PDA

View Full Version : Curls in the front and non in the back?

bexcalo
November 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Does anyone else find that the hair framing the face and in front of the ears tends to curl and look awesome yet the back of the hair just hangs limp? I have 2a/b hair, when i had layers or thinned my hair it would go really curly almost to a 2c but I'm loath to do this to get the curls. Am i making sense of this?
My hair in front of my ears is not as heavy as the back due to me trying to grow out a fringe i had from a year ago.

cat11
November 22nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
It might be because those hairs are shorter and not getting weighed down as much. I know that all hair has more curl when its shorter for this reason

neko_kawaii
November 22nd, 2014, 12:33 PM
In my case I have different hair types in front/nape and everywhere else. I get a couple lovely little curls from the temples and behind the ears going back to nape. Everywhere else is wavy. One thing I noticed when my hair was between shoulder and APL was that I could clip back the sides, leaving the temple hairs alone and by moving all the wavy hairs together in the back the curls in front and at nape were more exposed from a front view giving the illusion of curly hair, but only from the front view.

It sounds like your hair tends to straighten out with length. You could try my illusion. Also, if you haven't already, try some curly girl techniques to see if you can encourage more curl formation and hold without thinning.

bexcalo
November 22nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
In my case I have different hair types in front/nape and everywhere else. I get a couple lovely little curls from the temples and behind the ears going back to nape. Everywhere else is wavy. One thing I noticed when my hair was between shoulder and APL was that I could clip back the sides, leaving the temple hairs alone and by moving all the wavy hairs together in the back the curls in front and at nape were more exposed from a front view giving the illusion of curly hair, but only from the front view.

It sounds like your hair tends to straighten out with length. You could try my illusion. Also, if you haven't already, try some curly girl techniques to see if you can encourage more curl formation and hold without thinning.

Its funny as my hair tends to go curlier with length than when shorter. Im hoping in the next few months that the curl will come out more. I need to try CG. I took my hair out of my turbie and noticed that the front had defined curls and so i figured i would try putting some curl activator on and scrunch and leave so sat here trying hardest not to touch it. Thats when i noticed that the front curled but not the back. I think i will leave it to get more length before really going for the curls. Thanks though

TrapperCreekD
November 22nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Do you apply any products to your hair after washing? If so, it could be uneven coverage. If I don't have my gel distributed evenly the back of my head looks like a mess while the rest is nice and curly. Given your thickness, it could just be the weight pulling out the wave...

lapushka
November 22nd, 2014, 04:48 PM
I sometimes get a few ringlets on the left side (always there). It's a total mystery to me as to why. Maybe because my hair is cut in a middle part (all hair to the front in a compact cut, technically the same as a middle part). And then it's in a side part with the shortest bits going to my left side. Yeah, come to think of it... that explains it. :lol:

spidermom
November 22nd, 2014, 05:44 PM
When my hair had some curl, it only showed when it got to be at least APL to BSL. The curl was fairly loose, so it took length to form a true ring-let. Before that, it only looked bushy.

It's normal for hair to have a variety of types and textures. I have straight areas and wavy areas. I used to have curly areas, too, but not anymore. I don't know why it changed; I loved the curl.

diddiedaisy
November 22nd, 2014, 06:03 PM
Same problem here. It's the curse of the 2a's. I think it's because the shoulders help support the hair at the front. My wave is very different in the morning when freshly washed, it starts giving up at lunchtime so by late afternoon the back looks like rats tails. The front however keeps its wave much better.

Avis
November 23rd, 2014, 01:17 AM
I've always wondered if this happened to other people. The bits of hair around my temples are very wavy/wurly and I get a few spirals in there too, but the back always seems to have about a 3 inch area from the roots where it's straight then starts to wave. But even then the waves all seem to want to wave most intensely at the bottom half and the top is almost stuck between waviness and straightness. I've accepted it as normal and it doesn't bother me like it used to. Plus now that I'm using leave-ins, the waves/wurls look better now and not so strange.

mamaherrera
November 23rd, 2014, 02:44 AM
I have the opposite, my daughter has what you are all talking about, she is like a 2a, but super cute curls in front. I'm a 2c, probably could fake a 3A if I had more consistent styling techniques, but my sides/temples/ are straight. But then again I have my white hairs there, so they get hit with henna once a week, but my hair gets curlier with length, although I have never had any curl until at least 3 inches down from the top, even though I yearn to have such types of curls, but no, never. Pretty similar hair to TrapperCreek, but maybe another inch down, my curls start. When I was little, my hair was curlier, way curlier, up to roots. BUt one hairdresses said, that's because I probably had finer strands, so they could curl up, more. But if I get a short hair cut, my curls don't get enough time/length to curl, since they are big spirals, not tight curls, so if I'm below (and I was) should length, I just have these half figure 8's if you get my jiff. Everyone has told me, gets tons of layers so your curls spring up, but I got layers now, and I really notice no difference in curl. I'm just not a 3b curly girl.

Hotrox
November 23rd, 2014, 06:25 AM
I also have this, but it is evening out as my hair lets longer. The back section has started to curl more since it got to around APL, but it'll never match the ringlets around the front and behind my ears. I just make sure the back has a good covering of styling product and give it a little extra attention when styling but other than that I've had to accept it as it is. I do trim a few of the straighter sections shorter though, otherwise I get a few 'rats tails' hanging down which I hate the look of.

bexcalo
November 23rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
See i never had curly hair until i turned 24, then all of a sudden it just started curling! it was very strange. I have to say i am considering getting some long layers cut in after xmas. Im gonna leave it for now but its getting very thick and unruly

embee
November 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
When I was younger with shorter hair (shoulder to BSL) all the hair was straight, but the back would sometimes hold a curl but the front never could, it always went straight within an hour. Bummer.

It is annoying to have hair do such different things, but it sounds like curls in front is more attractive, being softer looking and all.

molljo
November 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
See i never had curly hair until i turned 24, then all of a sudden it just started curling! it was very strange. I have to say i am considering getting some long layers cut in after xmas. Im gonna leave it for now but its getting very thick and unruly

I'm going to sound like a stickler, but you do not have curly hair, you have wavy hair. It's important to use the right word because as wavies we tend to get erased, like the world is divided into straight hair and curly hair and nothing in between. Be proud of being a 2 and use the right word, please.