PDA

View Full Version : I overcame the cold!

majesticgoldenr
November 16th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I've heard rinsing with cold water is good and bad, but when I wash, I like to do it and have had no ill effects....

Since it's getting cold, I wanted to share that today I found out how to rinse successfully. (I don't mind being in cold water, but don't like being cold so im happy at least)

When the water is still hot, fill your mouth us with water as much as you can....
Then turn it to cold and standing under the water, slowly spit out the warm water.

Worked for me and I could take more than the average 10 seconds (or whatever) of cold water. Yea :)

Sarahlabyrinth
November 16th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Must try this......................

spirals
November 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM
OK, haha--didn't know if you meant the common cold or had some advice on which scarves and gloves to get. LOL

tokugawa.miyako
November 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM
This is so random.... but I'm willing to try it out....

Wavelength
November 16th, 2014, 06:48 PM
An easier way to do it is to bring a pitcher of cold water into the shower. Step out of the hot water, pour the pitcher over your head, step back into the hot water but keep your hair clear of the spray.

I don't like fiddling with the taps in my house much as the water can turn from cold to scalding hot very fast! :scared:

Nadine <3
November 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Haha! I keep an old body wash bottle filled with bottled water, a sploosh of ACV, and a few drops of essential oil and use that as my final rinse. I'm able to rinse my head in the cool bottled water without sacrificing my hot water :p

mira-chan
November 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM
When I did cold water rinses, I just dunked my head in a basin of cold water. My head can stand a lot more cold water than my body (muscle seize up, ouch).

mindwiped
November 17th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I wait to rinse the last of my conditioner until the very end of my shower, and when I'm at that point, I stand in the place in the shower that is as far as humanly possible away from the shower head. Then I turn it to cold. Then I do a weird back bend, using the shower rail to prevent slips, and only dunk my head from the forehead up in the water. I am able to rinse my length, but that may become more difficult as I gain more length, I'm just at BSL right now, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I hate to flip my hair, and rinse from the neck upwards, because I'm a wavy/loose curly, and trying to flip it back and style is more trouble than is worth it for a cold rinse.

GetMeToWaist
November 17th, 2014, 02:52 AM
This is cool! But i just cant do a cold rinse, its waaaay too uncomfortable... I think my skin must be really thin or something because i cant STAND any cold.

purplevickie
November 17th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Haha! I keep an old body wash bottle filled with bottled water, a sploosh of ACV, and a few drops of essential oil and use that as my final rinse. I'm able to rinse my head in the cool bottled water without sacrificing my hot water :p

That is genius... it never occurred to me that an ACV rinse doesn't have to be freshly made!

Bene
November 17th, 2014, 03:10 AM
I'm always confused by these issues. Like, why do people have these kinds of problems in the first place?

I just arch and lean backwards into the water so just my head is under the spray, if I want to just do something to my head but not the rest. Body does not get wet. Also, I don't think it has to be cold cold water, just cool if you're going to bother at all. This really depends on whether or not you agree that a cold water rinse is useful in the first place.

Another one that confuses me is "How to shower without washing my hair or getting my hair wet?" But isn't the human neck flexible enough that you can get your body wet without having to stand there with you head directly under the showerhead? Also, SHOWER CAPS.

Oh AND, I remember some time ago, like someone was talking about how their mom was passive aggressive because she was in the shower washing her hair and asked the mom to heat up apple cider vinegar on the stove, for a rinse. But the mom boiled it and it was too hot to use. And I'm like why did it need to be heated up in the first place? Get a big cup, put in the desired vinegar in advance and set it aside. Then when it's rinse time, fill the rest of the cup up with the water coming out of the shower head at that moment, with the desired temperature.

lapushka
November 17th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Cold rinses never did anything for me. I never noticed a difference, so it's just not worth it for me. :shrug: Maybe it's because I have wavy hair and shine doesn't show as much on that texture anyway.

Bene
November 17th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Cold rinses never did anything for me. I never noticed a difference, so it's just not worth it for me. :shrug: Maybe it's because I have wavy hair and shine doesn't show as much on that texture anyway.

Old thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33266) where people talked about whether or not cold rinses even made a difference.

