turban.....try it and see what you think - let me know! :)

Wow thank you :) It sounds really quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

ChloeDharma
November 30th, 2014, 09:06 AM
This is a canadian comedian on YT. He also wears a turban and has long hair!
In this video he shows how to wrap a turban (might be useful to you):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gBwv4fjDU

Wow he is HECTIC! I had to fast forward past his babbling weirdness but his actual instructions are surprisingly good.

Thank you for posting that, I had always wondered how Sikh men tie those turbans.

The kind of thing I'm thinking of is that 20's-40's vintage look. I've tried searching images but surprisingly there aren't as many as I expected. This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of though

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d4/df/04/d4df04b21e851ca2562d6927a1f04e87.jpg

I've found some tutorials on youtube so think I have an idea of how to get started. I'm thinking this is a great way to vary your look while also providing protection from the harsh winter weather, plus keep our heads warm of course!

lunasea
November 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Not exactly what you're looking for but check out these tutorials. This site also has velvet headwraps that are designed to be worn UNDER silk wraps to keep them in place. The velvet linings are the bomb. I wear them to bed to keep my sleep wrap in place and it never comes off.

http://wrapunzel.com/hair-wrap-tutorials/

lunasea
November 30th, 2014, 09:25 AM
double post

ChloeDharma
November 30th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Not exactly what you're looking for but check out these tutorials. This site also has velvet headwraps that are designed to be worn UNDER silk wraps to keep them in place. The velvet linings are the bomb. I wear them to bed to keep my sleep wrap in place and it never comes off.

http://wrapunzel.com/hair-wrap-tutorials/

I'm so glad I started this thread! I feel that adding head scarves can really give us more choices. I LOVE that look the woman did in the first video!

blackgothicdoll
March 13th, 2019, 12:24 PM
I couldn't find the exact thread I was looking for, but there was a thread awhile ago about wearing headscarves and not wanting it to appear to be religious, or cultural appropriation. I saw some turbans on Etsy that could work for the summer time, my hair takes a day to dry and it's in braids while drying, so these turbans would be perfect. But I don't want to in any way be associated with a religion, a culture that I'm not a part of, or even appear to be disrespecting that culture or religion.

Does anyone else where turbans, specifically?

Link here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/612708555/lace-turban-summer-turban-turban-hijab?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=summer+hat&ref=sc_gallery-1-10&plkey=40e6d824c559c9945d33bf6d25e6aa9629aa8c9b%3A6 12708555&bes=1&col=1

milosmomma
March 13th, 2019, 01:16 PM
I have felt like wearing head scarves like that one in the link has gotten me some strange looks. Where I live we have a pretty big Sikh community as well as many African American women who wear head wraps and me being caucasian wearing similar looking wraps in public isn't exactly frowned upon but I get the wandering eyes and confused looks from strangers. It does make me self concious enough to not wear them out more than in my yard or a walk to the corner store or to the park where I won't bump into too many people.

*Wednesday*
March 13th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Why do people worry about “associated” with another ethnic or religious group? You’re not wearing a burqa or a hijab. The one in the Etsy is very fashionable and I’ve seen Black and [upper crust] White women wear them.
Mainly for style or to contain the hair.

Don't worrying about what other people think. If you want to try something, try it. Or, Beyonce is going to wear it and start a new trend.

blackgothicdoll
March 13th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Why do people worry about “associated” with another ethnic or religious group? You’re not wearing a burqa or a hijab. The one in the Etsy is very fashionable and I’ve seen Black and [upper crust] White women wear them.
Mainly for style or to contain the hair.

Don't worrying about what other people think. If you want to try something, try it. Or, Beyonce is going to wear it and start a new trend.

Hate crimes or negative treatment, for incorrect assumptions mostly. Or pissing someone of that ethnic group off with 'cultural appropriation'. I just try to lay low and not attract attention in general.

I did order it though, I'll see how it looks and gradually try wearing it out.

Lisa Long4Life
March 16th, 2019, 09:32 AM
I would like to try a vintage style turban. Not sure if I could pull it off though.

Jessica Jones
March 18th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I sometimes wear buffs that I bought them from a travel store. You can try different ways to use them and when I dont need them I put them on my arm. Problem is buffs are more athletic and may not match a more classy style. I am sure though you can find ideas to use a fabric that match your clothing style. when I wear the buff in a way that covers most of my roots and length I am certainly sure I look like a granny in a mountain village, what save it is the colour of the buff ...:happydance:

Lady Stardust
March 18th, 2019, 10:37 AM
I would like to try a vintage style turban. Not sure if I could pull it off though.

Have you seen the Freddies of Pinewood turbans? They’re not as dressy as some of the others around.

Lisa Long4Life
March 18th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Have you seen the Freddies of Pinewood turbans? They’re not as dressy as some of the others around.

Ooh yes they look nice :)