PDA

View Full Version : New climate, new hair... Advice for HI?

Mishka_84
September 26th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've just finished my move to Hawai'i, and find myself with completely new hair. My shampoo that was so wonderful in Georgia is way too dry for here. And when I think I have my hair figured out, we go to the beach and it's a whole new mess.

The climate here is about half as humid as Columbus GA, but I'm closer to the mountains so it rains almost every day; I have about an hour a day with high humidity. The saltwater is really drying out my hair too. The days we go to the beach my hair literally soaks up conditioner afterwords. And the wind!!! the wind almost never stops; when I put my hair up I get blown around so much I look like a frizzball!

Does anyone have advice on haircare in this type of environment? Or anyone who lives here have a good routine?

Shell
September 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM
When I spend time in Hawaii, I bun and braid a lot. I also end up oiling quite a bit. For salt water swimming I just braid and pin, but my hair doesn't mind salt water--I just rinse with clear water afterward. I do know that others oil or soak their hair in conditioner before putting it up for the water--have you tried that?

Also, is the water different? I had a lot of bad hair days on my last vacation in Colorado. The water was different, and my products weren't well suited to it, and the lack of humidity made my hair static-y. I braided a lot and used a curl preserving product for moisture. So you may want to look to trying different products.

Good luck!

snowbear
September 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I bet Manderly would be a great resource for this. I'll send her a link to this thread.

ladyshannonanne
September 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I used a leave in conditioner when I was in Hawaii. It's totally pointless to fix your hair if you're going to be outside at all, huh? I had a friend who went to Oahu on her honeymoon and blew dry her hair straight the first day--which lasted about an hour, since it rains about three times a day, especially in July.

For me, Hawaii was much more humid that what my hair is used to in Southern California. So my hair grew really quickly and was nice and extra wavy. I'm not sure exactly what advice to give you (other than the leave in) since the climate is drier than what you're used to.

dancingbarefoot
September 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well, if you're going to swim in the ocean, you should probably treat your hair somehow.

When I lived in Honolulu, my hair used to get horribly dry after swimming in the ocean. After a while, I started weting my hair down before I went to the beach and then liberally applying coconut oil. Having it already wet and coated with oil seemed to prevent it from soaking up so much saltwater, and then when I got out of the ocean, I immediately rinsed my hair in the public shower (almost all beaches have them next to the restrooms). When I started doing that, my hair was never icky and dried out after swimming.

Angellen
September 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Firstly, congrats on your move!

Now, on with the suggestions. :) Braids and coconut oil. It should be relatively easy to obtain if you don't have any already. Long hair and Hawaiian beaches don't always mix well. My routine for this was simply to oil my hair moderately to heavily, and then braid it. Buns are okay, but when they got wet my hair was very heavy and it wasn't the most comfortable. Personally, I'd rather have my updos fluffed up by the wind than have my hair whip around getting snarled. Of course ymmv, but in my experience updos are the better choice in a high-wind area.

As far as everyday haircare goes, I've always been pretty minimal. Scalp-only 'poo bar wash and 1:10 WV rinse was it for my washing routine, and usually a light misting every couple days with a combination of water, coconut oil, and some BPAL for added scent. Air dry.

Most Importantly: Don't rush it. It should take a while for your hair to transition. Take it as it comes.

manderly
September 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Thanks snowbear, for the page.

Aloha, neighbor.

Well, what can I tell ya.....welcome to Hawaii hair! My hair is simply fascinating to behold when I visit the mainland, it morphs into obedience (that's when I used to blow it out everyday) I had never encountered before in my life!

Friends who grew up here and moved away are startled at how naughty their hair is when they come home to visit.

First thing's first. While at the beach, it's best to put your hair up in some way, shape, or form. The nastiest tangles have been created by a day at the beach. The salt water mixed with the constant trades blowing off the water make for a nice rat's nest. There's nothing much to be done to prevent that, but I can recommend basically leaving the knots alone until you can get into a shower with a bottle of conditioner. You can work the mess out with your fingers or a comb if you have the patience for it.

As for updos, well, that has never been a successful look for me because the tradewinds (hey, it's what we're famous for) are a constant friend. You just can't compete with the constant winds. Even days when there is no wind (we call it Kona weather) tends to be tragic for hair because the humidity levels spike. This is probably a big reason why I don't do updos much.

In my 28 years of life on Oahu, the last year has been the first time that I have loved my hair air-dried. This comes from my routine of CV bars & no-cones......but most importantly, my coconut oil. We have different hair types, so you'll have to experiment to see what works for you, but a healthy dose of coconut oil in my towel-dried hair. I use 5+ drops!!

The coconut oil helps keep your hair from going poof, helps keeping your updos from frizzing out on you, and can even help protect your hair when you go to the beach (go heavy!).

PM me if you want any tips or info on the area :)

ETA: Hawaii's water tends to be on the hard side. If you had soft water in Georgia, that could also be an issue for you.

Angellen
September 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Just wanted to add (manderly's post reminded me) that coconut oil is also good for protecting your hair from the sun.

I prefer wearing my hair in a basic bun (as a daily hairdo, not a beach 'do), because it's easy enough to redo, and with a hairstick takes only a few seconds. That was best for me, because I wouldn't have to worry about my hair whipping into my eyes or mouth or anything. Keep in mind I only started doing this at about mid-back or waist length. Up until MB/waist my hair was almost always down. My hair has only been shorter than BSL once in recent memory, though, so I don't have a lot of suggestions for shorter lengths. It was always wash-n-wear for me. :)

PeaceWithTrees
September 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Tropical Weather is Great For My hair! As a girl in panama, the Humid rain was great for me, thats when my hair was longest...BUT SALTY OCEAN SPRAY! VERY DRYING! What works wonderful for me is JOJOBA OIL. I sujest letting your hair get oily so that when the water in the air starts to make it frizz, the oil will help your hair resist the water!

atlantaz3
September 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Still here in Georgia and am so jealous - six or seven trips to HI - and loved each and every one of them esp. Kauai! Hope your hair settles down for you.

Mishka_84
September 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions!

We went to Waimea Beach yesterday, and I put oil in my hair first. I didn't have any coconut oil, so I used olive oil (we haven't gone grocery shopping since our household goods came). It was better this time. I oiled my hair then pulled it in a tight braid. My hair was still pretty stiff from the salt, but when I rinsed it out it didn't take nearly so much conditioner to get my hair soft again.

So far I haven't had any problems from my tap water. My CV bars are working fine so far as that is concerned, just way too drying in this less humid climate. atlantaz3, you have my sympathy!! The weather might be giving me hair problems here, but I still wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Love Hawaii so much better than Georgia!:D