PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Your Blunt Self-Trim

cat11
November 24th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Hello :)

I'm really interested in self- trimming and I think I may start doing it to myself to get a better blunt hemline. However.... i am nervous! I haven't seen enough examples to decide if I can trust the results or not. So I was hoping to collect some pics. I think this thread would be very useful for others, too!

To make the posts more informative, please put

1. A picture of your hair with the hem visible! This thread is meant for pictures, not just descriptions of how to do it which there are a lot of.
2. How you cut it (feye's cut, another type, any modifications?"

Thanks in advance for any responses ^_^

hennalonghair
November 24th, 2014, 01:23 PM
It's in my siggie
its actually very blunt and very even although the pic might not quite look like it

Nadine <3
November 24th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I've been self trimming my hemline for a year or so in order to remove layers.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7557/15638818898_d736f46060.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pPX31A)017 (https://flic.kr/p/pPX31A) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

Seventy7
November 24th, 2014, 02:36 PM
How long was your hair when you startend trimming, Nadine?
I'm just past shoulder (collarbone) and I feel like starting microtrimming to get rid of layers and bad ends. I'm just not sure if I can manage my own trims yet at this length.

Nadine <3
November 24th, 2014, 02:41 PM
How long was your hair when you startend trimming, Nadine?
I'm just past shoulder (collarbone) and I feel like starting microtrimming to get rid of layers and bad ends. I'm just not sure if I can manage my own trims yet at this length.

Hm, probably around the same length as you are now! :) If you can't trim it yourself, you could always have a trusted friend or partner trim the ends for you.

lapushka
November 24th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Hm, probably around the same length as you are now! :) If you can't trim it yourself, you could always have a trusted friend or partner trim the ends for you.

True. Just have someone do Feye's method on you. Have them read up on it, and coach them while doing the trim.

Arctic
November 24th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I don't post pictures on mane forum, but I have pleanty of them in my blog. My very latest hair photos are slightly layered, but if you browse back there should be many examples - I've been mainly self-trimming for more than 10 years. My hair has been anywhere between pixie to almost BSL during this time. ETA: probably my blog's category called "Length photos" shows best examples.

In the last several years I've been using Feye's method, it's suitable for shorter than shoulder length hair, but prepare to have some longer bits at that lenght left behind at the nape - they are easy to snip shorter when you take off the ponytail. In general I tend to always make the cut a bit better afterwards, partly because the other side of my hair tends to grow faster and usually needs a bit neatetning and evening out. (Lately I have been adding subtle layers because at this lenght I like the hemline looks better like that, especially from behind. I use ponytail method for that, too.)

Before finiding ponytail methods, I emulated how hair dressers do it. (seperate hair is horizontal layers, seperate each layer is workable chunks of hair (if in doubt, less hair is better). Snip however much you want. secure the already cut parts of hair away as you move your way around the head. Always comb very well, take a good hold of the hair as near the tips as possible, cut carefully.)

As for tips: use 2 ponytail holders when doing Feye's. Keep one near scalp and glide down the another. I prefere to have damp hair but have also cut dry hair. Have a good mirror, best is the kind where you can see the back of your head, but this is doable without that kind of mirror too. Have a good light and have hand mirror handy. Clean hair is easier to cut than oily (if you cut dry hair), at least on my hair. Comb you hair extremely well what ever method you use. If doing ponytail method, double check it's in the middle and that hair is combed neatly. Take your time and prepare to give your hair a neatening snip here and there after the actual trip - in other words I would not cut/trip my hair right before an important event but few days prior. Always snip little bit at a time and check how it looks before taking off more. Compare that each side is the same lenght.

Oh, and if I need to only dust, then I just grap a small bunch of hair, comb it with fine tooth comb, snip few millimeters, take the very next tendril and so on, working my way methodically around the hemline. I find this is the fastest and easiest way to dust.

(For pixies I don't have a method really :D and can't recommend doing that sort of cut by oneself, but I'm guessing it's not a problem on this forum :) )

Ooops, sorry about writing an instructions without photos, just the opposite than what you asked!

