PDA

View Full Version : Does braiding hair damage it?

Jenn_Ivan
November 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
I have a question about hair braiding. My hair is roughly 2.5 feet long. I wash and condition it every 3rd or 4th day. For the most part I keep it in a braid on the left side. I am wondering if keeping my hair braided most of the time is damaging it? It doesn't look to be damaged at all but I'd still like to know if anyone else wears their hair like this or has and if it caused any damage? When I try to find information about this on the Internet, it just gives me info about hair extension braids, which I do not have. This is my natural hair I am referring to. I do not have or never had any extensions.

MsPharaohMoan
November 23rd, 2014, 11:01 PM
I imagine tight braids could be damaging, but the most damage that would come from braiding would be seen on the part where you put your elastic. Do you put it on the same place every time? This can cause damage. The type of elastic you use can be damaging as well - rubber, or elastics with metal, for example. When taking your elastic off do you simply drag it off your tassel? This too - you guessed it! - can be damaging. It is best to vary the placement of your hair-friendly elastic on your braid and take it off by unlooping it (basically reversing the process of putting the elastic on).

Jenn_Ivan
November 24th, 2014, 12:23 AM
No the braid isn't very tight. And no, I don't always put the hair tie in the same place. Sometimes I have a full braid, sometimes a half braid and I don't use rubber bands or any hair ties with metal on them. They are just the standard "ouch-less" rubber bands. Once my hair got around 2 feet or so I started wearing it like this around the house and when I sleep. It never occurred to me that it may cause damage. I've checked my hair and it doesn't seem to be any different. I was just curious as to how others who wore their hair like this made out.

kitana97
November 24th, 2014, 12:23 AM
I've never heard of braids being damaging. I think it could be damaging if you put a tight elastic on the same spot every day list MsPharaohMoan said. You may want to switch up the sides you braids on as well unless your braid straight down the middle. I would put extra oil or butters on the ends where you have the elastic to give it extra moisture. If your really worried you could switch it up by bunning a couple days out of the week.

picklepie
November 24th, 2014, 12:32 AM
For me, braids are definitely more damaging than buns-- there's just so much friction on a braid, from my collar, chairs, coats, children, pillows, blankets, my hand constantly flipping it back out of the soup, etc. When my hair is in a bun, very little touches it, and it's a much smaller surface area that's exposed to friction as well. I think it also helps in that my ends (the oldest and most fragile part of my hair) are tucked away and protected. I have fine, curly hair, so it might be more fragile than yours, but that's been my experience.

Panth
November 24th, 2014, 01:13 AM
The actual braiding does not damage hair. Quite the converse, it protects it from tangling and thus protects from the damage you'd otherwise get by removing those tangles. Braids aren't as protective as buns, for the reasons that picklepie listed, but that's not the same as them being actively damaging. Also, you always have the option of braided buns, which IMO are great!

The only possible ways that braids can cause damage are:
- the elastic used to tie it off, if put at exactly the same point every time, can damage the hair at that point (just as an elastic used repeatedly in the same place would with any style, though I imagine less so than an elastic used for a ponytail, as a lot of the damage from that occurs when you re-tighten the ponytail by tugging two halves of it apart, forcing the band towards your head (and ruffling/breaking the cuticle on the hair) and people tend not to do that with elastics on the ends of braids)
- if the braids are done super, super tight (the only really common example of this is cornrows they can cause traction alopecia - but we're talking the sort of tightness that makes the scalp ache and hurt for hours or days after the braid is done, and leaving that style in for several weeks before undoing the braid - traction alopecia from braids isn't really something that happens with Caucasian/Asian hair because it's not generally styled in such a tight style and the style is almost always undone after a day or less)

andafaith
November 24th, 2014, 01:22 AM
I definitely second all of what was said above about braids. Once my hair got to around 24"/Waist-MB, I wore it in a braid because many types of buns don't have lasting power (or comfort) on me. Wearing it in a side braid for most of 3 or 4 years could have contributed to some of my fairytailing, but I'm not absolutely certain about that.

My current go-to protective style still involves braiding, but I crown rope braid around my head and tuck the excess braid length (without tying it with an elastic) along and into the braided bit around my head. Then I pin it. I find it comfier than a bun, it protects the ends just like a bun, can last for days, and looks very pretty. I can't thank Lilith Moon enough for showing me how to do this protective hairstyle (here's a link if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ&list=UUeRF3k69cJnxB87lwk9KbrA). It's a great protective alternative to the side braid.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing the side braid thing right. It shouldn't incur that much damage wearing it like that, but it can be difficult to see mechanical braid damage on a day to day basis. If you're worried about it - switch it up. It can be fun to play around with different protective hairstyles and test them for comfort. :)

CurlyCap
November 24th, 2014, 01:26 AM
I think it matters what type of hair you have.

