PDA

View Full Version : vinegar rinse questions?

Baby_doll
November 26th, 2014, 10:24 PM
So I know most people use apple cider vinegar for there rinses and I was wondering since I have alot of distilled white vinegar around my kitchen can I use that? Like will it have a huge difference? Ill be diluting it in alot of water anyway, and will it help clean aNy bacteria that could arise from doing plenty of water only? Is there anybody who uses distilled white vinegar?

MadPirateBippy
November 26th, 2014, 10:42 PM
It'll be fine for an acid rinse, it just smells a little stronger and less nice than ACV. Some people swear there's a performance difference but I've honestly never noticed any. Can't help with the WO question, as my hair won't let me try that, but I use acid rinses pretty often for shine and manageability.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 26th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I always use white vinegar rinses (vinegar extremely diluted) because it doesn't add colour to my blonde hair. I wouldn't risk using ACV in case it alters my colour.

anastasiashea
November 26th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I've used white vinegar with great results! Just a word of advice- try different dilutions with the vinegar if it doesn't work well at first. I have to use an extremely weak dilution or my hair looks lank and greasy.

Baby_doll
November 26th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks you two, I was really nervous about it because no one ever mentions other vinegars besides apple cider.

Baby_doll
November 26th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Correction: thank you three, I didn't see the third response. :)

Nadine <3
November 27th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I've used ACV and white and I have never noticed any difference besides the color and smell. My mom keeps a huge 2 gallon jug of white vinegar under the sink for cleaning out her coffee pot...I use it a lot when I run out of ACV and it works just the same.

trolleypup
November 27th, 2014, 12:43 AM
White vinegar here too...for me, ACV has a stronger and more lingering scent.

Begemot
November 27th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I hope people don't mind me asking this here but can ACV really alter hair color, like Sarahlabyrinth mentioned? I have never heard of this before, just wondering. Sorry to bump in to your thread like this Baby_doll! :)

rowan fire
November 27th, 2014, 06:48 AM
If you're concerned about the smell, I can suggest citric acid. I've been using it as an acid rinse for over two years, and I'm quite happy with it. In fact, I much prefer it to using vinegar, which I never could find the right dilution for. Either it left my hair looking greasy bc too strong, or it didn't seem to do anything bc too little. It was much easier for me to find the sweet spot using citric acid. Also, I personally found it much more convenient to just have a small jar around with the small measuring spoon kept right inside it. I like that it's just a quick spoon of the powder into my cup and that's that.

I use 1/8 teaspoon in 20 ounces of water for my rinse. Someone else's might be different depending on their water, but to just some idea where to start with it.

ashke50
November 27th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Just to chime in as well, I've used white vinegar, and it works fine. I had also heard that on lighter hair ACV can alter the colour slightly. Plus white vinegar is easier to get hold of round here.

Wildcat Diva
November 27th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I don't regularly use a vinegar rinse but when I do, I use white vinegar instead of ACV. It's fine. Citric Acid is great too.

yahirwaO.o
November 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Whitie here too!!! ACV is great too but White works and performs better in my opinion!!!!! :cool:

MadPirateBippy
November 28th, 2014, 12:28 AM
If you're concerned about the smell, I can suggest citric acid. I've been using it as an acid rinse for over two years, and I'm quite happy with it. In fact, I much prefer it to using vinegar, which I never could find the right dilution for. Either it left my hair looking greasy bc too strong, or it didn't seem to do anything bc too little. It was much easier for me to find the sweet spot using citric acid. Also, I personally found it much more convenient to just have a small jar around with the small measuring spoon kept right inside it. I like that it's just a quick spoon of the powder into my cup and that's that.

I use 1/8 teaspoon in 20 ounces of water for my rinse. Someone else's might be different depending on their water, but to just some idea where to start with it.

For some reason I have not figured out, some people's hair that does not respond well to vinegar, responds beautifully to citric acid, and vice versa. Even with dilutions that keeps things at the same pH. So, OP, if the vinegar does not work for you after some fiddling, try citric acid.