MsBubbles
November 24th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I have been doing my Feye's self-trims, blunt style now for the past 6 years. Here are some pics. The first one makes me want to get highlights again (Er...I'm trying to fix these photos! Sorry)

Ok forget it. I will come back and upload after I figure it out.

LongCurlyTress
November 25th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Hi! I used Fayes trimming method with my head straight forward, not tilted to the back or front. Please check out my profile pic on my profile page since I have trouble posting pics the right size on lhc. :( I did not use any hairties, just parted my hair down the middle from the top forehead down the back, and brushed and brushed each side down in front of my shoulders. Then I held the bottom tips inbetween my two flat fingers. The band technique leaves my hair ends uneven.

cat11
November 25th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Hi everyone- sorry it took me so long to check in, I have work and school.

I'm really impressed by everyone's pics and now I feel pretty confident abput this method!! I'm really glad some wavies and curlies responded because I have hair that's between curly and wavy. Curly if I leave it alone, wavy combed and b un stretched out, which I always do.

hennalonghair and Nadine your hems are both gorgeous! I knew a lot of people here used this method but not really which ones. Thank you :)

Arctic, that;s perfectly fine. I appreciate that too!! The object of the thread was to see picture examples but your advice is very useful too and you have pics in your profile! Thanks.

Ms.Bubbles I look forward to seeing it if you figure it out :)

and LongCurly Tress thank you so much for the advice! Your hair looks great too and im interested in your altered version. I have heard a lot of curlies say they cut their hair dry nd have more luck cuting the curls as they lay then pulling it or something. Thanks for the post :)

I think I have made the desicion to actually self-trim next time I do it. Since people with similar hair type to me have had success with Feye's method I think I'll try that. I have hair scissors in the house so that will help. Now I just have to wait until some time in the summer (probably May) to do my trim, since I onbly do 2 a year one in winter one in summer.

If anyone else has pics and wisdom to share I would still love to see them!

hennalonghair
November 26th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Thank you. I used the feyes method
It takes me quite a while to do but works great.
I will never ever ever go to another hairdresser
EVER!! No forkin' way;)

Beckstar
November 26th, 2014, 07:36 AM
It's in my siggie
its actually very blunt and very even although the pic might not quite look like it

drooollll. drool drool! beautiful. It's making me rethink my desire for a V hem.

veryhairyfairy
November 26th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because I just realized that my current self-trim method is giving me a very shallow V shape.

The method I use:
Hair parted in the middle, pulled each side to the front, and combed the hair straight down with a fine tooth comb while looking straight ahead (and without tucking behind my ears).
Then the ponytail went at about the base of my neck and as close to it as possible.
I combed the ponytail out with my fine tooth comb and cut.

Which results in this:
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af164/veryhairyfairy/hem11-25-14_zps963bc3d5.jpg (http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/veryhairyfairy/media/hem11-25-14_zps963bc3d5.jpg.html)

It doesn't look bad, but that's not what I want for my ends right now. I've already figured out that I probably need to position the ponytail either higher up (not at the base of my neck) or more toward my chin in order to get a straight across hemline.

The next time I trim (late December or January) I'll try a different ponytail position and see what happens.

cat11
November 26th, 2014, 08:31 AM
^ even though its not what you want it does look good. Ill bet people who want vs would be interested in your method!

Apriori
November 26th, 2014, 12:52 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i195/a-rur/DSCF3517.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/a-rur/media/DSCF3517.jpg.html)

This is mine and I use this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI
It's pretty easy

cat11
November 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM
^Thanks!! I have actually watched that video before but had forgotten about it. I love EmiLonghairedatheart's hair... I admit to having hair envy for people with silky straight hair, like yourself and Emi.

I worry about this ponytail method working for me though because i have very thick wavy hair with a blunt hemline and very little taper yet so I am worried about my ends "rolling" in the scissors and being hard to trim in a big section like that. I once cut my own bangs and had that issue. Needless to say they ended up shorter than I intended...

Any people with thick hair who can tell me how they get over that? Fanning it out more?

Nadine <3
November 27th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I sometimes have that issue, it helps to use the very tip of the scissors in smaller amounts instead of trying to cut the who bundle in one go.

