PDA

View Full Version : Massive shed after each hair wash

ukrworld
November 18th, 2014, 12:27 PM
How do I deal with it? I only wash now every 4 days, always did every 3, but lately there were some changes which may have caused the increased shedding:
- using coconut oil mask on all hair for an hour before washing with shampoo (no silicones, sulphates etc.);
- moved to an area with much harder water;
- dyed hair on all length twice with henna and indigo.
- tried to clarify with hard water shampoo and conditioner once a week to see if shedding decreases - no go.
Lost .25'' in three weeks in addition to daily shedding of at least 100 hairs. No splits, hair sheds with the bulb.
I am scared.
Why are these normally beneficial methods so harmful to my hair/scalp?

Islandgrrl
November 18th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I don't know why you are experiencing a bigger than normal for you shed. Everyone is different. But if you think it's related to your process/products, try changing things up a bit. Maybe stop the coconut oil mask and see if that changes things. It's easier than trying to change your water, and you can't do anything bout the henna/indigo.

Stressful events often lead to a higher than normal shed rate. Was your move stressful? Try to not be too stressed about the shedding....stress could potentially make things worse. Make sure your diet has adequate nutrients and that you are drinking enough water.

I hope this helps in some small way.

mira-chan
November 18th, 2014, 12:49 PM
For the hard water, try adding a diluted vinegar rinse after the wash.

Some people don't do well with oil on their scalp so that may be an issue.

If neither of those helps then check with your doctor as it might be a hormonal imbalance, thyroid issue, or a deficiency.

lapushka
November 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I would go see a doctor if your circumference is thinning and you are losing more than 100 hairs a day for an extended period of time. More may be up than we can deal with here. Get a blood panel. It's no luxury.

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2014, 01:07 AM
I know one time I had a shed experience when I used a leave in on my scalp. When I stopped it my shed slowed down. I agree on checking your products maybe it's your products.

Chocowalnut
November 19th, 2014, 04:45 AM
I am experiencing this too. Let me know if you find out something that works. No money to go to a doctor here.

harpgal
November 19th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I am also here in Florida (for the winter), and had much more shedding after washing due to the hard water. My hubby installed a water softner in the shower and it really does work!

www.watersticks.com

Hotrox
November 19th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I would return to your hair care routine when your hair wasn't shedding and gradually add back one change at a time. If you return and still find you are shedding then it might be the water but I'm more inclined to think it's the oil or sulphate free poo. Both of these cause my hair to shed more than usual.

ukrworld
November 19th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I would return to your hair care routine when your hair wasn't shedding and gradually add back one change at a time. If you return and still find you are shedding then it might be the water but I'm more inclined to think it's the oil or sulphate free poo. Both of these cause my hair to shed more than usual.
The shampoo I used definitely causes indirect shedding as it's totally natural and doesn't feel like it's foaming, so I use more force trying to lather it up, which in turn pulls the hair out. I am thinking of going back to regular herbal shampoo, just more diluted.
Today I washed my hair very gently. No oil, just a bit of water with a small amount of shampoo diluted in it on scalp, and all natural light conditioner on the length, half the usual amount. Then after hair dried, I finger-combed. The shedding was very small. I figured my hair is so light and fine that when I use heavy oil like coconut, I need to shampoo twice to get rid of it, and my hair doesn't like water and sheds. It also doesn't seem to really need heavy oiling or protein masks for now. So my solution is trying to stretch the washes to every 5-7 days, only wash the scalp (therefore no heavy oiling on the length which will require shampooing), keep using diluted shampoo and maybe try very diluted apple cider vinegar rinse (for some reason my hair smells like vinegar until next wash and it doesn't go away). I don't think I need to clarify as that encourages more shedding for me; also, keep oiling the length lightly with Argan/Moroccan oil (my hair loves it). Also, no more henna and indigo for now, way too much handing and rinsing. Basically, as much neglect as I can stand:) Also, no need to comb every single day twice, as that also encourages shedding. Morning should be enough if hair is up all day. Every time I touch my hair it is encouraged to shed. Guess now I know.
Funny, but before I knew all this information about how to take care of my hair, I only used Moroccan and olive oil on ends and never had a split end in over 2 years, no trims. I didn't do anything other than very occasional hot oil, protein or placenta mask. Maybe for hair so prone to shedding less is more.
Thank you all for your great advice and support.

