PDA

View Full Version : scalp acting weird

amanda_the_tall
November 19th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Hi guys,
Lately my scalp has been acting like it's dry/angry. However, my oil production seems to be at its normal volume (as in, my hair is oily within 16-24 hours after I wash it). I've tried doing scalp massages lately, but I've noticed my scalp feels... sore? It feels as if there are little tiny scabs, but I can't see them. When I try to run my fingers over the top it feels warm/hot, especially on the top and sides of my scalp. It also looks pink, but I can't remember if it's always been pink, or if I'm just freaking out because of the weird hot sensation lately.
(TMI kinda gross part)
Sometimes when I'm massaging I'll loosen these little tiny white balls. They're not flakes, but pin -needle-tip size little things. I'm guessing dry skin or scabs ??? I don't know.
(end TMI gross part)

I've never had dandruff, but lately I have been using sulfate shampoos regularly again (as in the past 5 or 6 months I believe). I know that sulfates trigger my eczema on my body, so I'm wondering if my scalp might have become sensitive to them too? It just feels hot right now, like a super mild sunburn maybe. I've tried putting some apricot kernel oil on my scalp and hair last week, it didn't seem to hurt anything. I also tried putting some panacea on it as well, but it made my hair stiff when it dried (I really globbed it on) so that made my scalp mad when I had to move the hair to rinse it out the next day.

Right now I'm alternating between a volumizing shampoo (Aussie, which I have used before... but haven't in a long time. It's the newest shampoo I've been using) and Suave green apple shampoo. I've also been using the Suave lavender lilac conditioner.
I've ordered some shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley, but I'm nervous to try them again (I used them last year for a bit) because if my scalp is mad I don't want to make it worse, but the soap might be better for it than the SLS? I'm thinking about doing an acid rinse such as ACV, or lemon juice, and then maybe some coconut oil on my scalp, if that might help. After dealing with crazy sensitive skin on my body for years though, I just might cry if my scalp decides to be idiotic as the rest of my skin. Of course it's not the end of the world, but as anyone with allergies/eczema/dry skin knows, it's just frustrating to deal with.

amanda_the_tall
November 19th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Update: I just globbed on a lot of coconut oil, and I could see a couple of red spots on my scalp. One I know is a sore, another looks like a red freckle (those are so weird) and there were a few that just looked like irritated skin, no bump or anything. The coolness of the oil is making my scalp feel less hot on top. The sides and back feel kinda weird still but my hair is thicker there so it was harder to get the oil down to the scalp.

Rowdy
November 20th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Did the soreness start after you started the massages? If so, it could be that your scalp is just not used to so much stimulation, especially if you have sensitive skin.

amanda_the_tall
November 20th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Did the soreness start after you started the massages? If so, it could be that your scalp is just not used to so much stimulation, especially if you have sensitive skin.

I actually can't remember when the soreness started exactly... It's been about two weeks maybe? I've done scalp massages on and off for a while, I'm not sure if that would contribute or maybe it's residue from petting our dog (I'm allergic, but only break out if her fur touches my face/ my hands touch my face).

Panth
November 20th, 2014, 01:16 AM
There are a variety of scalp conditions and they are best diagnosed by a doctor as sometimes the presentation can be similar. Oil treatments can be very helpful if it is a dry skin sort of problem (eczema, xerosis) but actively harmful if there is a fungal component to the problem (e.g. as in seborrheic dermatitis) as it will give temporary relief but will boost fungal growth.

If you are concerned, I'd try cutting out sulphates (yes, if your body skin can't tolerate it it's very likely that your scalp can't either - in my case, my scalp can't tolerate sulphates and nor can my gums (there are sulphates in most toothpastes)). Sulphates are contraindicated in people who have eczema (http://www.eczema.org/aqeous) anyway. If you want to be sulphate-free, you absolutely do not have to use soap / shampoo bars instead (indeed, some shampoo bars, e.g. Lush's, contain sulphates). You can look for shampoos with non-sulphate cleansers, e.g. cocoamidopropyl betaine, as the principle cleanser.

JustPam
November 20th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I have a similar scalp problem, oily, with rough dry feeling skin, white grainy stuff rather than flakes, hot and inflamed feeling, but nothing really visible. I use a spray with camomile tea, ACV and lemon essential oil which helps cool and soothe it, but I've not been using it long enough to know if it is healing the scalp, but it should, in theory anyway.

