PDA

View Full Version : How long with trims/cuts?

MissPetite2010
November 19th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering how long you guys go before getting trims or cut? I usually wait a while, most of the time, because of bad haircut experiences in the past. I'll probably wait until Jan before getting my hair trimmed a half an inch... no more. lol The last time I had it cut was in April, besides trimming my bangs myself. I know I'm in need of a trim soon, but sometimes when it comes to hair, I wonder if it's best to wait... :)

Sophiatrist
November 20th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Hey everyone, I was wondering how long you guys go before getting trims or cut?
It probably all depends on what your goals are. My last cut was February 2010, last trim (except for bangs) about 3 years ago and my bangs have been growing out for two years.

höpönasu
November 20th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I set myself goals so I won't trim off my growth. :laugh: I dust/trim whenever I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with my ends, and rest of the time just bite my lip and set another goal. :D Avoid trimming too much except if you're maintaining (so you won't get overwhelmed because your hair 'isn't' growing).

Madora
November 20th, 2014, 03:44 AM
It's been over 2 years since my last trim. I just was meh about trimming since I actively S and D every week.

I'd say trim slightly (a half inch) every 4 months. Have you tried Feye's self trimming method? Easy to do, and there is more than one way to do it (blunt or with a slight U hemline).

If you prefer to have a salon do the trim, then be SURE the cutter understands your desires. Don't tell her what you want! SHOW her, with a tape measure/ruler, exactly how much you want trimmed off. It is your hair..you are the customer. You are paying her. Don't let her try and convince you that you need more trimmed off. You should never be at the mercy of a hair scissors harpy (not saying that it will happen, but there are so many unhappy tales here about hairdressers who ruined hair because they thought they knew better than their clients!). Good luck! ETA: link to Feye's self trim method: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Selkie-
November 20th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Every six months - I like an even hemline. :)

arr
November 20th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Once a year. When I decide its long enough and I want to maintain (whenever that is) then twice a year.

spidermom
November 20th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I used to get a trim every 3 months without fail. However, I've decided that I want to grow as long as my hair will grow, so I haven't had a haircut since March, except for a tiny trim I did myself because I noticed a few hairs that were noticeably longer than the rest. I don't want a very thin and straggly-looking hem.

Johannah
November 20th, 2014, 08:39 AM
When I notice damage or when my ends are getting thin.

amanda_the_tall
November 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I've grown out my hair by not getting any trims/cuts before. This was also when I grew it out with dye though, so it was not in optimal condition. This go around I am planning on getting the front evened up with the back at APL (I had an angled bob), then getting more regular trims. I think regular trims might help my fine hair look thicker/healthier as it's also super thin. I'm not sure how often I want to trim though, maybe two or three times a year. Although it will slow down the growing process, maintaining healthy ends will make me feel better about my hair in the end.

Catatafish
November 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I get my hair dusted about twice a year at the moment. I've been meaning to buy a nice pair of scissors so I can S&D, but I'm confused about how much I need to spend to get a decent pair, so I haven't gotten around to it. I'm not particular about it though. I just leave it until I notice a couple of splits ends, and figure I should probably get them snipped off.

Gertrude
November 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I get my ends dusted every three months. I like my hemline to look full as my hair is so fine, and also I do find that dusting keeps all split ends from the ends of my hair. I still get them in the front down the length, on the finest hair, but the 1/4 inch dusting keeps my hemline split-free. A lifetime first for me. I get the trims at a George Michael, not the singer, salon, so really no anxiety.

molljo
November 20th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I'm on a twice a year schedule (June and December) for a salon trim. I have a bad history of taking my feelings out on my hair with scissors, which isn't great for a number of reasons, and giving myself a strict schedule helps me to cope.

RubyTuesday
November 20th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I'm on a twice a year schedule (June and December) for a salon trim. I have a bad history of taking my feelings out on my hair with scissors, which isn't great for a number of reasons, and giving myself a strict schedule helps me to cope.

I take my feelings out on my hair too. I used to cut or dye whenever something major had happened or I was feeling dissatisfied with life in general.

I gave myself a little trim at the beginning of September, but prior to that I have only given myself a couple of other little trims since March 2012. I think I will go to the hairdressers in Feb/March as I really need the back of my hair sorting out and evening up. Don't want to lose the length but it is crying out for a tidy up.