Universally, hair ties on braids or constant rubbing of braids against clothes and furniture are mechanical damage.

With my hair, the curls like to grip each other, and while installing the braid the rather straight forward, taking them out usually leads to some pulling/ripping. So I avoid braids until I reeaaaaaaaaalllly want one.

sylvanasylvana
November 26th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I brand my hair almost every day and i dont find it damaging, i use a non metal elastic.

lapushka
November 26th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I hardly see why it could be damaging. If it's loose enough and doesn't rub against much, then you're pretty okay. I would switch it up with other styles though, like a bun once in a while or something like that, or maybe a braid in another location, a French/Dutch braid, etc...

rowie
November 26th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I love how braids look, but I just don't like how some of the loose hairs pokes the back of my shirt. :lol: These days, I rope braid since for some reason it feels a whole lot smoother on my back and my hair doesn't curl when I untie it, which is a plus to me. I definitely agree with y'all about how braids aren't damaging so long as you switch up where you tie at different lengths as prevention from damage due to the elastic.

swearnsue
November 26th, 2014, 06:14 PM
If you braid with a paranda, you don't even have to use elastic to tie off the end.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Madora
November 26th, 2014, 08:08 PM
I have a question about hair braiding. My hair is roughly 2.5 feet long. I wash and condition it every 3rd or 4th day. For the most part I keep it in a braid on the left side. I am wondering if keeping my hair braided most of the time is damaging it? It doesn't look to be damaged at all but I'd still like to know if anyone else wears their hair like this or has and if it caused any damage? When I try to find information about this on the Internet, it just gives me info about hair extension braids, which I do not have. This is my natural hair I am referring to. I do not have or never had any extensions.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/83114Fulllengthanddetailshotinfullsun.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/83114Fulllengthanddetailshotinfullsun.jpg.html)

Jenn_Ivan...my latest length photo is my response to your query: is braiding hair most of the time damaging it! I've been braiding my hair and wearing it up almost exclusively for 40 years plus. Never have I experencied any damage from doing so! My hair is now 62"--knee length--and still growing.

As with anything, braiding can be "bad", depending on several factors:

1) Do you detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb both before you braid and after you take down the braids?
2) How tightly do you braid? Tight braids are never good because over time tight braiding leads to serious traction alopecia
3) Do you distribute the weight of your braids over your scalp? Gloming them all in one place, like in a single French braid down the back of your head, can be injurious if you do it too much!
4) Do you use hair friendly elastics/ties on your hair when braiding?
5) Do you braid wet or dry? hair is weakest when it is wet!
6) The Internet, alas, is full of misinformation. Some is well intentioned, much of it is just sheer stupidity.
7) You are wise to stay far, far away from any kind of extensions!

FallingDarkness
November 26th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Even though braids aren't AS protective as buns, they're still pretty protective for your hair, seeing how it's harder for a braid to snag on things or get tangled. :P
Just differentiate the place where you tie off your braid (I use srunchies to even further lessen the potential damage) and I think your braids will do more benefit for your hair than harm.

Verdandi
November 27th, 2014, 02:17 AM
I got damage from the elastic I used to tie off my sleep braid with, rather than the braid. My conclusion is the braid itself doesn't cause damage, but make sure you tie it off in the least damage-causing way possible.

KittyBird
November 27th, 2014, 02:59 AM
With my stupid, useless hair, braids are way more damaging than wearing it loose. I end up with awful tangles at the nape, and the tiny hairs that stick out of the braid knot together and make the entire braid into a matted mess. It's impossible to not get breakage when undoing it, no matter how careful I am. I never get horrid tangles like that from wearing it bunned, or just letting it fly around loose in the wind. So from my point of view, braids are not particularly protective. However, not everyone has this experience, and it seems like braiding works well for you, so I see no reason why you should stop. :)

Mimha
November 27th, 2014, 05:18 AM
I think it's an interesting question, which came up to my mind when joined LHC and got aware of the "rubbing-against-clothes" damages. Indeed, during many years I had a long braid hanging and swinging all day long in my back, and I also slept with it. That braid was constantly rubbing against my clothes, and against my bed sheets at night. It had a lot of little hairs (looking broken and damaged) escaping all along its length and giving a messy look at my braid after a few hours (I rebraided it 2-3 times a day to make it neat again). Now that I think of it, I am convinced that my braid was a key element in my taper. Those little hairs had a direct and rough contact with my clothes all the time instead of a gentle touch, like when hair is entiely free to move. I mainly braided to avoid tangles, which was quite efficient, though. But I definitely got a lot of taper due to braiding and leaving it down.