ukrworld
November 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM
OP here. I was just looking at the 26 hairs I shed after brushing tonight, and I noticed every one of them had a root with a very little monthly growth, like 1-2 mm at the most (I have at least 1'' growth of virgin hair after my last henndigo job a month ago judging by roots color difference). Does that mean I actually only shed terminal hairs since they practically quit growing and were ready to come out? Then no need to worry as long as I shed mostly terminal hair?

alishaxmarie
November 19th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I'm honestly shocked that no one has mentioned that maybe what you're experiencing is a seasonal shed... It is winter and we have been having some cold fronts lately so the air has been extra dry (hello fellow Floridians :toast:) Other than that, I would suspect that your problem is oiling your scalp as many people shed excessively with CO-washing and putting any products besides cleansers on their scalps. Also, I prefer rinsing out my ACV rinses because the acidity caused my scalp to itch once my hair dried when I used to leave the rinse in and it never had that greasy sheen from being over-acidic so I think the dilution ratio was fine but I thought that might help with the smell. There's also citric acid rinses if you really dislike the vinegar scent though

Madora
November 20th, 2014, 04:33 AM
How do I deal with it? I only wash now every 4 days, always did every 3, but lately there were some changes which may have caused the increased shedding:
- using coconut oil mask on all hair for an hour before washing with shampoo (no silicones, sulphates etc.);
- moved to an area with much harder water;
- dyed hair on all length twice with henna and indigo.
- tried to clarify with hard water shampoo and conditioner once a week to see if shedding decreases - no go.
Lost .25'' in three weeks in addition to daily shedding of at least 100 hairs. No splits, hair sheds with the bulb.
I am scared.
Why are these normally beneficial methods so harmful to my hair/scalp?

On the face of it: Ditch the coconut mask. Concentrate on cleansing the scalp with diluted gentle shampoo. Be careful how you shampoo. Do not scrub, use a lot of pressure with your finger pads! You can be thorough yet gentle when cleansing your scalp. (And don't use a ton of product. It only takes more time to rinse out, and more opportunities for mechanical damage later when you try to detangle.

Clarifying weekly is asking for major damage! Only clarify when you've got too much product buildup! Clarifying really works..but it also strips your hair of everything on it, leaving it like hay (which is precisely what it is supposed to do). Follow your clarifying shampoo with a conditioning treatment to restore your hair properly.

As for the type of hairs you are shedding: I have no idea. I shed both types..old and new. Less than 50 when brushing. A little more when shampooing.

I would also strongly advise that you comb your hair every day. Not only is this good for your scalp, but it removes any dead hair still mixed in with the living strands, thus reducing the possibility of creating a snarl or a mat. Every ounce of prevention you can take with regard to your hair is worth it!

Also, your scalp does not need to be inundated with oils. It has its own special PH balance and that balance should not be disturbed by putting oil on it. If you must oil, then oil your hair...and do it sparingly and not every day. The more you load down your hair with stuff, the faster it becomes dank and dirty and need shampooing.

Also, be cautious about the type of oil that you use! Not all are beneficial. See the link to Ktani's article on "The Drying Capacities of Oil" (from Ktani's Hairsense BlogSpot)http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

ukrworld
November 20th, 2014, 07:29 AM
On the face of it: Ditch the coconut mask. Concentrate on cleansing the scalp with diluted gentle shampoo. Be careful how you shampoo. Do not scrub, use a lot of pressure with your finger pads! You can be thorough yet gentle when cleansing your scalp. (And don't use a ton of product. It only takes more time to rinse out, and more opportunities for mechanical damage later when you try to detangle.

Clarifying weekly is asking for major damage! Only clarify when you've got too much product buildup! Clarifying really works..but it also strips your hair of everything on it, leaving it like hay (which is precisely what it is supposed to do). Follow your clarifying shampoo with a conditioning treatment to restore your hair properly.

As for the type of hairs you are shedding: I have no idea. I shed both types..old and new. Less than 50 when brushing. A little more when shampooing.

I would also strongly advise that you comb your hair every day. Not only is this good for your scalp, but it removes any dead hair still mixed in with the living strands, thus reducing the possibility of creating a snarl or a mat. Every ounce of prevention you can take with regard to your hair is worth it!

Also, your scalp does not need to be inundated with oils. It has its own special PH balance and that balance should not be disturbed by putting oil on it. If you must oil, then oil your hair...and do it sparingly and not every day. The more you load down your hair with stuff, the faster it becomes dank and dirty and need shampooing.

Also, be cautious about the type of oil that you use! Not all are beneficial. See the link to Ktani's article on "The Drying Capacities of Oil" (from Ktani's Hairsense BlogSpot)http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

Great advice, everyone was so helpful and gave me a lot of ideas to think of, thank you!