PDA

View Full Version : Hair cutting question

SecretMermaid
November 24th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone,

My apologies in advance if there is already a topic about this, I've searched though and wasn't able to find one. My apologies also if this is a really silly question...

What is the 'correct' or 'preferable' way to cut hair when cutting straight across? By this I mean should hair be hung over one's back and cut straight across, or should it be hung next to the face and over the back and cut that way? Would the second 'method' really be a U shaped cut rather than a straight across cut? I hope that makes sense! I cut my hair a couple of weeks ago without thinking too much to get rid of the 'layers' but of course, depending on how my hair is hanging not all the hair is even no matter how it's cut (DURRR) and most likely my layers had already grown out. Thankfully it wasn't a huge amount of length and I can say I definitely have completely virgin, undamaged hair now :p I'm planning on getting my hair professionally cut now though, just to neaten it up as I didn't do a particularly good job. However I was thinking, I've had hairdressers cut my hair in both the ways I described above and would like to know what the best way of cutting hair is and how everyone has their hair cut? Again I'm sorry if this is a really silly/obvious question!

Thank you :)

Madora
November 25th, 2014, 12:45 AM
From the few times I've had my hair cut, the usual way is to bring all the hair back, away from the face, hanging down the back. Thoroughly combed out...and not wet or damp.

Hemline is usually cut straight across.

In the George Michael Salon in NYC, they have a special technique of cutting that leaves your hair straight as a pin with just the slightest hint of a "U" curl at the tips, like this:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/J8-1.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/J8-1.jpg.html)

You can cut your own hair if you'd like to try, by using the "Feye's Self Trimming" Method. There are actually two variations, including a "U" type variation. Feye has worked out a solid, practical plan for fool proof hair trimming. I've tried it myself and liked the results.

If you do go into a salon to have your cut/trim, be sure to bring along a tape measure/ruler and SHOW the technician exactly how much you want trimmed/cut. Don't just tell them...SHOW them...and make them repeat it. You are paying for a service...you deserve to receive what YOU pay for, not what someone else thinks is "right", or worse yet "Stylish". And if you love your hair, stay away from layers! Layers spell doom for you if you want to do nice updos because layered hair is hard to put up properly because of all the little ends popping up here and there, making the style look like it had sprung a leak in several places. Also, it is hard to do S and D on layers...they are here and there, willy nilly, and take forever to S and D properly. With one length hair, you just hold up the strands to the light, twist the hair slightly, then snip off the offending white dots/damaged hair. Good luck! Link to Feye's self-trim method: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

SecretMermaid
November 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Thank you for your reply Madora, just the information I was looking for :)

What gorgeous hair in the photo from the George Michael Salon! I quite like that hemline though would never be able to replicate it myself, nor would I trust any hairdresser too (other than one from there, of course!). I'm going to go with straight across - cut with my hair hanging over my back.

I would never get layers again - the last time I voluntarily got them was in 2011, the last time I got them was in 2012 (the last time I saw a professional hairdresser).

I tried using Feye's self trim method once last year and my hair ended up looking choppy, though I really like the concept and would like to avoid professional hair dressers at all costs so I'm going to give it a go again. Thanks for reminding me and once again, thank you so much for your wonderful, informative post! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 26th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Thank you for your reply Madora, just the information I was looking for :)

What gorgeous hair in the photo from the George Michael Salon! I quite like that hemline though would never be able to replicate it myself, nor would I trust any hairdresser too (other than one from there, of course!). I'm going to go with straight across - cut with my hair hanging over my back.

I would never get layers again - the last time I voluntarily got them was in 2011, the last time I got them was in 2012 (the last time I saw a professional hairdresser).

I tried using Feye's self trim method once last year and my hair ended up looking choppy, though I really like the concept and would like to avoid professional hair dressers at all costs so I'm going to give it a go again. Thanks for reminding me and once again, thank you so much for your wonderful, informative post! :)

That's Madora's gorgeous hair in the photo - amazing, ain't it?
Just a tip if you do trim your own hair : Just trim a smaller amount than you think you need the first time, this will allow you to correct any errors if needed. If you still need to trim more later, you still can without losing too much length. Also, ALWAYS use scissors designed to cut hair and never use them for anything else but cutting hair. Hope this helps :) Happy trimming!

SecretMermaid
November 26th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Wow, it is amazing! What absolutely beautiful hair Madora!

Maybe that is where I am going wrong - I have been using fabric scissors to cut my hair, fabric scissors which tend to be used for a myriad of tasks not involving fabric because I can never find my normal scissors :P Where can I buy proper scissors to cut my hair with?

Thank you very much for your reply Sarahlabyrinth :)