PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to imitate this style without elastics?

mamaherrera
November 18th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I like to have my hair go out to the sides as I have a long face, so I don't want to make poofs or volume on top, but rather to the sides. I used to do to side ponytails (half ups) and then do the whole "make a whole and put stuff the ponytail through the whole (inverted ponytail). But now I don't want to use elastics like that. Anyone other similar styles that are easy and don't involve such things?

mira-chan
November 18th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Try rolling the sides, then you can pin the ends of those with a bobby pin if needed and then do the rest of your hair style. You can also braid some french, dutch or lace braids loosely instead of ponytails.

Vanilla
November 18th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I agree with Mira-chan. Loosely braiding and twisting the sides (maybe with a lace braid) would help give you that effect without elastics (though you'd probably have to put one at the end of the braid).

mamaherrera
November 18th, 2014, 12:04 PM
thanks, now I've gotta learn how to do a lace braid--going to youtube as I speak!

Islandgrrl
November 18th, 2014, 12:28 PM
What about side combs to lift the hair back and secure it? It's worked well in the past for me!

mamaherrera
November 19th, 2014, 02:17 PM
thanks everyone. And what about those small elastics, the plasticky ones, are those ok??

Anje
November 19th, 2014, 02:39 PM
thanks everyone. And what about those small elastics, the plasticky ones, are those ok??
Varies a lot by person. I can't use the clear silicone ones, but I have luck with the colorful "poly" type. I suspect some people have the exact opposite of that, or both, or neither.

ETA: I stick to them for braid-enders, though. I wouldn't expect them to fare well on a ponytail.

mira-chan
November 19th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I've never used those but I've seen a couple people use them no problem while others had breakage and tangling from them. So your mileage may vary with those. I'd say you'd be ok if you don't wear them constantly and vary their position. Many also take them out by cutting them instead of pulling them off, to be gentler on the hair.

spidermom
November 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM
A little bit of face-framing layering might help.