PDA

View Full Version : Oil cleansing scalp?

calmyogi
November 23rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Does anyone use the oil cleansing method on their scalp?

andafaith
November 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
I've tried it once, during the time I was using it on my face (jojoba oil), and it made my hair super greasy. However, I have super fine hair and oils tend to turn my hair into a grease pit. Oil cleansing works great on my body though (mixed with salt/sugar/essential oil)! Maybe someone with a different hair type could chime in and help?

calmyogi
November 23rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
I've tried it once, during the time I was using it on my face (jojoba oil), and it made my hair super greasy. However, I have super fine hair and oils tend to turn my hair into a grease pit. Oil cleansing works great on my body though (mixed with salt/sugar/essential oil)! Maybe someone with a different hair type could chime in and help?

Lol I have been wondering how I could cleanse my body with oil instead but never thought about using a salt or sugar scrub. Even though I have made them at home for exfoliating purposes lol. I'm a dits.

andafaith
November 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
You're not a ditz, you just didn't think of it. :) I'm glad I could help in some way!

I haven't touched soap in years thanks to oil cleansing. It can make your skin a bit on the "slick" side, but after you towel off, it's just all soft and smooth. Very effective. I think this is because water is a universal solvent and oil is basically its polarized opposite, so anything that doesn't wash off with water will come off with oil due to their chemical structures and unique solvent abilities. Chemistry class was basically my lesson in "how to make effective natural body wash". And this is usually what I tell people when they find it weird that I have a jar of salt/sugar/oil in my bathroom and no body soap... :)

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
I doubt it's any good on the scalp, especially not when you're oily already, unless it's a pre-poo treatment with such a light oil, that it can be removed by shampooing only once.

calmyogi
November 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
You're not a ditz, you just didn't think of it. :) I'm glad I could help in some way!

I haven't touched soap in years thanks to oil cleansing. It can make your skin a bit on the "slick" side, but after you towel off, it's just all soft and smooth. Very effective. I think this is because water is a universal solvent and oil is basically its polarized opposite, so anything that doesn't wash off with water will come off with oil due to their chemical structures and unique solvent abilities. Chemistry class was basically my lesson in "how to make effective natural body wash". And this is usually what I tell people when they find it weird that I have a jar of salt/sugar/oil in my bathroom and no body soap... :)

So I'm curious, not to be gross lol, but do you use it on your nether region as well? Or just water?

andafaith
November 23rd, 2014, 02:46 PM
So I'm curious, not to be gross lol, but do you use it on your nether region as well? Or just water?

Just water for those regions - it does the job excellently. A salt and oil only scrub would be better to use in that area if you wanted extra cleansing. Sugar, of course, can cause yeast infections so I generally keep it away from there. Since I often take baths and use a sugar scrub, I just pour a little tea tree oil in my bath water if I'm feeling paranoid about yeast infections or UTI's. I'm prone to UTI's and tea tree oil is my bathtime friend.

Madora
November 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
For the sake of your hair, don't mess with your scalp by trying to cleanse it. You might upset the scalp's nature PH balance and incur more unpleasantness than you bargained for. You can shampoo it along with your hair when shampoo time comes around provided what you are using is gentle.

calmyogi
November 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Thank you lapushka and madora for your input!

ETA:

Just water for those regions - it does the job excellently. A salt and oil only scrub would be better to use in that area if you wanted extra cleansing. Sugar, of course, can cause yeast infections so I generally keep it away from there. Since I often take baths and use a sugar scrub, I just pour a little tea tree oil in my bath water if I'm feeling paranoid about yeast infections or UTI's. I'm prone to UTI's and tea tree oil is my bathtime friend.

I love tea tree oil. I have heard of using a mixture of water and vinegar for that area as well.

andafaith
November 23rd, 2014, 04:43 PM
I love tea tree oil. I have heard of using a mixture of water and vinegar for that area as well.

That's interesting. I can't say I've heard of that, but I'd be a little afraid using vinegar since it's good at killing bacteria and bacterial balance is essential to vaginal health. Yogurt, on the other hand, is something I've heard of using down there. I love how this thread started with scalp oil cleansing and ended up with us talking about cleansing naughty bits. Sorry for the OT-ness. :)

Nadine <3
November 23rd, 2014, 06:27 PM
I feel like it would leave my scalp and hair really oily. I tend to shed more if I get oil on my scalp too so I wouldn't try it. I do use it on the rest of me though and wouldn't dream of using anything else!

calmyogi
November 23rd, 2014, 08:30 PM
That's interesting. I can't say I've heard of that, but I'd be a little afraid using vinegar since it's good at killing bacteria and bacterial balance is essential to vaginal health. Yogurt, on the other hand, is something I've heard of using down there. I love how this thread started with scalp oil cleansing and ended up with us talking about cleansing naughty bits. Sorry for the OT-ness. :)

Lol. It's all in the name of education!

I feel like it would leave my scalp and hair really oily. I tend to shed more if I get oil on my scalp too so I wouldn't try it. I do use it on the rest of me though and wouldn't dream of using anything else!

Some times today's standards bug me lol. When I have oiled before a shampoo I always kinda like my hair better. It's more manageable and feels more protected. I believe natives from various parts of the world kept their hair oiled. Idk maybe I'm weird...

I tried WO once and my scalp actually felt a lot better and the itchiness stopped, I also had no build up or anything, but it still had a "wet" look after a month so I caved and washed. I'm thinking of trying it again.

Some times today's standards bug me lol. When I have oiled before a shampoo I always kinda like my hair better. It's more manageable and feels more protected. I believe natives from various parts of the world kept their hair oiled. Idk maybe I'm weird...

I tried WO once and my scalp actually felt a lot better and the itchiness stopped, I also had no build up or anything, but it still had a "wet" look after a month so I caved and washed. I'm thinking of trying it again.

Baby_doll
November 23rd, 2014, 09:36 PM
I think that oil for cleaning would make it super oily because if your cleansing your body with it, there's nothing for the oil to get caught on, but your hair as a ton of little strands for the oil to get stuck on, it'd kinda be counter productive.

DarleneH
November 24th, 2014, 06:20 AM
There was a big thread at one time about oil shampoo. Some vintage Hollywood star used it, and now people were adding oil to their shampoo. I think it's been a while since that thread was active but maybe someone reading this will recognize it, find it, and bump it up for you.

calmyogi
November 24th, 2014, 06:29 AM
There was a big thread at one time about oil shampoo. Some vintage Hollywood star used it, and now people were adding oil to their shampoo. I think it's been a while since that thread was active but maybe someone reading this will recognize it, find it, and bump it up for you.

Thank you darleneH.

spidermom
November 24th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Even at 60, my scalp gets oily without any help from me. When my scalp gets visibly oily, I oil my length and braid before bed, then wash with diluted shampoo at the scalp and conditioner to the length the next morning.

Panth
November 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Yeah, problem with that oil shampoo method was (like every fad method that goes through the LHC) it worked ok for a while, but did not work as a sustainable, long-term washing method for the vast majority of people. Once "saturation" was reached, it became impossible to optimise the ratio of shampoo to oil from wash to wash and the result was generally unpredictable swings between dry+tangly or "otter in an oil slick". Also, from memory, many people found that long-term the method did not condition sufficiently and lead to a massive crop of split ends, but you couldn't (supposedly) supplement the method with conditioner, oil, leave-ins or other conditioning treatments as it'd prevent the oil shampoo from working.

I liked it for a while but found it didn't work long-term.

lapushka
November 24th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Yes, I believe it was by ktani, but I also believe it got removed... or else, I'm not remembering correctly.