Catatafish
November 27th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Hi cat11, just wanted to say I'm hoping you find your answer, because I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

I have a similar hair type to yourself, and at the moment I can't ever imagine being able to trim it myself. I'm only around APL, but I can't figure out a way to do it no matter what length it grows to. If you do ever find out a method that suits you, could you please let me know?

The only thing that I can think of is doing it on completely wet hair.

cat11
November 28th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Hi cat11, just wanted to say I'm hoping you find your answer, because I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

I have a similar hair type to yourself, and at the moment I can't ever imagine being able to trim it myself. I'm only around APL, but I can't figure out a way to do it no matter what length it grows to. If you do ever find out a method that suits you, could you please let me know?

The only thing that I can think of is doing it on completely wet hair.

Of course :) it will be awhile until i try this because I only trim twice a year, but when I try it I'll let you know. I think I'm going to do the ponytail method very carefully.

LauraLongLocks
November 28th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Mine is in my current signature. I use Feye's Blunt method, but I put my chin to my chest when pulling the ponytail holder down my length. I've been wondering about using more than one ponytail holder, and might try leaving one at the nape next time as suggested above. What I really want is a very soft U-shape hem, but I don't like all the multiple cuts you have to make with Feye's to get that hemline. I'm also concerned about getting too deep a U-shape. I want a very shallow U. So, I'd rather go with a blunt cut for now. Maybe at some point I'll go to a hairdresser again and get a soft-U, but only if I am prepared to lose a year's worth of growth.

yahirwaO.o
November 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I do have a question to all Blunt Trimmers here......Whenever I try to cut my hair myself in the low ponytail method I notice when Im done that the front is longer then the back when I move all my hair in the front.

Is it suppose to be like this??? The front longer than the back when all hair is gathered in the front?

I usually and the fact that it feels uneven too that i ended up cuttin the front pieces and turns out most of the time in a very V shape that somehow I dont dislake but not quite what I wanted. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Thanks!!

LauraLongLocks
November 28th, 2014, 11:39 AM
I do have a question to all Blunt Trimmers here......Whenever I try to cut my hair myself in the low ponytail method I notice when Im done that the front is longer then the back when I move all my hair in the front.

Is it suppose to be like this??? The front longer than the back when all hair is gathered in the front?

I usually and the fact that it feels uneven too that i ended up cuttin the front pieces and turns out most of the time in a very V shape that somehow I dont dislake but not quite what I wanted. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Thanks!!

Try putting your chin to your chest when you pull your ponytail holder down your length. This will help even out the length so that you don't get an inverted V look.

yahirwaO.o
November 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Try putting your chin to your chest when you pull your ponytail holder down your length. This will help even out the length so that you don't get an inverted V look.

Oh I see I think that would help a lot ..... But I forgot to say that I dont get the obvious inverted v shape look, because when I gather all my hair in the back it looks relatively straight but when I move it in the front those pieces next to my face appear longer.... Thats actually what I meant and hope makes senses!

That why I always do the front two ponytails and cut them straight and I ended up with a really wide v shape to make sure the front pieces look shorter in the front ! But I will try the chin chest tip next time Laura!!

lapushka
November 28th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Oh I see I think that would help a lot ..... But I forgot to say that I dont get the obvious inverted v shape look, because when I gather all my hair in the back it looks relatively straight but when I move it in the front those pieces next to my face appear longer.... Thats actually what I meant and hope makes senses!

That why I always do the front two ponytails and cut them straight and I ended up with a really wide v shape to make sure the front pieces look shorter in the front ! But I will try the chin chest tip next time Laura!!

That's perfectly normal. You'd get that when a hairdresser cuts it that way as well. Nothing to worry about.

Kathie
May 31st, 2022, 05:30 PM
This thread interests me.

My hair was cut in a graduated bob about a year ago, so I have about 2-3 inches of layers at the end. I'm not a fan of how they look as my hair is growing.

I managed a small self trim, Fae's method, yesterday on my APL hair. Managed is the key word because if my hair was any shorter I wouldn't be able to comfortably focus and cut the ends of the two ponytails. I don't like using a mirror because of how it reverses movements and makes it more awkward.

My current plan is a blunt inverted U trimmed in gradually. And I do mean gradually. Since my hair is up 99% of the time I'm in no rush and favour length over a perfect hemline at this stage.