PDA

View Full Version : Umm... Why did my hair turn curly?

FallingDarkness
November 17th, 2014, 09:05 PM
No products. No new wash cycle. No new way of drying my hair. Just let it air dry, and blammo. I have a wave pattern that's so wavy that I have some actual curls.
Um, what?
As a kid my hair was a 1b, and then I hit 6th grade or so and my hair went all 2a on me. And I've been a solid 2a for a while now.
As my hair gets longer shouldn't my hair get straighter?? SO confuzzled.

Ingrid
November 17th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Maybe it's the humidity? Hair tends to curl a little more when it's more humid.

moontree
November 17th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Do you brush your hair or comb it? My hair was just a little wavy when I brushed it, for years, and this year after letting some damage grow out I discovered that if I let it air dry without brushing it, there were wurls and curls. Now I comb with a wide toothed comb only once my hair is dry and they stay. Kinda weird to have a whole new texture to work with, but fun too?

Rushli
November 18th, 2014, 12:24 AM
I have read of at least one other person who's hair got curlier as it go longer.

Johannah
November 18th, 2014, 12:50 AM
My hair went from 1b to 2a after waist length and good care. Maybe your hair is just healthier and this is its reaction ;)

browneyedsusan
November 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM
You're 17. My best guess is that your hair is morphing into adult form, along with the rest of you.
Brace for continued texture/color changes until your mid-20's. If you have children, it may go through a few more contortions!

My hair went from strawberry blonde to medium ash brown. Every trace of red ashed out. (Henna makes me feel pretty, though!)

Hotrox
November 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Mine gets curlier with length. It's almost like it needs more length to do a full turn on itself, if that makes sense!!

Hormones can also change hair texture. I was ruler straight until puberty, and also got curlier postpartum. Weather too, and protein rich products ping my curls up a notch.

Honestly, with wavy/curly hair no day is ever the same :o

Hotrox
November 18th, 2014, 05:06 AM
You're 17. My best guess is that your hair is morphing into adult form, along with the rest of you.
Brace for continued texture/color changes until your mid-20's. If you have children, it may go through a few more contortions!

My hair went from strawberry blonde to medium ash brown. Every trace of red ashed out. (Henna makes me feel pretty, though!)

Haha, we both wrote the same ideas at the same time!!

lapushka
November 18th, 2014, 05:14 AM

Yes, full-on puberty - hormones do matter. I went from 1b sleek silky smooth hair to frizzy waves during puberty. I kept treating it the same, though. Took me to well into my thirties to realize that my hair wasn't straight anymore. Bless places like this forum for that.

browneyedsusan
November 18th, 2014, 05:26 AM
@Hotrox, Lapushka: Great minds think alike!

I agree that TLHC is a wonderful help.
If I'd had TLHC back then, I would have been braced for my hair to change color and had henna to compensate. I spent a lot of years a little sad about my "new" hair, so pixied and colored to keep it interesting.

mira-chan
November 18th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Same as others said, better care and aging/hormones.

My hair went from 1c to 2a at the end of my teens and started growing in as 2b in my mid 20's. I still have a few inches of 2a hair on the ends left that's messing with my wave pattern.

Sharysa
November 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah, puberty does a number on a lot of people.

My hair probably turned wavy when I started high school, because the photos of when I was little have straight hair, and I had a HORRIBLE time trying to straighten it in high school.

door72067
November 18th, 2014, 01:01 PM
my hair went from stick straight to curly in my early 20's...it happens lol

GetMeToWaist
November 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM
My hair was a feather-fine, thin 3a as a little kid, then a 2a when I was about 10, and then when I was about 13 it suddenly became a firm 2b, very thick and much more coarse. Now it's a 2b/c M/C iii. I would be more inclined to call it a 2c nowadays, its getting curlier as it gets longer. When my hair is short, it's nearly straight.

FallingDarkness
November 18th, 2014, 04:31 PM
OH WOW. I'm really glad to see that this isn't just some strange phenomenon that just affects me. I really like curly hair, so I was pleasantly surprised, but you know, I <3 my waves too. :P
Thanks to all for your fantastic explanations!

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Definitely hormones. My hair was straight and medium blond and got darker and waiver with each child. It never lightens up or straightened again. I have learned to love it.

betterhairday
November 23rd, 2014, 08:15 AM
When you find out how please let me know - my hair is DEAD STRAIGHT and I would love to have your hair!

lapushka
November 23rd, 2014, 02:56 PM
When you find out how please let me know - my hair is DEAD STRAIGHT and I would love to have your hair!

You could always get a perm. ;)

betterhairday
January 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Frightened, last time I attempted a perm was way back in 1990 - fried my hair!

M-L-E
January 19th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Seconding moontree! My hair looks so flat and straight if I comb it through whilst wet, but if I leave it to air dry first, I get quite wavy hair, particularly on the healthier, longer layers underneath. Shorter hair doesn't necessarily mean more curls, sometimes wave patterns only start to happen after a certain length:) As the others have already said, puberty/hormones can really change things up too- made my hair thicker (thank goodness)

truepeacenik
January 19th, 2015, 09:47 AM
:tbear:
:justy:

MINAKO
January 19th, 2015, 10:17 AM
i had solid 3b spirals in my underlayer as a kid that has grown out only after my teen years, at about 19 my hair got much more of a relaxed yet frizzy wave. since im trying get it straight anyways and use keratin i cant really tell at this point, but i definitely jumped about 2-3 category on the scale without doing anything. duh, i can only hope nature finds a way to get me growing a solid 1a in the future. :)

darklyndsea
January 19th, 2015, 10:22 AM
My hair gets curly at the ends as soon as it reaches approximately classic.

lapushka
January 19th, 2015, 10:27 AM
:tbear:
:justy:

Thanks for making me LOL. :lol:

missblueeyes
January 19th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I think my hair is doing the same right now. I was a 1a / b as a young teen and somehow, my hair morphed into something more wavy over the years, which I'm not sure how to classify yet. My father has the same kind of texture only with less hair so I guess my hair is changing to its adult form now. :grin: Which also means that my colour is morphing into a darker blondette, which I hope will get more blonde streaks in the summer. :)