I put one camomile teabag in a normal sized mug, filled with boiling water to about half an inch from the top, let it sit for a few hours, binned the teabag, poured it into a measuring jug and added an equal amount of ACV (ended up with about 250ml total), poured some of this into a 100ml spray bottle and the rest into an empty clean shampoo bottle for now, put 5 drops of lemon EO into the spray and use it after a wash once my hair is dry enough to section, I section into 4 parts, top, back and sides and do one section at a time in roughly 0.5-1" strips, spraying up and down the parting. Once it's all done I let it all loose, flip my hair upside-down and just lightly massage it all into the scalp with my fingers, and just let it dry.

amanda_the_tall
November 20th, 2014, 09:17 AM
There are a variety of scalp conditions and they are best diagnosed by a doctor as sometimes the presentation can be similar. Oil treatments can be very helpful if it is a dry skin sort of problem (eczema, xerosis) but actively harmful if there is a fungal component to the problem (e.g. as in seborrheic dermatitis) as it will give temporary relief but will boost fungal growth.

If you are concerned, I'd try cutting out sulphates (yes, if your body skin can't tolerate it it's very likely that your scalp can't either - in my case, my scalp can't tolerate sulphates and nor can my gums (there are sulphates in most toothpastes)). Sulphates are contraindicated in people who have eczema (http://www.eczema.org/aqeous) anyway. If you want to be sulphate-free, you absolutely do not have to use soap / shampoo bars instead (indeed, some shampoo bars, e.g. Lush's, contain sulphates). You can look for shampoos with non-sulphate cleansers, e.g. cocoamidopropyl betaine, as the principle cleanser.
Ah. I was wondering if they'd be ok to use as I had ordered some. I'm thinking it's just weird dry skin, as the rest of my skin is prone to being weird too. So far it doesn't feel itchy, I really think it's just from SLS as today it doesn't feel hot anymore (haven't washed yet).

I have a similar scalp problem, oily, with rough dry feeling skin, white grainy stuff rather than flakes, hot and inflamed feeling, but nothing really visible. I use a spray with camomile tea, ACV and lemon essential oil which helps cool and soothe it, but I've not been using it long enough to know if it is healing the scalp, but it should, in theory anyway.

I put one camomile teabag in a normal sized mug, filled with boiling water to about half an inch from the top, let it sit for a few hours, binned the teabag, poured it into a measuring jug and added an equal amount of ACV (ended up with about 250ml total), poured some of this into a 100ml spray bottle and the rest into an empty clean shampoo bottle for now, put 5 drops of lemon EO into the spray and use it after a wash once my hair is dry enough to section, I section into 4 parts, top, back and sides and do one section at a time in roughly 0.5-1" strips, spraying up and down the parting. Once it's all done I let it all loose, flip my hair upside-down and just lightly massage it all into the scalp with my fingers, and just let it dry.

Ooh that sounds really great! I'm allergic to chamomile, but I'm glad you find some relief using it! Right now I just have my hair in a ponytail and slept with coconut oil on my scalp/hair.

Catatafish
November 20th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Sometimes when I'm massaging I'll loosen these little tiny white balls. They're not flakes, but pin -needle-tip size little things. I'm guessing dry skin or scabs ??? I don't know.

I'm sorry I can't help with your main problem, but supposedly those little balls might be a form of sebum. I find them all the time if I run my fingers through my scalp.

amanda_the_tall
November 20th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I'm sorry I can't help with your main problem, but supposedly those little balls might be a form of sebum. I find them all the time if I run my fingers through my scalp.

I find it so confusing, can parts of my scalp create the little balls while the rest just makes more liquid-y oil? It feels like the little tiny bits that pop out when you have a clogged pore that leaves the little hole behind, if that makes any sense.

MadPirateBippy
November 20th, 2014, 11:01 AM
If you have access to a black light (or a lamp with a black lightbulb in it- they're cheap and easy to find in most grocery stores or wall mart), check your scalp under the light. If there's anything glowing, that's a fungal infection. Getting an anti dandruff shampoo or using monistat on your scalp can clear it up!

Catatafish
November 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Ok, this is probably TMI, but I'm going to go for it anyways!