I am presently APL, and re-growing my hair from a bob cut. I want to see if I can gain thickness by not wearing my braid down all the time. I also don't braid it for night anymore because I noticed that I had a lot of damage on my "surface" hairs (the more fragile ones) like that, by sleeping on them. Now I let my hair free at night, hanging to the other side of the pillow. Like this I sleep on my nape hair, which are much stronger than the surface ones. I'm very curious to see what it's going to be like in the long run ! :)

Just for info : I braided my hair yesterday, to test^^ and I was horrified to realize how many times I moved my head up and down when working at my computer, making my braid move up and down on 2 to 5 cm every time, up-down, up-down... several hundreds times a day !! (and each time it goes downward, it makes a "back-comb" rub !!). Yes, I am definitely convinced that in my case, leaving my braid down gives me a lot of taper.

Jenn_Ivan
November 27th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. I know buns are supposed to be better for hair but they just don't work out for me. I do buns on days I bathe that I don't wash my hair and they just feel like they are really heavy and pull on my head. I don't like wearing my hair down because I get too hot, I lay on it, it gets tangled (you know all the norms for long hair) and I found the most comfortable and easy way to maintain it is with a braid. I've been doing this for over a year now and I don't notice and damage to it but just wanted to ask others who also use this style.

And someone had asked what kind of hair I have. It is just long and straight. No waves or curls. I guess the thickness would be medium. The last time I measured the circumference of it, it was a 5.2, I think. So braiding it is very easy and it looks nice and neat and is very comfortable.

lapushka
November 27th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. I know buns are supposed to be better for hair but they just don't work out for me. I do buns on days I bathe that I don't wash my hair and they just feel like they are really heavy and pull on my head. I don't like wearing my hair down because I get too hot, I lay on it, it gets tangled (you know all the norms for long hair) and I found the most comfortable and easy way to maintain it is with a braid. I've been doing this for over a year now and I don't notice and damage to it but just wanted to ask others who also use this style.

And someone had asked what kind of hair I have. It is just long and straight. No waves or curls. I guess the thickness would be medium. The last time I measured the circumference of it, it was a 5.2, I think. So braiding it is very easy and it looks nice and neat and is very comfortable.

Over 4 inches is iii hair, thick hair, certainly not medium thickness. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I don't wear braids much myself because I have fine hair and it is probably quite easily damaged. I don't want to risk damage from hair ties and also don't like the idea of a braid rubbing on my clothes all day. Sometimes I will wear a braided bun with the end tucked in and no elastic.

If you find no damage from wearing braids, then keep wearing them. Everyone's hair is different and it may be that your hair is quite happy in braids.

Madora
November 27th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I think it's an interesting question, which came up to my mind when joined LHC and got aware of the "rubbing-against-clothes" damages. Indeed, during many years I had a long braid hanging and swinging all day long in my back, and I also slept with it. That braid was constantly rubbing against my clothes, and against my bed sheets at night. It had a lot of little hairs (looking broken and damaged) escaping all along its length and giving a messy look at my braid after a few hours (I rebraided it 2-3 times a day to make it neat again). Now that I think of it, I am convinced that my braid was a key element in my taper. Those little hairs had a direct and rough contact with my clothes all the time instead of a gentle touch, like when hair is entiely free to move. I mainly braided to avoid tangles, which was quite efficient, though. But I definitely got a lot of taper due to braiding and leaving it down.

I am presently APL, and re-growing my hair from a bob cut. I want to see if I can gain thickness by not wearing my braid down all the time. I also don't braid it for night anymore because I noticed that I had a lot of damage on my "surface" hairs (the more fragile ones) like that, by sleeping on them. Now I let my hair free at night, hanging to the other side of the pillow. Like this I sleep on my nape hair, which are much stronger than the surface ones. I'm very curious to see what it's going to be like in the long run ! :)

Just for info : I braided my hair yesterday, to test^^ and I was horrified to realize how many times I moved my head up and down when working at my computer, making my braid move up and down on 2 to 5 cm every time, up-down, up-down... several hundreds times a day !! (and each time it goes downward, it makes a "back-comb" rub !!). Yes, I am definitely convinced that in my case, leaving my braid down gives me a lot of taper.

