PDA

View Full Version : Gray hairs at 20!

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
So I have maybe 5 silver hairs that I found at the top of my head. They're very coarse and straight. I have not plucked them, but I have cut them. Assuming that they grow back silver, could I die my hair with henna to mask them?

My dad grayed early, too. I don't think that it's a vitamin deficiency.

Allie_snowflake
November 23rd, 2014, 01:30 PM
Henna will turn them orange and give your whole head a reddish orange tint. I was 20% gray at 18 so I know how it feels to have gray that early :) There are plenty of henna threads to give you more information and for you to see photos of what others get when they use henna. Henna is permanent so you'll need to be 100% sure you really want to do it!

Baby_doll
November 23rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
If its only 5 hairs or so there isn't anything to worry about, I had a freond in like 6th grade who would get white strands and he'd have me pluck them. He was super healthy also. It's only really cause for concern if your getting sections,

andafaith
November 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
My mother got greys in her 20's too (possibly due to stress or heredity, I'm unsure). Cassia might help, since your hair is a lighter colour. However, it can be fun to embrace your inner silver fox! Grey hairs are awesome. They're like natural highlights of experience. :)

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't worry just yet. 5 hairs is nothing. Consider the rest of the hair. How much is *not* gray? So, please... don't panic. I got my first grays in my twenties also. I'm in my early forties now and I have a light sprinkling, 98% of my head is still not gray.

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 02:41 PM
Ok!

Yeah, if I did "henna" I would do either cassia or the brown "henna."

Allie_snowflake
November 23rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Brown henna probably has indigo and that does fade. Just make sure you do plenty of research first :)

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
Brown henna probably has indigo and that does fade. Just make sure you do plenty of research first :)

Yes, after the fact, quite a number of people aren't ready for the permanence of henna/indigo and "brown" henna is a mixture of henna and indigo. Indigo, IMMHO, is a faul substance. You can never get rid of it ever. You can't bleach it out, because it will turn a very ugly green/blue.

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 04:21 PM
Maybe cassia would be a better fit then?

maborosi
November 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Cassia will give you a golden tint- not entirely sure how it takes to grays. It's not a permanent as henna, so you might do more often applications since the color does fade eventually.

DBF started graying at probably 19 or so- since then he's gotten more, but it's not very noticeable. I think it's cute and looks neat in his dark brown hair, but he's rather self-conscious about it.

Beckstar
November 23rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
I started greying at 21 and I wish I had embraced it and learned to appreciate/be comfortable with them. I'm 50% grey at 39 years old and wish I didn't have to wait to grow out the dye. I gave that piece of advice to a friend who is 33 and has a few. She was asking if she should dye or let them go....my advice is to love 'em and accept them. Silver/grey/white hair that is healthy is beautiful and has nothing to do with age. They turn when they turn.

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Cassia will give you a golden tint- not entirely sure how it takes to grays. It's not a permanent as henna, so you might do more often applications since the color does fade eventually.

DBF started graying at probably 19 or so- since then he's gotten more, but it's not very noticeable. I think it's cute and looks neat in his dark brown hair, but he's rather self-conscious about it.

I once saw a white haired lady's picture on the hennaforhair forums and she had a nice golden hue from using cassia; she went blonde with it for about 2 weeks and then it started to fade back to white.

Sharysa
November 23rd, 2014, 04:32 PM
Five gray hairs at twenty is perfectly fine. I've been finding errant grays in my hair since my late teens, which are REALLY obvious against the rest of my black hair. This seems pretty common in a lot of people.

The problem would only be if they're multiplying, which I assume they're not.

mamaherrera
November 23rd, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hopefully you don't see them multiplying like me. I made it from 28 to 33 with just a handful, and this year, 34, they've started to consistently multiply

yahirwaO.o
November 26th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah I think some are quite common--- I have only 1 visible that came out at 21.... I freaked out a little but its the only one I see..

MadPirateBippy
November 26th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I found my first white hair at 13 or so. Had several by my early 20's. I pluck them, but not for the reasons you'd think- they are a different texture than the rest of my hair and tend to be the epicenter of snarls and tangles. So I can either pluck a few hairs every time I spot them (usually I only spot it because hey, there's a tangle!), or spend a looooot more time getting snarls out and dealing with more mechanical damage.

Honestly, if the texture thing wasn't an issue, I'd never remove them. I think that sparkles and streaks look crazy sexy. One of my crushes has jet black hair with an amazing sprinkle of pure white randomly in this amazingly thick, wavy/curly mane. It's really spectacular and if she died her hair flat black it would loose so much character- I guess the rest of her hair is thick and coarse enough that the white hairs don't cause snarls.

LadyCelestina
November 26th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Just my opinion - even if you do get some grays,I say since your colour is somewhat warm and light ,it won't look too obvious that you are graying.I never had anyone notice mine and even I had to pluck one out to be sure it's a white hair not just a reflection.So seriously I wouldn't worry about the process yet.
On dark or ashier hair the graying process is a bit more noticeable imo,but I heard that they get less yellow to their hair when it's mostly silver.Is this true,lhcers?