PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need motivation to not chop!

Lady Una
November 15th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I have been trying to grow my hair out to classic...I measured it this morning and it's 37 1/2 inches, which is BCL on me. Problem...I'm really unmotivated to grow it right now! I keep on thinking, if I trim it back to waist (so I'd be losing about 5 1/2 inches) it would be so much easier to take care of...and all my friends (none of whom have hair as long as mine) are encouraging me to get it cut!

Also, it's really tapering in those last few inches past the waist...I don't mind the fairytale ends but I hate the way my braid tapers down to almost nothing. But I know if I cut it I'll be really sorry since it took me a year to grow it from waist to BCL!

Does anybody have any ideas for me to stay motivated? Also...does anybody know of good buns other than the cinnabun that work well (and can be put up quickly) with BCL hair that is very slippery and wants to come out of any style I put it in?

fairy_hair
November 15th, 2014, 06:10 PM
If you feel the need to cut it because of the taper, try cutting maximum 5mm of growth each month off - this is what I've been doing for the past couple months,and it seems to be dealing with taper actually quite well! Plus, you still get most of your growth in length :D Microtrimming keeps the ends healthy and regularly maintained, which is good if you want to keep it cut and neat :) I'm going for classic as well - You can do this if you really want it! Don't listen to your friends, if this is want you want, you do it! :D

minaa
November 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Why not follow fairy_hair's suggestion? I think about a single two inch trim would give you a big boost in personal confidence over how your hair looks, and won't feel like a huge setback, and you can decide in the next month or so if it's worth it to trim back again. I like the nautilus and messy wrap bun, right now, along with the figure-8 bun. Why not switch between those?

MsPharaohMoan
November 15th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Ah, the brioche bun I have recently found (similar to a knot bun) to be awesome at holding hair up!

kganihanova
November 15th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Start microtrimming! It works wonders for hair confidence.

spidermom
November 15th, 2014, 07:49 PM
I like braids pinned up personally; it can be such a pretty and elegant-looking style. But don't cut until you reach your goal. It's good practice for more important goals. Tiny trims are all right.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 15th, 2014, 07:53 PM
If you feel the need to cut it because of the taper, try cutting maximum 5mm of growth each month off - this is what I've been doing for the past couple months,and it seems to be dealing with taper actually quite well! Plus, you still get most of your growth in length :D Microtrimming keeps the ends healthy and regularly maintained, which is good if you want to keep it cut and neat :) I'm going for classic as well - You can do this if you really want it! Don't listen to your friends, if this is want you want, you do it! :D

This - plus keep it up and forget about it! Enjoy having hair longer and more spectacular than your friends! You CAN do it!

teddygirl
November 15th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I like to look at pinterest long hair pins when I have an urge to chop. You see how beautiful it is and don't want to get rid anymore!

Lady Una
November 15th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Thank you all! I think I may try microtrimming...and work on new buns (I've gotten really sick of the standard cinnabun). :) That really helps. I don't think I'll feel as inclined to chop now. :)

MeowScat
November 16th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I remember when my hair was 37 inches, the taper was ridiculous and I wanted to cut it. I decided to ignore it instead and put it up in a bun every single day and night. I took some pics recently and saw that it's reached upper thigh. I'm so glad I didn't cut it. Just a small microtrim every year or two.

I use the Lazy Wrap Bun everyday. I learned it from this video by JJJ Longhair.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eGfJiBWwvpU

Nymphea
November 16th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Don't cut it (or don't cut it right now)!

I'm on the similar boat as you (going forth and back from waist to TBL with classic as my goal length) so I can understand you perfectly.

First try with microtrims, as already suggested. It will help your ends get thicker and it will also help you to find out if it is the length that you are not satisfied with, or the tapering ends. When the tapering ends are gone and you get the full BCL hemline, you'll see what next.

I did the same and when I saw that it was the length that made me feel somewhat uncomfortable (it was feeling too long - I know, hard to believe!), I cut it back to waist, then got to TBL, then back to hip etc. I'm currently playing with my waist-to-TBL lengths trying to rid all of the possible damage here and there but I'm really comfortable with that right now.

Don't cut it for friends. Only you should decide what's best for you! :)

hanne jensen
November 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I agree with all the other posters. Microtrim every month, oil your ends, and put your hair up and forget about it.