Hi, Mimha! Your last paragraph ^^^ hair problem, might be alleviated by trying this simple two strand lace crown braid by Lilith Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Very easy to do and holds like a rock all day!

spidermom
November 27th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I usually pin my braids up because when I let them hang free they swing around. That's a lot of friction, and the hairs that pop out of the braid tangle up with each other. If you don't have that problem, you're probably good to go.

Catatafish
November 27th, 2014, 05:52 PM
lapushka and Jenn_Ivan

Are we measuring in cm or inches?

I was just thinking that somebody who had a 5 inch circumference would not usually consider their hair to be of average thickness.

Unless they live in a magical land where everybody has a gigantic mop of hair and uses the imperial system :)

cathair
November 27th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Tying my braid of with anything causes me damage. Tying it off with a ribbon plaited in causes least damage. I don't tie mine off any more unless it's special ocassion, because I just don't need to. It stays put on it's own, maybe because the tassel curls. Leaving it in the same braid for more than a day causes tangles near my nape, as it starts to sag lower. It needs re-doing once a day.

Braiding makes my hair infinitely less tangly. Buns are more tangle prone for me, especially ones that are not wrapped. Braiding works out even better than a sleep cap for me, although sometimes I use both. Tangles caused(d) most of my damage, now I only have to deal with tangles at all if I have been too lazy to re-do a braid.

lapushka
November 28th, 2014, 05:38 AM
lapushka and Jenn_Ivan

That's a good question. :lol:

Lady melissa
November 28th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Braiding itself isn't damaging...but if you let your braid hang down all day long, it has friction with your back, clothes, collar etc....and that IS really damaging to my humble opinion...If i leave my braid in for a night and day, i have a lot of knots also at the height of my neck, which damage my hair too :(
I used to wear it often in a braid, but i try to put it up more now, to have less damage :)

mica
November 28th, 2014, 07:05 AM

I have the same problem with buns. I've found braided updos such as interlaced braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY) or amish braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g) do a much better job at distributing the weight, and I can use them for days in a row, they are really comfortable to sleep in (at least for me). Plus you can "take a break" from them by taking the braids down, and you'd still have pretty neat twin braids. Crown braids are also great!

veryhairyfairy
November 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I find a loose (as in not bunned) braid to be more damaging than a bun because as several people have said, the friction of rubbing on clothes and whatnot.

That being said, I still wear my twin pigtail braids every weekend. I don't let the possibility of slight damage stop me from feeling pretty and getting to play with my braids.

I do still wear buns most of the time but that's just because it's so much easier to deal with a bun than a braid.

Jenn_Ivan
November 28th, 2014, 12:48 PM
lapushka and Jenn_Ivan

I was just thinking that somebody who had a 5 inch circumference would not usually consider their hair to be of average thickness.

Unless they live in a magical land where everybody has a gigantic mop of hair and uses the imperial system :)

I measured it in inches. And I just re-did it to make sure because it had been awhile since the last time I did and it was exactly the same; 5.2 inches.

Catatafish
November 29th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Then you definitely have thick hair Jenn_Ivan!

ManeSqueeze
November 29th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I've found that if I leave my hair loose while sleeping it gnarls into one big mass at the nape of my neck, and if I bun it at night I get hundreds of fairy knots and larger knots. If I braid it I just get a 1/4 inch "halo" of hairs that stick out from the braid after a good night sleep. In the morning I de-braid it (rather than pulling it apart or brushing it out I do the opposite motions the whole way up the head till the braid is out), then brush to distribute some oils, leave it loose for the walk/bike ride/bus ride to work, then it goes back into a braid again.

I have to wear a hat at work, and a bun tends to fall out or won't fit under my hat. If I do a ponytail where I don't pull the ends fully out of the last loop my hair becomes a rat nest. To make sure that my braid doesn't plop down on my work I take another hair tie and attach the ends to the beginning of the braid, and turn the ends under the braid to protect.

It works alright, and reduces some of the rubbing. If I'm feeling fancy I'll braid a ribbon into the whole thing, tie off with the ribbon, and tie ends under the top of the braid with a nice ribbon bow accent.

