PDA

View Full Version : Old longhair pictures

bte
September 27th, 2008, 12:37 AM
My grandfather was in India during World War I, and in 1916 bought a good quality camera. Amongst the photos he took was this one:http://www.where2c.com/A01.jpg
and he also bought a number of postcards, including this one of a fakir:
http://www.where2c.com/A04.jpg

Enjoy!

Aditi
September 27th, 2008, 12:39 AM
These pics are really very cool.

ladyshannonanne
September 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
The fakir has some AMAZING dreds.

Katahdin
September 27th, 2008, 12:54 AM
The guy in the bottom right of the first picture looks like he has really soft, thick hair. Very nice!

Thank you for sharing!

Vivien'
September 27th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Wow ! The dreadlocks are amazing. The same for the men's hair on the first photo. And there's some cool beard, too.
Thanks for sharing ;)

Nat242
September 27th, 2008, 01:20 AM
What amazing photos! Thank you for sharing them with us.

kate46
September 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Great pics! I'm amazed at the quality of the photo, that must have been a very good camera grandfather bought. Thanks for sharing :)

bte
September 27th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Yes, it was a good camera - we still have it - and I am hoping to write an article for one of the photography magazines as well as producing a series of books of all the pictures. Most of the pictures have captions, but unfortunately the one of the group doesn't, which is a pity.

I wasn't sure if the man at bottom right had dreads or just naturally very thick hair - I'm definitely envious either way.

Lady Verity
October 3rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
How incredibly awesome! The man at the top far right has the most lovely beard.

willowcandra
October 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Lovely pictures. what amazing faces too.
Love the Fakir.

Peggy E.
October 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
The Fakir really shows how having hair that long and heavy might be pulling on the front, as he appears to be pretty bald on top of his head.

Of course, this could simply be due to age and genetics....

The man on the lower right appears to have his hair loose, rather than in dreads - and is rather a fine looking young man.

I would think, considering the UK's long history in India, you could find someone at the British Museum or some university/school/academy who would be able to place this group for you?

Amazing pictures - thanks for sharing!

bte
October 3rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
...I would think, considering the UK's long history in India, you could find someone at the British Museum or some university/school/academy who would be able to place this group for you?

Amazing pictures - thanks for sharing!

I suspect that these may be native military recruits. The British Army allowed Indian native soldiers to have long hair because of religious sensibilities, and I also have a pic of a similar group which is identified as Bukahis wearing turbans.

Glad you've all enjoyed the pix - there is certainly some great hair there, even though the Fakir has aged a bit. My grandfather had obviously never seen dreads as he merely commented that the Fakir's hair was 'like rope and of great length'.

NiAosSi
October 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
These are great! Thank you so much for sharing.