PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Alternatives

Olafwa
November 25th, 2014, 07:56 AM
My hair absolutely loved the coconut oil and I would love to do another oil treatment soon. The problem I have is the smell of the coconut makes me kind of sick to my stomach so I haven't done an oil treatment in a long while. I'm wondering what you guys use besides coconut that has given you good results. Preferably something easy to obtain and not too pungent. Cheap is also a plus, hehe. :flower:

lapushka
November 25th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Sweet almond oil, macadamia oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil. The list is endless. ;)

Mineral oil is great to use after a wash, just a few drops spread throughout your palms then applied. Don't use it as a deep treatment, though, and keep it away from your scalp. You need lots of shampooings to get this one out.

Verdandi
November 25th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I'm not a fan of coconut oil either, mostly due to the fact that it makes my hair crunchy, but also because of the smell. I use olive oil instead when doing oil treatments (very rarely nowadays) and ot's great and much cheaper than coconut oil here in Sweden at least.

sarahthegemini
November 25th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I was also going to suggest olive oil or avocado.

Nightshade
November 25th, 2014, 08:29 AM
You could also try refined coconut oil :) That's what I use as I cannot stand the smell of coconut!

Paranda Belle
November 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM
If you have Indian shops near you, try the Dabur vatika coconut oil. It's got lemon, henna and other stuff in it which makes it smell like biscuits rather than coconuts. I went off the smell of coconut oil, but can still use the dabur vatika without gagging!

Islandgrrl
November 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Refined coconut oil does not smell like coconut. You could try that!

ChloeDharma
November 25th, 2014, 08:42 AM
You can buy refined coconut oil which doesn't smell of anything. Personally I don't find it as good but some people find it works well for them.

As has been mentioned there are many other oils you can use. Avocado and olive partially penetrate, almond and macadamia are very softening, jojoba is great on the scalp and gives shine, sesame is a good all rounder I find. There really are lots to choose from.

Panth
November 25th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Refined coconut oil does not smell like coconut. You could try that!

Seconding this!

höpönasu
November 25th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I used two pots of refined coconut oil for my face and hair, occasionally melted some to mix with my body lotion. I bought new pot of 100% unrefined expeller pressed organic, extra virgin coconut oil but after reading comments here I don't know if it's the real stuff. :laugh: Anyways, I got same results with both coconut oils. :o Also, try avocado oil and olive oil as people have already mentioned them. I think these three are the only oils that penetrates hair, but I can't be sure. :ponder:

Olafwa
November 25th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all the input! I went to my organic store today and browsed their oils. I'm leaning toward sesame or avacado. I live in a very dry climate so I need one that really soaks in. Also, do you just get the bottles of cooking oil? The coconut was slightly solid so I'm not sure.

Nadine <3
November 25th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I was also going to suggest refined coconut oil! I use that stuff for oil treatments...the unrefined stuff gets eaten :)

Panth
November 26th, 2014, 01:19 AM
Thanks for all the input! I went to my organic store today and browsed their oils. I'm leaning toward sesame or avacado. I live in a very dry climate so I need one that really soaks in. Also, do you just get the bottles of cooking oil? The coconut was slightly solid so I'm not sure.

Depends what you mean by "really soaks in". Coconut oil will penetrate the hair shaft. Most other oils can only sit on the surface, including sesame and avocado oils, IIRC. Penetrating oils will help prevent protein loss from the hair shaft, plus increase suppleness. Coating oils can (depending on quite how they're used) impede water loss from the hair and increase slip and shine. What you choose and how you apply it depends upon the effects you're trying to get.

And yes, you buy the food oils - just as high-quality as cosmetic ones, but far cheaper. Coconut oil should be solid below about 24 C, though sometimes the "virgin, raw" stuff is more vaseline-like rather than a true solid.

Panth
November 26th, 2014, 01:20 AM
[Sorry - double post.]

ChloeDharma
November 26th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Avocado partially penetrates so if that is what you mean by soaking in then go for that one. Jojoba is lovely though and leaves the hair more shiny and feeling smoother. I would only buy unrefined cold pressed avocado oil, ie virgin. Cosmetic oils tend to be refined which for me defeats the purpose of an oil like avocado. So in short yes, go for the edible one. Also if you do get it it makes an amazing skin and body oil.

rusika1
November 26th, 2014, 06:17 AM
coconut oil has a melting point of 76F. below that temperature, it's a solid (or at least slushy).

ARG
November 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Science-y Hair Blog (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/coconut-oil-makes-my-hair-stiff.html) made a post for people who have issues with coconut oil and gave alternatives: Sunflower oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, and Castor Oil. They won't work as well as coconut oil, so definitely try the refined coconut oil. I have used Palm Kernel Oil with success before, but my hair wasn't a huge fan of avocado oil. Sunflower oil it sucks right up, and you can find that for really cheap in the cooking section at most big box stores.

ETA: This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971) is very informative on different oils, their properties, and what they're useful for.