I have a pretty normal amount of split ends for an ultra-finey thiney hair type. I think as long as you aren't noticing a large amount of knots and tangles you're probably fine. Maybe try out buns for a month and see if you notice a difference?

hela
November 29th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I braid my hair almost everyday (and night) and have always been absolutely convinced that it's good for my hair and scalp (and more comfortable for me than other hairstyles). I think my hair has been healthier since I started routinely braiding it.

It never occurred to me that all the rubbing could be so damaging.

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Yes and no for me. If my braid is rubbing on my back or things yes it's damaging. I found that since I've started routinely braiding my hair and wearing it in my hair bag it's not shredding as badly. The bag protects my braid, but since I've started braiding I think it's helped my hair in lots of ways. One to grow stronger,two also it's gotten longer, and three it's one of the more comfortable easy hair styles. I love my braid.

Mimha
November 29th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Hi, Mimha! Your last paragraph ^^^ hair problem, might be alleviated by trying this simple two strand lace crown braid by Lilith Moon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Very easy to do and holds like a rock all day!

Looool Madora !! "Very easy" really ?? I shall give it a try then, I promise ! ^^

Usually, when I look at videos I think that it looks easy. But when it comes to doing it myself, oh la la ! My arms get stiff and painful after one minute, my hair escapes everywhere, or is full of static electricity (and I have to wet it, and then it's impossible to separate strands anymore because it instantly tangles or sticks to the hands), or it's getting oily and loses all it's body and nice waves and I get maaaaad !... Lol. Or worse, I succeed in doing the trick, but I don't know how to finish it, and I stay there stupidly with a handful of extra hair, not knowing what to do next, ha ha ha !

I really have to exercise on dirty hair (so I don't worry if I mess it up) in order to get some practice to avoid the morning stress before I go to work. Some days, my hair just won't cooperate ! :angry: And some other day (usually when there is no important issue) it magically holds at first trial !

Many thanks for your kind help, Madora :blossom: Lilith Moon is so skillful (and has magic self holding hair) ! I will try her crown and not miss posting my first attempt for you... if I succeed in finishing it decently !! ^^

Sharysa
November 29th, 2014, 08:14 PM
For me, braids are literally the only viable option. My hair started out at almost a 3-inch circumference (high end of medium, low end of thick), so I couldn't use buns from APL to mid-back length because my hair was too thick and that made it a lot "shorter" in terms of being manipulated easily. Even a cinnamon bun would end up falling apart after a couple of hours, so braids were for me.

From mid-back to hip, my hair also thickened to nearly 4 inches in circumference, so THEN I couldn't use buns because they were too damn heavy.

My hair is 1c/2a and coarse, so it's pretty tough. It's too heavy for braids to swing around a lot, and eventually I got used to moving it onto my shoulder or doing side-braids to keep it from getting crushed under or between things. If they work for you, they work for you. Keep doing it.

onthehorizon
November 26th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Goodness! Braids are my go-to hair do. I have to rethink this now. Maybe learn to do a wraparound braid and pin it with bobby pins instead of tying with an elastic band?

Arete
November 27th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Braids were my nearly everyday style for years. Lately, I've been doing more updos, as I'm babying my ends right now, but I still do lots of flipped and folded braids and braided updos. I think it depends on your hair type. I don't think I necessarily got a ton of mechanical damage from it. Honestly, I think most of it comes from when I toss in turn in my sleep. A single english, dutch or french braid is my go to for riding horses. Keeps it contained and I can still wear my helmet. I do tucked braids in the winter as I find I do get a lot of rubbing/snagging on my winter barn wear.
If you're not having issues with it, go for it. Be careful about things you know can cause mechanical damage (zippers, braids under backpack straps), but I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing your hair as you like best. just know there is more potential for mechanical damage than with a bun, but unless you are ripping your hair or something while you braid, the actual act of braiding is benign.

Hairkay
November 28th, 2015, 04:43 AM
My hair does well braided/plaited. I've got 3c/4a kinky curls. I grew up with braids. Everyone where I grew up used braids no matter if their hair type was 1, 2, 3 or 4. I can get away with doing them without hair ties at all. I don't plait too tight and I'm gentle undoing them or they partly unravel making the process easier. I do get damage from hair rubbing on my shoulders and back so I'm putting the plaits up now which solved the problem. Washing my hair plaited also makes it easier to keep my thick hair detangled. Plaits also makes it easy to organise finger detangling. I'm a hair minimalist, I don't keep hair clips around to clip up sections of hair. I use twists/plaits or even bantu knots to keep hair sectioned. I even use some cornrows, again I don't do them tightly and I don't do them small. I also switch my styles up so I won't have part fatigue.

omega
November 28th, 2015, 06:56 AM
In my experience? Yes.

