PDA

View Full Version : Rain and wood hairtoys

Sunshineliz
November 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I was wearing my ebony finny today outside when it rained on me. I was in a hurry and didn't think about what the rain might do to it until I took it out of my hair later and noticed faint water spots! What can I do for it? And should I just always avoid my untreated wood hairtoys if I think it even MIGHT rain?

Wildcat Diva
November 16th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Yes! I had to change out my Nautilus for some bent knitting needles I had in my car yesterday.

I'm not sure exactly what to do but maybe message Martha. I tried to buff out water spots on an ebony 60th street Amie and I wasn't happy with it and got scratches but maybe I am a doofus.

Lirona
November 16th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I second messaging them to get their advice on how to proceed. My solution to the whole wood toy/rain issue is to carry a plastic bag in my purse, which I put over my bun if it's raining. It actually looks less goofy than you might think, if you tuck the excess plastic under nice and neat... :laugh:

Wildcat Diva
November 16th, 2014, 05:49 PM
That is a great solution! I am so doing that next time.

rags
November 16th, 2014, 05:51 PM
If there is a chance of rain then I usually wear dymondwood or acrylic. And if I get caught our I'll pull the toy out and substitute with my beater Ficcare that lives in my purse. That said, I've had a few rained on with no lasting consequences - but not Baerreis. I agree with messaging Martha to ask her about this.

sourgrl
November 16th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I'm in the habit of checking the weather before I choose my hairtoy for the day. I also keep a waterproof hairtoy in my purse just in case :)

Sunshineliz
November 16th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I've messaged her and hopefully she'll respond soon. Perhaps TMI but I was rubbing my fingers through my hair a lot just before I noticed the water spots and I rubbed the oil from my fingers on it. :D That faded them some and they really aren't that noticeable-- but I notice them, you know?

mira-chan
November 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I generally wear a waterproof jacket hood or have an umbrella over my head when it rains but I'm also careful not to let my wood forks or sticks get wet.

Maybe coating and soaking them in oil would help with the water spots?

Taenarian
November 16th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Not a woodworker and don't play one on LHC! Trust your ebony finny makes a full recovery :)

I know I try to keep an acrylic stick in my purse on days I use a wooden fork, just in case. Came to that conclusion after an unexpected soak from the summer rain.