PDA

View Full Version : ACV + Hair Structure

missblueeyes
November 25th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Hello! I got a question about ACV concerning hair structure. Lately, I noticed that, ever since I started wearing my hair in a bun / braid over night, it got more and more wavy and started to hold a curl on its own. Now, a week back I did a ACV rinse and now my hair is dead straight again. :( I'm really sad because I loved the natural, defined waviness / mermaid hair and I really hope I can regain it! I am a bit wary, though. Was the culprit really the ACV? If so, what exactly did it do to kill my curls? x(

Annalouise
November 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
ACV doesn't work on my hair. It dries it out and makes it like straw (it takes the curl out). However, I have hard water. I have used acv successfully when I was visiting someone else's house and they had soft water.

Ingrid
November 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I tried ACV several times because of the raves about how great it was for their hair and consistently got the same results as you, even with different dilutions. I don't have hard water. I guess sometimes it just doesn't work for some people?

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I thought vinegar rinse were supposed to help if you have hard water. We have hard water and I do a vinegar rinse after washing. Should I not be doing this?

Annalouise
November 25th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I thought vinegar rinse were supposed to help if you have hard water. We have hard water and I do a vinegar rinse after washing. Should I not be doing this?

That's what I've heard too but it doesn't work for me. How is your hair after doing an acv rinse?
I heard a person on a curly hair forum say that acv can act like protein and make hair crunchy for protein sensitive hair.
I don't know if its that, or if its the combination of acv/hard water.
But it makes my ends hard and crunchy.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Well, my hair seems ok. Maybe I should try not using the rinses for a while and see how that works. My ends are a little tangly, but then they are due for a trim...

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Oops, double post!

Nadine <3
November 25th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I love ACV rinses. I add EO's to mine and use bottled water. We have hard water and without them I get build up on my hair that makes it tangly and angry.

Rushli
November 25th, 2014, 07:36 PM
We have hard water and AVC rinses are great for my hair... but I use poo bars, so it is need it. I also have wavy hair and if anything, it has helped it.

MsPharaohMoan
November 25th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Couldn't it be that the bunning/braiding is causing waves? Or do you mean differently...

Bene
November 25th, 2014, 09:38 PM
ACV works for my hair, smoother, less frizzy/crunchy feeling. Still, I use it more for my scalp, it solved my dandruff issue. I don't recommend it as solution for everyone. Some hair/scalps hate vinegar rinses.

Baby_doll
November 25th, 2014, 09:39 PM
From what you've said if the braids and buns were causing it to curl an the curl wasn't natural (meaning it doesnt grows out of your head curly) then the rinse didn't do anything wrong, and it's not messing up your hair. That would just mean it did its job. If your hair is naturally straight it's not likely braids or buns will make your hair "curl on its own" and if it did I would be concerned about the buns and braids damaging your hair not the rinse. Bun an braid curls should only last until the hair gets wet the next time or your hair returns to its natural texture. Some people really can't take apple cider vinegar rinses, but alot of people do use it as as a clarifier. I dunno of this helps. But I hope it does.

hennalonghair
November 25th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Use ACV rinses all the time. They need to be well diluted. ACV helps a lot of people with hate rial or fungal issues like dandruff.

MadPirateBippy
November 26th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Hello! I got a question about ACV concerning hair structure. Lately, I noticed that, ever since I started wearing my hair in a bun / braid over night, it got more and more wavy and started to hold a curl on its own. Now, a week back I did a ACV rinse and now my hair is dead straight again. :( I'm really sad because I loved the natural, defined waviness / mermaid hair and I really hope I can regain it! I am a bit wary, though. Was the culprit really the ACV? If so, what exactly did it do to kill my curls? x(

We have pretty much the same hair type, here's my experience- ACV makes my hair sleeker, shinier, and less tangly towards the bottom, but any "artificial" waves- braid waves or bun waves- vanish if my hair is more than 20% wet (slightly damp). So if you towel and air dry your hair a bit, about where it feels like you can style it without risking stretching out the hair.

I think the water is more likely the culprit than the ACV on this one, from my personal experience, but your water quality might change how that works for you. If I really want the waves and my hair has dried, I just spritz it a bit (or run a damp washcloth over my hair) until it's JUST damp, then braid- it dries quickly for me, and I get the wave I want without having to add any extra product.

Hope that's helpful!

missblueeyes
November 26th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Couldn't it be that the bunning/braiding is causing waves? Or do you mean differently...

Well, yeah, of course the waves were caused by the buns / braids, but I was at a point when they were staying far better than usually. My hair doesn't hold a wave very well and I got to the point of constantly having wavy hair after finger combing in the morning. :( I'll just keep wearing my hair up over night and hope I can get back to that, I loved it!

lapushka
November 26th, 2014, 07:07 AM

You did the ACV rinse and then at night you braided and bunned it - that's where the waviness comes from. Of course that isn't going to hold when you re-wet the hair. You'd need to braid/bun it again. ;)

missblueeyes
November 26th, 2014, 07:08 AM
You did the ACV rinse and then at night you braided and bunned it - that's where the waviness comes from. Of course that isn't going to hold when you re-wet the hair. You'd need to braid/bun it again. ;)

I know where the waviness comes from. :) I'm just saying, before I did the rinse, the waves stayed longer than now, after the rinse. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get back to the point where they'll stay longer again.
Edit: I'm constantly bunning at night. ;)

sarahthegemini
November 26th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Maybe the ACV made your hair too slippery to hold a wave?

missblueeyes
November 26th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Maybe the ACV made your hair too slippery to hold a wave?

Maybe, I don't really know. :/ It was very fluffy the last couple of days so I used a deep moisture conditioner today. I'm sure it wasn't just the rinse and the change in seasons had something to do with my hair condition, too, but I was wondering if someone experienced something similar before. :)

RachelRose
December 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Maybe some sort of product or cone deposits on hair caused it to hold the curl better ? I'm going to try this out lol I am a 1b/c and would love to be sleeker and straighter

missblueeyes
December 26th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Maybe some sort of product or cone deposits on hair caused it to hold the curl better ? I'm going to try this out lol I am a 1b/c and would love to be sleeker and straighter

That's what I thought, too . I hope it works for you, good luck! :)