Begemot
November 20th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I'm thinking about having a trim twice a year from now on. Past couple of years I have gone with no trims to trimming several times a month and having maybe couple of months in between of big cuts. Now I would like to see if I can grow decent hemline with only two trims in a year. I will micro trim if my ends look/feel like they need it.

jtl45
November 20th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I typically get my ends only trimmed about every 4 months to maintain health. I am all one length and mid butt length for many years now and have reached my desired length.
Jim :)

Wosie
November 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Well, the last couple of months I've been trimming whenever I felt like it. :p I have a few inches of layers left, and I have 'allowed' myself to cut as much/often as I want until I've reached the shortest layer (i.e. when my whole hemline is blunt). I'm doing it quite slowly, though, I was never a "quickly rip the band-aid off so that it's done with" kind of person. :o I'd say I cut half an inch every other month, or a little more often than that.

Once my hemline is as full and blunt as can be I will still continue to regularly micro-trim as I love cutting hair and I love me a blunt and tidy hemline. I'm OK with cutting regularly, as I have a pleasing growth rate (in my eyes) anyway. :) I know I will get to my goal, I don't feel like rushing there without enjoying the journey. 8-)

lapushka
November 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering how long you guys go before getting trims or cut? I usually wait a while, most of the time, because of bad haircut experiences in the past. I'll probably wait until Jan before getting my hair trimmed a half an inch... no more. lol The last time I had it cut was in April, besides trimming my bangs myself. I know I'm in need of a trim soon, but sometimes when it comes to hair, I wonder if it's best to wait... :)

I haven't had it trimmed since early November 2013. So that's a little more than a year of no trimming now. I've gone longer before, but this time I'm doing another year of no trimming, hoping to reach classic length by Christmas 2015. :)

Fericera
November 20th, 2014, 02:44 PM
The longest I went without a trim was two and a half years I believe. I'd recommend doing it more often than that, but I didn't really have any splits after that time, so it can be done.

QMacrocarpa
November 20th, 2014, 08:16 PM
My hair is prone to splits and breakage (and I don't S&D), so a twice-a-year self-trimming schedule works well for me. I set up repeating reminders in my online calendar, so I get an email every six months nudging me that it's time for a trim. If I go much longer than that, I start noticing short bits breaking off when I detangle, but I know some hair is a lot more resilient. I generally trim just a tiny amount, on the theory that if it turns out that it isn't enough, I can always trim a bit more. At the moment though, my two-years-post-shed ends are so very thin and wispy that I did a bigger trim than usual most recently, so I wouldn't just be trimming my 12 longest hairs or so (my ends were feeling pretty rough).

hypersensitive
November 20th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Twice a year for me, but I keep forgetting. I only cut about 1/2 to 1 inch off. I S&D regularly so the trim is mostly to keep an even hemline, not to prevent split ends. Note that trimming this little so infrequently is meant for virgin hair that aligns itself with LHC hair care standards where the goal is to grow long healthy hair.

Ingrid
November 20th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I went without a trim for a year a half and ended up with fairytale ends which were rather damaged. Now I'm trying to grow and get rid of dye damage at the same time. I'm doing this by micro-trimming every month. I plan to stop trimming once all the damaged hair is gone, and reassess from there. I doubt I'll need to trim often because my natural hair is quite resilient.

LauraLongLocks
November 20th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I decided I like frequent microtrims. For the last few months I have been taking off 5 mm a month, but for the next two years I'm planning 5 mm every two months instead because I have some length goals I hope to attain in the next two years.

darklyndsea
November 21st, 2014, 12:31 AM
I last got a trim in spring/summer of 2011. My ends are starting to get really splitty, so I'm planning to get a trim whenever I get around to it.

mira-chan
November 21st, 2014, 08:08 PM
I'm maintaining now so I trim every 2-3 months until my ends thicken up. I've gone 3+ years without a trim before and before that I'd get a largish trim every year or two.

embee
November 21st, 2014, 08:23 PM
I think my last scissors encounter was in July 2005, right before I found LHC. It was bad. So I put away the scissors and put my hair up.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 21st, 2014, 09:03 PM
I just read George Michael's book this afternoon and he recommends small trims every two months to keep the ends even and tidy for anyone still growing hair, as opposed to maintaining. He doesn't say how much should be trimmed, but for me I would think a quarter inch would be fine.... I may just try this next year.