For me, when I scratch my scalp, usually on day 2 or 3 hair, I can feel a tiny hard round thing on my scalp. I think it is usually just underneath my hair root, right beside the skin. I kind of pick them out, but they come out very easily. It doesn't matter if my nails are long or not, I can always get them out. I don't know if they leave a hole or anything, I never check. They don't take a hair out with them.

I used to think that they were old nits when I first started noticing them, because when I was around 12/13 I kept catching head lice off of my best friend who had a much younger sister in primary school. I became of obsessive about checking my hair for lice for a while after that!

Anyways, I know that they aren't nits (I haven't caught head lice in over 14 years), and didn't really think about them until around this time last year. I was lurking on either this site or another hair care one and read that somebody else had the same thing as me, and started investigating. Sadly, I couldn't really find much. I'll post a few links and maybe you'll do better.

I think that it must be possible to get both the little balls and normal oil hair, because my hair definitely gets greasy in the normal way! It does take a little bit longer than my friends though. Some wash every day or two days, and I can easily go three. I was after that though because my scalp starts to get itchy, and that's when I can also find the balls. The fact that it takes longer could be for a lot of other reason too though.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13058

lapushka
November 20th, 2014, 03:56 PM
If you're that oily, I doubt it's dry skin, but... it's your scalp. I'd not oil and try Nizoral shampoo on it. If that doesn't help, please go see a doctor. Better yet, forget about the shampoo and go see a doctor first!

Anje
November 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Well, the obvious question is whether you got a new shampoo or conditioner or anything else (laundry detergent? fabric softener?) about 2 weeks or so ago, when this started. Did the weather change where you are? Did you turn on the heat -- We've had it on for a few weeks here, but it's been running a lot lately and my house is super-dry now. If there's anything you can go back to, try it.

I'll second the chamomile and/or dilute ACV rinses as something to try early on. Might not go to citrus ones, because citrus can be sensitizing in some circumstances. Nizoral would be my choice for a second-line option.

Mira-chan experiences sebum-balls and can probably give you some specific advice with that. What's happening with you doesn't sound quite the same, but they might overlap.

mamaherrera
November 20th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I find those sebum balls stuck to the roots of my hair many times, on the shed hairs!

amanda_the_tall
November 20th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I have been using some new-ish shampoo/conditioner. I've used them before but not in a long time. Right now I've switched to shampoo bars... So I'm hoping that it will resolve itself. I'll give it a couple of weeks and if it doesn't go away I'll see about heading to the doctor... I avoid going as most in our area are useless

mira-chan
November 20th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I find it so confusing, can parts of my scalp create the little balls while the rest just makes more liquid-y oil? It feels like the little tiny bits that pop out when you have a clogged pore that leaves the little hole behind, if that makes any sense.

Well, the obvious question is whether you got a new shampoo or conditioner or anything else (laundry detergent? fabric softener?) about 2 weeks or so ago, when this started. Did the weather change where you are? Did you turn on the heat -- We've had it on for a few weeks here, but it's been running a lot lately and my house is super-dry now. If there's anything you can go back to, try it.

I'll second the chamomile and/or dilute ACV rinses as something to try early on. Might not go to citrus ones, because citrus can be sensitizing in some circumstances. Nizoral would be my choice for a second-line option.

Mira-chan experiences sebum-balls and can probably give you some specific advice with that. What's happening with you doesn't sound quite the same, but they might overlap.
Yup I have dry sebum that doesn't move down the hair shaft and forms a coating on the scalp instead. My scalp is dry and the sebum is hard to remove. I am sensitive to sulfate detergents and get a tender scalp with itchy bleeding sores from it so that could be it for you as well. That new shampoo might have reformulated since you used last. Some maybe the soap bars will help you now. Make sure to follow up with an acid rinse after anything soap based.

I find that most people who complain about the sebum balls as a new thing for them either need to have more omega oils in their diet or changes something in the routine that is causing an imbalance or buildup.

