PDA

View Full Version : Protein shakes make my hair grow faster!

Melispelos
November 26th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I started to drink protein shakes about six weeks ago to improve my protein intake since I don't eat animals (I occasionally eat fish, but sparingly), and since I was about to start a low carb diet I didn't want to be lacking of protein. I always met the minimal amount required but now I need much more so I don't consume too few calories and recover better from exercise. Soon I started noticing that my hair was growing much more faster (sadly, not only the hairs on my head, but, oh well :o ). My nails also look better but I've never had great nails so it doesn't show much.

Has anyone experienced this? To be exact, my daily protein intake is between 130-150 grams a day (I was between 50-70 before the shakes). I know this for sure because I use Spark People's food tracker to watch all my macronutrients (spoiler alert: I did lose some weight with 50-90 grams of carbs per day, and Im still on it).

I may have finally found that one thing that really makes my hair grow. That makes me happy :)

chillerthanice
November 26th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Congrats, Melispelos! I have also noticed increased growth with protein supplements. Do you know your growth rate before and after?

RachelRose
December 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I'm intrigued . I'm pregnant and supposed to be downing protein per my midwifes recommendation , but if I can get some extra length too :) I would be extra happy !

MINAKO
December 25th, 2014, 08:23 PM
sounds good, but i would never drink these shakes and im a vegan, i love my carbs and do well enough with the minimum of protein healthwise. so no extra length for me :/

Hotrox
December 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I feel quite sure that a high protein diet is good for hair growth. I've added 2 eggs to my daily diet and have protein with each meal to make sure I get a nice lot. I'm also breastfeeding a 10 month old, so probably they get a lot of my protein!! Even with this my hair is growing well.

gnome82
December 25th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I have found the same for me too.

LauraLongLocks
December 25th, 2014, 11:44 PM
My best hair growth rate was a few months last fall when I was eating a high protein diet and training for a half marathon. I was eating between 120-130 grams protein every day, and my carbs were around 200 grams a day, but I was running for an hour or two at a time and needed the carbs. I was watching every bite that went into my mouth and made sure I got plenty vegetables, fruit, dairy, and eggs. A great diet was really phenomenal for my hair growth rate, but I have gotten lazy with my eating habits. I need to take better care of myself.

squirrrel
December 26th, 2014, 01:57 AM
I remember once (back in college) being asked to guesstimate how many portions of different food I was having (but no one ever clarified what counted as a portion - so helpful!). Anyway, one day someone suggested I had maybe eaten too much protein... :rolleyes:

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 03:01 AM
I really want to try this now. Protein shakes ftw :yinyang::gabigrin:

Annalouise
December 26th, 2014, 05:48 AM
What protein shake are you drinking? What is in it?

ChloeDharma
December 26th, 2014, 06:26 AM
What protein shake are you drinking? What is in it?

I've tried protein shakes and the powders I often find disgusting. They are quite expensive to buy so it's hard to experiment. I have found some of the ready made ones nice like "for goodness shakes" which has a load of other nutrients added too, also "fit protein" I like but it's something like £3.50 a bottle so works out expensive.

I try to keep my protein intake up but I think I fail at this quite often.

Enrapture
December 26th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Sorry, but I have a little off-topic question. :) What do you eat if you don't eat animals and go low carb? Either you eat raw foods or drink oils or eat nuts. :D Sorry, just interested as I follow paleo lifestyle and I like changing my macronutrients once in a while. :)

Annalouise
December 26th, 2014, 03:53 PM
This is a great idea. I think I'll start doing a protein shake in the morning.
I'm going to add nutritional yeast and lecithin and flax seed oil.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM
sounds good, but i would never drink these shakes and im a vegan, i love my carbs and do well enough with the minimum of protein healthwise. so no extra length for me :/

Actually, there are a lot of vegan protein shakes these days (demand drives supply, I guess :) ).
I'm not vegan and yet my all-time favorite protein shake is a vegan one, called Vega, just because it's made of really good quality, clean, complete proteins (pea, hemp, seed proteins,... no soy). It felt surprisingly good, energizing and filling, despite lack of animal-based proteins. I'm sure there are lots of other vegan protein shakes out there these days... but I don't drink those anymore as I prefer unprocessed, whole foods.

swearnsue
December 26th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I love Spiru-Tein protein powders. I add a teaspoon or two to coffee, oatmeal, yogurt and shakes too.