Suzysu
November 28th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I had not realised braiding the hair caused damage - I haven't had braids since childhood, so it wasn't relevant to me anyway. However, I had a bad reaction to keratin hair straightening resulting in telogen effluvium - hair shedding, so I had to see a dermatologist. She said to leave my hair alone - I said that since the treatment I never straightened it , never used a hair dryer, never did anything, so she had nothing to worry about. She said - yes, but people think they are not damaging their hair when they're wearing it in plaits - which are very damaging.

I don't wear plaits and told her so, but it was interesting to hear from a dermatologist that it causes damage. I have to say, since then, I've noticed a lot of women with plaits have receding hairlines. I think the best way to look after the hair is to moisturise it and then leave It alone.

Hairkay
November 28th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I had not realised braiding the hair caused damage - I haven't had braids since childhood, so it wasn't relevant to me anyway. However, I had a bad reaction to keratin hair straightening resulting in telogen effluvium - hair shedding, so I had to see a dermatologist. She said to leave my hair alone - I said that since the treatment I never straightened it , never used a hair dryer, never did anything, so she had nothing to worry about. She said - yes, but people think they are not damaging their hair when they're wearing it in plaits - which are very damaging.

I don't wear plaits and told her so, but it was interesting to hear from a dermatologist that it causes damage. I have to say, since then, I've noticed a lot of women with plaits have receding hairlines. I think the best way to look after the hair is to moisturise it and then leave It alone.

I use plaits to leave my hair alone all week long.:)

Suzysu
November 28th, 2015, 08:42 AM
I use plaits to leave my hair alone all week long.:)

I know, you've said that, and your hair looks healthy to me. You have to do what works for you. If you find that your hair grows long and your hairline isn't receding, then any damage must be minimal.

But if you think about it, plaiting by its nature does stretch the hair. A lot of women find their hair hangs straighter after plaiting, so it is doing something. I guess it depends on how elastic your hair is. If you ever notice it receding, consider bunning rather than plaiting. No one seems to get any damage from a bun and then you really are leaving your hair alone.

Arctic
November 28th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I know, you've said that, and your hair looks healthy to me. You have to do what works for you. If you find that your hair grows long and your hairline isn't receding, then any damage must be minimal.

But if you think about it, plaiting by its nature does stretch the hair. A lot of women find their hair hangs straighter after plaiting, so it is doing something. I guess it depends on how elastic your hair is. If you ever notice it receding, consider bunning rather than plaiting. No one seems to get any damage from a bun and then you really are leaving your hair alone.

On my hair, braiding leaves it more wavy; not straigter, and not hanging longer ("stretched").

Suzysu
November 28th, 2015, 09:31 AM
On my hair, braiding leaves it more wavy; not straigter, and not hanging longer ("stretched").

I should have said, it hangs longer on people with curly hair, and is crimped / wavy looking on people with straight hair. Either way, it is changing your natural hair pattern, albeit temporarily, so I can sort of see why the dermatologist considered it damaging.

But god knows it's hard to not damage your hair at all. As long as you don't get a receding hairline from it, and you're not losing any length, it shouldn't keep anyone awake at night. But yeah, it sounds like it is somewhat damaging.

Arctic
November 28th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I agree that most everything can be damaging to a degree; even sitting still in a vacuum will probably damage our hair after a while. I also agree that since some damage is about to happen from just being alive, we shouldn't worry about it that much, and concentrate on eliminating the big offenders.

When I think about this damage issue in this way, I can hardly call the "damage from simply being alive" a damage, when the opposite side, the big guns, are things like: bleach and other chemical damage, hot tools, constant teasing, severely matted hair, constant ripping through tangles, thoughtless everyday mechanical damage, trichotillomania, and so on. These big guns are what we should be worried about, if we need to worry about something (as many who want to grow their hair very long, have noticed they should).

My personal view of braids, on my hair, is - keeping the above in mind - that they are very hair friendly. Buns can put more pressure to the hairline (on my hair), where-as braids don't do that.

