PDA

View Full Version : Are there any super easy buns to use a hair fork with?

Leslieslsa
November 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM
I am not exactly the talented type when it comes to bunning. But my hair is like two inches from classic and I am still using big hair scrunchies for buns! My friend sent me a wooden hair fork so now how to use it...? Are there any easy ways to use this hair fork?

embee
November 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
This is my go-to bun. It works with either stick or 2-prong fork, on me. It came from someone named "ajr" on the old board:

Note... at the beginning, the stick is NOT through any hair, it is just held above the pony.

1. Hold hair in unsecured pony with left hand.
Right hand, hold a hairstick horizontally above the pony (pointing at 9 o'clock).

2. Flip the pony up over the stick, then down on the left side of the head.
(The tail is now hanging behind the stick on the left side.

3. Rotate the stick CW. I usually rotate until it points at 1-2 o'clock position.
Don't hold the tail firmly when you do this, let it loosen if it wants
(as long as it's still wrapped around the stick), otherwise it will be too tight.

4. Wrap tail loosely in the CCW direction around the whole thing,
behind the stick. Tuck ends under.

5. Pick up the scalp hair and invert the stick like normal
(From 1-2 o'clock to 7-8 o'clock position). Come up over the loop(s) you made in step 4.

The stick will keep the loop(s) in place. You may have to loosen these loops
(that you made in step 4) a bit if it feels too tight.

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 09:03 AM
A LWB (lazy wrap bun) or cinnamon bun are the easiest. Try and find some tutorials on YT. Torrinpaige undoubtedly has a tutorial on it.

Elly May
November 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
I'm sorry that this is off topic, but I don't know how to start a new thread (I can't find the "Post New Thread" button...) but it does pertain to those of who are new to using forks to bun.

I found a seller on ebay who has really inexpensive wooden forks. I bought a couple from her several weeks ago and was very pleased with them. She is now stocking a lot more and they are very reasonable--I just bought 9 pieces for $38 including shipping this morning. I am on a limited budget and thought this was a great way to get a selection. Let me know if anyone is interested in looking at her listings and I will give her seller id.

I am also very interested in learning more EASY buns. I've been watching YT videos and have gotten pretty good at two--I think one is a Gibraltar (???) and the other is a sort of modified nautilus for BSL hair. Both use forks. I can also do a French Braid bun. I'm not as good with forks yet, but think they are so pretty.

fiğrildi
November 23rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
A LWB (lazy wrap bun) or cinnamon bun are the easiest.

^ This. Lazy wrap buns and cinnamon buns are the easiest for me (I'm just beginning to learn bunning techniques). Both of them will look great with a hair fork :)

FallingDarkness
November 23rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
I use my 3-pronged hair fork for a braided cinnabun. It's rock solid - it won't go ANYWHERE once I've secured it. LWB's still kinda turn out messy, but they're still pretty simple.

Fericera
November 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
My biggest tip for making buns easier is if you can't get it to stay solid, try braiding your hair and wrapping the braid into a bun. I wasn't very skilled with hair when I last had it long, and a braided cinnamon bun was all I could get to stay.

Catatafish
November 24th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I don't have hair as long as the OP, but I am having the same conundrum. I can kind of get my hair to stay up in a peacock twist/cinnabun/flipped cinnabun blob with my new fork, but I can't get the ends to stay in under the bun.

I often hear about how people are 'between' lengths for different buns. Is that to do with how many times you wrap your hair around the bun, like if you are a waist vs classic you'll have X more full wraps?

I can get my hair coiled in one rotation only on my head, but if I can figure out where the best place the ends should be in relation to the hair-toy, I think that I finally might be able to put it up. Well, the third day after I wash it. But that is when I want it out of the way the most.

Elly May
November 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM
embee,I was able to do your bun (above) on the first try! I wore it all day today, and it stayed up until I took it down, even after being under the hood on my coat when I was out fixing fence this afternoon. I am excited to have a new bun that I can do! Thanks so much for sharing. ;)

embee
November 24th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Elly May, I am delighted that it worked for you. That is exactly how I felt when I first tried it - IT WORKED! I was astonished. :D It was the first bun I ever had that would hold with a single stick. All day.

Elly May
November 24th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Now I just need to get some more pretty hair sticks. I can't wait for the ones I ordered on ebay to arrive, and I recently found a local gentleman who makes beautiful writing pens from different woods. I asked him to make me some hair sticks, and I hope to be able to pick them up this weekend. He is selling them for about $4 and is making me a purple heart, leopard (I think...), and an olive from Israel. I have searched and searched to find hair toys at yard sales/thrift stores, with no luck. I am on a VERY tight budget and always love a bargain.

If you have any more suggestions on easy buns, please post them. Your instructions were very clear and easy to follow.

Blessings!