I've had hard sebum/ sebum balls my whole life. For me it may be genetic. What helps me in breaking them up for washing is scalp oiling before the wash as oil dissolves oil (sebum). From chemistry "Like dissolves like." :) Then wash it out after ~2 hours and I find that my scalp lets go of the crud much easier this way.

amanda_the_tall
November 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Mira-chan I should probably incorporate more omegas, since we rarely eat fish/nuts, and it would help my skin too. I feel like I've had the little balls for a long time, but I never find too many, maybe 4 or 5 on my entire head? That's why I'm wondering if it's dead skin instead. Looking at my scalp tonight it still feels weird, and pink, but I used the dreaded shampoo today to clarify before the shampoo bars. I am using an acidic rinse after them as well. Interestingly I didn't notice the hot/sore feeling until a few hours ago. I washed around 3 this afternoon, so it started feeling hot again around 6 or 7 ish. I'm wondering if I should try to clean my shower head too as the main irritation is the top of my head where the water usually hits, but that's also where I would put the most shampoo too. When I gently press on the pink areas it turns from pink back to a normal pale color. I'm hoping it's not a fungal problem as it's just popped up in the past few weeks and the only thing that has changed is the shampoo/conditioner.

amanda_the_tall
November 21st, 2014, 12:03 PM
Well I think I might have found the culprit. I woke up this morning, scalp felt normal, looked normal. I gently ran my fingers over it and no noticeable soreness. Then I hopped in the shower to use my shampoo bar, everything was going good, scalp felt ok with soap and water, then I had the bright idea to put some conditioner in with my lemon juice rinse (noted this is a different conditioner than what I've been using the past week or so, herbal essences. I wanted to add it to give my hair some extra slip and smell). I just put a squirt of it in there, with maybe two tablespoons of lemon juice and a little bit of honey. Well as soon as I put it on my scalp I felt a little itchy-ness. Then my body has started prickly/itchyness, like my back and shoulders and stomach area where the water would run down. I used the plain diluted lemon juice rinse yesterday and there wasn't any itchyness with application. So I'm thinking my skin has finally started revolting against fragrances completely, not just the ones that are directly applied via body wash. I used the Chagrin valley soap on my body (that I also used yesterday with no issue, even on my face) and put on lotion, and still prickly/itchy feeling. So now I guess I'm going to be on a hunt for unscented conditioner... which is lame since I've used their conditioners (even that one) in the past, but I've also had crazy terrible eczema flare ups in the past that I know are triggered by fragrance. Anyone have a good suggestion for unscented conditioners?? :/

Annalouise
November 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM
I think if you have fine hair then you shouldn't use sulphates anyways. I just recently noticed that Jason now has a fragrance free (and gluten free) shampoo and conditioner and face care line.
http://www.jason-personalcare.com/body-loving-products/gluten-free-new

It's difficult finding fragrance free products but Earth Science has some. Also Desert Essence has some. Everyday Shea also has fragrance free.
Who else...Eden Bodyworks has some fragrance free products as well as sheamoisture products (sold at Walmart). And Walgreens sells the 'Free & Clear' shampoo and conditioner.

I can't use fragrance either.

lapushka
November 21st, 2014, 03:14 PM
Are you sure it's not the lemon juice?

amanda_the_tall
November 21st, 2014, 08:48 PM
Are you sure it's not the lemon juice?

I don't think so, since this has been happening for a few weeks now and I wasn't using lemon juice then? I'll try not using it tomorrow, and just put the conditioner on my ends and see if I get any itchies, though. Thanks :)
Annalouise thanks for the suggestions!

amanda_the_tall
November 24th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Update!
Scalp is back to normal! I'm enjoying my shampoo bars very much. Now I'm dealing with oily ends, but I think that has to do with my acidic rinse. Thank you to everyone who posted! :D

mira-chan
November 24th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I'm glad things worked out and you are enjoying your new routine. :)

amanda_the_tall
January 3rd, 2015, 11:04 PM
Another update in case anyone else reads this later. I did shampoo bars for about 3 weeks but got too frustrated trying to fix rinses etc. with it and broken hairs. I switched to Trader Joe's sulfate free shampoo and my scalp and hair have been delighted ever since! Until last week when I was like 'hey let's try sulfates again'. I got a pencil eraser size pimple/sore on the side of my head (thankfully went away very quickly) and the top of my scalp got that sensitive feeling. It's about 95% back to normal now, and I have been using cone/ no cone conditioner with the TJ shampoo, that include fragrance/don't include fragrance, so I've ruled sulfates to be deemed the ultimate evil. This shampoo cleanses so well however I haven't had any problems with buildup at all. I might try a different flavor next time though lol.

lapushka
January 4th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Looks like you found your holy grail product. :D Good for you!!!