Much depends on how person does the braids, the hairtype of course, and many other factors. I am not saying that those who feel braids are damaging to their hair wouldn't know what they are talking about. But on my hair, braids seem very optimal styling method. It's one of those YMMV kind of things. The issue that have been mentioned here, like elastic damage, braid rubbing against clothes and so on, are concretic issues, but at my length and trimming schedule they are not a problem, and they are hardly something that would affect the follicles in any case.

I have to say I am surprised the dermatologist judged braids so universally (all braid types, all braid tightnesses, all hair types, all hair lengths, all length of times the braids are being left on the hair...), and I have to wonder where that came from. I assume s/he meant damage to the roots, and to my understanding only very small and tight braids are a danger to the roots/hairline/follicles. But even if s/he meant damage to the hair shafts, judging so universally doesn't seem very knowlegeable.

Altering hair's texture temporary, like heat-free curls/waves, or heat-free stretching/straightening, I can't see how they could damage hair at the root level, as long as they have been done in gentle methods (not too tight, not ripping, etc).

vpatt
November 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM
It depends on how you make a bun as to how damaging it is. My GD is 16 and has thinned her hairline by pulling her bun too tight. I imagine you could cause damage with any up do if you pull too tightly or twist too much or whatever. It also could depend on what tool you use to secure your bun.

Suzysu
November 28th, 2015, 10:18 AM
It depends on how you make a bun as to how damaging it is. My GD is 16 and has thinned her hairline by pulling her bun too tight. I imagine you could cause damage with any up do if you pull too tightly or twist too much or whatever. It also could depend on what tool you use to secure your bun.

I didn't realise buns could be damaging as well.

I don't meant to derail the thread, but what is the least damaging hairstyle please? Is wearing it loose best? At least then there is no pressure on the hairline (and the scalp is surely the most important consideration), no damage from stretching the hair, and no damage from hair bands.

As long as you don't use a shoulder bag, which your hair might get caught in and you are careful, maybe simply wearing it loose is best.

Anje
November 28th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I didn't realise buns could be damaging as well.

I don't meant to derail the thread, but what is the least damaging hairstyle please? Is wearing it loose best? At least then there is no pressure on the hairline (and the scalp is surely the most important consideration), no damage from stretching the hair, and no damage from hair bands.

As long as you don't use a shoulder bag, which your hair might get caught in and you are careful, maybe simply wearing it loose is best.

For me, bunning my hair is by far the most protective. It minimizes rubbing and tangling more than any other style, and tangles are the chief cause of damage I experience.

But any style can be done badly in a way that can damage hair. You can bun or braid too tightly and pull out hair by the roots. There are zillions of hair tutorials where hair is teased after being coated with hairspray in which you can hear the stands snapping. You can also find people with hair to the floor that wear buns and braids every day with no problems, because they do it right.

What you won't find a lot of is people with floor-length hair that's always worn loose. We had one member who never put his hair up, and it stayed about knee length, I think, for years. He has recently started wearing it bunned, and his hair is getting longer again, because it benefits from the improved protection.

Suzysu
November 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM
For me, bunning my hair is by far the most protective. It minimizes rubbing and tangling more than any other style, and tangles are the chief cause of damage I experience.

But any style can be done badly in a way that can damage hair. You can bun or braid too tightly and pull out hair by the roots. There are zillions of hair tutorials where hair is teased after being coated with hairspray in which you can hear the stands snapping. You can also find people with hair to the floor that wear buns and braids every day with no problems, because they do it right.

What you won't find a lot of is people with floor-length hair that's always worn loose. We had one member who never put his hair up, and it stayed about knee length, I think, for years. He has recently started wearing it bunned, and his hair is getting longer again, because it benefits from the improved protection.

That's really helpful. Now, my ultimate hair goal is waist length. Visually, I prefer this length, so maybe I can get away with wearing my hair loose? I have thin armpit length hair thanks to TE, but hopefully it will thicken back up eventually... :-( I agree that if it is very long indeed the opportunities for it getting tangled in chairs, etc are greatly increased but I hope waist length loose hair is pretty safe?

The trouble with braids, and I guess buns too, is that everyone thinks they are doing it just right. I don't think anyone with buns and braids and with receding hairlines think they are doing any damage. They wouldn't do it too tight, if they knew it was too tight! Some people's scalps aren't very sensitive so they don't feel any pain so they assume no harm is done.

For me, it's just safer to wear it loose and well moisturised. But, as I say, I only ever want to get to waist length.

