PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is okay to mix coconut and olive oils?

Leslieslsa
November 21st, 2014, 01:48 PM
Could I mix the two and get the benefits from both on my hair?

arr
November 21st, 2014, 02:08 PM
I do it all the time. In fact i never use them separately anymore. I feel coconut gives my hair strength and shine but olive oil adds a certain softness and glossiness that i dont get from coconut oil alone. Olive oil alone is too heavy though. I mix equal parts and get the best of both.

CurlyCap
November 21st, 2014, 02:10 PM
If your hair likes them both, it's totally cool

You might have to play a bit with the ratios so make sure you get the consistency at room temperature that you like. I tend to make big tubs or bottles of my favorite oil mixes and then divide them up into smaller batches to use. For the hard mixes, I store them in the freezer so they don't get gunky.

höpönasu
November 21st, 2014, 02:13 PM
I do also mix my oils all the time. :o

molljo
November 21st, 2014, 02:33 PM
I do it all the time. In fact i never use them separately anymore. I feel coconut gives my hair strength and shine but olive oil adds a certain softness and glossiness that i dont get from coconut oil alone. Olive oil alone is too heavy though. I mix equal parts and get the best of both.

I just want to second everything arr said. They're really great together.

Anje
November 21st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Have at it! You can mix any oils with any other oils you like. :D

JellyBene
November 21st, 2014, 03:48 PM
Yes, mix away! have fun experimenting

MadPirateBippy
November 21st, 2014, 10:44 PM
it's often recommended to mix various oils at various strengths together. Just make sure you don't include petroleum based oils in the mix- mineral oil with olive oil, for instance, can be a nightmare to get out of hair!

Madora
November 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM
Could I mix the two and get the benefits from both on my hair?

I would not. Experiment with one for a while and see how you like it. Then clarify your hair (be sure to follow the clarifying with a conditioning treatment!). Then try the other oil for a while.

Also, not all oils can be beneficial to your hair! Here is an interesting article about it (from Ktani's Hairsense BlogSpot: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

You should also take into consideration that your hair does not need a lot of oil in order to be healthy..and that too much oil (and different types at one time) can turn out to be detrimental because they might not work well together...or be the drying types.

Also, be cautious about how much oil you use! Once a week should be more than enough! Also, how you oil plays a major role in how your hair will look after a while. You want a natural look...not hair that is loaded down and looks lank and unattractive.

Link to LHC member Heidi W.' vid. tutorial on how to oil long hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Nadine <3
November 22nd, 2014, 12:08 AM
I do it all the time as a prepoo. I love the way it makes my hair feel! It works well as a leave in too.

chelsea89ms
November 22nd, 2014, 01:19 AM
I would not. Experiment with one for a while and see how you like it. Then clarify your hair (be sure to follow the clarifying with a conditioning treatment!). Then try the other oil for a while.

Also, not all oils can be beneficial to your hair! Here is an interesting article about it (from Ktani's Hairsense BlogSpot: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

You should also take into consideration that your hair does not need a lot of oil in order to be healthy..and that too much oil (and different types at one time) can turn out to be detrimental because they might not work well together...or be the drying types.

Also, be cautious about how much oil you use! Once a week should be more than enough! Also, how you oil plays a major role in how your hair will look after a while. You want a natural look...not hair that is loaded down and looks lank and unattractive.

Link to LHC member Heidi W.' vid. tutorial on how to oil long hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I had no idea there was such a thing as drying oils! Ktani's articles are all so fascinating. Also I adore that video, her hair is a dream! It was so interesting to see how she detangles her very long hair. I was surprised by how little oil she uses, Im definitely over oiling my hair. I will have to try using less to see how it effects my hair.

Madora
November 22nd, 2014, 01:33 AM
I had no idea there was such a thing as drying oils! Ktani's articles are all so fascinating. Also I adore that video, her hair is a dream! It was so interesting to see how she detangles her very long hair. I was surprised by how little oil she uses, Im definitely over oiling my hair. I will have to try using less to see how it effects my hair.

Yes, Ktani's articles on hair care are fascinating and well researched! She really knows her stuff!

The lady in the video is Heidi W, a long time LHCer (who doesn't post much any more). She had the most beautiful head of hair...golden, shimmering, to her knees. I saw her comb it out once...quite a vision. Oiling is used by quite a few LHCers to great effect..but you have to do it judiciously and not use gobs of it hoping for quicker results! Less is more! If you find after your initial use that your hair is responding to the oiling, fine. If its not, then try a little more..or perhaps change the type of oil you are using. You need to be careful with oils as some are way heavier than others. Mineral Oil is the most lightweight and does a great job of protecting ends, taming frizzies, detangling hair..and its dead cheap!

Madora
November 22nd, 2014, 01:34 AM

Yes, Ktani's articles on hair care are fascinating and well researched! She really knows her stuff!

The lady in the video is Heidi W, a long time LHCer (who doesn't post much any more). She had the most beautiful head of hair...golden, shimmering, to her knees. I saw her comb it out once...quite a vision. Oiling is used by quite a few LHCers to great effect..but you have to do it judiciously and not use gobs of it hoping for quicker results! Less is more! If you find after your initial use that your hair is responding to the oiling, fine. If its not, then try a little more..or perhaps change the type of oil you are using. You need to be careful with oils as some are way heavier than others. Mineral Oil is the most lightweight and does a great job of protecting ends, taming frizzies, detangling hair..and its dead cheap!

Elizabeth E
May 16th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Yes, I mix mine together a lot. And like Madora said, you have to find out the right types of oil and quantities that your hair likes. I like coconut or olive oil on my scalp, but a little castor oil on the ends since it doesn't make them as stringy.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Why not. You can mix carrier oils in all kinds of ways you want! This is a 2014 thread, BTW. ;)

blushy
May 16th, 2018, 10:11 AM
mixing coconut oil and olive oil is my favorite oil treatment! I do it all the time and my hair feels really nice afterwards!

Dark40
May 16th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Yes, you can mix any type of oils you wish. :D

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I haven't mixed these two in particular, but have mixed plenty of oils in the past with no problems :)

*Wednesday*
May 16th, 2018, 06:29 PM
It's not plutonium and acid. Sure. Go for it. ☺

DryadicSeaNymph
May 16th, 2018, 06:39 PM
It's not plutonium and acid. Sure. Go for it. ☺

:rollin: love it