PDA

View Full Version : How to do Bantu knot curls?

aforestfae
November 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I tried it on Saturday and ended up with lovely curls but also a frizzy, tangled mess as the little hair elastic things got stuck in my hair quite a bit. I also had trouble actually forming the buns as my hair just wanted to unravel.
I did about 15 - 20 small buns all over my head, they looked better after they'd settled so perhaps 5 on each side next time.
Is there a better way of securing them?
I've tried grips and they didn't hold

browneyedsusan
November 24th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Maybe this will help?
http://loepsie.com/2014/08/merida-overnigt-curls/

Warning: Another of my hair idols, Torrin Paige, tried this curl method with disastrous results. Her hair didn't like it, and she had to cut about 6" out of a lock to remove a tangle. I haven't tried it myself. I'm too wimpy to sleep on those bumps! lol!

elocin9911
November 24th, 2014, 11:22 PM
There's another method called cocoon curls that is sort of similar to this method, but I think gives you a better result. CuteGirlsHairstyles on youtube does a tutorial. The curls hold really well, and you only need to leave them in for about an hour to achieve results. My only suggestion is that you have them closer to the ends of your hair, unless you want to lose some length and have puffy hair. If you only do it on the tips, though, it turns out very lovely. Just put some oil on the bottom before you do to prevent frizz. Good luck!

Santi
November 25th, 2014, 11:21 AM
aforestfae, I use bobby pins. Did you use any product for hold? Did you set your hair when it was wet or damp?

aforestfae
November 25th, 2014, 11:25 AM
aforestfae, I use bobby pins. Did you use any product for hold? Did you set your hair when it was wet or damp?

I had damp hair with a salt spray for texture/hold

aforestfae
November 25th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Maybe this will help?
http://loepsie.com/2014/08/merida-overnigt-curls/

Warning: Another of my hair idols, Torrin Paige, tried this curl method with disastrous results. Her hair didn't like it, and she had to cut about 6" out of a lock to remove a tangle. I haven't tried it myself. I'm too wimpy to sleep on those bumps! lol!

I love Loepsie! I have seen that video (and still can't recall how she fastened hers right now) I love the curls it gives.
I tried them out again last night and although I don't have awful tangles this time I couldn't wear my hair down as it was too big and everywhere, might look best tomorrow.
Best curls i ever got were straw curls but I hate walking around with straws in my hair (I need to find a way to hide them)

Santi
November 25th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I like to do it on damp hair also. I'd try it again w/ a product that helps to smooth your hair. It may have been too much for your hair type w/ the salt spray & twisting. My hair has natural texture & I LOC. On damp hair I spritz w/ water, conditioner, aloe vera juice (optional) & a tiny amount of oil (it's LOC in a bottle). I smooth the products w/ my fingers & slightly pull as I twist. Give it another try when you have time & no place to go. Good luck!

aforestfae
November 25th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I like to do it on damp hair also. I'd try it again w/ a product that helps to smooth your hair. It may have been too much for your hair type w/ the salt spray & twisting. My hair has natural texture & I LOC. On damp hair I spritz w/ water, conditioner, aloe vera juice (optional) & a tiny amount of oil (it's LOC in a bottle). I smooth the products w/ my fingers & slightly pull as I twist. Give it another try when you have time & no place to go. Good luck!

Not something I'd even thought about before so I'll try that, thank you :)