Arete
November 28th, 2015, 01:17 PM
You aren't changing the structure of the hair by braiding it. Hair can take on different textures depending on how many days past wash day, whether or not it's humid outside, how longer or short the hair itself is.... If you are to say that everything that causes a slight temporary texture difference is damaging, then getting your hair wet, or moisturizing would be damaging, as both these things can cause temporary texture changes. I don't see how a loose English braid could cause traction alopecia either :shrug:
Are you sure that dermatologist meant ALL braiding?

RavenMane
November 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with andafaith, that a crown braid is the best for me.
My current go-to protective style still involves braiding, but I crown rope braid around my head and tuck the excess braid length (without tying it with an elastic) along and into the braided bit around my head. Then I pin it. I find it comfier than a bun, it protects the ends just like a bun, can last for days, and looks very pretty. I can't thank Lilith Moon enough for showing me how to do this protective hairstyle (here's a link if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ&list=UUeRF3k69cJnxB87lwk9KbrA). It's a great protective alternative to the side braid.

I usually wear a braid (down) to bed, but now I think it is causing damage from rubbing those hairs on my pillowcase and sheets all night. I'm thinking I'll start wearing my hair loose at night, perhaps with some leave-in conditioner or a little olive oil on the ends. I think a satin or silk sleep cap or scarf would really help protect the hair too.
As for during the day, a braid DOES leave your hair available to rub against clothing and furniture, and the tassel is exposed to drying out, especially in winter. But if your hair is strong enough to not be damaged by this, that's great!
For me a crown-braid keeps the length up and protected, and helps my ends from drying out since they are tucked in. And I avoid all the strain a bun puts on the hairs at my hairline.

Anje
November 28th, 2015, 04:16 PM
That's really helpful. Now, my ultimate hair goal is waist length. Visually, I prefer this length, so maybe I can get away with wearing my hair loose? I have thin armpit length hair thanks to TE, but hopefully it will thicken back up eventually... :-( I agree that if it is very long indeed the opportunities for it getting tangled in chairs, etc are greatly increased but I hope waist length loose hair is pretty safe?

The trouble with braids, and I guess buns too, is that everyone thinks they are doing it just right. I don't think anyone with buns and braids and with receding hairlines think they are doing any damage. They wouldn't do it too tight, if they knew it was too tight! Some people's scalps aren't very sensitive so they don't feel any pain so they assume no harm is done.

For me, it's just safer to wear it loose and well moisturised. But, as I say, I only ever want to get to waist length.

Depending on your hair, you can probably wear it loose much of the time and grow to waist, if you have good habits otherwise. Make sure you don't lean against it in chairs. Keep it from being caught under straps and in zippers. Detangle carefully. Mine is tangle prone and fine, so it wouldn't be in as good condition worn loose as up, but yours might be more durable. (Mine's also at a length that can be sat upon, and it's getting to the point where others might accidentally sit on it, so keeping it contained is helpful.)

gthlvrmx
November 28th, 2015, 08:43 PM

Maybe the dermatologist meant braid like individual braids, micro braids, and cornrows. Sometimes fake hair is added to those braids I mentioned and sometimes they are done too tight and it damages the hair or causes traction alopecia or does both. Those braids I mentioned are usually smaller than regular braids and my idea is that the fake hair added to them are too much weight for the small sections of hair they are braided onto to carry on your scalp, causing more pulling your scalp which can lead to hair loss. But that's just my opinion, not a proven fact.

omega
November 28th, 2015, 08:49 PM
The issue that have been mentioned here, like elastic damage, braid rubbing against clothes...

Such great advice in this thread! My only issues were mechanical damage listed above and because my hair is long, I would fold the length of my braid onto itself a few times securing it with a scrunchie. Running hard and long with it down in a side plait got me too many stares and became uncomfortable.

Suzysu
November 29th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Maybe the dermatologist meant braid like individual braids, micro braids, and cornrows. Sometimes fake hair is added to those braids I mentioned and sometimes they are done too tight and it damages the hair or causes traction alopecia or does both. Those braids I mentioned are usually smaller than regular braids and my idea is that the fake hair added to them are too much weight for the small sections of hair they are braided onto to carry on your scalp, causing more pulling your scalp which can lead to hair loss. But that's just my opinion, not a proven fact.

The dermatologist didn't refer to fake hair being added - she was just talking about plaits - and don't forget she was talking to me - someone without extensions, whose hair she'd just rummaged through.

But you are quite right that any style where you add fake hair, has a tendency to cause damage - people do get alopecia from extensions, it's very common in fact.