PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Jojoba Oil?

MiamiPineapple
November 22nd, 2014, 07:12 PM
I purchased some Jojoba oil today. I am visiting family in PA and my ends are very dry. I wanted to know, how does everyone use this. Do you mix it with shampoo or conditioner? Apply to wet or dry hair? Mix with a leave-in? I would like to get some ideas to make sure I am using it correctly. I know many people on here like it. Thank you!

mira-chan
November 22nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
You can apply it wet or dry. I usually don't mix my oils in with products. You can use a drop or two rubbed between your hands to smooth your hair, it's great for tame flyaways and minor frizziness. You can smooth a bit over your hair while it's wet as a leave in to seal in the moisture. Always start with the lowest amount possible and add more as needed, especially on wet hair. It's very easy to put too much at first.

gthlvrmx
November 22nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Try oiling your hair when it's damp. That will help seal moisture onto your hair which will help your dry ends.

Fericera
November 22nd, 2014, 09:34 PM
I use it on the ends of my damp hair (usually after washing). I find it keeps my ends nice and soft. I've never used it on dry hair, I don't know if it's an oil that would soak in much.

mira-chan
November 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM
I use it on the ends of my damp hair (usually after washing). I find it keeps my ends nice and soft. I've never used it on dry hair, I don't know if it's an oil that would soak in much.

Oils don't necessarily need to soak in fully. On dry hair it could work as a coating/ smoothing agent similar to frizz reduction silicone products.

Nadine <3
November 22nd, 2014, 11:34 PM
I don't know a ton about Jojoba oil, but I'm assuming you can use them in the same way you use others. You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.

Like for me I know coconut and olive work best as pre poo's but the grapes seed oil I have does better as a leave in. After my hair is washed and dried, I smooth a drop or two over my hair to smooth out frizz. I had to experiment with them though to figure it out. You can't really use an oil "wrong"...if you make your hair greasy, it will wash out fine and now you know that didn't work. Pre poo's are hard to mess up since the whole idea is to make your hair oily.

MiamiPineapple
November 25th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am excited to use now :)

yahirwaO.o
November 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Make sure to tell us how it worked for you......

Personally it's the only hair oil that my fine straight hair can handle without feeling weigh down or like a total greasy mess

It also washes out easily and both damp or dry works awesome for me!!;)

MadPirateBippy
November 28th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Jojoba isn't generally considered a penetrating oil, if I recall correctly- it sits on top of the hair shaft, instead of going into the hair. So it's best used on damp ends to seal in moisture, if the ends are too dry. If you know your hair likes oils I'd do a pre-poo treatment with some coconut oil (which works the best in my hair), or some other oil known for penetrating the shaft. Then shampoo/condition as usual, and when your hair is still wet, use jojoba on the length to seal the moisture into the shaft.

Stray_mind
November 28th, 2014, 09:26 AM
i usually rub a drow or two between my palms and spread it on my damp hair. I love how it smells and it makes my hair less frizzy.

ChloeDharma
November 28th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I use jojoba oil on my scalp sometimes, in fact I literally just finished applying it to my scalp with rosemary and ylang ylang EO's. Then I give it a good massage. I did this because bhringraj oil makes me sleepy so I leave that for before bed time.
As others have said it's good used lightly on the length to give some protection and makes the hair feel nice and soft. It is also good combined with aloe gel to use as a post wash leave in.
You can also use it on your skin, I often use it in winter months when my skin needs a little more protection.

QMacrocarpa
November 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM
OP, everyone's hair is different, so experiment a bit and see what works for you. Personally, I don't like to put oil over damp hair, it gives me stringy, greasy-looking ends which make me dismayed. So I wait for the day after wash day to oil my ends. I like jojoba a lot, but it's comparatively pricey, so now I save it for my face, and my hair and dry feet get cheap non-virgin olive oil from the grocery store (which my face doesn't care for). If you use your oil slowly, you may want to store most of it in the refrigerator to prevent rancidity.

MJ1972
November 29th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Personally, I don't like to put oil over damp hair, it gives me stringy, greasy-looking ends which make me dismayed. So I wait for the day after wash day to oil my ends.

That's what I do. I apply a tiny bit of jojoba oil to dry hair on non-wash days, just before going to bed. It penetrates my hair to the extent that my ends usually don't look oily any more when I wake up the next morning. Just nice and full. I have fairly thin and frizzy ends; jojoba oil makes them look much healthier.

Saldana
November 30th, 2014, 08:07 AM
My skin and hair LOVE jojoba, and my scalp will tolerate it (when it doesn't tolerate much else), so jojoba is my 'go to' oil of choice. I use it on my face several times a day. When my hair feels dry (seldom), I smooth a few drops onto the damp ends. If I do a scalp massage, I'll use a small amount of jojoba oil as a carrier for a few drops of essential oil (bergamot is my current favorite).

In my hair world, jojoba is the undisputed king of oils.