PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get anxious before a trim?

calmyogi
November 16th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I just moved in September to an entirely different state and have been dreading that needing to find a new person to trim my hair moment. Having realized yesterday that it was getting to be that time..... I woke up early this morning after having a nightmare that the hairdresser cut my past APL hair to my chin. Lol. Does anyone else get anxiety before a trim or from the thought of going to someone new?

(If there was another post on this topic I wasn't successful at finding it)

MeAndTheMaz
November 16th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I'm planning on getting another trim this year, and I'm not really looking forward to it. I don't have that special someone who can actually follow instructions, so I get what I get.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a self trim method for us shorties (shoulderish).

calmyogi
November 16th, 2014, 06:19 AM
I'm planning on getting another trim this year, and I'm not really looking forward to it. I don't have that special someone who can actually follow instructions, so I get what I get.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a self trim method for us shorties (shoulderish).

There is and I think it's fairly easy if you have no layers. Check out YouTube :). I'm afraid of myself with scissors more than anyone else lol. I had that special someone until I moved :(.

Hotrox
November 16th, 2014, 06:20 AM
At APL you could easily trim it yourself following Feye's self trim method. You'll save yourself nightmares and money!!

i just saw your scissor fear comment, I would suggest just giving it a go and trim off just a few mmm until you feel confident with the method results.

If you're really set against self trimming maybe ask someone you know with long hair where they get theirs done.

calmyogi
November 16th, 2014, 06:21 AM
I also have layers :-/ Something I chose to do before I decided to grow so long. I like the shape they give, but sometimes for trimming purposes, I wish I had a straight hemline.

MeowScat
November 16th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I'd google reviews on local hair stylists.

Also, I completely understand the trim fear. I fear it so much, I haven't been to a salon in 4 years. I micro trim it myself now, but I was freaking terrified the first time I picked up a scissor. Then I realized, if I'm just snipping off a tiny bit, even if I mess it up, it won't be noticable.

You can S&D your layers to cut any splits off in the meantime.

calmyogi
November 16th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I'd google reviews on local hair stylists.

Also, I completely understand the trim fear. I fear it so much, I haven't been to a salon in 4 years. I micro trim it myself now, but I was freaking terrified the first time I picked up a scissor. Then I realized, if I'm just snipping off a tiny bit, even if I mess it up, it won't be noticable.

You can S&D your layers to cut any splits off in the meantime.

I'm usually successful with getting what I want when I go in because I lay on them so thick about what I want I make them too nervous to mess up lol. I'm still scared when I go in none the less though.

kganihanova
November 16th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Nope :) I do them all myself!

ZeppHead
November 16th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Always but I haven't been to a salon in years because they are oblivious to my wants and needs regardless of me telling them and trying to convey I want a trim not a cut.

I have since relied on my boyfriend or myself for my trims and these always come out how I want. No more than half an inch off....and free! :)

kaibo
November 16th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I like to trim parts of my hair myself, and having curly hair for me is an advantage because if I go wrong, its not noticable, but my mum likes me to get my hair cut by a hairdresser occasionally. She always ends up questioning me about the strange lengths, and tries to do the best she can, but I still worry about her cutting it all really short to match some of the shorter bits in my hair(mainly areas prone to getting split ends)

Eastbound&Down
November 16th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Yes, to the point that I've stopped going to salons at all. I moved across the country and it haven't trusted anyone with my hair since I got here, unless my plan was to chop it all off. I just don't trust that they will listen to me. HOWEVER, if you don't trust yourself with scissors, I would go in and suggest talking to the hairdresser before you get in the chair and make sure they know exactly what you want and if you feel confident that they understand then do it, if not walk away.

Johannah
November 16th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Yes, and that's why I trim with feye's method. One of the best decisions I ever made!

DreamSheep
November 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Not really in the past, but maybe when I get a Christmas trim I may be a bit more worried. However, I think as long as you are very clear about what you want, and especially, what you don't want, it will all be fine. :)

calmyogi
November 16th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Yes, to the point that I've stopped going to salons at all. I moved across the country and it haven't trusted anyone with my hair since I got here, unless my plan was to chop it all off. I just don't trust that they will listen to me. HOWEVER, if you don't trust yourself with scissors, I would go in and suggest talking to the hairdresser before you get in the chair and make sure they know exactly what you want and if you feel confident that they understand then do it, if not walk away.

That's what I plan to do. If I had the straight hemline I would trust myself to do it myself but until then I'll just have to put fear into them before they put their scissors to my hair lol.

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Yes I used to get nervous before going to the salon and even now as a self bang trimmer and self trimmer in the past. I got nervous and still get nervous trimming my own bangs.

blue_eyes
November 16th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Ever since I began trying to grow my hair out I haven't been able to get my hair "trimmed" at a salon. I know it'll set me back by at least 4 months. Any time I'd go to the salon and ask for a trim the stylist took it as "please cut off all my dye damage" and chop off 2-4 inches. The idea that I may be slowly trying to have dye damage trimmed off seemed to be a completely outrageous to them. Realistically I know that I do need a good 4 inches cut off right now, but I really don't want to lose that much length. I don't trust a stylist to actually understand this and only take off a centimeter.

