PDA

View Full Version : Got Uneven Braids?

Madora
November 20th, 2014, 03:36 AM
This might help:Borrow from the thick section of hair and add to the thin section of hair. It helps if your layers are on the long side.
Here's how: if you notice your braids are thicker on one side than the other side, retrace your braiding to where the sides looked ok.
Next, carve out a small section of hair (with your fingernail..or rattail comb) from the section that has the thicker volume of hair and add the small bit of hair you carved out to the section that doesn't have much hair, then braid it in as you would ordinarily.
Continue in this way all the way down the braid..on both sides if you have to.
Tie off with hair friendly elastic. Basically, you are just augmenting the parts of the braid that are skimpy with strands of hair from the sides that have more hair. You will find this method helps a lot in making the braids look normal in all sections so that your braid looks neat all the way down to the end.
In a way, this method is a lot like doing a fishtail braid. With a fishtail braid, you start carefully in small sections, always adding to the center with tiny bits from the right hand side section and the left hand side section. The fishtail braid has a more "woven" appearance than the regular 3 strand braid.
I've used this "strand borrowing" technique a lot, especially since at times my fingers just won't cooperate and section the 3 strands correctly (arthritis ugh!). With the sectioning technique, I can pull off a decent braid, even if my fingers won't cooperate the usual way!

lapushka
November 20th, 2014, 06:58 AM
This might help:Borrow from the thick section of hair and add to the thin section of hair. It helps if your layers are on the long side.
Here's how: if you notice your braids are thicker on one side than the other side, retrace your braiding to where the sides looked ok.
Next, carve out a small section of hair (with your fingernail..or rattail comb) from the section that has the thicker volume of hair and add the small bit of hair you carved out to the section that doesn't have much hair, then braid it in as you would ordinarily.
Continue in this way all the way down the braid..on both sides if you have to.
Tie off with hair friendly elastic. Basically, you are just augmenting the parts of the braid that are skimpy with strands of hair from the sides that have more hair. You will find this method helps a lot in making the braids look normal in all sections so that your braid looks neat all the way down to the end.
In a way, this method is a lot like doing a fishtail braid. With a fishtail braid, you start carefully in small sections, always adding to the center with tiny bits from the right hand side section and the left hand side section. The fishtail braid has a more "woven" appearance than the regular 3 strand braid.
I've used this "strand borrowing" technique a lot, especially since at times my fingers just won't cooperate and section the 3 strands correctly (arthritis ugh!). With the sectioning technique, I can pull off a decent braid, even if my fingers won't cooperate the usual way!

I used to "fiddle" with my braids like that for the sole reason that I could make the braid longer that way. It's a great method!

spidermom
November 20th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I get this a lot near the middle of my braids because of layering. I used to try to equalize, but lately I haven't bothered since I usually pin my braids up anyway. Braids left down get massive tangles.

Sharysa
November 20th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I do this SO much. My hair is thick, so even if the strands start out even, one strand will end up thinner than the others because it just ran out sooner than the other two strands did.

As an added trick, I found out it looks especially good if you make sure you make sure the thick strand is always in the center before you borrow from it. It follows the wrapping pattern of the main braid.

TrapperCreekD
November 20th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I love this, it works every time!

Nadine <3
November 20th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I've tried doing this, but my braid always ends up with a twist in it when I do.

mira-chan
November 21st, 2014, 07:57 PM
I've tried doing this, but my braid always ends up with a twist in it when I do.

Try grabbing the extra hair from a different strand than you normally do when you try this. I get this twist too if I grab from one strand vs. another. I'm blanking on which one it is now though, sorry for lack of better explanation.