Madora
November 26th, 2014, 02:25 PM
My hair absolutely loved the coconut oil and I would love to do another oil treatment soon. The problem I have is the smell of the coconut makes me kind of sick to my stomach so I haven't done an oil treatment in a long while. I'm wondering what you guys use besides coconut that has given you good results. Preferably something easy to obtain and not too pungent. Cheap is also a plus, hehe. :flower:

Olafwa, what you need is MINERAL OIL, also known as Baby Oil. Mineral oil is:

1) DEAD cheap. One bottle will last you for years. Johnson and Johnson makes a great baby oil. Be sure, however, that it is the J and J that contains only a fragrance plus the MO. Additives in MO make it work less effectively.

2) When to use it: best applied to hair that has been clarified (with a clarying shampoo, followed by a deep conditioning treatment afterwards)
Can also be applied to damp (not wet) hair

3) HOW TO APPLY: Never directly to your hair from the bottle! Depending on the length of your hair, 2 or 3 small drops will suffice. You put the 3 drops in a small container (an old pill bottle cap works great!). Next, take a Q-tip (cotton baby swab), dip it in the oil and moosh it around. Then, take the oil drenched swab and apply it liberally all over your hands and fingers and palms. Then, run your hands through all your hair...at least 5 or 6 times, until you can see the oil sheen has left your palms.

4) HOW MUCH TO USE: 3 drops. The MO spreads very efficiently. MO is very lightweight, leaves no after scent! Washes out easily in next wash!

5) RESULTS (if used consistently): MO helps tames frizzies/is a great detangler and a great moisturizer.

6) Your hair after MO: soft, silky, not weighed down!

7) I use MO as a detangler and it is fabulous.

8) The washing out easily aspect of MO really makes it in my book! You know how much mechanical damage can happen when you rinse out your shampoo when you detangle your hair. MO is wonderful in that regard. It washes out easily AND protects at the same time.

9) SPECIAL NOTE! If you detangle your hair when it is dry, to make the procedure a little bit easier on your hair, try this: take a drop or 2 of mo, coat a cotton baby swab with the oil, then apply the oil drench swab all over the tines of your comb (both sides). You just coat (brush) the swab against the tines, you do NOT soak then!) Then, detangle S L O W L Y by taking SMALL, PENCIL THIN strips of hair, and working from the bottom, slowly detangle your hair.

MO has it all. Wonderful stuff!

MadPirateBippy
November 26th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I'm having the worlds best results with a mix of shea butter and refined coconut oil, perhaps mixing a non-stinky coconut oil with some shea butter will work for you as well?

hypersensitive
November 26th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I detest the scent of coconuts as well, which is why I used e the refined version. I don't have a problem with refined coconut oil and if it's my go to oil for everything. I buy it off of Amazon. HTH!

stachelbeere
November 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Monoi oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoi_oil) is also a great alternative. It's coconut oil in which gardenia flowers have been soaked. The smell is more a flowery one (smells like paradise...)

Baby_doll
November 27th, 2014, 12:54 AM
I mix refined coconut oil vitamin e oil and olive oil, it's wonderful and of course doesn't smell of coconut.

Panth
November 27th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Olafwa, what you need is MINERAL OIL, also known as Baby Oil.

Yeeah, but one of the major reasons coconut oil is so popular (and works so well on some people's hair) is that it's a penetrating oil. Mineral oil, IIRC, is not. Therefore, mineral oil cannot recapitulate all of the properties of coconut oil. Hence all the recommendations for unscented / alternatively scented coconut oil.

betterhairday
November 27th, 2014, 04:32 AM

Not cheap but 100% pure Argan Oil from Pro-Naturals.com - "Leave-in treatment gently smooths the cuticles and helps fortify hair that is prone to breaking and split ends" Lovely smell and I only need to use a couple of drops (because my hair is short and still growing)

YvetteVarie
November 27th, 2014, 05:06 AM
I have used Baobab oil as an alternative and it works great. And the smell is similar to that of avocado oil

ClassicAim
November 27th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Quick reply so haven't read all the other comments. Use refined coconut oil, its cheaper and without the smell. I get basically the same results for either and it doesn't break the bank

Madora
November 27th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Yeeah, but one of the major reasons coconut oil is so popular (and works so well on some people's hair) is that it's a penetrating oil. Mineral oil, IIRC, is not. Therefore, mineral oil cannot recapitulate all of the properties of coconut oil. Hence all the recommendations for unscented / alternatively scented coconut oil.

Hi, Panth! You might find this article by former LHC member Ktani interesting: from her BlogSpot Ktani's Hairsense: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/11/oil-and-hair-dye-colour-fade.html

lapushka
November 27th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Olafwa, what you need is MINERAL OIL, also known as Baby Oil. Mineral oil is:

That's only a good idea on the lengths, after washing. Not as a deep treatment, and not anywhere near your scalp, or you'll be shampooing forever.

Madora
November 27th, 2014, 08:49 AM
That's only a good idea on the lengths, after washing. Not as a deep treatment, and not anywhere near your scalp, or you'll be shampooing forever.

I beg to differ. See Ktani's article on mineral oil here: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/11/using-oil-or-conditioner-as-pre-wash.html

For coconut oil use, see this:http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/12/frequent-mineral-oil-email-topics.html

betterhairday
December 3rd, 2014, 04:59 AM

Never used coconut oil but the smell would get me too......
I use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil - beautiful smell. Have a look at their how to's page http://www.pro-naturals.com/news.html hit the Advice button and scroll down the page to Argan Oil Treatment. A little goes a very long way.