PDA

View Full Version : If you're past fingertip length...

darklyndsea
November 15th, 2014, 04:27 PM
How do you separate your ends when you french or dutch braid?

My hair was being nice enough today that I went through with it, and it wasn't bad (by my standards) except that I couldn't reach my ends to comb them out. I pick them up when I'm combing normally, but I couldn't while I was braiding because I had to hold the braid with my other hand.

HaMalka
November 15th, 2014, 04:37 PM
When I french or dutch braid and I need to separate my ends I hold the braid in one hand and then use the other to separate the ends. I either use my teeth or twist my head to the side to reach.

Madora
November 16th, 2014, 03:02 AM
How do you separate your ends when you french or dutch braid?

My hair was being nice enough today that I went through with it, and it wasn't bad (by my standards) except that I couldn't reach my ends to comb them out. I pick them up when I'm combing normally, but I couldn't while I was braiding because I had to hold the braid with my other hand.

Yes, it is a sticky wicket, isn't it?!

I don't actually French braid any longer but I do lace accent braiding on my knee length hair.

The secret is to braid by the inversion process...i.e. with all my hair down, detangled, in front of me while I'm seated. * see below

If you are French/Dutch braiding while standing, then your only other alternative is to try and shake the ends loose..which doesn't always work. It always helps to have the hair you are working on be as free from snarls/mats as possible and make sure that your hair isn't "grabby/cranky" from buildup. The silkier your hair is, the easier it is to "shake out" when avoiding self braiding.

* how to braid inverted How to do the inverted fake lace crown braid
Preliminaries:
1 Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
2 Detangle hair thoroughly with wide tooth comb
3 Make sure hair is straight and has no bumps from back to front
Begin to braid - (head slightly lowered)
1 Take a small section of hair from just in front of the right ear and about 2 inches IN from the front of your head. You want to preserve a small band of hair in the front of the actual lace braid.
2 Divide your hair in 3 sections. Check for tangles!
3 Make ONE complete crossover - that is: right strands over CENTER strands, HOLD, RAKE)
then LEFT strands over center strands, HOLD, RAKE
4 Right strands over CENTER strands, HOLD, RAKE
5 Carve a small section of hair down your head (back to front). You are working on hair that is to your LEFT SIDE. Add that section you just carved to the CENTER SECTION of the braid you just started. Pinch the CENTER section to hold in place, RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
6 Take RIGHT section and bring it over CENTER SECTION. PINCH center section to hold in place,
RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
7 CARVE a small section of hair down your head. You are working on hair that is to your LEFT side. Add the section you just carved to the CENTER SECTION of the braid you are working on. PINCH CENTER SECTION, RAKE all strands to keep them separate!
8 Take RIGHT SECTION and bring it over CENTER SECTION. PINCH center section to hold in place, RAKE all strands to keep them separate.
Continue working in this way, always ADDING hair from your LEFT to the Center Section, until you reach just in front of your left ear. Stop lace braiding.
FINISHING the lace braid in front - stop lace braiding when you reach the top of your other ear.
Gather all your hair in one hand, gently detangle and then divide hair in 3 sections. Dutch braid the remaining hair. The first crossover should be snug, to help avoid any saging where the braid technique changes from lace braiding to regular dutch/english braiding.
Braid to end. Fasten with hair friendly elastic.
Take the braid and direct it around the back of your head and up to where you started the lace braiding. Tuck the tassle under the lace braiding section.
Secure with crimped hairpins! Voila! You have created the fake lace crown braid (fake, because only the FRONT is a lace crown braid. The rest is a single Dutch/English braid.
** TIPS ** Hold your hands/elbows UP while braiding! You are trying to lift your hair up, ever so slightly. Braid a little loosely! The center section should be pulled ever so slightly more than the other 2 strands. Don't pull hard!
Keep your fingers IN your hair, close to the scalp, while you are braiding.
Once you reach the middle of your forehead area, begin to turn your head slightly to the RIGHT and angle the braid towards the back of your head.

LauraLongLocks
November 16th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I'm not past fingertip, but have been very curious about this. I saw this video of french braiding super length hair and it answered some of my curiosity.

http://youtu.be/OhGrcvz3dho?list=UUVYelLpTSZ39fxfYZU5mpuw

Edit: Sorry the video is only viewable on Youtube. It looks like it takes a LOT of patience to french braid such long hair.

Anabell
November 16th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I will look foreward for useful tips. My hair is the same length as yours. I find myself french\dutch braid less and less as my hair goes longer. But it maybe out of laziness. When I do french braid I put the elbow of the holding hand in between the strands I am willing to separate and it helps to eat some length so I can reach the ends with the free hand. Hope it makes sense. Anyway, it is not impossible. Just require lots of practice at the beginning. This LHC member keep inspiring me:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sirius-hairtoys/395445170503838?ref=hl
If it is possible with floor length hair it will be with my shorty mid thigh (hopefully knee one day) length hair.

hypersensitive
November 16th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I'm not past fingertip
Edit: Sorry the video is only viewable on Youtube. It looks like it takes a LOT of patience to french braid such long hair.

It doesn't take me that long to French braid hair. Granted, she did it carefully but you just need to be mindful in preventing the ends from tangling.

I like how she wraps it around her waist when it gets longer than her arms can reach. I need to try that.

darklyndsea
November 16th, 2014, 09:50 PM
My hair is only that un-tangly for about 5 seconds after I finish combing. Shaking the tangles out like that won't work for me.

Why is it that for every hair problem I have, the solution seems to be "have different hair"?