Also, when I google "cold rinse for hair", tons of articles pop up but a lot of them are using pseudo-science or anecdotes to back up their claims that a final cold rinse does anything. We need a real science lab to get on this, because I'm not finding legitimate evidence nor reasonable inference to back up the claims. Just, "well cold water does this and hot water does this and it must do the same to hair cuticles" but no real facts.

The hair world needs a Bill Nye.

mira-chan
November 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Old thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33266) where people talked about whether or not cold rinses even made a difference.

Also, when I google "cold rinse for hair", tons of articles pop up but a lot of them are using pseudo-science or anecdotes to back up their claims that a final cold rinse does anything. We need a real science lab to get on this, because I'm not finding legitimate evidence nor reasonable inference to back up the claims. Just, "well cold water does this and hot water does this and it must do the same to hair cuticles" but no real facts.

The hair world needs a Bill Nye.
I'll try my hand at Bill Nye-ing! :lol:

An acidic rinse can do more to the hair strand itself than cold water as it helps tighten the cuticles. Also a rinse with a separate filtered/ distilled/ acidic water helps a lot for those with hard water. Now the cold water by itself can do two things, tighten cuticles a bit because of less molecular movement from the cold. Very hot water, as some like for the showers can open up the cuticle as well, so cold water would reverse that. I'd say it has more benefit to the scalp in shocking it and stimulating more blood flow, similar to scalp massage.

So for shine - you want an acid rinse, with water that's not too much higher than body temperature body temperature.
For scalp stimulation and growth - cold water rinse on scalp.

Madora
November 18th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I've heard rinsing with cold water is good and bad, but when I wash, I like to do it and have had no ill effects....

Since it's getting cold, I wanted to share that today I found out how to rinse successfully. (I don't mind being in cold water, but don't like being cold so im happy at least)

When the water is still hot, fill your mouth us with water as much as you can....
Then turn it to cold and standing under the water, slowly spit out the warm water.

Worked for me and I could take more than the average 10 seconds (or whatever) of cold water. Yea :)

If it works for you, majesticgoldenr, that's all that counts. For me, my Reynaud's Syndrome would reve up and I'd be cursing the day I ever went near a cold water spigot.

What I do, however, to stand the final cold rinse, is to fill the bathtub with about 2 inches of water as hot as my feet can stand, THEN put all my hair in front of me, take the hand held device, and begin to rinse, albeit as fast as I can. The final rinse does help expel residual shampoo trapped in your hair. It also closes the hair follicles that have been opened during the shampooing process (assuming you were using warm water). And it leaves your hair squeaky clean too!

truepeacenik
November 18th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Anecdotal of course, but I personally see a slight difference.
And don't care for cold water as the last application.
So I either rinse cold mid shower and warm the body back up for two minutes or simply rinse the ends in the sink. By "ends," I mean as much as possible.

fiğrildi
November 18th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I'm always confused by these issues. Like, why do people have these kinds of problems in the first place?

I just arch and lean backwards into the water so just my head is under the spray, if I want to just do something to my head but not the rest. Body does not get wet. Also, I don't think it has to be cold cold water, just cool if you're going to bother at all. This really depends on whether or not you agree that a cold water rinse is useful in the first place.

^ This is exactly how I rinse with cold water (and ACV). My body is not in contact with the cold water (unless I want to do a cold body rinse), so I have no problem at all. And I don't mind to feel the very cold water in my scalp... actually, it's not that unpleasant. Even if it's unpleasant, it's just a couple of seconds!

Seventy7
November 18th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Good tips here. I might even get around to a rinse (other than shower water) at the end of my washes.

Islandgrrl
November 18th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I'd freeze to death. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I really hate cold on my head and I never noticed a difference when I did try the whole cold water rinse thing. A warm vinegar rinse suffices.

RachelRose
December 25th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I am a bit of a weirdo I guess I can't really take the cold rinse , but I can do cool , but after I'm dry or warm I will walk outside in winter lol and swish my dry hair and then come in and smooth it or stick my head on the freezer for 10 seconds (not with wet hair lol ) I tell myself it closes my hair cuticle the same as the wretched ice water :)