PDA

View Full Version : Length update! Should I keep chugging along or should I cut?

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 12:54 AM
Here are some recent picks! My hair is a little damp in these. My goal would be either bra strap length or mid-back, which ever looked better. I'm short, too. I was also thinking of maybe cutting it to above armpit but past the shoulder. Ideally, bra strap would be my goal, though.

What do you think? It's hard to get selfies as my hair gets longer!

Also, how much longer until I hit BSL?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56397417@N02/

Madora
November 23rd, 2014, 01:08 AM
Cute pix, CostaRita! I'd say, go with whatever length you like. Your hair looks lovely as it is right now. I'd say bra strap length would be another 6 months away.

As for the length, it all depends on exactly what you want to do with your hair. Do you want to wear it up to protect it..or do you want to wear it down (which is not as protective..but its your hair). Good luck!

Avis
November 23rd, 2014, 01:09 AM
You look pretty close. It's a little hard to tell but it shouldn't be more than maybe a few months to be at a nice solid BSL. You might be there now.

As for how long you should grow, it's really your decision. And I wouldn't let height effect where you set your goal if you want it longer. I'm only 5'3" and I'm aiming for at least hip. I don't care if it makes me look shorter, as long as I love it, I'm keeping it.

And yes, it's very hard to take hair selfies. I like using my laptop webcam for length shots.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 23rd, 2014, 01:12 AM
Your hair looks lovely!
Why not grow to your goal and then cut it if that is what you want? Then you can say that you grew to your goal length. Also, if you are asking us whether you should cut, you are obviously not sure about it. LHC rule = if you are not sure about cutting, don't! At least wait two weeks and then see if you still want to cut it - don't make any rash decisions you may regret later :)

Madora
November 23rd, 2014, 01:17 AM
Your hair looks lovely!
Why not grow to your goal and then cut it if that is what you want? Then you can say that you grew to your goal length. Also, if you are asking us whether you should cut, you are obviously not sure about it. LHC rule = if you are not sure about cutting, don't! At least wait two weeks and then see if you still want to cut it - don't make any rash decisions you may regret later :)

Yes! This^^^^, to the max. The 2 week rule is a good thing!

LauraLongLocks
November 23rd, 2014, 01:31 AM
I even did the two-week rule when I was considering a larger trim than my usual. I decided not to go for the bigger trim after a few days and making a few calculations of my potential hair growth. In fact, I decided on a less frequent trim schedule than I had originally. The two week rule is good.

Paranda Belle
November 23rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
Gorgeous curls! I'd say keep going, but do what you feel comfortable with.

embee
November 23rd, 2014, 09:03 AM
It won't be closer to your goal if you cut it off! :) Lovely curls, just lovely.

AmyBeth
November 23rd, 2014, 09:06 AM
Oh, if it were mine, I wouldn't cut it at all! It's sooo gorgeous, the curls, the color, the shine! I'm totally biased. I like long hair, so you're never going to hear me advise anyone to cut it.:p But it will be beautiful no matter what length you end up with.:)

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Another fan of the 2-week rule! Give it some time, and really think about it. Do you want shorter hair, or do you want to keep growing it to your goal length? You look really close to BSL, but it's hard to tell. You'd have to see whether or not it hits your bra band (bottom) - that's your question to answer. ;)

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys! Keep in mind that the camera flash makes my hair appear to be extra shiny :)

I will try to get a length shot with my computer's camera

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56397417@N02/

More pics!

With the 2 that I added, my hair is a bit messy because it's bed-head hair

diddiedaisy
November 23rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
It doesn't look like it needs cutting to me. As for length you look similar to me and I'll hit bsl about February. I'm going from top of bra strap though. As a fellow shorty mbl is only 1 inch from bottom of bra strap which is why I'm going to call at the top.

ZeppHead
November 23rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Remember you can always go shorter but going longer takes time so grow to bsl and see how you feel about it. I think your hair is beautiful and looks nice long. But your the one who deals with it everyday so do what your comfortable with.

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
That's true. I've been growing it out for too long to just cut it!

Allie_snowflake
November 23rd, 2014, 01:37 PM
10 years ago I chopped up to collar bone out of aggravation from almost waist then four years ago I chopped to APL when I started henna. I hated it both times but the second time was a conscious decision to cut off a lot of bleach damage. Your curls are beautiful!!!!

nakima
November 23rd, 2014, 03:01 PM
your hair is very pretty and healthy looking and it looks to me to be about 2 inches away from bsl I also agree with the 2 week rule on cutting.

Beckstar
November 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
You look like you're already at BSL or a little longer...I count total length by pulling my hair straight or when it's wet...

jacqueline101
November 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM
I agree with others use the two week rule. In my opinion your hair looks lovely and you can easily make it to bsl which is your goal. After you reach it then cut. There was times when I trimmed that was more like a cut and wished I'd used the two week rule.

Ingrid
November 23rd, 2014, 05:55 PM
Why do you want to cut it if you want it longer? :ponder:

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 08:29 PM
^Good question. I'm not sure what I want. I've always wanted it longer, but I'm wondering if it would look any better if it was actually shorter.

CostaRita
November 23rd, 2014, 08:31 PM
Good question. I just wonder if it would look any better if it was shorter.

hanne jensen
November 24th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Your hair is beautiful. Leave it alone. I would do almost anything for your hair. My face is pea green with envy. If I had that hair, I'd grow, grow, grow! If you are a petite lady, you could wear your hair up all the time and take it down for special occaisions privately for your SO. It takes 15 minutes to chop and years to grow.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 24th, 2014, 12:57 AM

It would have been shorter before you began growing it. Give your hair a chance to grow, be patient. Unless you really hate it - it is your hair, after all. It is easy to do a big chop and then regret it - ask me how I know:)

CostaRita
November 24th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Good tips!! Thanks!

AmyBeth
November 26th, 2014, 10:07 AM

After having long hair all of my life, I got curious to see if I would look better/younger/different with shorter hair, so I did a pretty big chop, from WL to SL. I looked exactly the same, but with shorter hair!:p Although I regretted cutting it, I figured that since what was done, was done, I may as well try to enjoy it. I spent a few years playing with it, cutting bangs, different kinds of layered haircuts etc. I discovered that no matter how I cut it, it kept on growing- who knew?:) If you decide to cut it, it will grow back. I'll never do it again, though.