PDA

View Full Version : Massive Back Tangle When Sleeping

melilot
November 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM
When I wake up every morning, I always have a huge tangle ball in the back of my head. It sometimes contains more than half my hair of hair, it seems I may be fighting with myself in my sleep most nights haha. The methods described on here for night haircare routines that I've tried so far, silk pillows, pigtail braids and so on have not worked for me. On most nights, I divide my hair into two and braid each side, as my main tangle happens directly in the back of my head, while this helped, it's still happening to some extent.
What hairstyles do you sleep in? Do I really have to resort to wearing a hair cap of some sort? Perhaps moving it higher on my head?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

lapushka
November 19th, 2014, 09:36 AM
A silk sleep cap or pine-appling (putting a ponytail on the very top of your head) might help.

Edelweiss
November 19th, 2014, 09:38 AM
What about a simple cinnamon bun ?
Sometimes braid give me tangles as well

swearnsue
November 19th, 2014, 09:53 AM
After you pigtail braid, put some coney serum on the nape hairs and a little on both sides of the parting in the back. In addition to silk pillowcase.

Also, is the air very dry and static-y in the bedroom? You could add a humidifier.

It is good to find a solution as this will ruin your hair over time.

melilot
November 19th, 2014, 12:27 PM
These are all great ideas, thank you so much! Going to try putting it on top of my head tonight and will look into getting coney serum. I think the airy must be dry and static-y also, humidifier should help too. I spend hours every day untangle this knot and you're right, it seems like it will ruin my whole head of hair over time :(

Panth
November 19th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I always find that pigtails give me massive nape tangles if I sleep with them in. A single braid is the way to go, IMO.

melilot
November 20th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Do you tightly or loosely make the single braid? Also, do you take it out as soon as you wake up?

Johannah
November 20th, 2014, 08:40 AM
The only thing that helps for me, is my sleep cap from SilkyCocoon.

MadPirateBippy
November 20th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Have you tried putting in an oil overnight as well? I don't get sleep tangles when I have coconut oil in my hair, and if it's dry and staticky that could really help.

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I usually finger comb my hair into a "sleeping bun" at the crown of my head. No tangles and nice waves next day to boot. Good luck.

Panth
November 20th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Do you tightly or loosely make the single braid? Also, do you take it out as soon as you wake up?

It's umm ... sort of loose? It's a low, nape plait so the scalp hair is not pulled very tight. However, I have very, very slippery hair so I do the actual crossovers of the length of the plait really quite tightly.

It's my everyday plait from my plaited cinnabun. I comb it out in the morning and re-do it straight away, bun once I get to work as otherwise it won't fit under my cycle helmet. I've not had any damage or anything from repeatedly doing the same style. Sometimes also wear a silk satin sleep cap for added protection when sleeping but mine broke a month or so ago and I've not replaced it yet.

Sharysa
November 20th, 2014, 12:19 PM
You might just be an active sleeper. Try Dutch/French braids to have your pigtails be more secure--it works really well for my hair.

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 05:53 PM
I usually put my hair up in a sleeping braid on the crown of my head. Tangle-free in the am.

melilot
November 21st, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thank you all very much. Never tried any of these before. I realized one huge mistake I was making was that when I woke up, I usually didn't comb my hair or take my braid out upon waking up, that already made a huge difference as any possible small knot that could have been made while sleeping would not be abe to grow in a bigger knot during the day. Might have to cave in for a sleeping cap! Hair oil and sleeping bun attempts are up next.

cat11
November 21st, 2014, 10:41 AM
The only thing that helps for me, is my sleep cap from SilkyCocoon.

Same. Sleeping caps make such a miraculous difference and you can get very cute ones. I will never go back to not using one... no tangles at all, your hair will be as you left it. I usueally make a loose bun, hold it with one hand, and put the cap on with the other hand and my teeth.

If Im ever somewhere where i have forgotten to bring my cap for the night then I put it in a secure bun on the very top of my head. If this is the case i pay attention not to rub my head on the pillow.