I've done Feye's method a few times over the past year, and even that terrifies me :P I don't trust myself to do it properly. My hair is naturally straight, so any unevenness is very obvious.

höpönasu
November 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Yes because they always cut more than I want to. Even when I've clearly stated I only want my hair to be trimmed. I'd love to go and get my hair dusted in a salon, as a nice treat for myself. I'd also like to go and get a hair treatment but I doubt they use oils. I don't even have a salon nearby who does 'dusting' and 'hair treatments'.

lapushka
November 16th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I have layers as well. There are two at-home cut techniques called "compact cuts". You can snip your hair in one go and instantly your entire head is layered. Method 1/ ponytail on top of your head (longer layers). Method 2/ ponytail on top of your forehead (short layers). My hair is cut with method 2/ and it is layered from TBL all the way to BSL. I love it. Wouldn't recommend it for hair shorter than BSL as you might be surprised just with how short the layering effect is.

Elly May
November 16th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I am VERY blessed to have someone I trust. I have known her since she was about 3--she grew up with my son and they are both 23 now. She was always painfully shy but we got along very well because we both love and have horses. When she decided to go to cosmetology school, I went with her as her guinea pig (this was before I started growing my hair.) Going to school was very hard for her to do because she was incredibly shy, but she was comfortable enough with me and I am the first person's hair she ever cut, and whatever she was learning (NOT PERMS!) I let her practice on me. It all turned out surprisingly well! :) Now she is my permanent stylist (how could I ever go anywhere else?) but since I'm growing, I never get trims. We do still ride together as much as possible--can't miss that! The tables have really turned from me taking care of her as a 3 year old to her taking care of my hair and helping me with my horses. An accident almost 5 years ago messed up my leg and I am working on riding again VERY CAREFULLY with her help as I will never be the rider I was before--no complaints, at least I can try riding now! Many people are not so fortunate...

Did I mention that she has the most beautiful head of BSL hair???? Incredible hair and she doesn't even try!

calmyogi
November 17th, 2014, 05:44 AM
I have layers as well. There are two at-home cut techniques called "compact cuts". You can snip your hair in one go and instantly your entire head is layered. Method 1/ ponytail on top of your head (longer layers). Method 2/ ponytail on top of your forehead (short layers). My hair is cut with method 2/ and it is layered from TBL all the way to BSL. I love it. Wouldn't recommend it for hair shorter than BSL as you might be surprised just with how short the layering effect is.

Thank you lapushka! Would you not recommend either method until the hair is longer, or just method 2?

I am VERY blessed to have someone I trust. I have known her since she was about 3--she grew up with my son and they are both 23 now. She was always painfully shy but we got along very well because we both love and have horses. When she decided to go to cosmetology school, I went with her as her guinea pig (this was before I started growing my hair.) Going to school was very hard for her to do because she was incredibly shy, but she was comfortable enough with me and I am the first person's hair she ever cut, and whatever she was learning (NOT PERMS!) I let her practice on me. It all turned out surprisingly well! :) Now she is my permanent stylist (how could I ever go anywhere else?) but since I'm growing, I never get trims. We do still ride together as much as possible--can't miss that! The tables have really turned from me taking care of her as a 3 year old to her taking care of my hair and helping me with my horses. An accident almost 5 years ago messed up my leg and I am working on riding again VERY CAREFULLY with her help as I will never be the rider I was before--no complaints, at least I can try riding now! Many people are not so fortunate...

Did I mention that she has the most beautiful head of BSL hair???? Incredible hair and she doesn't even try!

What a sweet story, Thank you for sharing it. I have a friend who has hair like that. Doesn't even try and it grows so strong and thick! It's hard not to stick bubble gum in it sometimes..... Ok no I would never! But she chops it off all the time! Lol

Bene
November 17th, 2014, 05:50 AM
No. I make it really really really clear to the stylist what I want done. And I make them repeat to me my instructions, and show me with their fingers how much we're talking about, so we're on the same page. Never had any problems with anyone going scissor happy on me.

Carolyn
November 17th, 2014, 06:47 AM
If I was going to a new stylist, yes I think I would be nervous. Right now I have a wonderful stylist and we have great communication. No nerves with her at all. I know she will do exactly what I want. We always have a detailed discussion before any hair is cut. I had another wonderful stylist before her at the same salon but she quit to stay home with her children and handed me over to Megan. I think having a regular stylist is key here. You get to know them and they get to know you. If I have to find a new stylist some day I plan to go to an Aveda salon and request a stylist who likes to work with long hair. I think Aveda stylists have excellent training and they seem to really want to keep their clients happy and coming back as opposed to satisfying their own creativity. That's just my experience with 5 Aveda stylists and besides the salons smell heavenly.

lapushka
November 17th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Thank you lapushka! Would you not recommend either method until the hair is longer, or just method 2?

Either one, but particularly I wouldn't recommend method 2/ for hair shorter than BSL - you'll end up with short face-framing layers.

calmyogi
November 17th, 2014, 07:51 AM
If I was going to a new stylist, yes I think I would be nervous. Right now I have a wonderful stylist and we have great communication. No nerves with her at all. I know she will do exactly what I want. We always have a detailed discussion before any hair is cut. I had another wonderful stylist before her at the same salon but she quit to stay home with her children and handed me over to Megan. I think having a regular stylist is key here. You get to know them and they get to know you. If I have to find a new stylist some day I plan to go to an Aveda salon and request a stylist who likes to work with long hair. I think Aveda stylists have excellent training and they seem to really want to keep their clients happy and coming back as opposed to satisfying their own creativity. That's just my experience with 5 Aveda stylists and besides the salons smell heavenly.

I think there is an varda salon in my area. Thank you for that tid bit! I live in a more urban area now but am overwhelmed by everything I have at my finger tips that I have been living without my whole life, living in more isolated areas.

RachelRose
December 23rd, 2014, 08:06 PM
I get nervous before trims I made an appointment the other day and them canceled . I did a s&d session and committed to no trims til at least next May . We'll maybe a self micro trim but that's it !